Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )

wattie exploited

13 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Irving isint worth a medium - high salary at the club. If what you are suggesting is accurate, it appears the club think that as well. 

The sooner this saga is over the better. Preferably with Irving at another club. 

Fair enough.  Could you put a number on what you think is a medium - high salary?

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Bongo 1874

• A_A wehatethehibs

• sadj

Central Belt 1874
27 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Fair enough.  Could you put a number on what you think is a medium - high salary?

Going on Kickback figures.....

3-4k plus per week would be getting into the high side.

For Hearts, 5k plus per week would be in the high bracket, going on the Budge era. I would be disappointed if there were more than 5 regular 1st team players from the season just finished that were earning that kind of salary. 

It's not like players salaries are advertised. If Irving isint being offered what he wants I can only assume that's because the first team coaches dont rate him highly enough, dont think he will be a key, regular starter and does not have a long term sell on value. 

Is there any chat of other clubs being interested in him?

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

Good question, and I don't know the answer.  But it is not because Irving is making unreasonable demands.

I'm not getting involved in any of the know debates with anyone, but what Maple Leaf is saying is completely in keeping with the snippets I hear from the Academy.

Guest ToqueJambo

Irving is pretty unproven in the Premiership. We certainly shouldn't be breaking the bank for him, especially when him leaving will get us a decent sum. We will have offered him the chunk of our overall budget we think he's worth going by who else we have in the squad. Or at this time we may want to get the 200-300 grand for him to pay for someone like Campbell from Well if we get the chance. I hope he stays but if money is what matters most to him then he can't complain when we make decisions about him based on money as well.

Edited by ToqueJambo

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Irving is pretty unproven in the Premiership. We certainly shouldn't be breaking the bank for him, especially when him leaving will get us a decent sum. We will have offered him the chunk of our overall budget we think he's worth going by who else we have in the squad. Or at this time we may want to get the 200-300 grand for him to pay for someone like Campbell from Well if we get the chance. I hope he stays but if money is what matters most to him then he can't complain when we make decisions about him based on money as well.

We aren’t paying that for Campbell🤣

30 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

For Hearts, 5k plus per week would be in the high bracket, going on the Budge era. I would be disappointed if there were more than 5 regular 1st team players from the season just finished that were earning that kind of salary. 

It's not like players salaries are advertised. If Irving isint being offered what he wants I can only assume that's because the first team coaches dont rate him highly enough, dont think he will be a key, regular starter and does not have a long term sell on value. 

You'll be pleased to hear that the 3-4k per week is much, much higher than any number that has been suggested by either side.  That's why this whole thing has irritated me.  I happen to think that Irving is an asset to the Club and I'd hoped he'd be signed by now.

As for your last question, I'll give you my personal opinion: Andy Irving, a lifelong Hearts supporter, will be playing football next season, with a contract that he's happy about, but it won't be for Hearts.

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

It's not like players salaries are advertised. If Irving isint being offered what he wants I can only assume that's because the first team coaches don’t rate him highly enough, dont think he will be a key, regular starter and does not have a long term sell on value. 

Not necessarily. If he came in looking for say 7500 a week it then has nothing to do now with what coaches think of him. If he prices himself out off Hearts market then Hearts should not be ridiculed on here. Not saying Irving did that but without facts and actual numbers I’m bad mouthing no side on this one.

Not even sure what the issue here is.

No club bigger than Hearts will sign Irving as it is. He is so overrated it is ridiculous.

Scottish Championship within the year.

Edited by i8hibsh

4 hours ago, 77Mackay77 said:

We do. We very much do. He was low balled and only after that happened and after he was on the wrong end of some poor treatment has he reluctantly looked elsewhere.
He is heartbroken about it all and would have accepted way below his market rate to stay at Hearts. 

Whats his market rate 🤔

Jean Louis Valois

I agree that he is no where near the finished article, but he shouldn't be leaving Hearts now. Needs a couple of seasons to see how he progresses. I think its a shame how this has played out, especially with him being a Hearts supporter himself.

alwaysthereinspirit
12 minutes ago, Jean Louis Valois said:

I agree that he is no where near the finished article, but he shouldn't be leaving Hearts now. Needs a couple of seasons to see how he progresses. I think its a shame how this has played out, especially with him being a Hearts supporter himself.

