Official Neilson Out Thread ( merged )

best in the land

Weakened Offender
37 minutes ago, martoon said:

Of course I'd be pleased.

I would have been delighted if we'd won the Cup in December. What a boost it would have been for Hearts and also Robbie Neilson. 

The knock on effect and feelgood factor would have been tremendous.

The suggestion that any Hearts supporter doesn't want Hearts to be successful is about the daftest thing I've read on here.

Quite an achievement. 👏 

I honestly think there is a sizable minority of our online support who take great pleasure in our failings. 

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

Guest ToqueJambo
29 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I only respond to the Brora thing when it is suggested it should be swept under the carpet.  

When I attend games Neilson will have my support like every other hearts manager. But I’ve been going long enough to see how this plays out. Once you reach a point where the majority of the fans want you gone, and the rest simply tolerate you - then it’s finished. 

there are no hearts fans out there I don’t believe who’d be genuinely upset to see the guy go. 

And if results and performances improve, which they have in the last few games?

Neilson isn't a normal situation. I've never seen a manager hounded like he was when doing a perfectly decent - more than decent - job in his first spell. November 20th, this thread started. Top of the league, scoring for fun, beat Hibs in the semi and there's a manager out thread after our first defeat. It's really not normal. Ever thought that that kind of behaviour actually contributed to the later much worse results - kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy thing?

I mean look at the start of this thread - look at all the many folk agreeing with a manager out thread at that stage of the season. Mental, and totally agenda driven by a relatively small number of people. Now others have jumped on their bus, but how helpful do you think is it to have people so determined to get one manager out that they go to those lengths?

A bus full of arseholes like them is not one I'm jumping on. I'll just drive behind in my Mini Metro glaring at them and shaking my head.

Edited by ToqueJambo

12 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

What you mean is it will be brought up by people such as yourself who refuse to move on. 

Shit results happen and the important thing is how you react and learn lessons. 

Spend all your time looking back and you'll never improve. 

I think for many it's as much about looking forward as it is back and It just doesn't good. That's what depresses me. There's little to suggest that Hearts are going to be successful, entertaining, ambitious or anything close to what I'd like them to be.

I don't think Neilson has it in him to learn lessons or improve as a coach.

5 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I honestly think there is a sizable minority of our online support who take great pleasure in our failings. 

Sadly, failings have been plentiful over the last 4/5 years. 

Sometimes online criticism, particularly uncensored, can look gleeful but almost all would rather be posting about how wonderful Hearts are.

I would. Although my posts have hardly been gleeful recently. Quite the opposite.

The remaining few are probably crackpots.

Just change the thread to Neilson gone, to save countless pages of pish between now and when it inevitably happens.

kingantti1874
37 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

What you mean is it will be brought up by people such as yourself who refuse to move on. 

Shit results happen and the important thing is how you react and learn lessons. 

Spend all your time looking back and you'll never improve. 

I gave Robbie Neilson my support until it was clear that he hadn’t learned lessons.  Week after week after week the same mistakes, the same sluggish football, the players playing out of position, the excuses. I supported him after a humiliating cup loss to Alloa, only for him to exceed that at Brora.

We will never improve if we don’t have the right people in charge. “Hoping” Robbie Neilson becomes a competent  manager won’t actually make him a competent manager. He is managing a club several levels above his ability

21 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Ever thought that that kind of behaviour actually contributed to the later much worse results - kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy thing?

That is blame shifting of epic proportions. 

I have been feeling partly responsible for the Brora defeat.

The performance at Morton was definitely down to me.

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

I gave Robbie Neilson my support until it was clear that he hadn’t learned lessons.  Week after week after week the same mistakes, the same sluggish football, the players playing out of position, the excuses. I supported him after a humiliating cup loss to Alloa, only for him to exceed that at Brora.

We will never improve if we don’t have the right people in charge. “Hoping” Robbie Neilson becomes a competent  manager won’t actually make him a competent manager. He is managing a club several levels above his ability

Wasting time and money the longer he stays. Please go with a bit of dignity Robbie. 

