It's a sin

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

Just watched this, a "setting the scene" episode, thankfully times have changed and attitudes generally are more accepting, still a way to go but.

The 80's was a strange time for people...the gay plague etc, Nonsense but as I said to my missus, it was 40 years ago, we knew f'ck all...

Decent soundtrack too...

25 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Just watched this, a "setting the scene" episode, thankfully times have changed and attitudes generally are more accepting, still a way to go but.

The 80's was a strange time for people...the gay plague etc, Nonsense but as I said to my missus, it was 40 years ago, we knew f'ck all...

Decent soundtrack too...

A few people I knew sadly died as part of it all. In an odd way I think the arrival and cost of AIDS mobilised the gay community like nothing before and made it more political leading to greater freedoms. I now have people I know including a close friend that have been HIV+ for years now and quite happily lead normal lives with the assistance of developments in drugs. 

As a gay guy it really resonated with me , Actually brought back loads of memories too . it’s not far off my era when I was a party animal ( with all that entails sex, drugs , booze et al ) . It’s incredibly realistic I feel .The 1980s were a great time to be young and clubbing but the shadow of AIDS was never far away . I knew a few people who died of it but mainly knew more IV  drug users who died . It was a death sentence then . I recall a friend telling me he was HIV . This was 1996 He was 26 then and didn’t think he would see 30 . He’s 50 now . 👍

Superb performances too from a great young cast and nice surprise seeing Keeley Hawes in it too ( loved her in “ Line if duty “ ) . Trying very hard to not watch the rest of the series in catch up as it’s so good . 

7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

As a gay guy it really resonated with me , Actually brought back loads of memories too . it’s not far off my era when I was a party animal ( with all that entails sex, drugs , booze et al ) . It’s incredibly realistic I feel .The 1980s were a great time to be young and clubbing but the shadow of AIDS was never far away . I knew a few people who died of it but mainly knew more IV  drug users who died . It was a death sentence then . I recall a friend telling me he was HIV . This was 1996 He was 26 then and didn’t think he would see 30 . He’s 50 now . 👍

Superb performances too from a great young cast and nice surprise seeing Keeley Hawes in it too ( loved her in “ Line if duty “ ) . Trying very hard to not watch the rest of the series in catch up as it’s so good . 

Working in theatre and having lots of London friends and work at the time the IV drug use thing wasn’t really in my life but obviously a big number of gay friends and workmates is where I came into contact with the culture. One guy I knew that died was a very tragic case. He was from a very straight laced upbringing and wrestled with his sexuality all his life and in his early 30’s made peace with himself and came out to his friends and had his first physical relationships. It completely changed him and he became a different, and happier person. He then had the terrible situation where he had to come out to his parents so he could explain why he was dying. Absolutely heartbreaking in so many ways. 

11 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Working in theatre and having lots of London friends and work at the time the IV drug use thing wasn’t really in my life but obviously a big number of gay friends and workmates is where I came into contact with the culture. One guy I knew that died was a very tragic case. He was from a very straight laced upbringing and wrestled with his sexuality all his life and in his early 30’s made peace with himself and came out to his friends and had his first physical relationships. It completely changed him and he became a different, and happier person. He then had the terrible situation where he had to come out to his parents so he could explain why he was dying. Absolutely heartbreaking in so many ways. 

Awe that’s a sad tale . But not unfamiliar in relation to people coming out and family reactions to it too . . Some still struggle in this day and age to come out .

15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Awe that’s a sad tale . But not unfamiliar in relation to people coming out and family reactions to it too . . Some still struggle in this day and age to come out .

There's a very short bit of an episode of Ashes To Ashes which touches on this - Keeley Hawes and Russell Tovey play the parts.  She's kind of a time traveller from more than 25 years later, so she knows something about HIV that he isn't yet aware of.  Combined with Tovey's personal story about coming out to his parents made it a moving bit of telly, all the more so because it's played in an understated way.  There's one of those "happy ending" scenes first, then it cuts away to a brief bit with some other characters, then comes back for the punch in the gut.  The whole thing is only about 2 minutes long, if you're interested.

Konrad von Carstein

When I was in high school I had no clue about gay/straight it didn't come up, no one I can recall was gay.

Fast forward to my daughter's high school years, her best friend is gay, they are so close that I as a parent trying to be right on, asked, are you and xxxxx an item?

Cue guffaws and jeezo's & what you like from her.

She also spoke openly about the several gay people in her year or at school, this is sounding like its all we talked about, it's not!

However, thinking back to my high school days there must have been people struggling with no support, today things seem easier to an extent, which has to be good?

9 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

However, thinking back to my high school days there must have been people struggling with no support, today things seem easier to an extent, which has to be good?

When I look at my son's mates and other people around here in their teens and 20s it does seem a bit easier, but I'd say a lot depends on your social and family circle, and I'd guess things can still be difficult for some youngsters.

When I was in high school I had no clue about gay/straight it didn't come up, no one I can recall was gay.

Fast forward to my daughter's high school years, her best friend is gay, they are so close that I as a parent trying to be right on, asked, are you and xxxxx an item?

She also spoke openly about the several gay people in her year or at school, this is sounding like its all we talked about, it's not!

It wasn’t a thing. There was one boy in my year who was brave enough to be open and luckily had the wit and sharp tongue to get the right people onside so he wasn’t picked on, or at least not physically. Bearing in mind this was the early 80’s he was a bloody hero. Years after leaving school I was on a mad night out with friends and ended up in CC Blooms and bumped into a guy I was at school with. We got chatting and catching up and he eventually said something like I never realised when we were at school you were gay. When I replied I wasn’t but was with some mates he instantly changed and starting begging me not to tell people I’d seen him there. Sad times when people couldn’t be themselves or have to walk home in fear from Neanderthals who would hang around and go “gay bashing” for kicks. 

40 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Yes adolescence and teenage years was a fairly difficult and isolating experience  for me and  many gays then and in some ways still today. But certainly things have moved on which us great . 

28 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

When I look at my son's mates and other people around here in their teens and 20s it does seem a bit easier, but I'd say a lot depends on your social and family circle, and I'd guess things can still be difficult for some youngsters.

Exactly . I didn’t get bullied or Anything as my brother was a tough nut ( actually so was my sister 😂) I dread to think what it might have been like if I didn’t have them . But Then again I wasn’t a  wimpy push over either so I’m maybe doing myself a disservice . 

23 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It wasn’t a thing. There was one boy in my year who was brave enough to be open and luckily had the wit and sharp tongue to get the right people onside so he wasn’t picked on, or at least not physically. Bearing in mind this was the early 80’s he was a bloody hero. Years after leaving school I was on a mad night out with friends and ended up in CC Blooms and bumped into a guy I was at school with. We got chatting and catching up and he eventually said something like I never realised when we were at school you were gay. When I replied I wasn’t but was with some mates he instantly changed and starting begging me not to tell people I’d seen him there. Sad times when people couldn’t be themselves or have to walk home in fear from Neanderthals who would hang around and go “gay bashing” for kicks. 

Yeah sadly still happens . Many a “ straight guy still in the closet , seriously unhappy . Sad that they can’t live their real lives . 

Edited by JamesM48

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes adolescence and teenage years was a fairly difficult and isolating experience  for me and  many gays then and in some ways still today. But certainly things have moved on which us great . 

Exactly . I didn’t get bullied or Anything as my brother was a tough nut ( actually so was my sister 😂) I dread to think what it might have been like if I didn’t have them . But Then again I wasn’t a  wimpy push over either so I’m maybe doing myself a disservice . 

Yeah sadly still happens . Many a “ straight guy still in the closet , seriously unhappy . Sad that they can’t live their real lives . 

The day the Irish marriage equality referendum votes were counted, I was in a café with my mother, then in her 70s and now sadly no longer with us.  We had both voted in favour, and we were enjoying the newsflashes of the results coming through, when she suddenly said that she couldn't really be all that bothered about marriage, but the real reason she had voted yes was, and I quote, "for all the fellas I knew who couldn't say".  We can't make the past any different, but things are better than they were, and hopefully they'll get easier still. 

2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

The day the Irish marriage equality referendum votes were counted, I was in a café with my mother, then in her 70s and now sadly no longer with us.  We had both voted in favour, and we were enjoying the newsflashes of the results coming through, when she suddenly said that she couldn't really be all that bothered about marriage, but the real reason she had voted yes was, and I quote, "for all the fellas I knew who couldn't say".  We can't make the past any different, but things are better than they were, and hopefully they'll get easier still. 

Lovely story . Lovely mother 👍

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

There's a very short bit of an episode of Ashes To Ashes which touches on this - Keeley Hawes and Russell Tovey play the parts.  She's kind of a time traveller from more than 25 years later, so she knows something about HIV that he isn't yet aware of.  Combined with Tovey's personal story about coming out to his parents made it a moving bit of telly, all the more so because it's played in an understated way.  There's one of those "happy ending" scenes first, then it cuts away to a brief bit with some other characters, then comes back for the punch in the gut.  The whole thing is only about 2 minutes long, if you're interested.

Brilliant 

5 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Apologise if I’ve missed the point completely.

But the thread title had me thinking about the outstanding Pet Shop Boys song.

That was my 1st thought.

I watched the first episode last night and the remaining 4 today. Great series. I lost a close family friend to HIV years ago and I have a couple of friends that are positive and it’s amazing to see how far we have come and that my friends will now live just as long as me and are undetectable. 

Neil Dongcaster

I think Goths have morphed into transgendered people. I hardly ever see a goth these days.

Edited by Neil Dongcaster

15 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I have similar experience. Sexual preferences weren’t something I can really say was on my radar; certainly not at the age my kids are. 

Even simple things like there are additional ‘sex’ gender neutral. I guess brings it to the forefront a bit more, 

Mu daughter is 13 and has a individual in her year or above, who is gender fluid and has been for a number of years.

There are about half dozen people who identify as gender neutral within the school. There also a number who are transgender and pretty young to identify this way, 

One of my daughters best friend is pan sexual and she openly identifies as that. I’ll be honest I had to google pan sexual to make sure it was what I thought it was. 🙈

My son who is 11 and has a good friend who now identifies as gay and has declared his love for another friend in that group circle. 

My surprise is how young kids are aware of their sexuality. Times are certainly very different from when I was that age. 

You say you are “ surprised “ about how young kids are today when they are aware of their sexuality so what age were you aware you were heterosexual ( assuming you are ) it’s a question never asked of Heterosexuals . Not getting at you just making a an observation. 

Watched it all tonight. Really good. 

Spoiler

Found the Welsh boy's story really sad 😭

Can't stand Years and Years so was a bit wary of Olly Alexander playing the lead but 👍

4 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

I don’t genuinely know, it was a long time ago now 😞

I think at that age I was still running about wanting to be the next John Robertson. My boys still in junior school. 

Girls or boys and everything in between never crossed my mind, whether that was because I was a late developer or just wasn’t aware of those things, not sure. 

Though thinking it through  I have never been aware of my sexuality. Undoubtably that’s probably as I’m hetro. Always liked girls in that way and as that is the general social convention, its never really came into consideration.

I understand that will not be the same for everyone.

Yes you wouldn’t have to be aware of your sexuality in a heterosexual norm society as you would be in the massive majority so issues around your sexuality wouldn’t cause issues for you unlike if you were gay and then discrimination , abuse ,  violence , ridicule would certainly make one aware of your sexuality . Again not getting at you but just showing how it is very different growing , in particular in teenage years up gay or straight . I remember I went to a school reunion a few years back and a couple of the straight  guys in my class were talking about “ oh remember us all going to the commie and then brattisanis for chips with everyone “  I brought back painful Memories as I didn’t get the invite to join them then ! I was excluded . Maybe due to my sexuality then maybe not ? Maybe it was a nippy ^^^^ but it was hurtful . Anyway things all level out in life and most gay people become more confident as young adults and hang around with their own “ reference “ groups like you see in “ it’s a sin”.  I am slightly jealous of the younger gay / bi/ whatever team who u describe in your posting who are confident at such a young age . The future is more hopeful 

On 23/01/2021 at 06:57, Tazio said:

A few people I knew sadly died as part of it all. In an odd way I think the arrival and cost of AIDS mobilised the gay community like nothing before and made it more political leading to greater freedoms. I now have people I know including a close friend that have been HIV+ for years now and quite happily lead normal lives with the assistance of developments in drugs. 