How has it played out?

We’ve heard nothing from any side. It’s all conjecture right now on here. 

I am guessing the club (RN) aren't fussed about him moving on so have offered him exactly enough to qualify for compensation.

Callum Paterson is a billion times the player Irving is and look what has happened to him. Moved to mighty Cardiff and now just been relegated with Wednesday.

In what ****ing reality or planet does Irving think he can **** us about with signing a new contract. The boy will never make it past Hearts. It is a big ruthless world outside our fluffy bunny, my little pony world of Care Bears he has now at Hearts.

5 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Marvellous,isn't it! 

Irving is a young Hearts supporter from a multi-generational Hearts supporting family. His lifetime ambition is to play for Hearts. He is a product of our academy who showed promising talent.  Last year, when the entire team was playing awful football, under a manager who was widely criticised for his poor tactics and poor team selection, Irving didn't set the world on fire.  And during that period he couldn't get a straight answer from the Club as to their intentions regarding him or his contract. 

This matter has been badly handled and it isn't Irving's fault.  

Maybe, but he isn’t good enough so pretty appropriate that we all move on. 

4 hours ago, buzzbomb said:

3-4K per week 😄. He was on £495 per week basic last year. 

Would be surprised at that because it’s a good bit less than many of the other academy graduates who are close to the first team but not in it eg Cochrane, Smith, Logan etc. 

Guest ToqueJambo
15 minutes ago, Glottis said:

I am guessing the club (RN) aren't fussed about him moving on so have offered him exactly enough to qualify for compensation.

I think we want him and are willing to pay him more money but maybe not what he thinks he's worth. Would we buy him for 200-300 grand which is kind of what it comes down to? Probably not. Could we adequately replace him for that amount? Definitely as right now he's still no more than a promising talent. Will anyone else stump up the cash for him is the question. He should sign a new contract and take advantage of the opportunity at Hearts to develop a bit more. If he's as good as maybe he thinks he is then he'll get his move later like other players do at 23-25 or so.

4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

From what I've heard, he has been offered a small fraction of the number you quoted, and that neither Savage nor RN are even talking to the lad or his agents.  What kind of way is that to treat a loyal employee?  Savage and Neilson are clearly lacking in motivational skills or basic management skills.

When you consider the money that has been wasted in recent years, this is an odd time to be squabbling over peanuts.  And make no mistake, we're talking about peanuts. 

Nonsense. Good management is making sure you pay employees what you think  they are worth based on market conditions. 

57 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

No club bigger than Hearts will sign Irving as it is. He is so overrated it is ridiculous.

👏 Not sure he is even at that level. If he was as good as some on here think surely he would have been in Championship team of the year given he plays for the club that smooshed the league. As it was he couldn’t get a regular game for us especially at end of season when we turned in most of our best performances. No coincidence that the intensity  of our play stepped up a gear or two when he was left out. 

5 hours ago, 77Mackay77 said:

We do. We very much do. He was low balled and only after that happened and after he was on the wrong end of some poor treatment has he reluctantly looked elsewhere.
He is heartbroken about it all and would have accepted way below his market rate to stay at Hearts. 

Who is his agent?

7 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Nonsense. Good management is making sure you pay employees what you think  they are worth based on market conditions. 

That's one aspect of good management to be sure.  I hope that RN  et al apply that good management to the other contracts they'll be offering, which should bring an end to the long list if duds we've signed.

In Irving's case, it's all water under the bridge, imo.

HillmanHearts
23 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

We have spent obscene amounts of money on pish.

We have a home grown prospect who has a big chance of being really decent and we cant stretch to a few hundred quid or so extra ?

Good management could make Irving a real asset for Hearts.

Edited by HillmanHearts
Grammar

Cut The Crap

Overrated in my book. Can understand if the club feels it’s time to take the development fee and run.

12 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

That's one aspect of good management to be sure.  I hope that RN  et al apply that good management to the other contracts they'll be offering, which should bring an end to the long list if duds we've signed.

