SFA to conduct 'fit and proper' test on Livingston boss

Locky

adambraejambo

Livingston should play dirty and beat SFA at their own game . Announce Martindale is stepping down back to assistant manager . Then  announce the new man in charge. 

20210120_120227.jpg

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Locky

• john thomas

• JDK2020

• quockerwodgerjambo

brunoatemyhamster
2 minutes ago, adambraejambo said:

Livingston should play dirty and beat SFA at their own game . Announce Martindale is stepping down back to assistant manager . Then  announce the new man in charge. 

20210120_120227.jpg

Amazing

I'd rather have sweep though. 

Imagine the pressers. 

39 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Maxwell in dodge and deflect mode?

Be good to see popcorn teeth facing a disrepute charge.

Be even better if the whole shitshow got disbanded. 

...where did you see this? Must have missed it.

20 minutes ago, brunoatemyhamster said:

Amazing

I'd rather have sweep though. 

Imagine the pressers. 

:rofl:

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

It's ridiculous, the guys done his time, paid back a 6 figure proceeds of crime order back and rehabilitated himself. The court says the guys fine yet the SFA need to question his character, drag him through their system to clear him like they are above all that. Absolute cretins. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

He won't but that's the point, it's a waste of time. As stated, the guys done his time in the eyes of the law, re-paid monies, rehabilitated himself, been working at Livi for years as a coach with young people. It seems a bit of a shame that the SFA are treating him as if he were still a criminal and dragging up a long and distant past when in recent years they declared the likes of Dave King as fit and proper. 

4 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Everyone deserves a second chance. He serve his time

It's actually an obligation to consider people's previous offences as part but not a bar to employment unless in some specific areas such as working with children. 'Rehabilitation of Offenders' has been a principle for at least 30 years. 

I don't know the precise law. But the SFA should be careful. 

2 hours ago, Locky said:

You're spot on, but as you say timing is everything. Martindale has been involved in several capacities at Livingston Football Club, since 2014. He's been in charge of the first team since November 26th. At no point during that timeframe, was his criminal conviction unknown. It's been common knowledge among all in Scottish football, exactly who he is and what he's done.

Yes, a test should've been carried out a long time ago, but why publicly announce it on the morning of a Livingston match regardless of their opponent. It's just going to unsettle the team and create a negative atmosphere at the club until the outcome of the test. Just so happens, their opponents are Celtic. Also just so happens, that Celtic's manager has made a complete fool of himself 48 hours ago, and rather than deal with him, they've got someone else now to focus on.

This was in the public domain long before today

He has done his time and is a changed man watching his interviews and the way he has Livingston is playing is refreshing. 

Dave King 

Gallagher from Motherwell 

Craig Thomson ? 

And if he goes on to be a great manager, wins trophies (one on the horizon), he wont be eligible for future Scotland manager ?

29 minutes ago, john thomas said:

This was in the public domain long before today

Was it? First I heard today that the SFA were actually going to carry it out.

Brick Tamland

Digging a bit into the SFA Vice President would be interesting 🤔 

Edited by Brick Tamland
Spelling

2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Martindale talked about it on Saturday before the Livi game . Previous hearing had been cancelled , rescheduled for today . He assumed the date would be changed again because of tonight's game

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Declan Gallagher. While at Dundee in 2013, he turned up to an anniversary party at a hotel with a baseball bat and beat someone pretty badly. Went to jail in 2015 while at Livingston and was released on appeal, but then lost that appeal and went back to jail. Since coming out for real, he's went back to Livi, signed for Motherwell, and now become a Scotland international. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for Martindale surely.

Cheers.....Agree with you on your last point.

Also..... Didn't Lennon (allegedly) hold a knife to the throat if a former partner....?

The beaks have a habit of getting things wrong. Wind back to Duncan Ferguson....!

Edited by Section Q

3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Ridiculous, petty stuff from the SFA. It's because he's doing well, if he was doing shite, they wouldn't care less. 

:spoton:

He's rocking the boat in more ways than one and they most certainly don't like it up 'em. They knew all about the guy's past ages ago and waited until now to announce an investigation? The most shocking thing is that the SFA actually think that we all believe the pish they come out with.

been here before
5 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Also..... Didn't Lennon (allegedly) hold a knife to the throat if a former partner....?

Nah not St Neil.

You're obviously thinking of a different Neil Lennon...

"Bolton Wanderers boss Neil Lennon apologises for knife threat against former mistress

The football manager, who held on to his position after an inquiry into the incident, said he was sorry if his actions had 'caused anyone any upset or duress'

Soccer boss Neil Lennon has apologised after The Sunday Mirror exposed him for making a knife threat against his former mistress .

Speaking about it for the first time after his club Bolton lost 4-0 at Rotherham, Lennon admitted the scandal “may have had a negative effect”.