26 minutes ago, martoon said:

I think for many it's as much about looking forward as it is back and It just doesn't good. That's what depresses me. There's little to suggest that Hearts are going to be successful, entertaining, ambitious or anything close to what I'd like them to be.

I don't think Neilson has it in him to learn lessons or improve as a coach.

...doesn't look good.

34 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

And if results and performances improve, which they have in the last few games?

Neilson isn't a normal situation. I've never seen a manager hounded like he was when doing a perfectly decent - more than decent - job in his first spell. November 20th, this thread started. Top of the league, scoring for fun, beat Hibs in the semi and there's a manager out thread after our first defeat. It's really not normal. Ever thought that that kind of behaviour actually contributed to the later much worse results - kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy thing?

I mean look at the start of this thread - look at all the many folk agreeing with a manager out thread at that stage of the season. Mental, and totally agenda driven by a relatively small number of people. Now others have jumped on their bus, but how helpful do you think is it to have people so determined to get one manager out that they go to those lengths?

Just like with Levein, some see it quicker/earlier than others.

Don't beat yourself up about it..

Guest ToqueJambo
24 minutes ago, martoon said:

That is blame shifting of epic proportions. 

I have been feeling partly responsible for the Brora defeat.

The performance at Morton was definitely down to me.

Nah you're right, constant negativity always yields the best results.

Guest ToqueJambo
21 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Just like with Levein, some see it quicker/earlier than others.

Yeah, the plane hirers are geniuses 🤣

As for Levein, no-one saw him starting 18/19 the way he did and nearly winning us the SC did they? They went all quiet for a few months then reappeared when we got all the injuries and everything went pear shaped. Oracles they are.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, Gambo said:

Just like with Levein, some see it quicker/earlier than others.

...and It was so obvious.

We were hurtling down a dead end street with signposts screaming things like:

APPLY YOUR BRAKES

THIS IS A ROAD TO NOWHERE

U-TURN IMMEDIATELY 

No one required Shankly-esqe powers to see that Hearts were failing yet some backed Levein right to the bitter end.

Pretty much the same few who'll back Budge and Neilson to the same bitter end.

siegementality
2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Unfortunately, I think you're right. But that says everything about the state of the club right now and a lot of our fans  : that getting beat by a village team who'd played 3 games all season and hadn't trained for (10?) weeks isn't a big deal.  

Basically so long as the club scrapes along for the next few  years long enough to pay back our Dear Leader her £3 million , that's all that matters. 

I have maybe had too much wine tonight (there’s no mights about it by the way) but remind me why we still owe Budge £3million. Cheers.

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Nah you're right, constant negativity always yields the best results.

At least the tone of your replies have improved, TJ.

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

As for Levein, no-one saw him starting 18/19 the way he did and nearly winning us the SC did they? They went all quiet for a few months then reappeared when we got all the injuries and everything went pear shaped. Oracles they are.

🤣😂😅😆

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

If only Covid had been about then and the first lockdown started when we were on top of the league then the cup final was awarded to us after Edwards scored due to an emergency second lockdown. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, martoon said:

...and It was so obvious.

We were hurtling down a dead end street with signposts screaming things like:

APPLY YOUR BRAKES

THIS IS A ROAD TO NOWHERE

U-TURN IMMEDIATELY 

No one required Shankly-esqe powers to see that Hearts were failing yet some backed Levein right to the bitter end.

Pretty much the same few who'll back Budge and Neilson to the same bitter end.

Folk gave him a chance after the cup final and because of the way we'd started with a new team that season. He then made what were heralded as good signings that summer and we got screwed by injuries again. Then he couldn't turn it around - which is where he ultimately failed. But yeah, everyone saw all that coming. Crazy how so many can predict the bad stuff but not the good stuff.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Gambo said:

🤣😂😅😆

Indeed. A cacophony of clowns.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

If only Covid had been about then and the first lockdown started when we were on top of the league then the cup final was awarded to us after Edwards scored due to an emergency second lockdown. 

