Our Best Midfield set up?

JamboAl

As other threads get waylaid I've started this thread for our FM enthusiasts to showcase their skills here and leave the transfers thread for ....transfer possibilities

Selkirkhmfc1874

If can back to his best Peter Haring defensive mid , Andy Iriving left centre mid, olly lee right centre mid and Steven Naismith attacking mid in a diamond shape with mackay steven wide left and ginnelly wide right

Two Berra's in centre, two Berra's either wing, that's a cracking midfield right there.

Remember you've got Berra's all over the defence and a couple of Berra's up top.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

Surely it depends on who we are playing ?

Shouldn't matter in the championship because we should be letting other teams worry about us

Mr Brightside

Three central midfield players is my preference.  Adefensive minded player Haring or Halliday. Creative player Irving or Lee. A dynamic box to box midfielder / ball winner, we don’t have one at the club at the moment.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Haring and Irving are our 2 best midfielders, but can't play just those two as they're not mobile enough, so Halliday or Naisy alongside Irving playing just in front of Haring, with Gino and GMS out wide.

Just now, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Haring and Irving are our 2 best midfielders, but can't play just those two as they're not mobile enough, so Halliday or Naisy alongside Irving playing just in front of Haring, with Gino and GMS out wide.

I’m sure Haring and Irving played together in at least one game and just got in each other’s way. I do think it’s a partnership that is worth pursuing though. If we’ve got pacey wingers to feed the ball to then, certainly in an attacking sense, shouldn’t matter too much. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Aye Haring and Irving as a 2 hasn't worked so far. Irving needs a real athlete next to him who can make up for his lack of pace and bite in midfield. I know he wasn't brilliant for us but the type I'm thinking is Joaquim Adao. Otherwise it's best we play with a 3 I think.

3 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Aye Haring and Irving as a 2 hasn't worked so far. Irving needs a real athlete next to him who can make up for his lack of pace and bite in midfield. I know he wasn't brilliant for us but the type I'm thinking is Joaquim Adao. Otherwise it's best we play with a 3 I think.

Yeah fair do’s. A poster on another thread  mentioned 3-5-2 as a formation he’d like to see. What do you think of that idea?

A_A wehatethehibs

Taken stick for this every time I post it but for me it only took 3 games after his return to see that Berra was not the same player. It is the same with Haring. I have seen enough of him to make up my mind.

He could not keep up against Dundee and looked slow, laboured and lumbering against Arbroath and Alloa. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for a few more games as I did with Berra but from what I’ve seen in his performances particularly against Dundee where he was yards off the pace, the writing is on the wall. Hope

he can prove it wrong. 

I think Haring or Irving with Halliday at the moment. Lee’s at his best right midfield or further forward in the 10.

We need a box to box midfielder with a bit of pace and energy.

Right now, 

Naisy Boyce

GMS Irving Haring Ginnelly 

Kingsley Berra Halkett Smith 

Gordon

27 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Right now, 

Naisy Boyce

Gordon

That’s the one for me!

2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

If can back to his best Peter Haring defensive mid , Andy Iriving left centre mid, olly lee right centre mid and Steven Naismith attacking mid in a diamond shape with mackay steven wide left and ginnelly wide right

3 at the back, no full backs or no striker?

The Wrinkly Ninja

Our management team have managed to recruit a midfield of individual players who should not be playing in the same side.......

Haring shouldn’t be in the same team as Halliday or Irving or Walker.

Irving shouldn’t play with Halliday, Haring, Lee or Walker.

Halliday shouldn’t play with Haring, Irving, Lee or Walker.

Lee shouldn’t play with Walker or Irving.

Irving shouldn’t play with Halliday, Haring, Lee or Walker.

Walker shouldn’t play without anybody.

That leaves Haring and Lee with Gino and GMS.

This is based on Haring being able to step up to previous performances without Irving and Halliday on the pitch all trying to do the same thing with the ball.

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Taken stick for this every time I post it but for me it only took 3 games after his return to see that Berra was not the same player. It is the same with Haring. I have seen enough of him to make up my mind.

He could not keep up against Dundee and looked slow, laboured and lumbering against Arbroath and Alloa. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for a few more games as I did with Berra but from what I’ve seen in his performances particularly against Dundee where he was yards off the pace, the writing is on the wall. Hope

he can prove it wrong. 

Thought Haring looked better when he actually first came back into the team a few months ago tbh. 

It's his recent performances especially at Dens where there is real cause for concern. 

He was badly off the pace in that game and it looked a bit ominous to me for the future, which would be a real shame because he is a very good player. 

2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Shouldn't matter in the championship because we should be letting other teams worry about us

We don’t just play in the championship though.

Selkirkhmfc1874
55 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

We don’t just play in the championship though.

