Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )

wattie exploited

5 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

He always seems a bit of a slow thinker to me. Takes time he doesn’t have.

Yes he can play a killer pass but doesn’t really impose himself

Thats a good way of putting it. He sees things though but I think as hes so one footed he needs to move his body so it looks slower than he is in picking that pass

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Bongo 1874

• A_A wehatethehibs

• sadj

Guess The Crowd
12 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

The Irving we saw under Stendel, particularly in the home league win over Rangers, is exciting and dynamic. However the player we saw in the Championship last season is pedestrian and dull and certainly not worth breaking the bank for.

Good luck to him if he thinks he can make it elsewhere, I suspect he'll be back up in Scotland with 18 months at a smaller club than Hearts, no doubt regaling team mates and fans alike about how he once saw Victor Valdes in the changing rooms a la Jordan McGhee.  

It’s interesting to go back and read page 1 of this thread.

The view that he had a poor overall season seems widely shared - now. But back in January the weight of opinion was that he’d been good in the first half of the season. 

Absolute Scenes
1 hour ago, Last Laff said:

Perhaps he seen the likes of Martin, Damour, Osh, Whelan getting paid a lot lot more than he's been offered and doesn't feel valued enough?  Perhaps Stendel said he would earn more for it to be retracted?  Probably somewhere in the middle.

3 out of the 4 players mentioned weren’t even playing season past. He had the chance to step up and stake a claim for his place on the team and didn’t. He’s being paid fairly for his contribution 

1 minute ago, Guess The Crowd said:

The view that he had a poor overall season seems widely shared - now. But back in January the weight of opinion was that he’d been good in the first half of the season. 

The Irving and Halliday midfield we played in many games last season was not a good combination and left the team unbalanced. He (Irving) did have some good individual performances, but equally I think we have to be mindful of the level we were playing at.

2 minutes ago, Guess The Crowd said:

He was good in the first half of the season , whos arguing that? 

We were top of the league and flying at end of october the other year by end of the season we all agreed it had been a ****ing awful season

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

I'd be hugely surprised if that's the case.  No itk, don't know the lad, but know folk who do a little and he's a very centred and hard working kid from what I've heard.

What I've seen from Andy in the last few months is a lad who is completely bereft of motivation and guidance.

Let's stop blaming players for not improving and start seeing that our club haven't improved a single player for quite some years.  Hickey, OK, but how much would you say he developed between 16 and 18 really?  He'll now go from strength to strength.

Do not underestimate how much strong examples, coaching and culture play a part.  Personal responsibility is a real thing, but at the end of the day, if you make your club feel like a job, players will treat it like a job.

As I say, all just my opinion, but I'm a bit fed up of players, kids especially, being called out, slagged off etc, when it's the club's job to provide an environment for them to thrive.

We get a lad like Andy on our books with brilliant talent, just such a natural talent, and they've not a ****ing clue what to do with the boy.  Yeah, we'll bring in Halliday to help get the best out of him.  Aye, guid, well done.

I really wanted Irving to stay with us and take steps to being Scotland's next Barry Ferguson type midfielder.  Oh well, don't nurture him.  Great example for the next gen of kids too.

Not one to continually bash the club, like many do on here, think that would be fair to say on myself, but I'm pissed off about this and our inability to turn 16-18 yearold talent into real first team assets.  Joe Savage has a big job on his hands.

Well said, and I agree with you.

1 minute ago, Martin_T said:

The Irving and Halliday midfield we played in many games last season was not a good combination and left the team unbalanced. He (Irving) did have some good individual performances, but equally I think we have to be mindful of the level we were playing at.

Yep, but that's because they have the same asset - favour the left foot - and the same weaknesses - slow and can disappear from games. Only thing Halliday has over Irvine is that he is a bit stronger. They are too samey, they don't complement one another...

Just now, Spellczech said:

Yep, but that's because they have the same asset - favour the left foot - and the same weaknesses - slow and can disappear from games. Only thing Halliday has over Irvine is that he is a bit stronger. They are too samey, they don't complement one another...

Agreed, it's Irving btw.

OmiyaHearts
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

I'd be hugely surprised if that's the case.  No itk, don't know the lad, but know folk who do a little and he's a very centred and hard working kid from what I've heard.

What I've seen from Andy in the last few months is a lad who is completely bereft of motivation and guidance.

Let's stop blaming players for not improving and start seeing that our club haven't improved a single player for quite some years.  Hickey, OK, but how much would you say he developed between 16 and 18 really?  He'll now go from strength to strength.

Do not underestimate how much strong examples, coaching and culture play a part.  Personal responsibility is a real thing, but at the end of the day, if you make your club feel like a job, players will treat it like a job.

As I say, all just my opinion, but I'm a bit fed up of players, kids especially, being called out, slagged off etc, when it's the club's job to provide an environment for them to thrive.