Then he added: “If it has caused anyone any upset or duress then I apologise.”

Bolton Wanderers set up an inquiry after we revealed how Lennon intimidated his mistress for threatening to reveal the affair. But the club decided he should keep his job.

The un-named woman, who we called Kim, had discovered the ex-Celtic idol was seeing a third lover behind his long term partner Irene McCloy’s back.

Kim told how he issued a threat to her that someone “could” put a knife to her throat. He also offered £10,000 for her silence.

She said yesterday: “I feel much safer now.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/bolton-wanderers-boss-neil-lennon-7075826

Edited by been here before

highlandjambo3

My wife, who is English and not particularly interested in football, was getting fed up with me spouting stuff about the way our game is governed and bias shown to the cheeks, how we’ve been treated etc........a few months ago I asked her to show a little patience and try to look at Scottish football from a 3rd party impartial person looking in pretending not to know to much.  So now as I explain each and every issue involving our game (in slow football language) she is absolutely stunned at the way Celtic both act and, are treated by the media and our governing body.

6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

What about Declan Gallagher then? He hit someone over the head with a baseball bat?  I would imagine most of the owners in the SPFL have skeletons in their cupboards, look at Dave King or Dermott Desmond. Gerrard and Lennon have nothing been convicted of crimes. Rix or Thompson? How about one of the dodgiest companies out there who work for the SPFL, Deloitte who have been fined or charged in numerous countries all around the world. 
House of cards mate. 

I never knew about the Gallagher affair. There are lot's of players, officials..etc in the game....the boy at Dundee with the tag on his leg, Evan's down South.....Plenty that have got convictions, and still involved in the game at all levels.

I was in no way condemning Martindale......I just believe that it is right to carry out "fit & proper" procedure, albeit at the appropriate time. If found to be F&P, by all means let the guy continue in the role that he is apparently well suited for.

Meanwhile if the clowns at the SFA find him unfit. Then let them declare publicly on what grounds they have reached that decision. 

What are the SFA trying to imply here?   That people who have served their time have no chance of being rehabilitated?  That because he has a criminal record, he is not worthy of having a job?  Maybe he should just stay at home collecting the giro instead.

**** me, they're the biggest lot of crooks going, and they have the cheek to conduct a "fit and proper person" test after some of the absolute nonsense they have allowed in the past?

Just now, Hashimoto said:

I never knew about the Gallagher affair. There are lot's of players, officials..etc in the game....the boy at Dundee with the tag on his leg, Evan's down South.....Plenty that have got convictions, and still involved in the game at all levels.

I was in no way condemning Martindale......I just believe that it is right to carry out "fit & proper" procedure, albeit at the appropriate time. If found to be F&P, by all means let the guy continue in the role that he is apparently well suited for.

Meanwhile if the clowns at the SFA find him unfit. Then let them declare publicly on what grounds they have reached that decision. 

It's the SFA's historical failure to be even handed that gets folks goat. We all know. Two teams. And it should never be. It's like that that cannot be admitted. Yet if everything g came out, all the corruption down the decades, they would legitimise it by saying the best way forward is for successful  Rangers and Celtic to represent our country.  Biggest clubs, largest bigoted fan bases

SFA starting fires all over the place.

Quite astonishing what they are getting up to and who benefits. I keep wondering when the cards will all come crashing down because the amount of shit they are doing now, including attacking the government, has to be unrecoverable from.

13 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

He has to undergo an examination of sorts

Like all things to do with criminal convictions you have to ask the questions of how long should the punishment be for and how long the consequences should last......some should last a lifetime in terms of consequences others not

Without knowing his full story the investigation is the right way to go and until those in charge have completed it we do not truly know the full story.

Do you believe he has fully rehabilitated ?, should he be in charge of a club who have dealings with children and young adults ? Would he be an example to others that you can change and make a difference later in life ?

There's no easy answer and sometimes football gets you a pass where the real world would knock you back but would that be right ?

16 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Good point.   Is their F&P  process even in the public domain so that we can see what things they examine ?

12 minutes ago, tian447 said:

What are the SFA trying to imply here?   That people who have served their time have no chance of being rehabilitated?  That because he has a criminal record, he is not worthy of having a job?  Maybe he should just stay at home collecting the giro instead.

**** me, they're the biggest lot of crooks going, and they have the cheek to conduct a "fit and proper person" test after some of the absolute nonsense they have allowed in the past?

Excellent post 👍

21 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

The Scott Brown wannabe at Hamilton also played with a tag on his leg.

the way I see it if they’ve done their time then they’re entitled to make a living afterwards 

55 minutes ago, Locky said:

Martindale has spoken to the press on his conviction etc. previously and at this time I can only find Sky Sports running the SFA "Fit for Purpose" angle. I would have expected the SMSM to have run with this today but apparently not.

