New playing style

Agentjambo

6 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Although ironically Sergio got it spectacularly right in the 5-1 Final with Driver and Suso.  

You can play all day long with 2 wingers if you play one up front. 2 wide and 2 up front is asking for trouble unless those 4 have a lot more class than we currently have and teams have to set up primarily to stop them.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Bongo 1874

• JimmyCant

• DH1986

29 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Somebody with better memory than me will remember but I think JJ/Sergio time we kept trying [and failing] with 2 wingers

Should point out, I'm not actually having a go at what Robbie's said here, he's identified the type of team and style that we like to see most and wants to build a team in that mould so I'm all for it. I would just question the two wingers part, that's asking for trouble.

57 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

“You should come out of every transfer window in a better position than before it opened"

What happened to the idea that the January window is THE worst time to bring players in ? 

Is he seriously expecting the fans to believe that this is actually the master plan - after he signed those dross wingers in the summer. Is that his excuse ? 

Good luck Robbie. 

I'd say we came out of the summer window in a better position despite the signing of the wingers who have disappointed.  Gordon, Kingsley, Halliday and Popescu have all filled necessary gaps in the squad.

January isn't always a good time but the signing of GMS already leaves us in a better position in this transfer window.

10 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Although ironically Sergio got it spectacularly right in the 5-1 Final with Driver and Suso.  

Yea but that was just hibs

1 minute ago, leith_dude said:

I'd say we came out of the summer window in a better position despite the signing of the wingers who have disappointed.  Gordon, Kingsley, Halliday and Popescu have all filled necessary gaps in the squad.

January isn't always a good time but the signing of GMS already leaves us in a better position in this transfer window.

Halliday and Popescu haven’t been great but your general point is correct.

Im not bothered that much about this window viz a viz this season. Another 6 wins and it’s done and dusted if it isn’t already. We’ve enough easy home games left to get home with something to spare.

GMS and above is hopefully the standard we are looking at for next season and it’s all very well coming out of the next summer window and saying we’re better. It’s how much better we’d need to be that concerns me.

4 minutes ago, Benzinho said:

Should point out, I'm not actually having a go at what Robbie's said here, he's identified the type of team and style that we like to see most and wants to build a team in that mould so I'm all for it. I would just question the two wingers part, that's asking for trouble.

The Hearts DNA, as the article says, is not built on formations, it's built on attitude, being aggressive and puffing our chests out and taking no ****. We always earned the right to play before getting ahead of ourselves.

1 hour ago, jambonian said:

Yes, they....the board.

It's not just Neilson though, there have been others as well. Neilson has signed a few decent players but he was also around when the likes of Oshaniwa, Sammon and some others arrived. It wasn't a dig at one particular manager, it was a generalization over the amount of players that have came and went in the last half decade and still we're trying to find the right players each time the transfer window arrives. That was my point.

Well....

This transfer window, and the summer in particular has be given an opportunity to make signings before the moaning begins.

The board who you are oddly blaming for all the shit signings have been pretty much replaced at the football end of things.

Brighton Jambo

Who would want 442 anyway.  It’s the formation of dinosaurs and doesn’t in any way guarantee attacking football.  Having a squad that allows flexibility of formation is the key.  

1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Who would want 442 anyway.  It’s the formation of dinosaurs and doesn’t in any way guarantee attacking football.  Having a squad that allows flexibility of formation is the key.  

That's what you get, I tried to warn everyone. 

Really don’t get the hatred towards Neilson, is it still the Hibs cup game?  

Was successful in his last spell and has already improved the team considerably from the mess Levein left us in.  The summer transfer window will be the big test, as there is still a lot of work to be done to improve the spine of the team.

This window so far has seen us bring in an excellent winger and tie done our most consistent performer to a longer deal.  All good so far.  Hopefully get at least one more in, we definitely need another striker.  Would also be good to strengthen at centre half and central midfield, but that mat need to wait until the summer

Just now, DH1986 said:

442 can work no problems if you have the right players.

Best team we’ve seen in 20 years played 442.

Who was that?. 

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Counter attack team that soaks up pressure, and tries to hit on the break with fast wingers, GMS and Ginnelly. 

I wish you’d told Stendel that when we were struggling at the foot of the table last season.

54 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

He’s asked for that to be honest. Are we suddenly to believe that Neilson is going to play an aggressive 4-4-2 away from home. He’s NEVER been aggressive away from home. He NEVER will be.

4-4-2 against weaker teams at home ? Yes I can see him doing that, in fact he’s done it several times. 

He had got more kudos if he had added that we’re going to Kilmarnock, Perth, Dundee and Paisley etc playing aggressive 4-4-2 but he didn’t add that because he’ll NEVER do it.

Spot on!! He’s a shitebag who imo worries himself more about the opposition and their players than letting ours go out and express themselves.

Just now, DH1986 said:

I wish you’d told Stendel that when we were struggling at the foot of the table last season.

Maybe i should of told Robbie how Stendel, managed to attack a Hibs side away from home. 

get a win 3-1 against our rivals. 

It might of came in handy for the Dundee game. 

Next you will be trying to spin Dundee are a better team than hibs 🤔

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Maybe i should of told Robbie how Stendel, managed to attack a Hibs side away from home. 

In fairness, Robbie took care of hibs this season.

7 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Burley was 442.

You seriously going to sit their and compare that to Robbie's team? 

