2021 Six Nations

PortyJambo

Scotland squad for the 2021 6N has been announced. Cameron Redpath, son of former Scotland scrum half Bryan, is the surprise inclusion. He's played for England at U20's, and been included in their full squad before, but never played, so must have been persuaded to turn out for Scotland instead. I know his dad had said before, slightly jokingly, that he'd rather he played for Scotland!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55732236

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Tazio

• neilnunb

• Cruyff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Are the Hornes both injured, too?

George is out injured, not sure about his brother, although can see that he's been out with concussion and is only just coming back to play for Glasgow so maybe not considered?

Seymour M Hersh

I'm not sure I want Hogg as captain. He needs to focus (and by that I mean playing with freedom) only on his game and not have to bother about everything else. 

• 2 weeks later...
Captain Sausage

Decent team.

Turner a major weakness. 

Assume Taylor is injured as he’s not on the bench. Don’t rate Harris. 

Otherwise a pretty solid XV who start with the toughest possible fixture. 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Captain Sausage said:

Decent team.

Turner a major weakness. 

Assume Taylor is injured as he’s not on the bench. Don’t rate Harris. 

Otherwise a pretty solid XV who start with the toughest possible fixture. 

Taylor got injured the other week when Sarries were playing at Ealing. The guy has nae luck.

Going to try follow the 6 Nations this year I think. Lockdown boredom is making me do funny things! Been a long time though since I sat down and watched a game of Rugby though. Living in Hawick for 4 years made me catch the bug though at the time.

Fun fact, I was in the year below Stuart Hogg at high school!

Couldn’t give a toss about rugby.

Exceptionally, I hope Scotland beat England.  Just because that’s what I’m supposed to want, having been born in Edinburgh.

If they don’t however, it will not matter one wee jot to me.

40 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Over confidence of weakened England team and no fans.

23.16 Scotland.

I’d expected that we’ll lose and wasn’t too concerned. 
Then I read the comments from England fans on BBC Sports posts on social media. 
So let’s get stuck right into that over hyped bunch of diddies tomorrow. 

Shanks said no

If there is a queue to punch Eddie Jones can someone let me know? Want to be near the front when it still hurts.

PS I am not that much into rugby but he has niggled me big time

Maroon Sailor
9 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

If there is a queue to punch Eddie Jones can someone let me know? Want to be near the front when it still hurts.

PS I am not that much into rugby but he has niggled me big time

What's he being saying this time ?

Maroon Sailor
12 hours ago, Morgan said:

Exceptionally, I hope Scotland beat England.  Just because that’s what I’m supposed to want, having been born in Edinburgh.

Got free tickets off the school for Murrayfield and it was always a great day out - then the run on the pitch after the match - never quite sure what the point of that was 😄

Fortunate Scotland had some good teams in the 70's and 80's and I saw them beat every 5 nation team apart from ..... England. Saw Scotland draw 9-9 with them.

Shanks said no
23 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

What's he being saying this time ?

Trying get under the players skin with his mind games.

England head coach Eddie Jones says the weight of expectation may get "heavy" for Scotland in the latter stages of Saturday's Calcutta Cup match.

The fixture marks the 150th anniversary of the sides' first meeting, but Jones insists the Scots will not be the only team with national pride on the line.

England are the defending Six Nations champions, while Scotland have not won at Twickenham since 1983.

"For Scotland it is the most important game of the year," Jones said.

"They talk about it all the time. But Scotland don't have a monopoly on pride.

"Our players get an opportunity to play in this historic game and they are going to be ready for it.

"You listen to the Scottish and how much it means to them - it's their biggest game of the year, their most important game, they are playing for trophies.

"That's a huge expectation for them and maybe, with 15 minutes to go in the game, the expectation is going to get pretty heavy for them."

Maroon Sailor
8 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Trying get under the players skin with his mind games.

England head coach Eddie Jones says the weight of expectation may get "heavy" for Scotland in the latter stages of Saturday's Calcutta Cup match.

The fixture marks the 150th anniversary of the sides' first meeting, but Jones insists the Scots will not be the only team with national pride on the line.

England are the defending Six Nations champions, while Scotland have not won at Twickenham since 1983.

"For Scotland it is the most important game of the year," Jones said.

"They talk about it all the time. But Scotland don't have a monopoly on pride.

"Our players get an opportunity to play in this historic game and they are going to be ready for it.

"You listen to the Scottish and how much it means to them - it's their biggest game of the year, their most important game, they are playing for trophies.

"That's a huge expectation for them and maybe, with 15 minutes to go in the game, the expectation is going to get pretty heavy for them."

I think Scotland are too clever to be taken in by the Aussie gobshite.