This from 21/12/2020

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/david-martindale-faces-livingston-job-23202215

This from Aunty

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55401687

21 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

The Scott Brown wannabe at Hamilton also played with a tag on his leg.

the way I see it if they’ve done their time then they’re entitled to make a living afterwards 

Paul McGowan of Dundee also played with a tag on.

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

The beaks have a habit of getting things wrong. Wind back to Duncan Ferguson....!

I'm sure Lennon has been in the headlines on a number of occasions for stalking ex's and the likes. Didn't Steven Gerrard also get done for smacking a DJ in a nightclub while at Liverpool?

57 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

My wife, who is English and not particularly interested in football, was getting fed up with me spouting stuff about the way our game is governed and bias shown to the cheeks, how we’ve been treated etc........a few months ago I asked her to show a little patience and try to look at Scottish football from a 3rd party impartial person looking in pretending not to know to much.  So now as I explain each and every issue involving our game (in slow football language) she is absolutely stunned at the way Celtic both act and, are treated by the media and our governing body.

Similar story here, from Good Friday on as we have been mostly in isolation, my wife has been my sounding board as I get wound up about what's going on, initially I think she thought I was losing my nut and making this stuff up, she now is at the point of wishing I didn't follow this train wreck which is Scottish football!

4 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

Martindale has spoken to the press on his conviction etc. previously and at this time I can only find Sky Sports running the SFA "Fit for Purpose" angle. I would have expected the SMSM to have run with this today but apparently not.

This from 21/12/2020

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/david-martindale-faces-livingston-job-23202215

This from Aunty

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55401687

1 hour ago, john thomas said:

Martindale talked about it on Saturday before the Livi game . Previous hearing had been cancelled , rescheduled for today . He assumed the date would be changed again because of tonight's game

Ah, this slipped under the radar a little for me. Still seems very strange, even on Sky Sports part, that they flagged this up today, when it seems to have been fairly low key up until this point. Can't really see anywhere else drawing so much attention to this.

Regardless of the legitimacy of it all, I still smell a massive rat. Foul play is afoot somewhere.

Malinga the Swinga

Timing may be wrong but he should be subjected to test as, imo, he should be allowed nowhere near Scottish football. 

This is a man who was a high ranking member of criminal gang. He didn't voluntarily stop and give up drug business, he was arrested and only while in jail did this miraculous change in him happen

He also has to prove where the funds came from that repaid the proceeds of crime fine, which was around £150k.

Cant imagine many folk have that lying about as spare change so where did it come from. 

Gallachers indiscretion could be heat of moment, Martins ale was career criminal and that's a big difference. 

Also, while discussing other managers sitting this test, can we also consider the fact that Neil Lennon has openly admitted to suffering from mental health problems and clearly, this affects his ability to work in such a role.

And when I say that, I'm not looking to knock Mr Lennon on that matter. Quite the opposite in fact. I'd be questioning whether it's fair for him to work in such a job if it affects his mental health, which judging by his many outbursts, and questionable behaviour, it seems like it does have an adverse affect on him.

Surely that is the purpose of something like a 'fit and proper person' test?

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

...where did you see this? Must have missed it.

Sadly I didn't. It would be good though. 

The Treasurer
2 minutes ago, Locky said:

Also, while discussing other managers sitting this test, can we also consider the fact that Neil Lennon has openly admitted to suffering from mental health problems and clearly, this affects his ability to work in such a role.

And when I say that, I'm not looking to knock Mr Lennon on that matter. Quite the opposite in fact. I'd be questioning whether it's fair for him to work in such a job if it affects his mental health, which judging by his many outbursts, and questionable behaviour, it seems like it does have an adverse affect on him.

Surely that is the purpose of something like a 'fit and proper person' test?

You're right, sellik have a duty of care for their employees. They are clearly failing by allowing someone to continue in a role that is too much for him to handle given his well publised mental health issues 

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Sadly I didn't. It would be good though. 

...ahh. You can't question a refereeing decision but he can say whatever he wants without punishment. Hope they get pummelled tonight!

Edited by Rogue Daddy

Ex member of the SaS

Should he be investigated? YES he should, however the time for this has long passed and to bring it up hours before a game against one of the bigots shows how corrupt this league is.

TBF to Martingale he has done his time and proved he can go straight. What a gold star for a prison system that normally makes them worse.

Said many times those running the game should be voted in every four years. Candidates put forward and clubs vote, simple.

The other big issue is where the HQ and national stadium is situated. Both should be purpose built somewhere near Stirling. Somewhere ALL teams have to travel to for the big games. Ok there will always be winners and losers, but the fact our national stadium has Sevco and Celtic " ENDS" is a massive disgrace.

