Official Neilson Out Thread ( merged )

best in the land

sandylejambo
16 minutes ago, jambonian said:

There will be a few more "blips" still to happen next season, of that i'm certain.

He's not going anywhere right now unfortunately and we can't do anything to change that so we just have to accept it. His signings will tell if he is wanting to go back to his favourite side-to-side containment, dull football or if he's learned that the system used in the last few games is more suitable to the squad we have, and add a few to play that system. If he does then we might have a "respectable" season. If he doesn't and he signs players to return to his favoured style then mid-bottom six is a possibility. Whether Ann thinks that's acceptable is on her.

Ann thinks its acceptable to loose to Brora and get cuffed at home by QOS and Raith, if she did not then Neilson would be history and he's not. She has accepted these results and is happy to keep the manager in place, she is now the problem that needs gone from our club.

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, Hackney Hearts said:

There's no disputing that the Hibs team of 1973 was better than the Brora team of 2021. 

But I know which result I'd rather not have in the history books (the one from 48 years ago, to be clear). Cup shocks happen - people forget about them after a time. Record defeats to your city rivals are brought up for eternity. "Worse", imho.

I would agree. After the Brora game I wasn't even that fussed such is the complete lack of passion I have at the moment under the clubs current stewardship and I really wasn't that shocked by it. 

Every single defeat by Hibs in my lifetime has hurt me more than the  Brora result probably because I couldn't have cared less at that point.

davemclaren

I actually found the Killie defeat to Inverness Thistle in an article from a couple of years ago about the 10 worse Scottish cup defeats. 

We were already in it with the home 0 - 1 defeat to Forfar and the 4 - 0 away defeat to Falkirk. I guess we might have three entries now. 

siegementality
4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I actually found the Killie defeat to Inverness Thistle in an article from a couple of years ago about the 10 worse Scottish cup defeats. 

We were already in it with the home 0 - 1 defeat to Forfar and the 4 - 0 away defeat to Falkirk. I guess we might have three entries now. 

With Brora being the worst of them.

jambonian
11 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

Ann thinks its acceptable to loose to Brora and get cuffed at home by QOS and Raith, if she did not then Neilson would be history and he's not. She has accepted these results and is happy to keep the manager in place, she is now the problem that needs gone from our club.

The sad thing is, i was actually not looking forward to that Brora game. I had a bad feeling about it when the draw was made but thought i should stop being ridiculous, pull myself together and be more positive. Of course we'll beat them! A potential run in the Scottish Cup for the taking? Something a bit more uplifting to the Championship? What's not to like? Oh well.....there's always next season!

Edited by jambonian

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

🤫  it wasn’t that bad 😂

I mean Brora rangers “total” wage bill is less than £3k per week (1/60th) of our own but I suppose that doesn’t tell the full story - I mean they are usually pushed on by their noisy support who average 142 per game so we should probably just accept it! 

https://sortitoutsi.net/football-manager-2019/team/1545/brora-rangers

(note: ally Macdonald is apparently worth £300m according to this. He must have made the difference 😆)

The Hearts of the Kelty variety seemed to handle them ok in the first leg up there. Maybe they play better when they can’t train or play 🤪😆?!?!

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Quite honestly , I'm bored to death with Neilson : a guy who persevered with a system that was dire , wasn't getting the best out of the players who quite obviously weren't on board with it ( Craig Gordon's comments about his team mates confirm it for me, never mind the repeated personal mea culpas from the players every week). But now we're supposed to get on the happy train because Souttar & Haring are back & it's all rosy in the garden.  Neilson better pray those two guys stay injury free because without them he is ****ed. 

As for our Dear Leader : the sooner she is removed the better, she hasn't got a clue and now we're saddled with this clown shoes of a manger for another two years. She doesn't care about football, she never did and she abandoned football to Leveins incapable hands and watched him fail : make no mistake she knew he was failing.  But now we're stuck with her because she'll never relinquish control  until she gets her £3 million back. That's the priority.  As a football club we are an absolute joke. 

Spot on, unfortunately. 

Niemi’s gloves
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Personally I had no memory of that Killie-Inverness Thistle result (I see on looking it up that in the same round we beat Inverness Caley 6-0 and in an earlier round Stirling Albion best Selkirk 20-0.) I think it goes to back up a point I made dozens of pages ago that every club has embarrassing results, which are largely forgotten by the world at large pretty quickly. I’d be surprised if Brora gets dragged up every 5 years in the Hibsman complete with player memories etc, in the way that the 7-0 does.  I like to think that the inevitable coverage in two years time of the 50th anniversary will be the last but no great expectation that it will be. 