In Irving's case, it's all water under the bridge, imo.

Agreed, hope they do. I suspect the discovery that after five years things need to be done differently has been clearly explained to Neilson and Savage. Probably the reason we are taking our time re signings. 
Re Irving the support is pretty evenly divided as to his worth so I think a parting of the ways probably is best course. 

5 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

We have a home grown prospect who has a big chance of being really decent and we cant stretch to a few hundred quid or so extra ?

Depends on your view of his potential. Personally I don’t think we should spend a lot of time or money on a one-paced, slow midfielder who has a wand of a left foot and doesn’t even know his right foot exists. Mesut  Ozil was a one of a kind with those abilities who made it really big. Generally it’s not the type of skill set I’d like in my team. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

Or we know we can do better, defensively inept 

3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Think you are bang on the money. Wish him well, but unfortunately he is nowhere near good enough.

alwaysthereinspirit
3 hours ago, HillmanHearts said:

We have a home grown prospect who has a big chance of being really decent and we cant stretch to a few hundred quid or so extra ?

Does anyone know what he’s looking for compared to what we’ve offered?

Few hundred quid is not two hundred but at least three. So 3 hundred a week over 52 weeks for say 3 years? He’s rumored on here to be making a 1000 a week now. 
I’d love a 30% raise. Also you said extra. So I’m assuming you meant extra on top of what raise we already offered that hasn’t been accepted so far. Maybe one day we’ll all get the real story. I won’t hold my breath.

professorfate

I don’t get the hype over this guy he has a few nice touches but looked average in a pish league. I hope he doesn’t accept a new contract we can do better than him.

Unknown user
11 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

From what I've heard, he has been offered a small fraction of the number you quoted, and that neither Savage nor RN are even talking to the lad or his agents.  What kind of way is that to treat a loyal employee?  Savage and Neilson are clearly lacking in motivational skills or basic management skills.

When you consider the money that has been wasted in recent years, this is an odd time to be squabbling over peanuts.  And make no mistake, we're talking about peanuts. 

Maybe they don't want him but want to ensure a fee, maybe he's been using an offer as leverage and we're calling his bluff. 

We really have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, what's been said or done, and I'll bet Andy's brother's version is very different from Neilson's brother's version

A_A wehatethehibs
7 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Few hundred quid is not two hundred but at least three. So 3 hundred a week over 52 weeks for say 3 years? He’s rumored on here to be making a 1000 a week now. 
I’d love a 30% raise. Also you said extra. So I’m assuming you meant extra on top of what raise we already offered that hasn’t been accepted so far. Maybe one day we’ll all get the real story. I won’t hold my breath.

No, nobody knows and anyone professing to know anything is lying. 

I think basically from what I’ve read over this whole “saga” is he was wanting money “more befitting of a first team player” appears to be the recurring turn of phrase his agent would have passed on to the press and then filters through on this thread. 

So in other words he wants the same 2 or 3ish grand a week that Haring, Lee, Halliday and Damour are all probably on. - and that McEneff was given right in the middle of Andys contract talks which tells you a lot. 

Not totally unreasonable- if he were actually a reliable consistent performer. Which he isn’t. A fully fit Haring you know you’ll get 7/10 minimum and when on form, the best deep lying playmaker in Scotland outside the old firm. Halliday you know you’ll get a 6/10 “did a job, experienced, worked hard, physically battled” minimum, Lee chipped in with 10 assists in only about 12 games or whatever he played so he earned his. Damour obviously a flop. Mceneff looks a pretty competitive, super fit lad that started to show some real flashes and we’re looking forward to seeing him next season. But Irving? Wildly inconsistent with 2 or 3 8/10 passing displays against Raith and Alloa iirc but also several 3/10 no shows such as Ayr, Raith at home, QoS, Alloa in the league cup etc. The other thing he was rumoured to want is a guarantee of games which is just laughable looking at his last 2 years worth of performances for us which overall picture fall well well short of Hearts standards. 

