SFA to conduct 'fit and proper' test on Livingston boss

Rick James

As it says. In the build up to a match vs Celtic, SFA have announced they are going to investigate the appointment of David Martindale due to his criminal past. The man has been in charge for 2 months now, and not a word. The timing is very suspicious indeed.

Of course, this comes in the same week that the manager with the most chequered history in the Scottish game, launched a verbal attack on several member clubs, as well as authorities and government alike. Alas, no comment from the SFA or SPFL since then. Also, only 2 months ago, a man who spent jail time for a horrific, violent assault, played in Scotland's playoff match with Serbia, the biggest game in years for the national team. The SFA had no problem allowing him to be capped.

I'll be honest, I wasn't a big fan of Martindale and the setup at Livi when I read about it upon Holt's resignation, but he's doing a terrific job at Livingston. I hope they absolutely ragdoll those scumbags tonight, just like they should've done on Saturday.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick James

• john thomas

• JDK2020

• quockerwodgerjambo

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Ridiculous, petty stuff from the SFA. It's because he's doing well, if he was doing shite, they wouldn't care less. 

It's because of who he's doing well at too, I'd say. If he was at one of the arse cheeks, they wouldn't say a ****ing word. Corrupt ****s.

5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Given they passed Dave King as fit and proper...

Ah, but Geoff, that's Rangers. They can do whatever they like don't you know.

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Ridiculous, petty stuff from the SFA. It's because he's doing well, if he was doing shite, they wouldn't care less. 

Only to be expected. They really are so transparent. 

Tin hat on!

TBF Martindale should have been subjected to a "fit and proper" test. However, as is typical with the idiots running our game, Right decision, Wrong timing! 

Without going over all the past history, we are not talking about stealing a couple of bottles of lucozade out of your local Tesco here. This was real, serious organised crime.

Edited by Hashimoto

5 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Tin hat on!

TBF Martindale should have been subjected to a "fit and proper" test. However, as is typical with the idiots running our game, Right decision, Wrong timing! 

Without going over all the past history, we are not talking about stealing a couple of bottles of lucozade out of your local Tesco here. This was real, serious organised crime.

Test was cancelled previously . According to Martindale at the weekend it wouldn't happen today because of the game .

5 minutes ago, Hashimoto said:

Tin hat on!

You're spot on, but as you say timing is everything. Martindale has been involved in several capacities at Livingston Football Club, since 2014. He's been in charge of the first team since November 26th. At no point during that timeframe, was his criminal conviction unknown. It's been common knowledge among all in Scottish football, exactly who he is and what he's done.

Yes, a test should've been carried out a long time ago, but why publicly announce it on the morning of a Livingston match regardless of their opponent. It's just going to unsettle the team and create a negative atmosphere at the club until the outcome of the test. Just so happens, their opponents are Celtic. Also just so happens, that Celtic's manager has made a complete fool of himself 48 hours ago, and rather than deal with him, they've got someone else now to focus on.

23 minutes ago, Locky said:

As it says. In the build up to a match vs Celtic, SFA have announced they are going to investigate the appointment of David Martindale due to his criminal past. The man has been in charge for 2 months now, and not a word. The timing is very suspicious indeed.

Of course, this comes in the same week that the manager with the most chequered history in the Scottish game, launched a verbal attack on several member clubs, as well as authorities and government alike. Alas, no comment from the SFA or SPFL since then. Also, only 2 months ago, a man who spent jail time for a horrific, violent assault, played in Scotland's playoff match with Serbia, the biggest game in years for the national team. The SFA had no problem allowing him to be capped.

I'll be honest, I wasn't a big fan of Martindale and the setup at Livi when I read about it upon Holt's resignation, but he's doing a terrific job at Livingston. I hope they absolutely ragdoll those scumbags tonight, just like they should've done on Saturday.

Of course its suspicious. If I was Livi, I'd be asking big questions on why this has not just taken 2 months to come round, but why it hasn't ever been done before now? He became assistant manager in 2016, that was the time to raise this. Not now, when they are on the eve of a big game. 

Fact is this has Lawwells prints all over it. They're shitting themselves off Livi for godsake and are trying to rattle them. Its disgusting and Livi's Chief Exec should be asking very loudly why this is only happening now, not 2 months ago or at any point in the last 5 years. 

This is another shinning example of the bias and corruption that exists within Scottish football. If Martindale was falling on his face they wouldn't give a shiny shite about him, but because he could realistically beat their love child they have to effectively cheat. Its disgusting and painfully transparent. 

13 minutes ago, Locky said:

It's because of who he's doing well at too, I'd say. If he was at one of the arse cheeks, they wouldn't say a ****ing word. Corrupt ****s.

It's ridiculous, the guys done his time, paid back a 6 figure proceeds of crime order back and rehabilitated himself. The court says the guys fine yet the SFA need to question his character, drag him through their system to clear him like they are above all that. Absolute cretins. 

12 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I've not been following the Scottish matches on TV but I may tune in tonight to listen to Andy Walker and to see Lennon's mocket coupon when they lose again. 

Livi win would probably see him turfed.

I suggest you do. I watched the game on Saturday, and Livi should've finished them off there and then. With their record at home, I can see it being a good laugh tonight.

SectionDJambo

If they were going investigate the guy, it should have been done months ago. The timing is typical of the SFA. Maybe still reeling from Lennon’s criticism of them and looking to deflect. I wouldn’t be surprised if the thought of doing this now came from another source, given the recent whataboutery of a certain club.

Ironic that he is being investigated by an organisation that is at best easily manipulated by a certain club, and at worst corrupt.

Most of the decision making at the SFA should be subject to investigation.

51 minutes ago, Locky said:

Who was the Scotland player......?

Fxxx the SPFL

hopefully this galvanises the Livvy players to gub these smelly barstewards and kick a few off the pitch at the same time hopefully broonie if he's playing. 

Never thought the Scottish Football authorities could sink any lower than they have over the last 9 months.  This takes the biscuit.  We will always be a laughing stock as long as we are run by clowns.  

12 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Who was the Scotland player......?

Declan Gallagher. While at Dundee in 2013, he turned up to an anniversary party at a hotel with a baseball bat and beat someone pretty badly. Went to jail in 2015 while at Livingston and was released on appeal, but then lost that appeal and went back to jail. Since coming out for real, he's went back to Livi, signed for Motherwell, and now become a Scotland international. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for Martindale surely.

52 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I've not been following the Scottish matches on TV but I may tune in tonight to listen to Andy Walker and to see Lennon's mocket coupon when they lose again. 

Livi win would probably see him turfed.

Edited by drumie jambo

The timing of this haha. Scottish football is an absolute charade  

Hope Livi scud them tonight 

Edited by Scott980612

5 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

What happens if he fails the test?? He's been in charge for months?

Strange one. Apparently the fit and proper persons test isn't required for assistants, so could Livingston just go back to using him as caretaker again anyway? Seems like a can of worms that the SFA should think twice before opening. 

1 hour ago, Locky said:

Once you start taking points off the old firm investigations start!

15 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

He won't but that's the point, it's a waste of time. As stated, the guys done his time in the eyes of the law, re-paid monies, rehabilitated himself, been working at Livi for years as a coach with young people. It seems a bit of a shame that the SFA are treating him as if he were still a criminal and dragging up a long and distant past when in recent years they declared the likes of Dave King as fit and proper. 

manaliveits105

I liked his response to sportsound interview on Saturday 

"its fair to say you fell in with the wrong types"

"No I was the wrong types "

seems a great example of rehabilitation working and Im sure after the blazers attempt to seem relevant he will be allowed to carry on - Pity they arent so hot on missing emails and sectarianism 

26 minutes ago, Locky said:

Strange one. Apparently the fit and proper persons test isn't required for assistants, so could Livingston just go back to using him as caretaker again anyway? Seems like a can of worms that the SFA should think twice before opening. 

Another can of worms? It's time the can opener was taken away from them.

Tried to shut down the championship, but the clubs told them to eff off, so they move on to Martindale to try & bully someone else to justify their shitty existence.

SFA/SPFL are a ******* embarrassment to themselves, completely shameless in their behaviour & the complete antithesis of what they’re supposed to be. Get these morons tae ****

Just now, Riccarton3 said:

It's ironic. It is the SFA that is not fit and proper. 

True and we can only hope that livi have their say on the timing of this.

The SFA has some brass neck. 

avhudtheteeshirt

Surely he must have passed SFA badges exams to even be in the position to be able to manage a team?

If so, do they just take money to pay for the course, and not check if the person is fit to run a team????

1 minute ago, Pilmuir said:

True and we can only hope that livi have their say on the timing of this.

The SFA has some brass neck. 

The culture at the SFA has been the same decade after decade. Whatever glib mission statement they have for Scottish football is a lie. 

37 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He won't but that's the point, it's a waste of time. As stated, the guys done his time in the eyes of the law, re-paid monies, rehabilitated himself, been working at Livi for years as a coach with young people. It seems a bit of a shame that the SFA are treating him as if he were still a criminal and dragging up a long and distant past when in recent years they declared the likes of Dave King as fit and proper. 

Dave king didn't,and wouldn't have, passed the fit and proper test, that's why he was the chairman of the holding company which meant he had to stand down at the last agm as they were merging both the holding company and the club.   

Wonderful how the Scottish media played it as him standing down because of family reasons.   

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

It's ridiculous, the guys done his time, paid back a 6 figure proceeds of crime order back and rehabilitated himself. The court says the guys fine yet the SFA need to question his character, drag him through their system to clear him like they are above all that. Absolute cretins. 

This.

Also the SFA, the mob who appointed Malky McKay, are now concerned about moral fortitude?! Get them so far to ****. Clowns.

I have never been a fan of Martindale being anywhere near Livingston, his criminal past is not for minor offences but top shelf organised and serious crime BUT the time of this test stinks to high heaven, coming just days after Livi should have won comfortably at the Glasgow piggery.

The Mighty Thor

Maxwell in dodge and deflect mode?

Be good to see popcorn teeth facing a disrepute charge.

Be even better if the whole shitshow got disbanded. 

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

All the results from his time in charge would have to be expunged and there wouldn't be time to replay them all, so the only fair and logical outcome is null and void the season. :whistling:

18 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

I have never been a fan of Martindale being anywhere near Livingston, his criminal past is not for minor offences but top shelf organised and serious crime BUT the time of this test stinks to high heaven, coming just days after Livi should have won comfortably at the Glasgow piggery.

I agree with all that. TBH I have no time for Livy of Martindale - that Weegie whinny voice! 🙉

The Treasurer

Regardless of whether Martindale should or shouldn't be in this role, if the gFA have timed this to unsettle Livi before tonights game, I think it may have the opposite effect.

Let's hope so