I was thinking if only Naismith hadn't got crocked early in that semi, but your parallel universe is better.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Folk gave him a chance after the cup final and because of the way we'd started with a new team that season. He then made what were heralded as good signings that summer and we got screwed by injuries again. Then he couldn't turn it around - which is where he ultimately failed. But yeah, everyone saw all that coming. Crazy how so many can predict the bad stuff but not the good stuff.

Many did, including me. Long before and after the 2019 final. The posts are there if you want to dig them out.

I can't be arsed, doubt very much you can, but they are there.

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

**** off

That I also saw coming.

Guest ToqueJambo

So are folk still going to be demanding Neilson's head a few days before the start of the season? Because that would be sensible. 

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

So are folk still going to be demanding Neilson's head a few days before the start of the season? Because that would be sensible. 

You'll have won our hearts and minds by then.

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Indeed. A cacophony of clowns.

Some could see through that start to that season that things were not great, and as for that cup run.....must have been the easiest draw/run we have had in a cup......until we drew Brora.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, martoon said:

Many did, including me. Long before and after the 2019 final. The posts are there if you want to dig them out.

I can't be arsed, doubt very much you can, but they are there.

Me, I saw what was coming if the people calling for Neilson's head first time around got their wish. And was right.

I also saw what could come if we replaced Levein mid season, even though by the end I thought **** it bin him and put everyone, including him, out of their misery. However, I did think a new manager might not have time to turn it around and Levein with injured players back would probably keep us up. Also right, I think he would have got better results than Stendel with Souttar, Naismith, Washington, Walker and co back for the run in. I also thought the moment Neilson was appointed, we'd skoosh the league. Also right. Didn't think we'd beat Hibs and nearly beat Celtic or lose to Brora though, so no points for me there. I did think we'd probably get pumped out the LC in embarrassing fashion, so a bonus point for me there.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, martoon said:

You'll have won our hearts and minds by then.

I'm being serous, at some point you have to accept we're starting the season with Neilson and calling for the managers head at that stage is just a tiny bit futile and unhelpful to anyone.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Some could see through that start to that season that things were not great, and as for that cup run.....must have been the easiest draw/run we have had in a cup......until we drew Brora.

JJ's in 98 was easier.

It doesn’t really matter. Results at the start of the season will set the tone. A poor start and pressure will build, a good start and pressure will ease rapidly. Simple as that tbh. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Gambo said:

JJ's team WON the cup.

You said the cup run to get there. Didn't play a single Premier League team in 97/98 until the final did we?

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It doesn’t really matter. Results at the start of the season will set the tone. A poor start and pressure will build, a good start and pressure will ease rapidly. Simple as that tbh. 

And how should fans act at the first game then and after the first defeat?

Edited by ToqueJambo

If fans are at the ground I’d imagine they’ll be pretty vocal and behind the team after such a long time away from the ground. Depends who the first defeat is against I’d think. How do you think fans will act. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Just now, GinRummy said:

If fans are at the ground I’d imagine they’ll be pretty vocal and behind the team after such a long time away from the ground. Depends who the first defeat is against I’d think. How do you think fans will act. 

Then why not start now? 

Going by this season we could be unbeaten, scoring for fun, and have pumped Hibs and the manager's head will be demanded after ur first loss to Hamilton or whoever. Is that acceptable or normal behaviour?

It has become normalised for some Hearts fans it seems, but it's not normal.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm being serous, at some point you have to accept we're starting the season with Neilson and calling for the managers head at that stage is just a tiny bit futile and unhelpful to anyone.

A summer of great recruitment might help ease the discontent before the season starts but the performances and results will have to start immediately.

I genuinely hope you, Tosh, Al and others are right, TJ. I really do.

It would largely depend on whether it was Hibs that dealt the defeat.