We get a lad like Andy on our books with brilliant talent, just such a natural talent, and they've not a ****ing clue what to do with the boy.  Yeah, we'll bring in Halliday to help get the best out of him.  Aye, guid, well done.

I really wanted Irving to stay with us and take steps to being Scotland's next Barry Ferguson type midfielder.  Oh well, don't nurture him.  Great example for the next gen of kids too.

Not one to continually bash the club, like many do on here, think that would be fair to say on myself, but I'm pissed off about this and our inability to turn 16-18 yearold talent into real first team assets.  Joe Savage has a big job on his hands.

Well said. We've seen plenty of players with potential over the last 6 or 7 years but not seen (m)any realise that potential.

1 minute ago, Martin_T said:

Agreed, it's Irving btw.

Soz autocorrect is the bane of my life sometimes... the number of posts I have to go back and edit

Edited by Spellczech

A Shoreditch Heart
3 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Well said. We've seen plenty of players with potential over the last 6 or 7 years but not seen (m)any realise that potential.

this is the main problem - the academy just doesn't seem to be working and it's so frustrating 

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, sadj said:

He was good in the first half of the season , whos arguing that? 

We were top of the league and flying at end of october the other year by end of the season we all agreed it had been a ****ing awful season

And if anything it proves that while he can be a good player, he can't be relied on to be a good player, at least not yet.

46 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

What is the “going rate” for a young player post covid? Bet it’s less than it was 18 months ago. It’s a shame but that’s where the world is.

As regards the way young players have been treated by Neilson and how they then perform when given the chance I’d say look at Irving and contrast with Hendo.

Hendo had every right to be highly aggrieved he didn’t get more of a chance this season and take the huff but he himself and his attitude in the last few games grasped the chance and showed real hunger and determination 

For all his talent I didn’t see a lot of hunger/s determination in Irving this season.

Might be harsh but what I saw.

Exactly the way I see it.

For some it's always a negative to use against the club. 

Still no idea really of what type of midfielder he is. Is he a Neil Berry, Salvatori, McFarlane, Brellier type? Or a Steve Fulton, Gary Mackay passer type? Perhaps an attacking Paul Hartley, Colin Cameron type? Seems to be a little bit of everything without being particularly brilliant at any of it. Passable at best.

He has had a contract on the table for months. If he wanted to sign it, he would've done. It wouldn't surprise me if he just wanted to get out of Hearts. Perhaps down to a lack of enthusiasm and dull training from a poor coaching set-up and wants to learn something new somewhere else. Maybe he feels he can progress elsewhere, as long as he's away from the club.. He is like a lot of players we've signed or brought into the team over the last few years....decent at first then falls away. I've said for months, he is very replaceable if Hearts don't have an actual distinct role for him. (first paragraph)

Anyone could come in and be used as an auxiliary midfielder who can be "fitted in" as and when needed. If the board or management team are still chasing him to sign then more fool them. He'll take every advantage he can. Hopefully he goes, and when it all turns sour for him he'll be back in Scotland playing out his career with a Dunfermline/Raith/Livingston type club wondering where it all went wrong.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
28 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Soz autocorrect is the bane of my life sometimes... the number of posts I have to go back and edit

Edited 17 minutes ago by Spellczech

Brilliant :lol:

CloustonHMFC

Past caring now. No one really knows what he's been offered and what his agent is looking for but what I do know is that while my preferred option would be to keep him, he hasn't given enough for us to push the boat out for him.

KyleLafferty

For People moaning about the academy, how many players do you think we can bring through every season? I think in the last 5-6 years we’ve brought through a decent amount considering their ability. 5-6 years ago we started from scratch again people need to realise that. I also think the club can only create an environment for these young players to thrive, but bar the odd one, I don’t think many young Scottish players have the right mentality. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Guess The Crowd said:

I haven’t ever commented much on Irving as I have always been a bit meh about him. 

Put it this way, I was much more excited when Cochrane first came into the team than Irving.

I think we have (well Levein primarily) mismanaged Cochrane much more than Irving - the amount of opportunities Irving had in comparison, especially this season in a lower league, I really don’t think he kicked on at all. But I don’t think we can blame Neilson for that.

Again, I point out the impact of Hendo with relatively limited game time at the end of the season.

4 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Maybe its the players fault

Maybe they have a big ego

Maybe they are offered more than most clubs would offer young players, but they get greedy

Maybee....

Maybe it’s because I have no trust in anyone involved with our football team. And I recon I’m far from being the only one. You know I not only come up with potential problems but I bring solutions to the table and it frightens me how good I am at most of the time if not all of the time. Remember I am a legend in my own mind.

Edited by mitch41

Diadora Van Basten

44 pages and we still don’t know if the club low balled him or if the player has his head turned.