HIV sufferers in the UK now have a longer life expectancy than type 2 Diabetics. Really remarkable when you think what life was like for sufferers in the 80s and 90s.

3 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

HIV sufferers in the UK now have a longer life expectancy than type 2 Diabetics. Really remarkable when you think what life was like for sufferers in the 80s and 90s.

I know it is amazing 

18 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Loved Brattisanis as kid.

I have no doubt, the non hetro experience is very different. My surprise is merely at the age kids seems to be categorising their self. 

Experience of school is much different to when we would have seen. Maybe part of that is down to my kids being in a different education system than I would have went through but there is a huge emphasis on inclusiveness and fairness, whilst the LGTBQ group within the school has a fair bit of influence.

These sort of changes take times to filter through society and you will undoubtably notice these changes more than myself. However, schools and kids now are way more tolerant in pretty much every social aspect. 

Got the show recorded so will watch over next couple of days 

Yes school sex education was pretty dire I recall . The teacher seemed embarrassed to teach it . It emphasis was merely on the physical  aspects of sex and nothing about the emotional aspect of sex , relationships and different sexualities . Great to see things have moved on so much . Yes young people are definitely more tolerant now as they are educated more about differences . 

Konrad von Carstein

Just finished the series, very moving, funny and sad in equal measure...Colin's story was the one that we "invested in" not going to spoil it for any one however, it did get dusty in our living room....

14 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Just finished the series, very moving, funny and sad in equal measure...Colin's story was the one that we "invested in" not going to spoil it for any one however, it did get dusty in our living room....

It’s so hard to avoid spoilers for this as everyone seems to be talking about it on my Facebook ! I’ll prob just give in and find a good night to binge on it . 

Konrad von Carstein

It’s so hard to avoid spoilers for this as everyone seems to be talking about it on my Facebook ! I’ll prob just give in and find a good night to binge on it . 

Well worth it James, not to be flippant but the sound track to the series is pretty good too!

7 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Well worth it James, not to be flippant but the sound track to the series is pretty good too!

The music brings back so many good memories for me and many others . Music always does doesn’t it ? It’s not flippant . “ Queer as folk “ had a brilliant soundtrack too 

Konrad von Carstein

The music brings back so many good memories for me and many others . Music always does doesn’t it ? It’s not flippant . “ Queer as folk “ had a brilliant soundtrack too 

Aye it does, my wife is a bit younger than me so some of the songs passed her by, her face when I started "ahem" singing along to some of the songs was a picture.

:tlj:

Aye it does, my wife is a bit younger than me so some of the songs passed her by, her face when I started "ahem" singing along to some of the songs was a picture.

:tlj:

Lol ! Well you’ve sparked a fire in me now . Have hardly listened to music in the house since lockdown due to just feeling fed up really am now blasting this and a few others ! It’s a Monday party time 😂 seriously made me think that I’ve and most of us haven’t had a good night out / boogie in nearly a year ! You really can’t beat https://youtu.be/8FspmdHpo_s

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Went through three episodes last night. It felt a bit polished (not gritty enough) but in saying that, it’s not something I really know about so the portrayal might be spot on. Either way, very much enjoyed it.

I was at secondary school in the 90s and we were horribly mean to anyone who was remotely camp, let alone actually gay. Cringe like feck when I think about it now. I could try and excuse it as kids being kids but like others have said, kids don’t act like that now. We were being *****.

Binge watched this today. Was a teenager in the 80’s so like things set in that period.  Thoroughly enjoyed it. Music was good as well. 

23 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Aids came from bats. 

"And now, here's the guy who brought Aids to the western world by shagging a Green Monkey..................................

hope it was a good looking monkey, ya *******!"