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

Absolutely. 

23 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

There's no disputing that the Hibs team of 1973 was better than the Brora team of 2021. 

But I know which result I'd rather not have in the history books (the one from 48 years ago, to be clear). Cup shocks happen - people forget about them after a time. Record defeats to your city rivals are brought up for eternity. "Worse", imho.

I think you will find we put (0-7)result to rest after the cup final, there is no way they can bring that league result up without running into a cup final humiliation. Brora on the other hand,we have no answer for. So for me the Brora debacle was by far the worse of all.

28 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Did 5-1 not put their 7-0 into perspective though?

Niemi’s gloves
24 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

I’m pretty sure that Ann indicated her dissatisfaction with the Brora and QoS results. But that doesn’t change the fact that the manager met the target she set of achieving promotion at the first attempt. And I’d guess she’d be happy to weigh the   two 4-0 wins away to Raith against the 3-2 defeat which you consider a cuffing!

Niemi’s gloves
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It certainly helped. And I guess that the 5-1 was all the sweeter for those  of us who’d experienced the 7-0 first hand. 

Hashimoto
43 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

13 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I’m pretty sure that Ann indicated her dissatisfaction with the Brora and QoS results. But that doesn’t change the fact that the manager met the target she set of achieving promotion at the first attempt. And I’d guess she’d be happy to weigh the   two 4-0 wins away to Raith against the 3-2 defeat which you consider a cuffing!

Yes, it's true that Neilson met his target.....What is worrying is the rumoured set of targets for next season, along with that statement from Budge where she mentioned consolidation.

Does Budge really expect the fans to be on board if accepting mediocracy, lack of big team ambition is part of her big plan?   

Edited by Hashimoto

section s heart
27 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I would agree. After the Brora game I wasn't even that fussed such is the complete lack of passion I have at the moment under the clubs current stewardship and I really wasn't that shocked by it. 

Every single defeat by Hibs in my lifetime has hurt me more than the  Brora result probably because I couldn't have cared less at that point.

Agree that any defeat to Hibs feels worse than Brora did, principally for the reasons you give Ron. Also have to agree with other posters who stood and watched in 73 (when we missed a good chance in the first minute!) that we were up against a level of Hibs team we thankfully haven't seen since. More of a shock (bad result) losing to HL Brora than losing to them. 

Niemi’s gloves
13 minutes ago, micole said:

I think you will find we put (0-7)result to rest after the cup final, there is no way they can bring that league result up without running into a cup final humiliation. Brora on the other hand,we have no answer for. So for me the Brora debacle was by far the worse of all.

Ok I see what you’re saying but bear in mind that we had to wait almost 40 years between the 0-7 and the 5-1 for the ultimate pay back, which for me was most of my working lifetime. For my money Brora will be largely forgotten in a few years time. 

50 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

100% spot on.

5 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Ok I see what you’re saying but bear in mind that we had to wait almost 40 years between the 0-7 and the 5-1 for the ultimate pay back, which for me was most of my working lifetime. For my money Brora will be largely forgotten in a few years time. 

Fair enough, 0-7 hurt for a long time no doubt about that, however, the drubbing by Dundee at Tynecastle 1-7, which contributed to us losing the league on the last day ( Kilmarnock) lived longer with me than the Hibs game. We could debate all day on this, suffice to say the Brora result will live in my memory for a very long time.

Hackney Hearts
36 minutes ago, micole said:

2012 did put the 0-7 to rest - but that took 40 years!

The Brora result will hardly be mentioned in 4 years time, never mind 40.

Would help if we won the cup again soon though. 👍

30 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

It certainly helped. And I guess that the 5-1 was all the sweeter for those  of us who’d experienced the 7-0 first hand. 

For sure.  👍

I was at the 0-7 with my dad, but was just a wee bit too young then to realise the enormity of what had happened.

Hackney Hearts
38 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Completely, yes - but as I said above, that took us 40 years to put right.

Brora game will quickly fade. 

'73 was worse, IMHO.

3 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

'73 was worse, IMHO.

Fair enough.  👍

Let’s agree to disagree on this one, but I’m sure we will both agree on :fth: 

Niemi’s gloves
3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Fair enough.  👍

Let’s agree to disagree on this one, but I’m sure we will both agree on :fth: 

Absolutely! And to slightly amend an earlier post, while the 5-1 cup final was the ultimate revenge, the slow torture (for them) of 22 in a row was pretty good too. 

Argue all you want over whether the 7-0 loss to Hibs was the worst result, but at least they were a full time professional side. To lose to a part time team who hadn't played in weeks and were working jobs during the day is incredibly embarrassing and highlights a major issue with the manager.

