Songs that changed your music outlook because you came across another version.

niblick1874

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I’m sort of working in the opposite direction as I know a lot of old blues stuff and like hearing newer versions if they’re done well. 

Also the old blues guys had a urgency and menace to a lot of their stuff as they lived it. Compare the Doors version of Back Door Man to Howling Wolf’s original and it’s laughable. Posh boy Jim Morrison trying to sing the sinister lyrics from Brought up in poverty Howling Wolf. 

Aurora's cover of Duran Duran's Ordinary World with Naimee Coleman doing the vocals changed my music outlook a lot.  The fact that I heard it at an age where I was willing to ditch a lot of the pretentious horseshite I listened to in my younger years was probably a contributing factor too.  :laugh:

Doctor FinnBarr
1 minute ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Well to be fair its an alternative version of the Beastie Boys, "No Sleep til Brooklyn"

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

Also the old blues guys had a urgency and menace to a lot of their stuff as they lived it. Compare the Doors version of Back Door Man to Howling Wolf’s original and it’s laughable. Posh boy Jim Morrison trying to sing the sinister lyrics from Brought up in poverty Howling Wolf. 

Yeah.  That isn't one of The Doors best efforts.

I do love Where Did You Sleep Last/The Pines night.  Its a traditional song made famous by Leadbelly but I love the cover by Mark Lanegan (with Kurt Cobain + Krist of Nirvana), which Nirvana later did on Unplugged.  Those versions do add something.

Not really a stand alone different version of one song, but rap in the late 80's made me revisit and appreciate 70's soul and the Sound of Philadelphia.

Loved Heavy D's "Mr Big Stuff". Jean Knight recorded this in '71 in the same session as King Floyd's Groove Me , also brilliantly covered, by Fern Kinney.  

There’s been some interesting cross overs from what I would call Indie Rock to EDM. Or in this case trance.

Couple that stuck out are Oakenfolds take on Radiohead’s Street Spirit (Fade Out).

The other is Logo taking the relatively unpopular, compared to their other much bigger hits of Coldplay “Don’t panic” and remixing it to this.

Some will say sacrilege and others say genius.