New playing style

Agentjambo

Attack Attack Attack it’s only the bloody Championship. If your the manager and your worried that Christophe Berra isn’t quick or mobile enough, well that asks the question should Berra be in the team.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Bongo 1874

• JimmyCant

• DH1986

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s hard to tell where we are compared to last season given that we’re playing lower standard opposition. We definitely look more capable of dishing out a hiding on our day, especially at home. Away form is still a struggle but it’s been like that for 5 years or more. I’d like to think we have the basis of a team that wouldn’t get in trouble next season. Still a few bits not quite right but we’ll be okay by the time it comes round. Might be a while or a radical summer transfer window before we’re right up there challenging for Europe though. I think we’re quite a bit short of that at the moment. 

It isn’t too hard to tell where we are compared to last season. The big thing is we now can win football matches. The fragile mentality of loss -> loss -> draw -> loss type runs which we were on for 90% of last season under all 3 managers, has been worked on and progress has been made. But clearly there are still gaps there, frailties. And as you say they’ve been embedded in the squad for 2 or 3 years as we’ve gone backwards. We’re going forwards again, mentally now we’ve bounced back after each setback with a win, and we need to do that again in the next game. Didn’t see us do much bouncing back last season, we could not buy a result and suddenly another 3 or 4 games went by and we slipped further adrift. 

But we’ve only reached the starting line. Winning this league with 70-80% win percentage with this cobbled together coronavirus championship squad is the bare minimum. Further changes in personnel are required for the real challenge which is next season. I see the first 2 Savage era signings of Michael Smith and GMS as the start of that. But we’re going to need at least 5 or 6 more who are in that quality bracket. 

1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Again, things like transition/breaking the line are just jargon if they’re being used by coaches who are trying to sound clever. But transitional play, for example, can be really effective. At their best, look at the way City/Liverpool set traps with their pressing off the ball. It can work brilliantly for them but it only works if it’s practiced and co-ordinated. Players wouldn’t be able to do it in the same way without that specific coaching.

I agree with something debut 4 said. There’s a huge differences between coaches who can do it and coaches who want people to think they can do it. Brighton are actually a great example of a coach (Potter) who is using his reputation as a passing coach to shield the inadequacies of his tactics and his team. It’s the old ‘they play the right way’ defence. But they don’t play the right way because it doesn’t work.

I kind of think we're going round in circles. I don't disagree that the best teams with the best coaches and players can be good to watch. Although particularly City can be guilty of overplaying at times, one pass too many, or a sideways pass when a ball into the box would be better. 

What I hate all this jargon that's creeping in, nothing has changed in football when it comes to the fundamentals of the game it's how you win matches. That's what I was referring to as nonsense.

The other thing I hate is the over analysis of the opposition with the sole aim to nullify them without any attacking intent of your own. Finally I see players with ability contributing nothing because a manager has told them specifically to only do a certain job in the game, which does nothing other than take 2 players out a game, repeat that for all 10 outfield players and we get these incredibly dull matches.

There's so many people watching football now that don't understand the game because they think every team should play like Liverpool or Man City the reality is those two teams play very different styles, try and get Man City to play like Liverpool and they'd fail badly. That's why I appreciate what Gerard's done with Rangers and Neilson should be doing the same.

Neil Dongcaster

It’s not just some Hearts fans that have a real sense of apathy towards Robbie. He failed miserably at MK Dons and I recall reading that the Dundee Utd fans were absolutely not arsed about him going.

Robbie will get us promoted and was a really good choice as manager to achieve that. He also got us through against Hibs, albeit with a rather large dose of luck but sometimes you need that.

I just want out of this league pronto. Nobody has a right to be in the top league however it’s utterly embarrassing we ended up in the position we were in.

Get promoted and give Robbie 6 months and see what’s what.

Edited by Neil Dongcaster

1 hour ago, Agentjambo said:

If we don't get "dangerous and dynamic unit" like Robbie stated we are aiming for he will have failed....simple as that. 

Only if Savage can come up with the best players available positionally for that style of play and Robbie doesnt get a tune out of them

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

This thread is complete train wreck. 

Needs ITK input immediately. Haha wrong thread. 😂

Edited by GinRummy

• 2 weeks later...
The White Cockade

We could do with Raith’s playing style they are head and shoulders better than us so far 

Hopefully we turn it round second half but only two subs left now somlimits options as I would have had Ginnelly Walker and Wighton on

Any game you see us starting games playing the ball square at the back you know it’s going to be crap

Lacklustre with zero cutting edge 

The problem with RN is that whilst he talks a good game etc, he doesn't have the coaching skills to see it through. He is a bang average coach.

We could maybe try passing the ball forward   or at least to a player who isn't marked

Nobody runs into space. It's mainly ballot feet. Compare that today with raith rovers, managed by john.mcglynn!!

New playing style you say?

Attacking style you say?

Entertaining style you say?

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

On 14/01/2021 at 17:15, Smith's right boot said:

This thread is complete train wreck. 

Much like Robbie and the team today then!

• 2 months later...