Obviously if or when we get drawn against better teams in Scottish cup we'll have to change but with our resources compared to teams we playing in league we should be letting them worry about us

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Right now, 

Naisy Boyce

Gordon

I’d drop Berra - we then have a choice of playing 3 at back, or, 4 at back (with haring) - can then bring in Walker or Halliday. Diamond gives more options 

10 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

I’d drop Berra - we then have a choice of playing 3 at back, or, 4 at back (with haring) - can then bring in Walker or Halliday. Diamond gives more options 

If we were going with a back 3 I'd go

Ginnelly Boyce GMS

Halliday Irving Haring M. Smith

Kingsley Halkett Popescu

Gordon 

52 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Obviously if or when we get drawn against better teams in Scottish cup we'll have to change but with our resources compared to teams we playing in league we should be letting them worry about us

So.....

It depends on who we are playing. 

Just as I said.

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, smiler said:

Two Berra's in centre, two Berra's either wing, that's a cracking midfield right there.

Remember you've got Berra's all over the defence and a couple of Berra's up top.

That's a Berra good team. 

Bazzas right boot

Atm

Halliday with Irving or Lee. 

Naismith behind Boyce 

GMS and Gino on the wings. 

6 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

That’s the right combination with Boyce up top. 

team should really pick itself now

6 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

he can prove it wrong. 

Totally agree.

3 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Yeah 3 at the back and boyce upfront

I'm intrigued. Any space in your line up for our best player, Michael Smith and arguably another of our better players Kingsley ? 

HillmanHearts
5 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Right now, 

Naisy Boyce

Gordon

This but with Halliday in for Haring.

Hate to criticise but big Pete is miles off it and its slowing down the team especially in the transition phase.

52 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

Hate to criticise but big Pete is miles off it and its slowing down the team especially in the transition phase.

So Halliday in for Haring you meant? At the moment I agree. Let Haring get his play and confidence up to speed later in games against tired legs. Looked ****ed against Dundee. 

1 hour ago, Paul Shark said:

I'm intrigued. Any space in your line up for our best player, Michael Smith and arguably another of our better players Kingsley ? 

Smith is a better centre back than anyone else at the club imo. Kingsley already played left of a three, I think in the raith cup game but definitely has played there. 

so

Gordon 

smith halkett kingsley 

ginnelly Irving Lee Halliday GMS 

boyce Naismith. 

Edited by GinRummy

57 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

Fair point. 👍

It doesn't look like Haring or Souttar will ever string 30 games together again to be honest. 

Hope i'm wrong but it's just one problem after another with those 2. 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Smith is a better centre back than anyone else at the club imo. Kingsley already played left of a three, I think in the raith cup game but definitely has played there. 

so

Gordon 

smith halkett kingsley 

ginnelly Irving Lee Halliday GMS 

boyce Naismith. 

I like that formation, but with 3 at the back you need a player who can drop in to cover the full back spaces. Halliday could do that on the left but the right is quite exposed. I’d drop Lee, put Brandon on the right and push Ginnelly and Irving further infield. In that case if any of our defenders push forward we can quickly and easily convert to a flat back 4.

1 minute ago, BervieJambo said:

I like that formation, but with 3 at the back you need a player who can drop in to cover the full back spaces. Halliday could do that on the left but the right is quite exposed. I’d drop Lee, put Brandon on the right and push Ginnelly and Irving further infield. In that case if any of our defenders push forward we can quickly and easily convert to a flat back 4.

Fair comment. I think we should go all out attack in the championship. We show teams too much respect at times. In saying that, you are right it is too aggressive and needs defensive cover on the right side. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 hours ago, Paul Shark said:

If you look further up the thread you'll see my starting 11 buddy

Gordon

Smith Halkett Popescu Kingsley 

Irving  Cochrane

GMS        Naismith     Ginnelly

Boyce

WheatfieldWarrior
16 hours ago, smiler said:

Sounds like a team that plays the ball forward and competes high up the pitch.

The Old Tolbooth
20 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Right now, 

Naisy Boyce

Gordon

Nailed it! 

8 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Nailed it! 

Relies on Haring being back to his best though. Dundee performance was worrying. 

22 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

he can prove it wrong. 

I'm inclined to agree with you but desperately hope you're wrong

The Old Tolbooth
4 hours ago, TypoonJambo said:

Relies on Haring being back to his best though. Dundee performance was worrying. 

True that, but I'm of the opinion that class is permanent, and form is temporary, he's too good to stay this poor forever. 

Ernie Eskilsson

Boyce

GMS, Walker, Ginelly 

Irving, Haring

Kingsley, Halkett, Smith, Brandon

Gordon 

Sad that Lee is away. Like big Uche he played with a smile on his face, was no Big Tine Charlie and was happy just to be playing football for a club like Hearts. Both had quality too.

1 hour ago, Ernie Eskilsson said:

Boyce

GMS, Walker, Ginelly 

Irving, Haring

Kingsley, Halkett, Smith, Brandon

Gordon 

Good team bar Brandon who is honking imo. Smith is at his best at RB so i'd defo not move him.  As for centre, there is no one suitable so I do see your reasoning.

Ginnelly Irving Halliday GMS

Diamond at home with the FBs pushing on.

Naismith dropping in to the head of a 3 man midfield with a 4 3 3 away.