Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )

wattie exploited

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Bongo 1874

• A_A wehatethehibs

• sadj

12 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Great move for him.  Australia is a wonderful place.  Time to put another shrimp on the barby. 

flat550x550075f.jpg

Saint Jambo
4 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Aw goodoh, that's a decent move for the boy.  Wonder how his German is!!

Hope he does well.  Good on him - woulda been very easy to head back to Dunfermline or something.  Pete Haring was playing below that level at that age.

What I find funny is that if Irving had gone to an English third tier team, it'd be seen as a good move for him, but having done so but to Germany it was laughable.  I know other countries don't have the depth of the English game, but still he probably simply saw the shop window side of things.

I like Andy - local boy, Jambo, lots of ability, just not the athleticism we needed, simple as that, not more no less to it.  Hope he has a stellar career, really do.

I'd say it is a fantastic move for him.

To go from a bit part player, rarely playing 90minutes, at a German third division team that played infront of less than 1,500 fans to an Austrian top flight team that just missed out on Europe is a phenomenal move.

14 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Great move for him.  Australia is a wonderful place.  Time to put another shrimp on the barby. 

Edited by ri Alban

Phil D. Corners
40 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

I'd say it is a fantastic move for him.

To go from a bit part player, rarely playing 90minutes, at a German third division team that played infront of less than 1,500 fans to an Austrian top flight team that just missed out on Europe is a phenomenal move.

Great move, and great club for developing players. 

Wish him all the best. 

Seems a decent move for him on the face of it. Their stadium is one of the newest in Austria and holds 32k. Good to see him pick up another club and stay abroad. I'm sure he had the opportunity to come back to play in Scotland. 

Good luck to the lad, he could have come back to some smaller club in Scotland like elgin, dumbarton, clyde or hibs 😜

Bungalow Bill

How does the first division of Austria compare to our top league? Haring wasn’t even playing at the level so must be a decent move for Irvine. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )
Unknown user
1 hour ago, Apache Mal said:

How does the first division of Austria compare to our top league? Haring wasn’t even playing at the level so must be a decent move for Irvine. 

Haring had dropped down from that level on the understanding he'd be released if they weren't promoted straight away, that's how we got him.

The Real Maroonblood
17 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

:rofl:

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Good luck to him.

Having spent a year learning German he's going to have to spend another year learning Austrian .....

:laugh2:

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, Apache Mal said:

Salzburg have absolutely dominated the league over the last ten or so years and they do well in the champions league most years. 

It’ll be a step up for him I reckon.

Good luck to him, hope he flourishes. 

58 minutes ago, RobboM said:

Good luck to him.

Having spent a year learning German he's going to have to spend another year learning Austrian .....

:lol:

I used to play sport with a lot of Germans and a couple of Austrians, and the Germans would only speak to the Austrians in English because they couldn't understand them :lol: 

5 hours ago, Apache Mal said:

Probably on a par with our league overall. Salzburg are a really good side and have had a number of players go on to become top players at big clubs. Erling Haaland being the stand out. They've gave a good account of themselves in the Champions League last few years and dare I say are probably better than Celtic or Rangers.

Outwith them its a bit of a mix. The Vienna big 2 are a shadow of their former selves but still the most supported clubs in the country. Sturm Graz are a big club who've diced with success and came 2nd last year. LASK Linz looked a club on the up. We played them in the late 2000's in a friendly, when I think they were in the 2nd tier. But season before last they got to the Europa knockouts and played Man United. Came 8th last season however.

Salzburg have had the financial backing to dominate. Outwith them, no other club seems particularly sustainable to mount a serious push. Sounds pretty familiar...

As for Klagenfurt, they've just come up last summer for the first time in their current guise. Although it seems they're the spiritual successor of FC Karnten who have played in Europe a few times.

13 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

The Worthersee sure trumps Grangemouth. If he secures a starting place he'll have landed on his feet.

32,000 seated capacity stadium hosting around 5,000 for club's home games.  Built to accommodate games at European Championships of 2008.  A good move.

Saint Jambo
4 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

32,000 seated capacity stadium hosting around 5,000 for club's home games.  Built to accommodate games at European Championships of 2008.  A good move.

Ah that explains it. I was trying to work out why a club with an average attendance of 4,500 last season had such a large modern stadium.

Kalamazoo Jambo
8 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Ah that explains it. I was trying to work out why a club with an average attendance of 4,500 last season had such a large modern stadium.

I just hope they’ve fixed their pitch problems from a few years ago…

344AD4FB-02E0-4BA0-88C3-E1917AF26FD2.jpeg

Bazzas right boot

You cannae beat a good klagenfurt to clear you out and remove any  bloatedness. 

Bazzas right boot
38 minutes ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

I just hope they’ve fixed their pitch problems from a few years ago…

344AD4FB-02E0-4BA0-88C3-E1917AF26FD2.jpeg

James forest sign for them as well?