There's a problem with motivations and tactics which also resulted in Hearts also losing to part time Alloa in the League Cup. The 'what really is the worst result?' nonsense is just deflecting from what happened in Brora and that the manager got off scot free.

Budge is weak when it comes to firing people she clearly cares about and that was highlighted as much in the documentary. Hearts are soft under her because of that.

Edited by kila

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

It certainly helped. And I guess that the 5-1 was all the sweeter for those  of us who’d experienced the 7-0 first hand. 

Indeed it was. Put it to bed for me. 

5 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Looking forward to the investment in youth and how this plays out in reality

No chance our youths are average 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Morgan said:

The Brora defeat was (imo) much worse than the 0-7 Vermin game.

Much as it pains me ta say, that Hibs team of 1973 were actually pretty good.  Evidencing that as a comparison to a Highland League team who hadn’t kicked a ball for weeks is, quite simply ludicrous.

For added emphasis and point-scoring ( :lol: ) on my part, Brora knocked us out of the cup whereas Hibs only took 2 league points for their efforts.

Anyway, :fth: 

👍

jambogemz
2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Have to say I couldn't have cared less after the Brora game. Apathy has well and truly set in for me.

I'm more worried about getting my own passion for Hearts back than I am about Hearts themselves!!

2 hours ago, kila said:

Argue all you want over whether the 7-0 loss to Hibs was the worst result, but at least they were a full time professional side. To lose to a part time team who hadn't played in weeks and were working jobs during the day is incredibly embarrassing and highlights a major issue with the manager.

There's a problem with motivations and tactics which also resulted in Hearts also losing to part time Alloa in the League Cup. The 'what really is the worst result?' nonsense is just deflecting from what happened in Brora and that the manager got off scot free.

Budge is weak when it comes to firing people she clearly cares about and that was highlighted as much in the documentary. Hearts are soft under her because of that.

:spoton:

The best argument those who seek defend Neilson can come up with is he was only responsible for the 2nd worst defeat in the club's history.

Talk about damming with faint praise.

When the time comes to write the obituary of Bob's Hearts managerial career, the word Brora will be in the first sentence.

NANOJAMBO
2 hours ago, Hackney Hearts said:

'73 was worse, IMHO.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. But that says everything about the state of the club right now and a lot of our fans  : that getting beat by a village team who'd played 3 games all season and hadn't trained for (10?) weeks isn't a big deal.  

Basically so long as the club scrapes along for the next few  years long enough to pay back our Dear Leader her £3 million , that's all that matters. 

Malinga the Swinga
5 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

When the time comes to write the obituary of Bob's Hearts managerial career, the word Brora will be in the first sentence.

Unless he wins us a cup of course. Would love to say win us league but that seems unlikely. A cup win though can definitely be achieved. 

Hashimoto
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Unless he wins us a cup of course. Would love to say win us league but that seems unlikely. A cup win though can definitely be achieved. 

Wins us a cup.....Oh ma sides.....🤣......Bob the bore disnae dae cups.....

Hearts won't win a major honour with Neilson as head coach.

The Cup final last Christmas was his only chance which, sadly, slipped through our fingers but starting a Cup competition from the beginning under Neilson?

No chance.

We'll be lucky to reach a QF but certainly no further.

Please feel free to dredge up this post if we do lift a trophy with Neilson.

I'd be delighted to be wrong.

tynewater

In fairness, Hearts have failed to win a major trophy with most of our managers being in charge. Major trophy wins have been pretty infrequent in our history.

Guest ToqueJambo
12 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

People challenge posters repeated attempt to sweep the most embarrassing result in the clubs history under the carpet as if it didn’t matter. 

I for one am shocked. 

Maybe some Hearts fans just want to forget it and move on! Christ I've never seen so much eagerness to bring up a terrible result. Some thing that result was sackable others don't. Big deal.

Who needs rival fans when our own constantly slag us off? In 5 years time will you be reminiscing about the worst pandemic in modern history - reliving it all over and over again? 

Weakened Offender
8 minutes ago, martoon said:

Hearts won't win a major honour with Neilson as head coach.

The Cup final last Christmas was his only chance which, sadly, slipped through our fingers but starting a Cup competition from the beginning under Neilson?

No chance.

We'll be lucky to reach a QF but certainly no further.

Please feel free to dredge up this post if we do lift a trophy with Neilson.

I'd be delighted to be wrong.

I doubt you would. 

Guest ToqueJambo
22 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

No you can repeat it as much as you want but you’re wrong 👍🏻

I know which feels worse. And when we do rarely get gubbed by Hibs do we go on and on about it? **** no? So why are we constantly bringing up Brora? If Neilson was going to be sacked for Brora it would have happened by now. It hasn't. So what's the point?