1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

You're right, sellik have a duty of care for their employees. They are clearly failing by allowing someone to continue in a role that is too much for him to handle given his well publised mental health issues 

There's part of me that feels very sorry for Neil Lennon in some way. He was literally given that job because he's an easy scapegoat to take the heat off of the Celtic board. He would never turn Celtic down, and they know that, but they also know that the fans opinion on him is pretty mixed, so if it all goes to shit, he can stand there and take it all. As opposed to a top manager who would out the board for what they are.

They wonder why Rodgers was so quick to jump ship the minute a half decent offer came into his lap. Unfortunately for Lennon, irrespective of how many winners medals he has, no **** in the PL will touch him with a bargepole. A bigger scapegoat you won't find, yet he thinks we're all the enemy.

I heard on the radio a few weeks ago this was always going to happen, hence why he is only temporary manager at the moment they need the sign of from footballing authorities.

He went for it last year but was denied so had to apply again this time around before he can be named as manager.

5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

...and only while in jail did this miraculous change in him happen

While prison is a punishment, it is also there to rehabilitate.

It seems that it has worked?

I get the outrage and the actual fit & proper person test, but he's done his time, shown contrition etc.

He will always have this over him, but should that stop him moving on?

Otherwise, what is the point in trying to rehabilitate convicts?

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Boris said:

While prison is a punishment, it is also there to rehabilitate.

It seems that it has worked?

I get the outrage and the actual fit & proper person test, but he's done his time, shown contrition etc.

He will always have this over him, but should that stop him moving on?

Otherwise, what is the point in trying to 

Some convictions are not worthy of second chance. Many, if not most, of the people who he preyed on won't get one. 

1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Some convictions are not worthy of second chance. Many, if not most, of the people who he preyed on won't get one. 

In your opinion. But the criminal justice system thinks otherwise.

Thankfully.

Anybody that doesn't raise an eyebrow at the timing of this deserves to be lied to and cheated all their lives.

I hope the clubs are all taking note of the events of the past few weeks, celtic are completely riding roughshod over Scottish football while the authorities sit back and say diddly-squat.

My understanding from a friend of a friend is that, ironically, Martindale is very much "celtic-minded" (which may be why the SFA have laid off him these past couple of months), but now it matters not a jot, the SFA will be more than happy to throw him under a bus if it is deemed in the greater interest of their favourite club to suddenly be on the guy's case.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Hashimoto said:

There is loads really, I don’t think they look into all of them though so they’re hypocrites really.
I’m still not convinced that SPFL/SFA rules can stop someone from earning a living legally speaking. 
Have we all been checked as FoH contributors to see if we are now criminals, there’s bound to be some. 

haveyouheard1874
4 hours ago, Locky said:

Declan Gallagher. While at Dundee in 2013, he turned up to an anniversary party at a hotel with a baseball bat and beat someone pretty badly. Went to jail in 2015 while at Livingston and was released on appeal, but then lost that appeal and went back to jail. Since coming out for real, he's went back to Livi, signed for Motherwell, and now become a Scotland international. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for Martindale surely.

Bang on the money Bud 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Locky said:

There's part of me that feels very sorry for Neil Lennon in some way. He was literally given that job because he's an easy scapegoat to take the heat off of the Celtic board. He would never turn Celtic down, and they know that, but they also know that the fans opinion on him is pretty mixed, so if it all goes to shit, he can stand there and take it all. As opposed to a top manager who would out the board for what they are.

They wonder why Rodgers was so quick to jump ship the minute a half decent offer came into his lap. Unfortunately for Lennon, irrespective of how many winners medals he has, no **** in the PL will touch him with a bargepole. A bigger scapegoat you won't find, yet he thinks we're all the enemy.

He engineered his departure from Hibs, he has mental health issues that he knows means he shouldn’t go the job he does, it’s always everyone else’s fault. My sympathy doesn’t stretch far, certainly not to him. 

haveyouheard1874

Guys made massive mistakes in life , rightly paid the penalty and turned it round, good enough for me and hopefully he keeps his job at Livi 

Edited by haveyouheard1874

35 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Paul McGowan of Dundee also played with a tag on.

Yeh I remember that he did.👍🏻
should play with a mask on also the ugly wee shit!!

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, Boris said:

In your opinion. But the criminal justice system thinks otherwise.

Thankfully.

Yeah, he is a reformed man. When convicted and his assets frozen as proceeds from crime, did he voluntarily declare all his assets? 

Did he ****. He kept quiet about property owned in Edinburgh valued at over £300k until he was found out. 

Some rehabilitation. 

27 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Gallachers indiscretion could be heat of moment...

Lol, yeah, perhaps he just happened to be strolling home from his weekly baseball game, bat in hand, when some local ne'er-do-well accosted him.