Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )

wattie exploited

35 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Heard the same about numerous others on here. 

If we get him on a five year deal and he's average, folk like yourself will be the first moaning. 

😴😴😴😴😴😴

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Bongo 1874

• A_A wehatethehibs

• sadj

14 minutes ago, pablo said:

I haven't heard anyone claim Irving is the finished article. He's had about 30 games for us and of course he's going to have some poorer ones as he learns the game. But surely you seen enough of him, his reading of the game to make space for himself, his dig when it gets physical, his shooting from range and his excellent passing to realise he's got what it takes?

He's a cut above most of the academy graduates we've seen. Only Hickey looked better in my opinion.

I'll be gutted if he doesn't sign on again.

The only ones mentioning the “finished article” nonsense are our resident ‘experts’. 🙄

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, pablo said:

I haven't heard anyone claim Irving is the finished article. He's had about 30 games for us and of course he's going to have some poorer ones as he learns the game. But surely you seen enough of him, his reading of the game to make space for himself, his dig when it gets physical, his shooting from range and his excellent passing to realise he's got what it takes?

He's a cut above most of the academy graduates we've seen. Only Hickey looked better in my opinion.

I'll be gutted if he doesn't sign on again.

On this very thread someone claimed he would be part of a guaranteed top 3 midfield. 

Many think he should be automatic first pick as well. 

Hickey stood out like a sore thumb Tbh, a level above. 

Irving is decent, he has very good aspects like passing and I hope he improves to become more effective. 

He does not stand out enough or dominate games enough yet for me, and we've played some poor teams this season. 

Time will tell. 

22 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

On this very thread someone claimed he would be part of a guaranteed top 3 midfield. 

Irving is decent, he has very good aspects like passing and I hope he improves to become more effective. 

He does not stand out enough or dominate games enough yet for me, and we've played some poor teams this season. 

Time will tell. 

The uncertainty over the virus may work in our favour to seal a deal. 

31 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Time will tell. 

Maybe would help the lad if he had some decent midfielders beside him. 

A_A wehatethehibs
36 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

I think he and Halliday looked like they had early signs of a decent understanding vs Alloa. Halliday stayed quite close to him for most of the game and always seemed to know where each other was, seen some good communication. Early days but I think Halliday has clocked on to the fact that Irving is a natural talent and he seems to play better alongside him, seems to get more involved and has a bit extra zip, like he enjoys playing with him. A young talented lad can have that effect on a more experienced player. 10 years ago Andy Halliday was that talented 18 year old at Livi that won a move to Middlesborough. Hearts were in for him at that time iirc. 

Obviously, low level opposition, but still, just a wee sign I thought of them 2 forming an understanding.

That being said, we still need to sign 2x much much better quality midfielders to sustain a Premiership challenge, absolutely. Different types. You need 4 quality options in that position. 

I’d like to see a minimum 3 year deal. Although, I’d like to see the club push hard to get a 5 year deal sorted out. 

The lad has a lot of development to do, the Championship I don’t think can be compared to any of the English professional divisions, conference level maybe? So he’s got plenty of work ahead of him but I’d really like the club to get right behind him and for him to commit his future here. 

When we talk about the club making mistakes with long term contracts it’s because it’s the wrong type of player that gets them. I’d love to see us backing our best youngsters and giving them deals which give a vote of confidence to that youngsters talents. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Irving should look to David Turnbull for inspiration - signs a contract after breaking through (and then an extension after his injury) and still gets a decent move and a decent fee for his club.

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Definitely this. We've tried taking punts with long contracts for Damour, Martin and Oshaniwa. We should take a chance on a youngster now, even a 3 year deal with an extension option could be good but try to get a clause in there so we have a good chance of a fee. We've always been very fair with our youngsters so it would be good for one of them to trust we'll do the right thing by them as well.

Yup. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Tbh, I think Halliday has been our most consistent midfielder this season and is decent. 

Lee was a bit too similar and Haring has been poor this season. 

Just reading Hearts have offered him a deal,he has a counter offer which they hope to come to some agreement over,also in story Brandon out for season with a knee injury.

19 minutes ago, heartmussel said:

Just reading Hearts have offered him a deal,he has a counter offer which they hope to come to some agreement over,also in story Brandon out for season with a knee injury.