Jerry Sadowitz

It’s so good, I’ve just watched second episode tonight, might binge watch the rest on Sunday. It’s my generation and makes me sad around the intolerance and ignorance in the 80s and 90s. I think we have moved on but still along way off just accepting people regardless of gender or sexuality. The sound track is fab and I just downloaded it on iTunes 

Watched it all and we were in tears at the end. Just wow.

im nearly 50 so remember this period and it was hell for those poor souls. Jesus this series was a stark reminder of how the 80’s were brutal for this. Superbly acted and an utter emotional rollercoaster.  First 2 episodes were a bit meh but the last 3 blew us away. Only then realised obviously that the first 2 were so relevant.  Bravo to the makers and actors 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
12 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Watched it all and we were in tears at the end. Just wow.

im nearly 50 so remember this period and it was hell for those poor souls. Jesus this series was a stark reminder of how the 80’s were brutal for this. Superbly acted and an utter emotional rollercoaster.  First 2 episodes were a bit meh but the last 3 blew us away. Only then realised obviously that the first 2 were so relevant.  Bravo to the makers and actors 

Just watched the last episode now. Jesus Christ. Amazing telly

Fantastic series. Haven't watched anything that left me emotionally drained like that in a long time.

This is a very nerdy niche quibble but I really wish the closing song had been Being Boring.

22 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Went through three episodes last night. It felt a bit polished (not gritty enough) but in saying that, it’s not something I really know about so the portrayal might be spot on. Either way, very much enjoyed it.

I was at secondary school in the 90s and we were horribly mean to anyone who was remotely camp, let alone actually gay. Cringe like feck when I think about it now. I could try and excuse it as kids being kids but like others have said, kids don’t act like that now. We were being *****.

Good to see you recongise that you were a ^^^^.  sadly some people who were bullies like that still continue to be.

1 hour ago, Costanza said:

Fantastic series. Haven't watched anything that left me emotionally drained like that in a long time.

This is a very nerdy niche quibble but I really wish the closing song had been Being Boring.

Its probably their best song.  Well that and " Left to my own devices",  Havent watched all of the series yet so not sure what the closing song was. 

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Its probably their best song.  Well that and " Left to my own devices",  Havent watched all of the series yet so not sure what the closing song was. 

Yup. Add in King's Cross and you have my top 3.

The last episode is something else, incredible TV.

Some of the best TV in years. I binged the whole series in one go, it was phenomenal.  Nostalgia fused with tragedy.  If it doesn’t sweep up all reputable awards, something is wrong.

Trying not to binge watch ahead of my wife who wants to just watch on Friday's.

Brilliant so far.  Trying not to wonder what happens to each character ahead of what actually happens.

Finished watching the whole season.  Outstanding TV.  Very moving and realistic. I recall going for an HIV test then and it took about 3 weeks to get the results, now you can get it within 20 mins.  Amazing.  It was truly shameful how hospitals and the medical staff treated patients in the early days. I was very impressed by Keeley Hawes performance in the final episode., mixture of sadness, angery. shame . et al.  Brilliant.  The music was banging too. 

Just finished this, a good watch and very sad. Sympathy for Ritchie went out the window though in the last episode. 

Edited by Ray Gin

Just finished watching last night.

Brilliant series. Very well written and top cast.

Old enough to remember how naive and ignorant everyone was then

Started of all fun and games, plenty drinking and shagging. Then it got all sad and everyone seemed to die. I enjoyed it though. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
On 07/02/2021 at 18:46, Ray Gin said:

Just finished this, a good watch and very sad. Sympathy for Ritchie went out the window though in the last episode. 

How so?

4 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

How so?

Spoiler tags seem to be broken so highlight over the below text to read it:

He goes home to try and **** his old best mate, while knowing full well that he had AIDS, and later admits in hospital that he had continued ****ing loads of guys despite knowing that he had it. Given that AIDS was a death sentence back then that makes him kinda like a serial killer. And his pal just held his hand like it was no biggie. WTF. 

Felt a bit horny so who cares if he passes on his deadly disease and leading to multiple deaths. Absolute scumbag move.

There is white text above this line.

Edited by Ray Gin

6 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Spoiler tags seem to be broken so highlight over the below text to read it:

He goes home to try and **** his old best mate, while knowing full well that he had AIDS, and later admits in hospital that he had continued ****ing loads of guys despite knowing that he had it. Given that AIDS was a death sentence back then that makes him kinda like a serial killer. And his pal just held his hand like it was no biggie. WTF. 

Felt a bit horny so who cares if he passes on his deadly disease and leading to multiple deaths. Absolute scumbag move.

There is white text above this line.

Yep agreed - and while that bit was also referred to when his friend met with his mother at the end, it did seem to get glossed over a bit.