It's old hat now

Truth of the matter is the Scots get under his skin

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Shanks said no

My first rugby game was the Calcutta cup match on 2nd February 1974. My dad had promised to take me to my first Hearts away game at Dunfermline but it was called off due to flooding (just checked on London Hearts as I thought it was Dumbarton)

The 9 year old me must have been seriously disappointed as he made a couple of calls and got us tickets for the rugby. We picked them up from the Ferranti Social Club. I rattled off question after question and dad finally conceded he knew nothing of rugby including how many points you got for a try or conversion. 

The crowd was enormous and when Irvine scored the winner with the last minute kick it was astounding. Probably my best non football sports moment.

thanks dad

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

I P Knightley
46 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Got free tickets off the school for Murrayfield and it was always a great day out - then the run on the pitch after the match - never quite sure what the point of that was 😄

Fortunate Scotland had some good teams in the 70's and 80's and I saw them beat every 5 nation team apart from ..... England. Saw Scotland draw 9-9 with them.

Likewise, I used to get schoolboy enclosure seats. First game was in '73. When the school tickets dried up, I'd get them from a clothes shop in George Street (Aitken & Niven?) or, once or twice from punters in the car park.

I got my ticket for the 9-9 match from some English folk having their picnic in the car park. Only had 50p cos I'd gone along expecting to get through the gap in the fence at the clock end but a policeman was stationed there. 

Unlike you, I got to see a Calcutta Cup win. 33-6; it was worth the wait.  

First refereeing gripe of this year's 6N is that, after a box kick, the referee is calling 'Hold, seven...' when he has no idea if the winger on the other side - out of his field of view - has actually played everyone onside.

4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Free tickets ?

I used to get tickets for the schoolboy benches but they weren't free.

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Free tickets ?

I used to get tickets for the schoolboy benches but they weren't free.

We used to get cheap tickets through school but never for the schoolboy benches. We always presumed that was the posh schools that got those. 

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Yes, I got free tickets for Murrayfield from my school as well.  👍

If only they’d known that I hated rugby!

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

At what stage does someone accept that Italy are never improving and need kicked out of this?

Replaced by who? Go back to the five nations?

Edited by Dawnrazor

1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

At what stage does someone accept that Italy are never improving and need kicked out of this?

The worry is that they introduce a 2nd tier and promotion and relegation. Then Scotland make a total balls of it one year (not unknown) and end up with a 6 nations against Romania, Georgia, Spain, Russia, and Portugal.  

33 minutes ago, Tazio said:

We used to get cheap tickets through school but never for the schoolboy benches. We always presumed that was the posh schools that got those. 

Used to get them when l was at Heriot's, not free though. Had to wear our school uniforms to attend and were told that if you went onto the pitch at the end of the match, we were in trouble. Being the coward that l am, l never went on.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Replaced by who? Go back to the five nations?

I would personally. Don’t know about you but any time Italy are on, I can’t be bothered. You know they’re going to lose and more to the point, lose easily.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The worry is that they introduce a 2nd tier and promotion and relegation. Then Scotland make a total balls of it one year (not unknown) and end up with a 6 nations against Romania, Georgia, Spain, Russia, and Portugal.  

God damn. What a thought 

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

You know they’re going to lose and more to the point, lose easily.

Didn't realise this was a Hibs thread.

10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

That's the set up I had in mind, but Scotland getting relegated would mean life wouldn't be worth living for us down here 😅

11 minutes ago, Tazio said:

But giving the likes of Romania and Georgia the chance to promote up seems good for the game, no?

9 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I would personally. Don’t know about you but any time Italy are on, I can’t be bothered. You know they’re going to lose and more to the point, lose easily.

I get your point, but I thought they have got a wee bit better and France were good today, they'll win it this year I think, I'm not sure what the answer to Italy is really.

Captain Sausage
18 hours ago, Morgan said:

Thanks for diving in to provide those insights. I might nip into the cricket thread and let everyone know I don’t give a shit later. 

FWIw, reckon we’ll lose by 10-15. England just too strong and too much depth. If we can hold our own at set pieces, particularly the scrum, we give Russell a platform and stand a chance. 

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

But giving the likes of Romania and Georgia the chance to promote up seems good for the game, no?

Yes. But if it means Scotland getting dumped sod that. 

Genge and Farrell in the England starting line up. 
It’s tricky to work out which is a bigger shitbag. 

Edited by Tazio

18 hours ago, Morgan said:

I kinda felt like that for 30 years, liked it a bit at school, never bothered about it untill my son started playing about 4 years ago, I love it now, love watching my sons team play as much as the internationals and going to see Sale Sharks.

18 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Thanks for diving in to provide those insights. I might nip into the cricket thread and let everyone know I don’t give a shit later. 

FWIw, reckon we’ll lose by 10-15. England just too strong and too much depth. If we can hold our own at set pieces, particularly the scrum, we give Russell a platform and stand a chance. 

See you on the cricket thread!

FWIW, I don’t give a toss about cricket either, but thanks for diving in.  👍