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, tynewater said:

In fairness, Hearts have failed to win a major trophy with most of our managers being in charge. Major trophy wins have been pretty infrequent in our history.

3 SC cup wins in 25 years. Three other very close run cup finals, two of which we could easily have won with a tiny bit more luck.

Compare and contrast with our "rivals" - Aberdeen, 1 LC in 25 years and several bad cup final capitulations. Hibs, 1 LC and 1 SC and some highly embarrassing cup final rodgerings.

From reading comments on here you'd think we're light years behind these teams. Even in our darkest last couple of seasons we came closer than both those teams to silverware.

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I know which feels worse. And when we do rarely get gubbed by Hibs do we go on and on about it? **** no? So why are we constantly bringing up Brora? If Neilson was going to be sacked for Brora it would have happened by now. It hasn't. So what's the point?

No one would mention it if the club did the right thing

It will be brought up for the remainder of his time at hearts,  every single bad result will be pounced on and all of the negatives back on the table. 

there is no way back for Neilson - it’s gone too far.

3 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

I doubt you would. 

Of course I'd be pleased.

I would have been delighted if we'd won the Cup in December. What a boost it would have been for Hearts and also Robbie Neilson. 

The knock on effect and feelgood factor would have been tremendous.

The suggestion that any Hearts supporter doesn't want Hearts to be successful is about the daftest thing I've read on here.

Quite an achievement. 👏 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, Morgan said:

The Brora defeat was (imo) much worse than the 0-7 Vermin game.

Much as it pains me ta say, that Hibs team of 1973 were actually pretty good.  Evidencing that as a comparison to a Highland League team who hadn’t kicked a ball for weeks is, quite simply ludicrous.

For added emphasis and point-scoring ( :lol: ) on my part, Brora knocked us out of the cup whereas Hibs only took 2 league points for their efforts.

Anyway, :fth: 

I wasn't around for 0-7 but I was for 6-2. The issue I have with comparing Brora to a derby hammering is yes, on paper, man for man Brora is the worst result. But derbies are judged differently. The fallout from a bad defeat lasts a lifetime. Doesn't matter if one of the derby teams is better at that time.

If positions were switched and we'd been beaten in a cup semi final by a Championship Hibs team in disarray that had just started their season, we'd be talking about that as one of our worst ever defeats. Amazing Ross has had such an easy ride tbh, but probably just shows how used to bad derby defeats Hibs fans are. Even more amazing is Hearts fans on here talking up Ross as a good manager after a result like that.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It will be brought up for the remainder of his time at hearts,  every single bad result will be pounced on and all of the negatives back on the table. 

It doesn't have to be and it's not really especially helpful, is the point. Get behind your team FFS. Folk are acting like toddlers being denied an extra chocolate digestive.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
On 06/05/2021 at 11:10, Debut 4 said:

I think a man who’d improved us notably, took us to 2, 4th place finishes, 2, 3rd place finishes (one being a proper league challenge) and won a trophy, will still come unstuck sometimes. That’s the unpredictability of football.

Not a great fixture to have that result in but it happened.  

But it’s a pathetic attempt to besmirch a man who provided a team in the 90s Neilson could only dream of developing in the same vein.  

His derby record was decent. Over 2 spells; 11-4 in wins.  Left undefeated against them in 5 derbies before his sacking. 

Not besmirching anyone. JJ is my favourite ever Hearts manager. Point is every manager can have horrific results.

Jambof3tornado
47 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Not a chance of a cup win under jobbie neilson.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Hearts go on 20 game unbeaten run, lose to The Rangers and bring up Brora Rangers?

****ed up thinking that would be if we are suggesting every time we lose we remember Brora.

1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Not a chance of a cup win under jobbie neilson.

Good grief.  :vrface:

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It doesn't have to be and it's not really especially helpful, is the point. Get behind your team FFS. Folk are acting like toddlers being denied an extra chocolate digestive.

I only respond to the Brora thing when it is suggested it should be swept under the carpet.  

When I attend games Neilson will have my support like every other hearts manager. But I’ve been going long enough to see how this plays out. Once you reach a point where the majority of the fans want you gone, and the rest simply tolerate you - then it’s finished. 

there are no hearts fans out there I don’t believe who’d be genuinely upset to see the guy go. 

Malinga the Swinga
19 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

What you mean is it will be brought up by people such as yourself who refuse to move on. 

Shit results happen and the important thing is how you react and learn lessons. 

Spend all your time looking back and you'll never improve.