Hearts have offered Andy Irving a new deal and the player has responded with a counter offer as the two parties try to thrash out his Tynecastle future.

Stephen Kingsley was the latest to commit to the Championship leaders beyond the summer after Michael Smith did the same earlier in this month.

Promising midfielder Irving has been in fine form and smashed in a stunning opener in last weekend’s 3-1 win at Alloa.

Fans have been clamouring for the club to tie him down and boss Robbie Neilson is hopeful an agreement isn’t too far away.

He confirmed: “We’ve offered Andy a contract. He’s come back, there’s been a counter offer so we’ll go back again.

“We’d like to try to get that over the line. We’ve been talking for a number of weeks. Andy has been playing very well for us and we’d like to try and get him here for as long as possible.”

A_A wehatethehibs
9 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Hearts have offered Andy Irving a new deal and the player has responded with a counter offer as the two parties try to thrash out his Tynecastle future.

Stephen Kingsley was the latest to commit to the Championship leaders beyond the summer after Michael Smith did the same earlier in this month.

Promising midfielder Irving has been in fine form and smashed in a stunning opener in last weekend’s 3-1 win at Alloa.

Fans have been clamouring for the club to tie him down and boss Robbie Neilson is hopeful an agreement isn’t too far away.

He confirmed: “We’ve offered Andy a contract. He’s come back, there’s been a counter offer so we’ll go back again.

“We’d like to try to get that over the line. We’ve been talking for a number of weeks. Andy has been playing very well for us and we’d like to try and get him here for as long as possible.”

Reads to me like Neilson wants him tied down for 4-5 years like many fans do but he’s pushing for a shorter 2 years.

Sticking with my shout of 2 years with an option to extend / increase his wage within a certain time frame. 

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, CJGJ said:

If this was a random signing then I would be telling  him to bolt soon. 

Not a fan  of players who join us and are already looking at thier next move. 

Every player will have ambition but Irving to me just simply isn't good enough to be demanding anything from the team who has given him his break through and Tbh a team he's yet to establish himself at. 

Irving gets a lot of slack on here, if this was someone like Djoum folk on here would be going tonto calling him billy big bawz and all sorts. 

Irving has already waited imo for something better to come up, that hasn't happened and we are obviously his best offer. 

It feels like he's been forced to stay with us. 

Seems more and more like the sort that if the OF flash their knickers he'd be off quicker than Lafferty. 

Many will disagree because it's Irving and folk think he's a proper Hearts laddie etc. 

Gimme an H...
On 21/01/2021 at 08:27, Smith's right boot said:

I like Irving, he has a good range of passing and has been decent for us, some very good games sprinkled with poor games. 

Too many players get over hyped on here them just to fall away. The list is endless. Hope he's not another one. 

I'm far from convinced yet, if he's as good as some make on here he should be a stand out most games for us, he's not even been automatic first pick for us this season. 

That will change now Lee has gone and at the level we are at he'll get a run and he needs to show what he can do. 

I want him to stay, he has potential, but he's far from the finished article atm. 

No one is saying he's the finished article. He's only 20. For him to be a stand out at that age is special, especially at centre mid. He wasn't an automatic starter at first but he should have been. He should have been getting his game over Lee and/or Halliday. 

He's also got the physicality a lot of our recent breakthroughs haven't had. He's 6ft+ and strong. Got a bit of bite too. Add that to his passing ability and his shooting and you've got a massive prospect who should be given a 3 or 4 year deal. 

Gimme an H...
7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Every player will have ambition but Irving to me just simply isn't good enough to be demanding anything from the team who has given him his break through and Tbh a team he's yet to establish himself at. 

Irving gets a lot of slack on here, if this was someone like Djoum folk on here would be going tonto calling him billy big bawz and all sorts. 

Irving has already waited imo for something better to come up, that hasn't happened and we are obviously his best offer. 

Seems more and more like the sort that if the OF flash their knickers he'd be off quicker than Lafferty. 

Many will disagree because it's Irving and folk think he's a proper Hearts laddie etc. 

What, because he hasn't accepted our first contract offer? 🤣

That's how these things work. If he had accepted our first offer we'd be ****ing laughing. He and his agent knows he's a very good prospect and wants paid accordingly. You've no idea what our first offer was, it might have been pennies. 

Would you accept the first offer of a job contract regardless of what was actually offered? 

Berra than you
16 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

That's how these things work. If he had accepted our first offer we'd be ****ing laughing. He and his agent knows he's a very good prospect and wants paid accordingly. You've no idea what our first offer was, it might have been pennies. 

Would you accept the first offer of a job contract regardless of what was actually offered? 

This 100%. Also we don't know the conversations Robbie has had with Irving. Perhaps he's told him he will likely be a starter next season, and the offer doesn't reflect that. No point accepting an offer if it's undervalue. I know he's not the finished article but it's blatant that he's a player. Should be building the team around him 

A_A wehatethehibs
15 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

What SRB is saying is, how would the fans be reacting if this was Djoum turning down contract offers and “making us a counter offer” ? Remember when Djoum did exactly the same thing, fobbed off a load of offers, delayed talks but spun us along and then left on a free. 

Yet Irving gets a free pass with it and he’s within his rights? And the club is the one that’s in the wrong? 

Fact is he’d be getting absolute pelters for it and called a mercenary if he wasn’t a guid Hearts laddie.  Folk would be probably calling for him to be transfer listed and sold right now for whatever we can get as we’ve only got 8 days left to recoup any fee for him. 

16 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Neilson has not made him an automatic pick - many including me thinks he should have been.

Nobody is saying he is the finished article - but he has massive potential and that is why we need to get him into a 5 year contract so that in a couple of years he may well be the finished article, and we will get the benefit.

Not seen that said so confidently since Jordan McGhee.

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

As I said, because he's a young laddie and a ohm he gets a lot of slack. 

It's because he's a young player, yet to establish himself in a poor Hearts team and is not the finished article at all who's waited until the last minute to show any interest in extending his deal and who is now putting counter offers to us. 

If he was a proven international or even a proven top 6 spl player he'd have more standing. 

If this was some random, many would be saying he's not 100% committed etc, but as it's Irving it's OK. 

Won't be a popular opinion, but imo he's a decent youngster with potential, a player who is breaking through with us, Not the type of player who should be demanding anything from us as his contract nears the end. 

In all honesty it feels like he had bigger plans but they've fallen though. 

Neil Dongcaster

I’m reading Robbie’s interview as positive. There would appear to be a willingness on Irving’s part to stay.

I think we will see him sign in the next few weeks.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

What SRB is saying is, how would the fans be reacting if this was Djoum turning down contract offers and “making us a counter offer” ? Remember when Djoum did exactly the same thing, fobbed off a load of offers, delayed talks but spun us along and then left on a free. 

Yet Irving gets a free pass with it and he’s within his rights? And the club is the one that’s in the wrong? 

Fact is he’d be getting absolute pelters for it and called a mercenary if he wasn’t a guid Hearts laddie.  Folk would be probably calling for him to be transfer listed and sold right now for whatever we can get as we’ve only got 8 days left to recoup any fee for him. 

Correct. 100%

It is within his rights and players should do what's best for them

Djoum was also a proven top player at our level and a international who had no connection to us. 

Irving is the exact opposite but gets a free pass. 

Neil Dongcaster
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It's because he's a young player, yet to establish himself in a poor Hearts team and is not the finished article at all who's waited until the last minute to show any interest in extending his deal and who is now putting counter offers to us. 

If he was a proven international or even a proven top 6 spl player he'd have more standing. 

If this was some random, many would be saying he's not 100% committed etc, but as it's Irving it's OK. 

Won't be a popular opinion, but imo he's a decent youngster with potential, a player who is breaking through with us, Not the type of player who should be demanding anything from us as his contract nears the end. 

We have a history of offering established younger players pretty misery offers.

32 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hey SRB, you're usually one of the more sensible posters on here, but this suggests someone's taken over your account. Andy Irving is clearly a top player and one of the best prospects we've had in years. I'd say he's on a par with Paterson and Hickey and above the likes of Nicholson, King and Walker. If we told him to bolt we'd be doing one one of the most stupid things we've done in recent times. Getting him signed up for longer should be one of our main priorities.

28 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

It's normal to negotiate. That doesn't usually get played out in the media. The Naismith deal went back and forward a few times before it was agreed.

4 minutes ago, May one-six said:

Hey SRB, you're usually one of the more sensible posters on here, but this suggests someone's taken over your account. Andy Irving is clearly a top player and one of the best prospects we've had in years. I'd say he's on a par with Paterson and Hickey and above the likes of Nicholson, King and Walker. If we told him to bolt we'd be doing one one of the most stupid things we've done in recent times. Getting him signed up for longer should be one of our main priorities.

Best prospect since Jordan McGhee.

16 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I agree that Irving is not the finished article, which is great news as he still has the potential to improve considerably. However where I disagree with your analysis is around where he is at the moment. To my eyes he is already our best and most important centre midfielder. He's the guy that shows for the pass from defence and is the most positive in terms of trying to move the ball forward. This is his first senior contract and I don't hear him making ridiculous demands or mouthing off in the press and I hope and expect him to sign a new contract. 

Phil D. Corners
13 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I think he gets a free pass as he does more good then bad. 

I guess his standing can be debated. Hes not a full international, although he’s been in the U21 set up. His standing within the team is good, gaining plaudits and man of the match awards. 

Is it unfair for him to ask same wages as Damour, Haring, or Halliday on current form and trajectory. 

Gimme an H...
25 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The difference between Irving and Djoum is Djoum was in the papers every other week saying he wanted to leave and go elsewhere. He wanted somewhere bigger and better. We were also not likely to sell him on for good money hence seeing a return in our investment of a top contract offer. 

Irving is 20 year old, has all the attributes to make it if he keeps going the way he's going. He wants to stay, he wants paid to stay and with this one, if he keeps improving and he's lucky enough to avoid a bad injury, we're likely to sell him on for a very decent sum of money one day. 

If he’s after an extra £250 a week that’s £13k a year, however if he’s after say a grand a week it’s £52k. No idea what the young boy is on wage wise, but I’d imagine we’d have to pay more to replace him with someone older and less sell on value.

Gimme an H...
4 minutes ago, sac said:

If he’s after an extra £250 a week that’s £13k a year, however if he’s after say a grand a week it’s £52k. No idea what the young boy is on wage wise, but I’d imagine we’d have to pay more to replace him with someone older and less sell on value.

And with less current talent... 

8 minutes ago, sac said:

If he's after a "grand a week", which I'd imagine would be after tax, we'd have to offer him £78,000 per year. 

£52,000 per year would about £716 per week after tax. 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hearts kept him hanging then told him he wasn’t getting a contract until a last minute change of mind at the end of his last deal. I think it’s fair enough he takes his time and looks to see what’s out there. Regardless to clarify your last sentence, he is a proper hearts laddie from a proper season ticket holding hearts family. However this is his career and he needs to do what’s right for him. I think he’ll be with us for a wee while yet. 

Just now, Cruyff said:

If he's after a "grand a week", which I'd imagine would be after tax, we'd have to offer him £78,000 per year. 

£52,000 per year would about £716 per week after tax. 

As I said, I’m speculating as to what he might be after, but he offers more than Damour, Roberts & Frear combined. Not saying we should give in to his demands but I’d imagine some compromise will be agreed.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Hearts kept him hanging then told him he wasn’t getting a contract until a last minute change of mind at the end of his last deal. I think it’s fair enough he takes his time and looks to see what’s out there. Regardless to clarify your last sentence, he is a proper hearts laddie from a proper season ticket holding hearts family. However this is his career and he needs to do what’s right for him. I think he’ll be with us for a wee while yet. 

Agreed, but if this was a random player the tone of many would be different. 

7 minutes ago, sac said:

As I said, I’m speculating as to what he might be after, but he offers more than Damour, Roberts & Frear combined. Not saying we should give in to his demands but I’d imagine some compromise will be agreed.

I'd agree. I personally think he will be after a bit more than 1k a week as a first team player. Apparently there is a lot of interest in him, so we will have to make him a good offer.

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

You’ve just described every club and every set of fans. Should a young hearts supporting player get some slack, ****ing absolutely. Not sure where the bombshell is. 

Bazzas right boot
33 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

I think he gets a free pass as he does more good then bad. 

I guess his standing can be debated. Hes not a full international, although he’s been in the U21 set up. His standing within the team is good, gaining plaudits and man of the match awards. 

Is it unfair for him to ask same wages as Damour, Haring, or Halliday on current form and trajectory. 

Simple answer is yes. 

scott herbertson
12 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Good to hear that Dazo

He looks like a real prospect

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Dazo said:

You’ve just described every club and every set of fans. Should a young hearts supporting player get some slack, ****ing absolutely. Not sure where the bombshell is. 

Not saying he should be lambasted either, just pointing out the difference that some take. 

Djoum, a proven international, far better player than what Irving currently is with no ties to us takes his time - abuse, gtf etc. 

Irving, a phm, a decent lad with potential does the same, everyone wants to give him a cuddle. 

If I was being cynical, I'd say he had sniff of a bigger move but it hasn't materialised and now he's stuck with us. 

I don't really see your point though, Tosh.  You're probably right but what point are you making?

We should be having a go at the laddie?

I'm guessing you are neither his agent nor involved in the negotiations from Hearts' side.  So you don't know what is happening.  The dude wants the best deal he can get (look at Jamie Brandon, look at Soapy - you don't know what's round the corner).

Yeah people do moan about the likes of Djoum or whatever. Making that point makes it very much look like you are now having a go at Andy!  You see that right?

Making out he's only speaking to us because no-one else has come in for him....!  Really.  You know it works the other way, most of the time, right?  If he wanted away, his agent would be bringing in offers.  Obviously I don't know if that's been looked at on his behalf, but it certainly doesn't feel like that.  Hearts have history of not offering our own laddies their worth as compared to outside signings.  If Andy is trying to buck that trend a wee bit, fair play.

Gimme an H...

Not saying he should be lambasted either, just pointing out the difference that some take. 

Djoum, a proven international, far better player than what Irving currently is with no ties to us takes his time - abuse, gtf etc. 

Irving, a phm, a decent lad with potential does the same, everyone wants to give him a cuddle. 

If I was being cynical, I'd say he had sniff of a bigger move but it hasn't materialised and now he's stuck with us. 

As I mentioned above, the difference is that Djoum made no secret of the fact he wanted away and seen himself as bigger and better than Hearts. He was in the paper a few times saying as much. There was a distinct change in tune from him after the AFCON win. 

In the lads defence, he could be looking for guaranteed game time as opposed to more money, or both, which again might not be unreasonable, as long as they’re not too demanding.

Edited by sac
Spelling

Just now, sac said:

In the lads defence, he could be looking for guaranteed game time as opposed to more money, or both, which again might not be unreasonable, as long as their not too demanding

How many teams will guarantee a player game time?

23 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Was Robbie the coach then?

12 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Football fans are hypocrites so absolutely he’s being treated differently, I’m ok with that. I’d hazard a guess he has been ****ed about previously so it’s fair enough he had a look to see what’s out there. Maybe some of those who ****ed him about are no longer here so I’d imagine he is happier at the club. He is entitled to be happy at his work regardless of being a hearts supporter. 

Edited by Dazo

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Best prospect since Jordan McGhee.

It is clear to me that Irving is going follow Smith, Kingsley, GMS and get himself signed I’ve gone from 99% confident to 100% confident. There’s no way he is daft enough to leave Hearts first team to go and play in Middlesboroughs reserves because he thinks he’s Franco Baresi, then wind up at a corrugated iron shed in Dundee where his career highlight will be, he scored 1 goal against the massive club he could have been playing for for 3x the wage he’s now on. 

3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

How many teams will guarantee a player game time?

No idea, but maybe he just wants more than he’s been getting. Might be wrong but did Man U not have some agreement in the loans of Lettuce hands & Demi Mitchell about game time for their players?

5 minutes ago, sac said:

No idea, but maybe he just wants more than he’s been getting. Might be wrong but did Man U not have some agreement in the loans of Lettuce hands & Demi Mitchell about game time for their players?

I think it is different with a loan player though because they usually go out on loan to get games under their belt and to lower league teams where their chances of playing are greater.

It also is often linked to how much you have to pay for the player depending of the number of games played.  The more games played the less you pay is often the way.

To insist on this in a new contract is hard for the team because if a player is not delivering but you have to play them every week it wont go down well with the other players and it could impact on the results.

Edited by wavydavy

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Irving - signs for SK Austria Klagenfurt ( updated )