So in summary he appears to think he is better than Hearts and will get £2k a week to go and sign in what’s rumoured to be German division 2 or 3 or something. Good luck to him there and subsequently back at Raith or Dunfermline 2 years later having played about 10 games in 2 seasons, regretting ever leaving Hearts. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

hmfc_liam06
11 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Would be surprised at that because it’s a good bit less than many of the other academy graduates who are close to the first team but not in it eg Cochrane, Smith, Logan etc. 

Another figure to throw in the mixer.

So many ITK'ers on this thread, all with different stories :lol:

23 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

No, nobody knows and anyone professing to know anything is lying. 

I think basically from what I’ve read over this whole “saga” is he was wanting money “more befitting of a first team player” appears to be the recurring turn of phrase his agent would have passed on to the press and then filters through on this thread. 

So in other words he wants the same 2 or 3ish grand a week that Haring, Lee, Halliday and Damour are all probably on. - and that McEneff was given right in the middle of Andys contract talks which tells you a lot. 

Not totally unreasonable- if he were actually a reliable consistent performer. Which he isn’t. A fully fit Haring you know you’ll get 7/10 minimum and when on form, the best deep lying playmaker in Scotland outside the old firm. Halliday you know you’ll get a 6/10 “did a job, experienced, worked hard, physically battled” minimum, Lee chipped in with 10 assists in only about 12 games or whatever he played so he earned his. Damour obviously a flop. Mceneff looks a pretty competitive, super fit lad that started to show some real flashes and we’re looking forward to seeing him next season. But Irving? Wildly inconsistent with 2 or 3 8/10 passing displays against Raith and Alloa iirc but also several 3/10 no shows such as Ayr, Raith at home, QoS, Alloa in the league cup etc. The other thing he was rumoured to want is a guarantee of games which is just laughable looking at his last 2 years worth of performances for us which overall picture fall well well short of Hearts standards. 

So in summary he appears to think he is better than Hearts and will get £2k a week to go and sign in what’s rumoured to be German division 2 or 3 or something. Good luck to him there and subsequently back at Raith or Dunfermline 2 years later having played about 10 games in 2 seasons, regretting ever leaving Hearts. 

Completely agree. 

7 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

He is not on £1k now, he has been offered £1k and of course it is not a one year deal so if he signed it he would be on that for at least the next 3 years.

He wanted and was willing to accept a lot less than he is getting offered from elsewhere to stay at Hearts. 

Have any of the “he’s not good enough” brigade stopped to consider the fact that his performance levels dropped once the club low balled him and Neilson started being a bit of an ar8e with him?! I think at times we all forget how young many footballers are.

He is definitely not playing the big man and demanding big wages. I’ve said it before but the boy is heartbroken by what has happened. 

10 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Depends on your view of his potential. Personally I don’t think we should spend a lot of time or money on a one-paced, slow midfielder who has a wand of a left foot and doesn’t even know his right foot exists. Mesut  Ozil was a one of a kind with those abilities who made it really big. Generally it’s not the type of skill set I’d like in my team. 

Said that yesterday , anyone who watched him last season will have seen the tumes he lost the ball or possession for the team because he couldn’t get round on to his wrong foot. 

Potential there but he could easily improve the wrong foot to a level that makes him a very attractive prospect for teams. I don’t think he is there yet. 

From comments you see on here, we do seem to under-value our most promising youngsters but are happy to pay average tradesmen a lot more.

I thought Hickey was well worth £5,000 a week and although I haven't seen as much of Irving, I'm sure he'd be worth at least half of that.

HillmanHearts
3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Said that yesterday , anyone who watched him last season will have seen the tumes he lost the ball or possession for the team because he couldn’t get round on to his wrong foot. 

Potential there but he could easily improve the wrong foot to a level that makes him a very attractive prospect for teams. I don’t think he is there yet. 

There have been numerous great players over the years who were very one footed. But I agree he's not the finished article yet. The defensive side of his game ,for a deep lying midfielder, needs work and he needs to impose himself more. But these things come with coaching, aplication and maturity. He's got great basic skills imo.

10 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

He is not on £1k now, he has been offered £1k and of course it is not a one year deal so if he signed it he would be on that for at least the next 3 years.

He wanted and was willing to accept a lot less than he is getting offered from elsewhere to stay at Hearts. 

