Loans - what are they good for?

Spellczech

Story on the BBC site about Chelsea's longest serving player leaving today after 10 years? Can you name him?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55675775

Also read a story about Federico Macheda yesterday - remember him? Another player who had a tonne of loans from a couple of different clubs and is only finally coming good at Panathinaikos.

Makes me wonder if loans actually help young players much at all? Have they helped our young players? Thinking the likes of Cochrane...

What players have actually proved themselves on a loan? Ryan Christie at Aberdeen is one... 

Edited by Spellczech

On a more serious not McGivern that was at Hibs (pasty albino looking lad) was a Man City player who played one game for them and had 6 years on loan spells before Hibs were daft enough to sign him. 

jamboinglasgow

The issue with the two English based players you listed is not that loan systems dont develop them, its the problem of the model of stock piling young players to sell rather than use that English clubs have been doing over the last 10 years.

So Chelsea at their peak had almost 40 players out on loan. Only a few would be with the hope of being first team players (see Mason Mount after a successful loan to Derby, or Tammy Abraham after successful loans to Bristol City and Aston Villa.) But the aim of the other loans is that young player does well at that club so the club buys them. Kevin De Bruyne was the most high profile version of this, signed had a few loans (did make a handful of first team apperances for half a season) then sold to Wolfsburg after a successful loan spell.) All of it done to exploit a loophole in FFP where signing fees for young players is not counted in your financial figures, but money received from selling them is.

David Beckham?  He got loaned out.   What's it good for?   Absolutely something.   Wighton got loaned out.  He needed a change of scenery.   It can help players become unstuck.    Relieves pressure, enables them to express themselves. 

Guest ToqueJambo
14 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Story on the BBC site about Chelsea's longest serving player leaving today after 10 years? Can you name him?

Also read a story about Federico Macheda yesterday - remember him? Another player who had a tonne of loans from a couple of different clubs and is only finally coming good at Panathinaikos.

Makes me wonder if loans actually help young players much at all? Have they helped our young players? Thinking the likes of Cochrane...

What players have actually proved themselves on a loan? Ryan Christie at Aberdeen is one... 

Craig Gordon is usually held up as the best example. Rudi Skacel was pretty good on loan though :) 

4 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

David Beckham?  He got loaned out.   What's it good for?   Absolutely something.   Wighton got loaned out.  He needed a change of scenery.   It can help players become unstuck.    Relieves pressure, enables them to express themselves. 

I agree but couldn’t resist the answer. 
But not multiple loans for years on end. I think they e become a much bigger thing for various reasons including no proper reserve leagues. 

7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Craig Gordon is usually held up as the best example. Rudi Skacel was pretty good on loan though :) 

:doh:I should have just laid those two out there ☺ 👍

19 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I agree but couldn’t resist the answer. 
But not multiple loans for years on end. I think they e become a much bigger thing for various reasons including no proper reserve leagues. 

I was answering the op, 👍.  Was joking myself.   

Multiple loans though.   That has to be a red flag when they get passed 23.   Unless they are recovering from injuries, with a view that the player will make the first team, eventually.   Its OK if you have the money to spend though.   I think an example for us might be Souttar, we could loan him out to get him gametime. 

Edited by HMFC01

Going back the op again.   I think that Chelsea Brazilian youth player might have had great potential but fell into the same category as most Brazilian players.   They struggle abroad unless they are at clubs that speak the language on a majority.   With a similar football playing culture.   Best of luck to him at Braga, I think he will transform quick.   They usually do well in Portugal or spain/Italy.  At 26 he's got time. 

J.T.F.Robertson
57 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Absolutely nothing. 
Huh.
Say it again. 

Some turn out to be a starr.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Drinkwater today, they’re clearing the decks.  Moses on loan to Spartak Moscow is the longest serving player now, been there kind of since 2012.

Pasquale for King

Chelsea have made money on all these loans apparently, UEFA brought in rules to limit it. These players have been badly advised and their careers have suffered due to that. 
https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/07/forever-a-loan-the-chelsea-players-trapped-in-the-loan-system/

Edited by Pasquale for King
More info

Loans out that worked for us and the player

Robbie Neilson - Qots I think

Jamie Macdonald - qots

Ryan McGowan - ayr/partick

Berra - Dundee

Andy Irving - berwick, falkirk

Cochrane - Dunf/Montrose

Not saying all worked out well for the other team but it got them all first team game time they'd otherwise not have had

Loans in - there's loads

Milinkvic

Fuller

Jummy Dunne

Peirerra

Skacel

Danny Wilson

Zeefuik

Footballfirst
10 hours ago, Swanyl said:

David Templeton came good after a loan to Stenhousemuir 

Temps was never on loan to Stenny. Hearts signed him from there as a 17 year old. 

He did go on loan to Raith while he was at Hearts though.

Edited by Footballfirst

21 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Temps was never on loan to Stenny. Hearts signed him from there as a 17 year old. 

He did go on loan to Raith while he was at Hearts though.

How many did we loan to raith around 12/13/14?

Walker, Prychynenko, Holt spring to mind 

Was David Smith or Sam Nicholson loaned?

Original point loans are good to give youngsters regular game time at a competitive level. It prepares players if done correctly for the transition to first team which we have lacked in recent years. 

Theyre abused when big clubs sign players for small fees to loan out and sell on at larger fees. 

Footballfirst
3 minutes ago, jambo19 said:

How many did we loan to raith around 12/13/14?

Walker, Prychynenko, Holt spring to mind 

Was David Smith or Sam Nicholson loaned?

Original point loans are good to give youngsters regular game time at a competitive level. It prepares players if done correctly for the transition to first team which we have lacked in recent years. 

Theyre abused when big clubs sign players for small fees to loan out and sell on at larger fees. 

David Smith also went to Raith around that time.  I don't recall any loans for Nicholson.