Ex member of the SaS

Ex member of the SaS

Hi, Looking through old records and found my mother's family allowance from 1947. It states she lived at 41 Belmont road Juniper green. Looked on google maps and there is no 41 in fact 45 is also missing!

Any help appreciated.

On 23/01/2021 at 12:21, Ex member of the SaS said:

Hi, Looking through old records and found my mother's family allowance from 1947. It states she lived at 41 Belmont road Juniper green. Looked on google maps and there is no 41 in fact 45 is also missing!

Any help appreciated.

I can only think it’s to do with new houses being built in a street now called Juniper Grove. Likely this street didn’t exist before recent times and the old house at the end is now classed at Juniper Grove when it was formerly Belmont Road.

Just a pure guess mind!! 

I'm sure my pal lives in a neighbouring house. There's a wee lane beside the garage with more homes behind it that are still classed as Belmont Road. 

Governor Tarkin

My mate lives in a wee house next to Juniper Lane.

Sometimes take my boy up the the swingey at Bloomiehall.

Nice part of town but it feels 10 degrees colder than the rest of Edinburgh for around 350 days of the year.

@Ex member of the SaS  The post office don't have a postcode for 41 Belmont Road, nor for 47 which is missing from the road too.  It could be that those houses were at the back and at some time have been given a new address; maybe Juniper Lane.

Ex member of the SaS

Thanks guys, I think the houses up a lane now removed seems to make sense, however the number 47 is in a terrace. 43 and 45 the two doors are right next to each other, so it's possible a house has been demolished and they used the old bricks to remake 49 into a single house. What ever has happened it's really strange.

This doesn't exactly help, but on Belmont Road there is a wee bit that goes down the back:

belmontroad.png

So numbers 42-44-46-48-50-52 are down there.  Doesn't help you for the odd numbered, but it could be that Juniper Lane used to be something similar.

Edited by tian447
Added a better photo that you can zoom in on

35 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Thanks guys, I think the houses up a lane now removed seems to make sense, however the number 47 is in a terrace. 43 and 45 the two doors are right next to each other, so it's possible a house has been demolished and they used the old bricks to remake 49 into a single house. What ever has happened it's really strange.

I reckon the house was demolished and that's where the garage now is.