Have any of the “he’s not good enough” brigade stopped to consider the fact that his performance levels dropped once the club low balled him and Neilson started being a bit of an ar8e with him?! I think at times we all forget how young many footballers are.

He is definitely not playing the big man and demanding big wages. I’ve said it before but the boy is heartbroken by what has happened. 

If he has been offered 1k it's because that's what the club think he is worth. The club can't afford to give out higher paying contracts just because that's what the player wants.

The Treasurer
17 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

As you seem to know his current salary and what he's been offered, I take it you also know which club has offered him more. Or are you just picking random figures like all the other ITK posters 

23 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

Maybe Neilson doesn’t rate him. The club have low balled him for a reason. Personally I’d like him to stay. It will be interesting to see how he gets on in his career. 

6 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

There have been numerous great players over the years who were very one footed. But I agree he's not the finished article yet. The defensive side of his game ,for a deep lying midfielder, needs work and he needs to impose himself more. But these things come with coaching, aplication and maturity. He's got great basic skills imo.

Basic skills

Cant track back

Cant tackle

loses possession very easily - either by being pushed off the ball or because he needs a year to get on his good foot

Has a cracker of a left foot

can read the game and pick a pass

Needs to get round on his good foot to pick said pass therefore can look slow and ponderous

Over the years - the game is different now you need some sort of basic ability with your wrong foot. Said yesterday if that was me id be out there everyday working on it as that would make me an incredibly valuable asset. You don’t need coached to put time in yourself outside of training to learn these things. He is also 21 doing those things are things that could easily have been improved by him before now.

If he stays fair enough , if he goes I won’t lose any sleep or be pissed at the club. I might be harsh but i firmly believe a lot of what a player can learn and achieve is down to them and I have my reasons for that thought process.

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Des Lynam said:

Maybe Neilson doesn’t rate him. The club have low balled him for a reason. Personally I’d like him to stay. It will be interesting to see how he gets on in his career. 

Stendel didn’t rate him either. Dropped him for Damour for the last 4 games after Hamilton 2-2 

31 minutes ago, 77Mackay77 said:

Arite Mr Irving.🙃

He might not be demanding big wages but maybe his agent is. 

As for considering his performance levels dropping. They were poor under Stendel for the same reason they were this season. Needing too much time on the ball because he only has one foot. Its not a hard concept. Once the team was struggling and not getting the same time on the ball he faded out of things or if a team got in our faces he struggled. I dont remember a good game after QoTS where he was superb. The Morton game summed up where he is at for me and I think he has potential to be far better but thats on him. This season was a dick for players but he still hasn’t shown enough with that potential even with that being a factor.

As for being willing to accept much less to stay at Hearts if thats the advice his agent or family are giving him , he seriously needs new advisors. If as you say he has been offered 1k a week and its multi year - go back say no worries 1k a week for a year if its important for him to be at Hearts. Then he has a year to push himself forward and get the reward he could be worth be that at us or another team. 

12 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

If the club have low balled him , Im 50/50 if he stays he needs to work on his weaker aspects and he could be a very valuable asset. 

1 minute ago, sadj said:

If the club have low balled him , Im 50/50 if he stays he needs to work on his weaker aspects and he could be a very valuable asset. 

I agree. I know I’ve mentioned a few times why we would low ball him but I think that’s important. The club obviously see things we aren’t privy to. Maybe he doesn’t work as hard as he should? Maybe they think he doesn’t have the mentality or temperament to control things in the middle of the park. It sounds harsh but I’m glad under Savage we aren’t chucking contracts out to everyone. 

upgotheheads
11 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

I agree. I know I’ve mentioned a few times why we would low ball him but I think that’s important. The club obviously see things we aren’t privy to. Maybe he doesn’t work as hard as he should? Maybe they think he doesn’t have the mentality or temperament to control things in the middle of the park. It sounds harsh but I’m glad under Savage we aren’t chucking contracts out to everyone. 

This is the thing we don't know, although there are folk on here who think they do🙂. On the subject of his mentality though, I don't think that's a problem, I've certainly noticed him shouting the odds at other players, or then again, maybe that's the problem.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )