When to buy a nearly new car?

highlandjambo3

highlandjambo3

Hi,

Any second car sales persons out there or, know anyone that is.

I haven’t bought a car since 2005 but, I’m now in a position to buy a nearly new car from a dealer with cash up front.  Due to our current climate I’m not sure when to strike?  

Pre lockdown:

Do I go for a deal now and pay a deposit/pay a decent/full (agreed) amount then collect the car later when lockdown travel restrictions are eased (it’s likely I’ll need to travel to England-shire to get the car I want).  I’m guessing the second hand car industry sales are very slow as people cannot travel around and, I could get a decent reduction on the ticket price with a wee cash boost to a car dealer might be very welcome or, should I wait?

Post lockdown:

Will prices go up as dealers forecast a surge in public interest or, will prices go down as dealers try to encourage buyers to choose their forecourt? 

Any advice appreciated.

I bought a "nearly new car" last year in September. Got it from a main dealer and paid cash for it and didn't get any extra discount or anything because of the pandemic. Probably because I'm shite at haggling though. ☹️

More chance of a decent discount if taking credit.

highlandjambo3
32 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Harder and harder to haggle, in my experience. Need to work on the extras instead. Could just be my skills, though :( 

I have £17k cash I can pay instantly to them 👍

Ex member of the SaS

Not in the know but I believe paying cash to a dealer is not a good idea. A quick search on you tube will give you better advice than I can so it's worth a look. Maybe try typing "  is it good to pay cash for a second hand car "

A quick look got this 

Edited by Ex member of the SaS

highlandjambo3

Ok cheers...

to clarify, I wouldn’t be walking into a dealer with a brown envelope stacked with £50 notes (as is the Hampden way 😀). The transaction would be electronic, account to account but, the same principles may apply I suppose.  I’ll look through some more clips if I can, that one was American so might be a different spin on our dealers.

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Ok cheers...

to clarify, I wouldn’t be walking into a dealer with a brown envelope stacked with £50 notes (as is the Hampden way 😀). The transaction would be electronic, account to account but, the same principles may apply I suppose.  I’ll look through some more clips if I can, that one was American so might be a different spin on our dealers.

Yes it was from the USA but it's given you the idea, that's the main thing. Yes deals would be electronic but the principals are the same. Good luck and I hope you get a good car and a good deal.

highlandjambo3
6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I handed over a fair chunk of cash (not as much as you, flash!) but they'd much rather you signed up to finance. It's worth more to them in both commission and long term.

Yes agreed but, part of my post mentioned the current climate.....let’s say all general sales are down and they are getting very few “financial sign ups” does that mean a cash buyer will have a bit more clout?

Im going to e mail a few dealers who have they car/spec I want and see how I go.

33 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Yes agreed but, part of my post mentioned the current climate.....let’s say all general sales are down and they are getting very few “financial sign ups” does that mean a cash buyer will have a bit more clout?

Im going to e mail a few dealers who have they car/spec I want and see how I go.

Financing it will almost definitely get you a better deal. You might be able to take a finance deal and clear the balance before the payments start at zero or next to no extra cost. 

1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Not in the know but I believe paying cash to a dealer is not a good idea. A quick search on you tube will give you better advice than I can so it's worth a look. Maybe try typing "  is it good to pay cash for a second hand car "

A quick look got this 

Wish I had seen this a few months ago. ☹️

highlandjambo3
30 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Financing it will almost definitely get you a better deal. You might be able to take a finance deal and clear the balance before the payments start at zero or next to no extra cost. 

Good idea but, the mrs is likely to buy a new kitchen before I clear the balance 😒

Ex member of the SaS

Another point worth investigating, rather than cash off the price, go for add on, something like mats, or service contract or some other upgrade you may want like a tow bar . Things that the service department can do at a lower cost than you can get outside. The dealer and the service dept have different budgets but the salesman can get work done cheaper than you.

Even when I was earning some seriously good money as a printer I never would’ve spent £17/18 grand on a car 😱. Fair enough if it’s business use but for general day to day use it’s just a money losing lump of metal . 

5 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Keep your £17k and get a brand new motor on a lease. 👍

highlandjambo3
27 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Even when I was earning some seriously good money as a printer I never would’ve spent £17/18 grand on a car 😱. Fair enough if it’s business use but for general day to day use it’s just a money losing lump of metal . 

It is business use.

