2021 Six Nations

PortyJambo

Captain Sausage
6 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Great team performance but I prefer Hastings to Russell as he gets over the gain line more and is more dynamic.

Of all the criticisms you can land at the feet of FR, a lack of dynamism is certainly not one. 

Hastings is far more structured and orderly. Finn is all about chaos and quick thinking. 

Both very different 10s but personally I think your take is completely off. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Tazio

• neilnunb

• Cruyff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, John Findlay said:

The biggest brain fart tonight was made by the French fullback, all he had to do was put the ball into touch.

Scotland deserved that because they never gave up, the forwards as a collective were superb. They took the French on up front and matched them and even bettered them at times. 

If there is not at least four Scotsman in the Lions squad then Gatland should get the bullet.

Hamish Watson was man of the tournament for me. He doesnt know how to take a backward step.

France had to go for a fourth try to win the championship 

7 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

This is weird. Why so much excitement about winning a meaningless game?! ****ing rugby man.

Says the guy cheering on France. What's wrong, hate seeing Scotland do well?? 

6 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

And you watch Hearts ?  Many games are meaningless but we watch them. Not sure I get your point .  It was refreshing to see our country play with such guts, skill and pride.  Something that’s always worth watching regardless if there is silverwear or not . I was proud tonight watching that . Something I’ve not been able to say for a long time re’ our football side

We watch them aye. We don't start jumping about the living room when we pick up the 3 points to move from 7th to 8th in the table though.

John Findlay
14 minutes ago, XB52 said:

France had to go for a fourth try to win the championship 

Ssometimes you just have to win the game and take runners up. Last night was one of those occasions for France to do so.

12 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Says the guy cheering on France. What's wrong, hate seeing Scotland do well?? 

I care very little for rugby. I don't mind watching the odd game because I know on occasion it can be entertaining. A bit like cricket. I was cheering on France because I didn't want Wales to win the tournament and I think the French would have been more deserving winners. It's not that I don't like seeing Scotland do well, albeit I do find it amusing when they make a show of themselves and seeing the rugby lot get all worked up about it. I have no affinity with any rugby team.

Admittedly some of my views on rugby are tainted by bitterness towards the 3 times a year visitors to our city, who steam into town with the red carpet rolled out, are allowed to behave in a manner football fans would never be, and then piss off again until next time.

7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Ssometimes you just have to win the game and take runners up. Last night was one of those occasions for France to do so.

That makes no sense in any sporting context. I doubt France went into the game with any thoughts on winning 'The Auld Alliance Trophy'.

Roxy Hearts
2 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Of all the criticisms you can land at the feet of FR, a lack of dynamism is certainly not one. 

Hastings is far more structured and orderly. Finn is all about chaos and quick thinking. 

Both very different 10s but personally I think your take is completely off. 

Depends what you see as dynamic. I think Hastings looks to get more involved and appears more athletic. 

They are different so the dynamics change. Anyway they are both good.

John Findlay
45 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

We watch them aye. We don't start jumping about the living room when we pick up the 3 points to move from 7th to 8th in the table though.

Speak for yourself. Last night was test Rugby. Tell the French and Scots players it was meaningless. 

John Findlay
37 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

That makes no sense in any sporting context. I doubt France went into the game with any thoughts on winning 'The Auld Alliance Trophy'.

The first objective is to win the game. Anything after was a bonus for the French. They failed in their first objective. Makes lots of sense in the sporting context.

7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The first objective is to win the game. Anything after was a bonus for the French. They failed in their first objective. Makes lots of sense in the sporting context.

Come on, really? Winning the game was a means to an end. The objective was to win the tournament.

If it was the case that they only needed one more try to do that (I thought they needed to win by a certain margin to overtake Wales on PD too but I could be wrong) then you are honestly telling me that the right thing to do would be to kick the ball into touch and just take the win in the game?