4 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

44 pages and we still don’t know if the club low balled him or if the player has his head turned.

We do. We very much do. He was low balled and only after that happened and after he was on the wrong end of some poor treatment has he reluctantly looked elsewhere.
He is heartbroken about it all and would have accepted way below his market rate to stay at Hearts. 

Sounds like another Hickey to me but without the transfer value which really should tell him something.

1 minute ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

The question must be how is the situation being handled AND who is the person who is negotiating with the player AND is the lack of a deal all about money, length of contract AND so on. Obviously this money Hearts would be due is holding up Irving moving on so if Neilson is so adamant that Irving isn’t worth trying to keep just let the lad go as long it isn’t to a Scottish club.

There are a LOT of people who seem to know exactly what has happened with regards to his contract situation. Which is really interesting considering how little info is coming out if tynecastle these days with regards signings 

1 minute ago, brux said:

There are a LOT of people who seem to know exactly what has happened with regards to his contract situation. Which is really interesting considering how little info is coming out if tynecastle these days with regards signings 

He's a local boy, with a wee brother, friends, wider family all in and around Edinburgh.  Not saying anything on here is true, but it doesn't seem farfetched that he'd mention in confidence something and a bit of whispers reach here, Chinese or not.

Edited by TheBigO

4 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

We do. We very much do. He was low balled and only after that happened and after he was on the wrong end of some poor treatment has he reluctantly looked elsewhere.
He is heartbroken about it all and would have accepted way below his market rate to stay at Hearts. 

Marvellous,isn't it! 

Irving is a young Hearts supporter from a multi-generational Hearts supporting family. His lifetime ambition is to play for Hearts. He is a product of our academy who showed promising talent.  Last year, when the entire team was playing awful football, under a manager who was widely criticised for his poor tactics and poor team selection, Irving didn't set the world on fire.  And during that period he couldn't get a straight answer from the Club as to their intentions regarding him or his contract. 

This matter has been badly handled and it isn't Irving's fault.  

6 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

He's a local boy, with a wee brother, friends, wider family all in and around Edinburgh.  Not saying anything on here is true, but it doesn't seem farfetched that he'd mention in confidence something and a bit of whispers reach here, Chinese or not.

I get that he is local, just can't see him blabbering his mouth off about how much wages he gets paid and how much he is being offered.

2 minutes ago, brux said:

I get that he is local, just can't see him blabbering his mouth off about how much wages he gets paid and how much he is being offered.

Yeah I don't mean he's giving detail. but for example his brother would know if he wasn't happy with the wages offered.  His brother's mate says "hey what's happening with Andy" "ach think they've lowballed him, mate".

"Was speaking to Andy's wee brother, saying Hearts have lowballed".......................... "I'm ITK on this, Hearts offered him £20 and a free pie but he has to wash his own kit".

You know.  Not impossible is all.  We all like to show off if we think we have inside info, even if it's eff all, the person who tells us makes it sound like its legit, then you do, then he does... bla bla

20 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

Why do you think the club were low balling him? 

13 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah I don't mean he's giving detail. but for example his brother would know if he wasn't happy with the wages offered.  His brother's mate says "hey what's happening with Andy" "ach think they've lowballed him, mate".

"Was speaking to Andy's wee brother, saying Hearts have lowballed".......................... "I'm ITK on this, Hearts offered him £20 and a free pie but he has to wash his own kit".

You know.  Not impossible is all.  We all like to show off if we think we have inside info, even if it's eff all, the person who tells us makes it sound like its legit, then you do, then he does... bla bla

Yeah I see what you mean. I'm not getting that vibe though, the vibe I'm getting on here is an excuse to boot the club.  I'd be surprised if he is here in a weeks time and I'd not be surprised if he ends up with more wages than we could pay too.

Edit:

I do have respect for anyone who had the balls to publish ITK info on here however.  I was once ITK about spiraling costs and a delay to our new stand and I got slaughtered when I posted it, I was proven correct in time but lesson learned!

Edited by brux

Not saying it's true but why can't the club "low ball" him ? They only pay what they think he is worth or offer a contract to get a development fee. We are under no obligation to give anyone big contracts, nevermind one who is a bit hit and miss.

5 minutes ago, brux said:

Yeah I see what you mean. I'm not getting that vibe though, the vibe I'm getting on here is an excuse to boot the club.  I'd be surprised if he is here in a weeks time and I'd not be surprised if he ends up with more wages than we could pay too.

Edit:

I do have respect for anyone who had the balls to publish ITK info on here however.  I was once ITK about spiraling costs and a delay to our new stand and I got slaughtered when I posted it, I was proven correct in time but lesson learned!

Hey man, similar story, I used to get lots of inside info out of the club, posted bits on here then retreated due to abuse!  Still get the odd 3rd hand stuff, but always very wary!