Stewie Griffin
6 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I bought a nearly new Golf in August last year had 14k in cash ( used debit card ) plus my existing car to trade in, couldn’t get them to knock much off the Golf but managed to get a couple of hundred more from them than they originally offered for the Polo I was trading in. Went to a dealership in Newcastle for it 

59 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

It is business use.

👍🏻

Hope you didn’t think I was having a pop btw , I’ve just reread my post and it’s not great , sorry

highlandjambo3
5 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

👍🏻

Hope you didn’t think I was having a pop btw , I’ve just reread my post and it’s not great , sorry

No....all good.  Like I say it’s business use so, most of what I spend on the car purchase and running costs I can offset on tax 👍

I change my car roughly every 3 years and if it’s one thing I don’t look forward to it’s dealing with the sales person 

Hate listening to the crap that comes out their mouth although I know that’s their job 

been here before

Any time Ive bought a car from a dealer my opening gambit upon seeing a car I fancy and before tey start the sales pish is "before we go any further how much can you take off the price". If yhe answer is nothing or no extras (servicing or the like) then I look elsewhere.

Its never failed, 500 off my last car plus 3 years servicing, but for this to work you have to be prepared to walk away from the car.

Edited by been here before

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, been here before said:

Any time Ive bought a car from a dealer my opening gambit upon seeing a car I fancy and before tey start the sales pish is "before we go any further how much can you take off the price". If yhe answer is nothing or no extras (servicing or the like) then I look elsewhere.

Its never failed, 500 off my last car plus 3 years servicing, but for this to work you have to be prepared to walk away from the car.

Or look like Phill Mitchell 😁

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, theshed said:

I change my car roughly every 3 years and if it’s one thing I don’t look forward to it’s dealing with the sales person 

Hate listening to the crap that comes out their mouth although I know that’s their job 

You just have to be firm with them. Just say you're in no rush to buy but thought you would check out if there is a good deal on offer.

At the moment they'll say they can't go any lower than the advertised price as they have already taken something off.

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

If it goes up in value buy, if it goes down lease. 

I gave up leasing cars. Doing only 5k a year i was just passing on a better car to the next guy as it was only just properly run in.

Bought motor 3 years ago and I'll probably have it for another ten years. It's better than constantly paying a monthly amount for a lease.

3 hours ago, Candy said:

If youve got the cash available, it doesnt make much sense to take finance and pay extra

Except you can usually get a discount in the price then pay it off before the first payment is due so no interest. 

6 hours ago, IronJambo said:

I gave up leasing cars. Doing only 5k a year i was just passing on a better car to the next guy as it was only just properly run in.

Bought motor 3 years ago and I'll probably have it for another ten years. It's better than constantly paying a monthly amount for a lease.

I'm the reverse. I'll probably never buy another second hand car again or brand new. Yes it might be owned, but so is the maintenance and depreciation. 

7 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Except you can usually get a discount in the price then pay it off before the first payment is due so no interest. 

Hence why i said it doesnt make sense to pay extra.

On 23/01/2021 at 09:33, highlandjambo3 said:

Hi,

Any second car sales persons out there or, know anyone that is.

I haven’t bought a car since 2005 but, I’m now in a position to buy a nearly new car from a dealer with cash up front.  Due to our current climate I’m not sure when to strike?  

Pre lockdown:

Do I go for a deal now and pay a deposit/pay a decent/full (agreed) amount then collect the car later when lockdown travel restrictions are eased (it’s likely I’ll need to travel to England-shire to get the car I want).  I’m guessing the second hand car industry sales are very slow as people cannot travel around and, I could get a decent reduction on the ticket price with a wee cash boost to a car dealer might be very welcome or, should I wait?

Post lockdown:

Will prices go up as dealers forecast a surge in public interest or, will prices go down as dealers try to encourage buyers to choose their forecourt? 

Any advice appreciated.

2nd hand market has already seen prices go up. 

Companies have lost a lot of money - if dealing with the larger companies then (I expect this is the same in most places) they were given explicit instructions each car had to make a specific amount of money.

Prices haven’t necessarily gone up though, salesmen have a clear higher margin to achieve.

Someone else has said - they make more money on finance deals. It could be better to get a discount there whilst you hold your money in a savings account.

Always question why a nearly new car from a manufacturer is on the forecourt of another. Usually it’s an ex hire car (eg. You see an Audi on a Ford forecourt). 

Best purchases/value are pre-reg cars. 

highlandjambo3
9 hours ago, davemclaren said:

There will likely be an “early settlement” fee to balance their loss.

15 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

There will likely be an “early settlement” fee to balance their loss.

Not in my experience. 

highlandjambo3
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Not in my experience. 

It will be written into the small print somewhere.....page 327 I think.

Best time is when it has about 15-18000 on the clock, any potential faults sorted ,

maybe , 2 year old, 1 year warranty left, im still thinking about a change but in

no hurry, finance a good option, but check the interest rate.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Not in my experience. 

I’d agree with this. If you insist on buying I’d take the finance to get the best deal possible and pay it off straight away. I’d lease though. 

On 23/01/2021 at 18:40, highlandjambo3 said:

Nah.....want to own it.

Why not do a bit of both?

You could get yourself a brand new car, on a 40 odd month finance deal, and set the lump sum of money aside.  A new car is less likely to cause you any unexpected financial outgoings for repairs and would be covered by the warranty.  At the end of the term, you can make a final payment to "own" the car, meaning you have a nearly new car with a full service history, that might even still be under the original warranty, that only you have owned.  No hidden surprises, or unknowns about the car.

I'd go nowhere near a used car, even a "nearly new" one.

On 23/01/2021 at 12:55, highlandjambo3 said:

Ok cheers...

I bought a nearly new car with cash and the sales guy was disappointed. The make their money on selling a car on credit. 

18 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'm the reverse. I'll probably never buy another second hand car again or brand new. Yes it might be owned, but so is the maintenance and depreciation. 

I might flip it around in ten years time or so. Electric cars will be up to speed on range and we'll have a better infrastructure to serve them (I'm assuming an electric car requires no running in) . We might be using hydrogen fuel cells instead. 2030'ish in any case sounds like a sensible time to review it but until then I'll be sticking with what I have. 

6 hours ago, IronJambo said:

I might flip it around in ten years time or so. Electric cars will be up to speed on range and we'll have a better infrastructure to serve them (I'm assuming an electric car requires no running in) . We might be using hydrogen fuel cells instead. 2030'ish in any case sounds like a sensible time to review it but until then I'll be sticking with what I have. 

Cars should be self charging by then, hopefully. Or am I being thick. :D Surely over long distances, cars should be able to generate enough charge on their own. (Given the technology) 

30 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Cars should be self charging by then, hopefully. Or am I being thick. :D Surely over long distances, cars should be able to generate enough charge on their own. (Given the technology) 

You can't produce more energy than you started with, always less. A road network that charges your car as you drive would be a complete game changer but that's further than ten years away. We be lucky to have that in the next 30 years. I'm basing that on the fact they've been tearing the M6 up to turn it into a (not so)smart motorway for over 14 years. 

12 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

You can't produce more energy than you started with, always less. A road network that charges your car as you drive would be a complete game changer but that's further than ten years away. We be lucky to have that in the next 30 years. I'm basing that on the fact they've been tearing the M6 up to turn it into a (not so)smart motorway for over 14 years. 

Could the wheels or axle not be designed to charge the car as you drive? 

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Could the wheels or axle not be designed to charge the car as you drive? 

I don't see why not as they already get energy back from braking. You still can't get more energy back than what you use. If you use 25kw then you're not going to get as much as that back so the battery will still deplete, albeit more slowly than if it wasn't using a technology that returned energy.

1 minute ago, IronJambo said:

I don't see why not as they already get energy back from braking. You still can't get more energy back than what you use. If you use 25kw then you're not going to get as much as that back so the battery will still deplete, albeit more slowly than if it wasn't using a technology that returned energy.

Secondary battery? :DSorry to be a pain, just interested in all this, tho I should start reading up on it. 

28 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Secondary battery? :DSorry to be a pain, just interested in all this, tho I should start reading up on it. 

I'm no expert 😂, I just understand the above physics.

I think a secondary battery is out due to space and weight. I'm understanding it that we're currently restricted by range and charging times. 200-300 miles range is reasonable I think but it needs charging infrastructure alongside it. A ten minute charge sounds like a good answer https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/amp/55717296

Edit: just got to work so having a kip til 9 😁

Edited by IronJambo

13 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I'm no expert 😂, I just understand the above physics.

I think a secondary battery is out due to space and weight. I'm understanding it that we're currently restricted by range and charging times. 200-300 miles range is reasonable I think but it needs charging infrastructure alongside it. A ten minute charge sounds like a good answer https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/amp/55717296

Edit: just got to work so having a kip til 9 😁

👍