2021 Six Nations

PortyJambo

3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

He should take Van der Merwe as he'll be able lip read/overhear what they're saying to each other in Afrikaans. :lol:

:spoton:

Plus he's a powerful carrier and fast as ****. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Tazio

• neilnunb

• Cruyff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Cruyff said:

:spoton:

Plus he's a powerful carrier and fast as ****. 

Yeah, I'd like to see him there for his rugby ability alone but with Gatland you just know he'll go for the wunderkind from the valleys. 

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

Yeah, I'd like to see him there for his rugby ability alone but with Gatland you just know he'll go for the wunderkind from the valleys. 

Without a doubt. 

John Findlay
8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Personally don't believe many England players deserve to go. They got leathered by all the home nations. 

Itoje is the exception. He's absolutely magnificent. He'd walk into any side in the world at lock or 8.

Johnny May is a pretty good winger. 

Henry Slade is a good centre or fly half. 

Curry is a good flanker but has had a very poor 6 nations and I'd take Watson, Navidi, CJ Stander (at 8 or flanker) and Jamie Ritchie ahead of him. 

Certainly wouldn't take Farrell. He's been dugshit for a while. 

Apart from that maybe Sinckler the prop. 

CJ Stander retired from All international rugby after the game on Saturday 

Just now, John Findlay said:

CJ Stander retired from All international rugby after the game on Saturday 

Had a cracking 6 nations. Fair enough. 

I P Knightley
15 hours ago, Boof said:

Can't see any mention on BBC site of Ellis Genge's altercation with Sexton.

Escaped a citing.

I've not seen this. Don't tell me that Genge is about to go up in my estimation. :turmoil:

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Always have someone off the cuff just like Gregor Townsend was back in 1997. Gatland likes his Rugby, like his own persona, dour.

I know I've written this previously but don't think in this thread.

I have neighbours whose kids were at school with Gatland's lad, Bryn. One mate in particular is a massive rugby fan - going on all the Lions tours; taking my kilt to any Scotland games he gets tickets to in Rome and Paris etc. So you'd think he'd be thrilled to be sat at a table with Gatland at some school function, wouldn't you? He actually asked to move table away from Gatland 'cos he is so thick and boring.

4 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

You've got the world's rugby press calling Russell the best fly half in the world (albeit "mercurial"), Gatland would have to be even dumber than he actually is to not put him on the tour.

Sutherland is a good shout to be on the tour at tight-head with Healy and Wyn Jones all being remarkably close. Fagerson, Furlong & Francis at loose-head. Guaranteed, though, that Gatland will put at least one of the English numpties in there.

Answering @John Findlay:

Van der Merwe is an outsider. It's almost certain that he'll pick Louis Rees-Zammit as the 'inexperienced/new find' tourist so to have a second one in the same position might be a big ask, especially when there are so many good wingers in the four nations (A Watson, L Williams, Maitland, Earls, Adams, Daly, May). Unless Gatland sees there being a bit of fun in having a native Afrikaans speaker to get in the Saffers' ears but I don't think he's as petty as me :D

Similarly with Oor Huw Jones. A fantastic attacking player but Gatland likes centres to be built like me. Well, likes them to be my weight at least :D. There's a few centres who have started more regularly for their countries and not done much wrong: Ringrose, Henshaw, Slade, Davies, North (who's found his best position after 100 caps) and, of course, he'll have to find a place on tour for the worst centre of the six nations - Farrell.

Another possible new boy is, of course, Redpath. Remember that there used to be a time when the Lions touring squad would have one uncapped player? I remember John Bentley being one who came exrtemely good. There's no pressure to maintain that tradition since it's not been followed on the last 3 or 4 tours but with standards being so close and England being so poor (and SA having had no rugby), it may be a punt worth taking to have a couple of players with only a few caps.

I'm a big fan of Huw Jones. Could be a good shout. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

There will be at least one pick on the tour that will be a genuine WTF. Like his decision on the last one to pick two hookers from England. 

Sharon and Tracey?

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

There will be at least one pick on the tour that will be a genuine WTF. Like his decision on the last one to pick two hookers from England. 

See below.

Farrell should be nowhere near this tour.

4 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

@John Findlay

There's a few centres who have started more regularly for their countries and not done much wrong: Ringrose, Henshaw, Slade, Davies, North (who's found his best position after 100 caps) and, of course, he'll have to find a place on tour for the worst centre of the six nations - Farrell.

The Lions have just put out a press release saying that they, in agreement with SA, remain committed to the series taking place in SA. Hopefully they can make it happen as it wouldn’t be the same in a neutral country or the UK. 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Boof said:

Wowsers.

What a nasty wee ^^^^ he is. But he didn't deserve that elbowing off Genge. A bit poor that the ref or TMO never picked up on it but when Genge sees that the ref's had enough of Sexton's whinging, he goes all in, saying, 'yes, I did it."

willie wallace
58 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The Lions have just put out a press release saying that they, in agreement with SA, remain committed to the series taking place in SA. Hopefully they can make it happen as it wouldn’t be the same in a neutral country or the UK. 

Yea.Hope it does and some fans are allowed as my son's hospitality business relies heavily on sports events in Johannesburg and Pretoria and rugby tests do are the biggest events.

Like here they have had no fans for a year now and were  worried the games would be played over here.

15 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

on the bench

should be starting 100% 

offers tons more than Harris

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, merrymac said:

should be starting 100% 

offers tons more than Harris

But hasn't been getting many starts for Glasgow. Maybe that's come into the thinking? 

I'm with you, though. I'd have Jones any time he fit. Nothing like a bit of Jason Bourne running sharp lines through the oppo.

The French have Fakatawa at 13, though. Its Harris a better tackler? 

Think Harris is the better defender but surely we want to try and win the game and  Jones is a difference maker

Maybe Townsend has got a touch of the Robbies 😏

Tho I always want Scotland to win. This time I couldn't care less, as long as the sheepshaggers lose the championship. 

I P Knightley

Matt Fagerson injured out of the match with Ryan Wilson coming to the bench while Haining takes the No8 place.

Shame that, as Fagerson's been strong all four games.

Sorry, Milky. A bit of a Peebles time difference. I got sidetracked looking back at the video of Wilson winding up Farrell at Murrayfield. Good lad!

Edited by I P Knightley

On 24/03/2021 at 17:34, merrymac said:

Scotland team named for France - no Huw Jones WTF??

Team also shaped by decision to only release 5 English club players. 

Part of reason Sean Maitland and Duncan Taylor (and Jamie Bhatti) miss out. 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Team also shaped by decision to only release 5 English club players. 

Part of reason Sean Maitland and Duncan Taylor (and Jamie Bhatti) miss out. 

I hope that the bufties at the SRU aren't just sitting around taking this on the chin. I don't blame the English (although putting a cap of five across the whole country is arbitrary; why not one/two players per club?) but it all goes back to Galthie and the Frenchies disregarding the Covid rules when they were in Italy. It shouldn't be Scotland that's handicapped for this. We should be given a 14-0 head start or something.

Also, Maitland could have been in consideration for a spot on the Lions tour. He's had a good 6N and could have really made Gatland take notice if he had a storming hour or so tonight.

I have a feeling I'll be cross about this for the rest of the day.

Just warming up for the match by watching St Helens - Salford RL. There won’t be a collision in the Scotland game like just happened in it. Two big South Seas lads with the bigger one at full speed. The tackler was out cold before he even hit the ground. 

Paddy Crossan

Just put £40 on Scotland. I know eff all about rugby but it’s in the telly and I’ll keep watching until my bet is goosed

2 minutes ago, Paddy Crossan said:

Just put £40 on Scotland. I know eff all about rugby but it’s in the telly and I’ll keep watching until my bet is goosed

Good luck

Got a good feeling too 

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I'm pleased the game is being played.

But it's pretty clear it should have been 28-0 walk over. 

I want the game to be played but would have favoured a handicap.

Not only are we short of Maitland, Taylor (who probably wouldn't have featured) and Bhatti, we could have called up another back rower from the English clubs to step in when Fagerson got injured (can't remember the name).

All this because Galthie couldn't keep it in his trousers.

Then the French Fokkers had the cheek to 'celebrate' national waffle day on social media. Not that Galthie's mistress has blue waffle but the players broke covid protocols to go out and get a waffle, thereby infecting half the squad. Rubbing our noses in it.

Feckin' raging - I hope their hamstrings all pop.

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Pretty sure France will ragdoll Scotland.  

Said as much earlier. We’re both wanting to play the same game with expansive running rugby, they just do it better. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Said as much earlier. We’re both wanting to play the same game with expansive running rugby, they just do it better. 

I'm going 25 points.

So ridiculous that this game was postponed because French broke the rules and couldn't field a team and now we are down 3 players...

Another couple of dodgy decisions from Barnes and the French will start to get a bit ratty about him being against them. Or they would have in the past.