Scenario: Last game of the season, Hearts are in 2nd place, Champions League spot, and 2-1 up but need to win by 2 goals to win the league. A draw leaves us in 3rd, Europa League qualification. You want us to play to hold onto the 2-1 victory in the 90th minute? No, you want us to go hell for leather for a 3rd goal.

Edited by Sooperstar

8 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Come on, really? Winning the game was a means to an end. The objective was to win the tournament.

If it was the case that they only needed one more try to do that (I thought they needed to win by a certain margin to overtake Wales on PD too but I could be wrong) then you are honestly telling me that the right thing to do would be to kick the ball into touch and just take the win in the game?

But they couldn't win the tournament with a 3 point lead and the clock in the red, so why not put it out take the win and be done with it.

Instead he's cost them the game too.

No matter what he did there, France couldn't win the tournament so surely you may as well think 'let's at least win this game'?

8 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Scenario: Last game of the season, Hearts are in 2nd place, Champions League spot, and 2-1 up but need to win by 2 goals to win the league. A draw leaves us in 3rd, Europa League qualification. You want us to play to hold onto the 2-1 victory in the 90th minute? No, you want us to go hell for leather for a 3rd goal.

John Findlay
13 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Seriously try playing sport. For someone who has no affinity to Rugby or Rugby team, you dont half have a bee in your bonnet.

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Seriously try playing sport. For someone who has no affinity to Rugby or Rugby team, you dont half have a bee in your bonnet.

If as Taffin has said, and as I pointed out that I originally thought, they needed more than try then I agree they should have put the ball into touch. Another try in that case would have had no benefit.

As for your 'try playing sport' comment...**** off.

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

But they couldn't win the tournament with a 3 point lead and the clock in the red, so why not put it out take the win and be done with it.

Instead he's cost them the game too.

No matter what he did there, France couldn't win the tournament so surely you may as well think 'let's at least win this game'?

Absolutely agree that if they needed more than one more try to win the tournament then there was no benefit going for an extra try for a meaningless BP. It was suggested above that the additional try gave them the 6N, which was against my original thoughts, but I just assumed I was wrong.

5 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Absolutely agree that if they needed more than one more try to win the tournament then there was no benefit going for an extra try for a meaningless BP. It was suggested above that the additional try gave them the 6N, which was against my original thoughts, but I just assumed I was wrong.

Ah I get you. Yeh if they could have still won the tournament then, absolutely keep it alive and go for it...but it was well gone for them at that point. They needed another 18 points at that stage. 

Nice of them though for us that they tried and then immediately gave away a penalty 😂😂

10 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

A bit slow a recycling the ball. 

Price annoys the **** out of me doing his Mr Cool act at the base of the scrum. He is completely unaware of the need to get the ball out quickly when our scrum is under pressure. We conceded one first-half penalty last night from a French second shove Stevie Wonder could have seen coming while Price was standing oblivious with the ball at his feet completely ignoring what was happening to his forwards.

I swore loudly at the TV.

132goals1958
32 minutes ago, leginten said:

Price annoys the **** out of me doing his Mr Cool act at the base of the scrum. He is completely unaware of the need to get the ball out quickly when our scrum is under pressure. We conceded one first-half penalty last night from a French second shove Stevie Wonder could have seen coming while Price was standing oblivious with the ball at his feet completely ignoring what was happening to his forwards.

So frustrating as it was the most basic of basic errors  

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Ah I get you. Yeh if they could have still won the tournament then, absolutely keep it alive and go for it...but it was well gone for them at that point. They needed another 18 points at that stage. 

Nice of them though for us that they tried and then immediately gave away a penalty 😂😂

think you’ll find Harris won that 

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Speak for yourself. Last night was test Rugby. Tell the French and Scots players it was meaningless. 

I don't think Sooperstar gets rugby. There's never a meaningless game for Scotland in Rugby Union, it's all about pride. 

1 hour ago, leginten said:

The young scrum half, Jamie Dobie at Glasgow will be taking his #9 soon enough. Very Gary Armstrong-esq. 

scottishguy
3 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

" on occasion it can be entertaining. A bit like cricket."

Said no one EVER😂😂😂

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, leginten said:

It seems to have been a problem for years at scrum half, it’s really noticeable with us compared to others teams. I think it has to be deliberate whether to catch a breath, get the tactics right for the next move, tire the opposition or just wasting time with the ball. It’s frustrating to say the least. A bit like watching our slow build up play every week for the last few years. 

Roxy Hearts
41 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

The young scrum half, Jamie Dobie at Glasgow will be taking his #9 soon enough. Very Gary Armstrong-esq. 

That's some compliment. Gary is one of the greatest players I've ever had the joy to witness.

1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

That's some compliment. Gary is one of the greatest players I've ever had the joy to witness.

He certainly was. Maybe the greatest scrum half ever. 

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He certainly was. Maybe the greatest scrum half ever. 

In my lifetime Gareth Edwards has been the best scrum half.

Scots wise Roy Laidlaw.

6 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Depends what you see as dynamic. I think Hastings looks to get more involved and appears more athletic. 

They are different so the dynamics change. Anyway they are both good.

Hastings is the better Rugby player but Finn is the one that I'd want starting because he has flashes of genius that Hastings isn't capable of.

Hastings will be great for Scotland like his paw and uncle, but he strikes me as a robotic rugby player in the mould of Farrell.

willie wallace

Just saw the team arriving back up at the Norton House Hotel.

Had a wee chat with Gregor Townsend and asked if he was doing anything this afternoon.

No luck though😧

Roxy Hearts
1 hour ago, BudgeUp said:

Hastings is the better Rugby player but Finn is the one that I'd want starting because he has flashes of genius that Hastings isn't capable of.

Hastings will be great for Scotland like his paw and uncle, but he strikes me as a robotic rugby player in the mould of Farrell.

He breaks the gain line well. Russell always thinking but just wish sometimes he'd do the basics.

23 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Thanks. I haven’t seen Glasgow at all this season but look forward to seeing Dobie in action.

10 minutes ago, Barack said:

Interesting. Still won't get near the Tour though, imo. Which is a pity. North's defence is shite at times, especially when he was around at first & on the wing. Employing his Hulk Smash routine. Same as Alex Cuthbert funnily enough. Wonder what, or who, they have to thank for their tour appearances...?🤔

Should've moved to the Scarlets, Duhan. You'd be in the Lions squad tomorrow.

Lions wingers:

Earls

Adams

May

Watson

LRZ*( *This tour's Gatland Wales pick.)

Liam Williams will go too, as he covers wing & FB. 

Suppose LRZ also primarily RW and DVDM left.

Also, I think it was the BBC Scotland Rugby podcast that said VDM should hang around attacking rucks more as an auxiliary forward as with his strength and finishing maybe he would score even more tries.

Adam Murray

If it's comparisons with Welsh wonderkid LRZ, then DVM wins hands down.

Both played 400 minutes.

Tries DVM 5   LRZ 4

Metres made DVM 474   LRZ 351

Carries DVM 44   LRZ 27

Broken tackles DVM 32 (incredible)  LRZ 6

Tackles made DVM 13      LRZ 28

Dominant Tackles DVM 2     LRZ 1

Both exceptional players, and both playing in their first 6 Nations.

I think with DVM, and perhaps it will happen more, as seen with his first try against France, is that he needs to get involved more, needs to come inside more often.

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Ah, but, but, but....LRZ outpaced Hogg & did two acrobatic tries(1 not). So that means he's a shoe-in. 

Scores against Scotland. Practically a Gatland family member now!

also you need to take into account he is welsh that means he gets in

John Findlay

Zammit plays off the cuff. So does a certain Finn Russell. One will make the plane and one will not. One is Welsh and one is not. It doesnt need Columbo, Holmes, Marple, Morse, or even Poirot to work this one out.

On 27/03/2021 at 11:20, Roxy Hearts said:

3 hours ago, leginten said:

Thanks. I haven’t seen Glasgow at all this season but look forward to seeing Dobie in action.

Not good enough for fly half, punted to centre, proceed to be probably the worst starting centre in the tournament. 
Yet this unnamed person will be on the plane to SA. 

35 minutes ago, Barack said:

Catches the Welsh wunderkinder too.

On a related note to him & VDM, I stumbled upon this little factoid.

Gatland: "Yeah, but he missed a tackle against France, eh!"

Screenshot_20210328-141100_Twitter.jpg

VDM has to go. 

The Lions can :bolt:if

Watson, Hogg, VDM, Russell, Ritchie, and Sutherland at the very least, aren't there. 

Johnny Gray, Sam Johnson, Fagersson and Maitland have good shouts too. 

Owen Farrell shouldn't be near the Lions squad, absolute huddy. Nor should many other English players bar Itoje, May, Slade, and maybe Anthony Watson but there's competition on the wings. 

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Owen Farrell shouldn't be near the Lions squad, absolute huddy. Nor should many other English players bar Itoje, May, Slade, and maybe Anthony Watson but there's competition on the wings. 

i would possibly include lawes, but im not sure who from the other nations play in his position

5 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i would possibly include lawes, but im not sure who from the other nations play in his position

He's good but he's barely played since October due to injuries and he's out again until June I think. 

Roxy Hearts
58 minutes ago, Barack said:

Catches the Welsh wunderkinder too.

On a related note to him & VDM, I stumbled upon this little factoid.

Gatland: "Yeah, but he missed a tackle against France, eh!"

Screenshot_20210328-141100_Twitter.jpg

Jamie Dobie looks exceptional. Hopefully he'll get invited into the squad for more experience.

7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He's good but he's barely played since October due to injuries and he's out again until June I think. 

ah didn't know he was out.

i would also like to see as a wild card redpath. played well in the opening game but has missed the rest of the games due to injury.

6 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Jamie Dobie looks exceptional. Hopefully he'll get invited into the squad for more experience.

He was in the Scotland squad this year. Should have capped him v Italy. 

Just now, milky_26 said:

ah didn't know he was out.

i would also like to see as a wild card redpath. played well in the opening game but has missed the rest of the games due to injury.

Yeah. A lot of Scotland players have a good shout. He'll definitely be a Lion one day though. 

Roxy Hearts
51 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He was in the Scotland squad this year. Should have capped him v Italy. 

Yeah. A lot of Scotland players have a good shout. He'll definitely be a Lion one day though. 

I was unaware he was in squad. He looks the best we've got as Price is poor and not seen much of Steele but I do like George Horne.

Adam Murray

I like George Horne at 9, and he probably will be the future along with Dobbie for Scotland, although sometimes Horne's game management under pressure can be suspect.

Price led the stats in this seasons 6 nations for passes made, 347 of them, which shows he's always there trying to control his areas.

He also never started against Italy, so that's a pretty good return for passes made.

Thought against France on Friday his presence made Dupont have his quietest game for a while.

I do believe he could be quicker with his plays though, especially on Scotland's scrum.

On Scotland's future, I think it looks not too bad, check out this try the other week there from young Rufus Mclean

(10) 21 Year Old Rufus McLean Amazing Solo Try - Glasgow Warriors vs Dragons - YouTube

Roxy Hearts
1 hour ago, Adam Murray said:

I like George Horne at 9, and he probably will be the future along with Dobbie for Scotland, although sometimes Horne's game management under pressure can be suspect.

Price led the stats in this seasons 6 nations for passes made, 347 of them, which shows he's always there trying to control his areas.

He also never started against Italy, so that's a pretty good return for passes made.

Thought against France on Friday his presence made Dupont have his quietest game for a while.

I do believe he could be quicker with his plays though, especially on Scotland's scrum.

On Scotland's future, I think it looks not too bad, check out this try the other week there from young Rufus Mclean

(10) 21 Year Old Rufus McLean Amazing Solo Try - Glasgow Warriors vs Dragons - YouTube

That's a superb try. Thanks for posting.