Just now, Morgan said:

Now that's what I call a grenade, Morg. 😁

Just now, martoon said:

Now that's what I call a grenade, Morg. 😁

Morgrenade.  :sweeet:

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Not sure about that. We beat them this season against the odds. Not long after, "Neilson Oot" So basically win or lose some have it in for him.

The hatred some have for Neilson is so strange. It was in his first season and it has been this season. Levein I could understand, he's not everyone's cup of tea. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Then why not start now? 

Going by this season we could be unbeaten, scoring for fun, and have pumped Hibs and the manager's head will be demanded after ur first loss to Hamilton or whoever. Is that acceptable or normal behaviour?

It has become normalised for some Hearts fans it seems, but it's not normal.

I can’t speak for everyone else but I’m not going to pretend I think robbie is good enough to manage hearts when I don’t believe he is. I’ve been mostly sticking to the transfer thread on here and avoiding this discussion recently though. 

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I can’t speak for everyone else but I’m not going to pretend I think robbie is good enough to manage hearts when I don’t believe he is. I’ve been mostly sticking to the transfer thread on here and avoiding this discussion recently though. 

I keep trying to get myself banned from this thread by swearing but it's not working.

I keep trying to get myself banned from this thread by swearing but it's not working.

Try something else then.  🤷🏿‍♂️

Just don’t come on it if it winds you up. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, GinRummy said:

Just don’t come on it if it winds you up. 

No, because the problem is the idiots who started this thread and the many others who thought it was a reasonable thread to start have been enabled by the lack of condemnation. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Try something else then.  🤷🏿‍♂️

Can't resist. Log in hoping someone is talking Hearts up for a change, then get triggered.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

November 20th does seem to indicate most people on this thread were waiting anxiously for the first opportunity to kick the boy in the nuts.

Which makes me wonder why he came back for more of this. 

The other anomaly I don't get,  people say he can't change when he was mostly criticised for being the tinkerman first time around. 

Whether he is right or wrong what is for sure, quite a few folk would contradict themselves happily to disagree with him.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

November 20th does seem to indicate most people on this thread were waiting anxiously for the first opportunity to kick the boy in the nuts.

The other anomaly I don't get,  people say he can't change when he was mostly criticised for being the tinkerman first time around. 

Whether he is right or wrong what is for sure, quite a few folk would contradict themselves happily to disagree with him.

I also wonder this. But fair play to him. Shows cojonies. Much braver to go around putting up "phoodle" posters though.

As for the inconsistencies in their arguments, they're all over the shop. They all thought the Hibs semi would be their opportunity, but the team didn't comply. The Brora result was the one they needed and Neilson (and the players who are probably delighted about the attention on Neilson as they were very much to blame as well) unfortunately gave it to them.

Edited by ToqueJambo

kingantti1874
22 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

You are fundamentally missing the point with that third paragraph. His inability to learn that his constant tinkering is a bad idea that’s the problem. 

Peoplw don’t actually want him to constantly ***** about with players in the wrong positions .

Guest ToqueJambo
18 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

You are fundamentally missing the point with that third paragraph. His inability to learn that his constant tinkering is a bad idea that’s the problem. 

Peoplw don’t actually want him to constantly ***** about with players in the wrong positions .

One person's tinkering is another's trying to find the best combination of players or formation. I'm actually fairly meh about Neilson as a manager believe it or not, I just don't think he deserves the stick he gets from some quarters and I think he should get some time. He's a solid appointment for me, someone who did very well the first time around, and who has the potential to get better as he's young and not stuck in his ways yet. I've said loads of times his cup record is mostly terrible.

But I don't see him tinkering much more than other managers. All managers change things up to an extent during a season, whether due to injuries, bringing players in etc. It's also very common to "tinker" when you're new to the job. Stendel did. All managers do. I'd rather have someone like Neilson who is open to switching tactics etc up than Stendel and Cathro who seemed fixed to their vision of football. The only manager we've had who was completely predictable in how he set teams up, the players he liked, and how he played, I can think of was JJ. And he was older than Neilson is now when he first managed Hearts.

Edited by ToqueJambo