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Hey man, similar story, I used to get lots of inside info out of the club, posted bits on here then retreated due to abuse!  Still get the odd 3rd hand stuff, but always very wary!

Keep it to yourself, but pm me 😜

I don't get anything.

kingantti1874

You know I think Irving has the raw talent to really do something, but he’s had plenty of opportunity to set the world on fire - to go dominate this team and make himself indispensable.  If he thinks he’s worth 3/4K per week then he has absolutely had the opportunity to secure it and for me has he really done that? 

If he feels hurt that we have low balled him in comparison to some of the other duds we have at hearts then I understand that,  in reality its a poor arguement but I can say why it’s annoying

Andy Irving needs to ask himself has he done enough to warrant the wage he wants, for me talented as he is I’ve never seen him leave everything he has on the pitch.  

If we are offering £1k per week then he has done enough to warrant more than that and has every right to walk, if he wants £3k per week then no I don’t think he’s done enough (in terms of effort if not ability) 

Diadora Van Basten
9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

You know I think Irving has the raw talent to really do something, but he’s had plenty of opportunity to set the world on fire - to go dominate this team and make himself indispensable.  If he thinks he’s worth 3/4K per week then he has absolutely had the opportunity to secure it and for me has he really done that? 

If he feels hurt that we have low balled him in comparison to some of the other duds we have at hearts then I understand that,  in reality its a poor arguement but I can say why it’s annoying

Andy Irving needs to ask himself has he done enough to warrant the wage he wants, for me talented as he is I’ve never seen him leave everything he has on the pitch.  

If we are offering £1k per week then he has done enough to warrant more than that and has every right to walk, if he wants £3k per week then no I don’t think he’s done enough (in terms of effort if not ability) 

How much would you pay Andu Halliday?

11 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

3-4K per week 😄. He was on £495 per week basic last year. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

He'll only get that wage down south. 

Part of the problem could be that we did have a high basic wage structure and shifted to lower wages with bonuses, so it is possible players were offered less at renewal time. Doubt Irving falls into that category though. Maybe he saw players getting larger basic wages and wants the same, but if we've changed the structure since those days there's not much we can do. 

kingantti1874
11 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

How much would you pay Andu Halliday?

About the same as Andy Irving 

14 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

From what I've heard, he has been offered a small fraction of the number you quoted, and that neither Savage nor RN are even talking to the lad or his agents.  What kind of way is that to treat a loyal employee?  Savage and Neilson are clearly lacking in motivational skills or basic management skills.

When you consider the money that has been wasted in recent years, this is an odd time to be squabbling over peanuts.  And make no mistake, we're talking about peanuts. 

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, buzzbomb said:

which is absolutely pish. Not worth getting out of bed for. 

I’d say Andy Irving should be on maybe £1- 1.5k basic but heavily incentivised up to £2k with a promise of further negotiations if he delivers

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

which is absolutely pish. Not worth getting out of bed for. 

I’d say Andy Irving should be on maybe £1- 1.5k basic but heavily incentivised up to £2k with a promise of further negotiations if he delivers

If you were in charge of these negotiations instead of Savage and RN, the matter would have been settled months ago.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Maple Leaf said:

From what I've heard, he has been offered a small fraction of the number you quoted, and that neither Savage nor RN are even talking to the lad or his agents.  What kind of way is that to treat a loyal employee?  Savage and Neilson are clearly lacking in motivational skills or basic management skills.

When you consider the money that has been wasted in recent years, this is an odd time to be squabbling over peanuts.  And make no mistake, we're talking about peanuts. 

and if that is the case that’s disappointing- I haven’t heard anything and don’t know anything

My only point here is that for all of his talent Andy Irving certainly hasn’t done enough to make himself indispensable - that for me is disappointing. He isn’t alone but never had the view that he gives 100% 

kingantti1874
Just now, Maple Leaf said:

If you were in charge of these negotiations instead of Savage and RN, the matter would have been settled months ago.

yeah and if that’s the case then that is poor from the club. 

4 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Why are they treating a loyal employee like that? 

3 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Agreed, it just doesn’t make sense when you consider Irving’s development at the club and his potential. And to think we have Damour probably earning more than Irving wants and contributing nothing.

7 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Why are they treating a loyal employee like that? 

Good question, and I don't know the answer.  But it is not because Irving is making unreasonable demands.

alwaysthereinspirit
4 hours ago, Last Laff said:

I hope it comes out in the end but probably swept under the carpet.

So much aggression in your post, no need. 

Aggression? I’ll show you aggression. 😛

Central Belt 1874
32 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Irving isint worth a medium - high salary at the club. If what you are suggesting is accurate, it appears the club think that as well. 

The sooner this saga is over the better. Preferably with Irving at another club. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )