Official Neilson Out Thread ( merged )

best in the land

17 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

I understand your point that the final league placings are based on all of the games, but there are pivotal games that every team has in a season, and I think that if we are going to get 3rd, this could be a pivotal game for us.

If we don’t win, then Utd go clear in 3rd, we go 3 pts behind them and the vermin and sheep could both go 3 pts behind us if they win their games.  

if we win we are 3 clear from 3rd and potentially be between 6 and 9 points from 4th 

Every win is important but this particular 3 points could really set down a marker for us. That was what I meant. 

Yeah, I agree with you mate... we've drawn 3 on the bounce and now just lost - I feel like we NEED a win now to break this 'steak'. I still feel we're the best of the rest, but we defo need a boost. I would like to see RN add an attacker at Tynie, in the current system we're only playing with 3 attackers... adding a 4th would potentially change our system, but I really feel we should be pushing for goals at Tynie.

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

13 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Yeah, I agree with you mate... we've drawn 3 on the bounce and now just lost - I feel like we NEED a win now to break this 'steak'. I still feel we're the best of the rest, but we defo need a boost. I would like to see RN add an attacker at Tynie, in the current system we're only playing with 3 attackers... adding a 4th would potentially change our system, but I really feel we should be pushing for goals at Tynie.

That’s the other reason that it’s so important. As you rightly said, it also breaks the wee rut that we are in, and should help get the confidence back. It will put some daylight in between us, and the rest of the teams 👍

On 31/10/2021 at 08:55, blairdin said:

DrA quick look at my post history and you'll see I'm not a Robbie fan - he should've been replaced after last season.

I remain unconvinced by him, I don't think he will be good enough, BUT he deserves the chance to build on what has been a very very decent start to this season by him and the team.

My biggest problem is, to date, we only really set up to play one way, with this 3-4-3 (which can in effect become a 5-4-1). Despite the number of attacking players, it's a defensive set up that can leave the lone striker isolated or having to drop deep closer to the midfield if the opposition are clever.

Although our wide play and players are very good, too often there's no striker in the box in space for them to hit. We don't create enough good chances for all our possession. We've relied on too many worldlie strikes from the likes of Smith, Soutar, Kinsgley ect to win games.

Boycie is very, very good at playing the striker role in this set up. Gnando is not - it just isn't his game, this striker role doesn't play to his strengths. He isn't anything like as good a player as Boycie, but we can't clone Boycie or expect to keep another player with his ability happy in reserve to call on once in a while.

We're at risk of becoming a one trick pony. Robbie has to accept that sometimes, we need to set up differently according to the players we have available and also to make ourselves harder for opponents to predict and set up against. I can forgive losing the occasional game away to Aberdeen - nothing new there - but we have to turn some of those draws into wins to have a very good season. If we slip down the league despite losing very few matches, pressure will come.

I think your post reflects how a lot of people view our current situation. In Robbie's first season in charge, we played a high tempo pressing game, which blew a lot of our opponents away, which is the exact opposite of how we play now. So he has the option to change how we play......