Burley was a far better manager than Neilson ever was, how many English premiership teams has Neilson managed?. 

The budget Burley had aswell, not even a comparison. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

In fairness, Robbie took care of hibs this season.

Over 90 mins? 

Let's not kid ourselves nookie, it took hibs to miss a penalty for us to win 👍

Edited by Bongo 1874

Awe......you’re still missing DS.

You are very selective.....Neilson just beat Hibs a couple of months back and gave Celtic a very good game despite being in a league below....thanks for that btw Daniel.

You really can’t say anything about any manager when you loved the guy who couldn’t get us results against the teams around us when it mattered.

1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

You get to the stage where you just roll your eyes and move on.  People seem to thrive on misery.  

Trolls, ignore and definitely don't feed

4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

You seriously going to sit their and compare that to Robbie team? 

Burley was a far better manager than Neilson ever was, how many English premiership teams has Neilson managed?. 

The budget Burley had aswell, not even a comparison. 

Folk dismissed 442 out of hand.....I simple said 442 can work if you have the right players.

You need to calm down because in all your excitement to criticise RN you’re missing a lot of vital points that would stop me from having repeat myself.

Edited by DH1986

Always been of the view that if we're not going to be playing pretty football, we need to be playing winning football. 

I have zero issue playing hoofball if it wins matches and we dominate the opposition. Issues come when we're playing shite football poorly. Which was the issue under Levein. 

If Neilson has us playing hoofball and we're winning headers, winning second balls, not being outfought, then frankly thats fine. Obviously would like to see some technical ability on display, but if it wins us cups, gets us into the europa league, gets us success it really doesn't matter to me. 

We need our youth system to be developing players that support the system of our first team. No point trying to develop technically gifted players if we're shelling balls forward for 90 minutes. 

7 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Awe......you’re still missing DS.

You are very selective.....Neilson just beat Hibs a couple of months back and gave Celtic a very good game despite being in a league below....thanks for that btw Daniel.

You really can’t say anything about any manager when you loved the guy who couldn’t get us results against the teams around us when it mattered.

I can say what i want, you struggle to realise that it wasn't Stendel's fault, your head is so far up Levein and Robbie's arse, you probably know what they had for breakfast. 

A Hibs team that should've won against us, and we hardly dominated the game. 

And Hearts pushing a celtic side that sit 21 points behind their greatest rivals 🤔

Edited by Bongo 1874

I can say what i want, you struggle to realise that it wasn't Stendel's fault, your head is so far up Levein and Robbie's arse, you probably know what they had for breakfast. 

A Hibs team that should've won against us, and we by no means dominated the game. 

And Hearts pushing a celtic side that sit 21 points behind their greatest rivals 🤔

😂

You’re damaged.

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Over the period of match. That’s what counts. 😄

Struggling to beat hibs over 90 mins dave? Or destroying them on their own patch? 😉 I know deep down which one you would like 😁

Modern day 442 is nothing like 442 of the past where wattie kidd would get a nose bleed st the half way line, robbo/Clark would barely come back to the half way line and JC would be touching hugging the touchline for nearly 90 mins

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Struggling to beat hibs over 90 mins dave? Or destroying them on their own patch? 😉 I know deep down which one you would like 😁

Ultimately, I’m always happy to beat them. I feel trying to be negative about Robbie because he best Hibs in extra time in a National cup final is a tad churlish. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Stendel again aye.  

No just suprised people are in shock with what Robbie has said. 

I mean what are the fans expecting, the guy has never played good football. 

You just need to look at his top 4 games record to see that. 

No just suprised people are in shock with what Robbie has said. 

I mean what are the fans expecting, the guy has never played good football. 

You just need to look at his top 4 games record to see that. 

He’s come out with a positive piece in the paper. Telling us we are moving towards a more attacking style. There’s absolutely no problem with that. If it happens it happens. Just give the guy a chance. He’s still a young manager when all’s said and done. I never wanted Stendel to go either but he’s gone. It is what it is. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

He’s come out with a positive piece in the paper. Telling us we are moving towards a more attacking style. There’s absolutely no problem with that. If it happens it happens. Just give the guy a chance. He’s still a young manager when all’s said and done. I never wanted Stendel to go either but he’s gone. It is what it is. 

Will do 👍

2 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

He's made a rod for hiss own back with that statement imo. If we don't get exciting, attacking football the fans won't be slow to turn. 

And every team we play will know how we are going to line up long before we play them?

Football has changed and formations aren't what they once were, now everything is more fluid and positions have changed, full backs and wingers are no longer completely different types of players, both are expected to defend and attack. Forwards are no longer poachers they're now the first line of defence and are expected to drop in to receive the ball from areas in the past would be a midfield position. A 442 changes in game so how attacking or defensive the team play comes down to how far up or deep on the pitch the team is.

What we need to see more of is players initial thought is to play forward, at the moment we still look took take the easy option which tends to be sideways or backwards. 

2 hours ago, leith_dude said:

All true  - except he's signing GMS because  the two duds he signed in the summer have been a disaster. 

No need for the level of pessimism on this thread. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and let's see what happens. 

Once we're promoted however, I'd expect to see Robbie backing these comments up on the park or they will no doubt come back to bite him in the erse if he resorts to a ridgid, cautious approach. 

As Nano said, we're not exactly better off coming out of the summer window. He's signed three absolute duffers in Popescu, Roberts and Frear. 

Edited by Cruyff

A_A wehatethehibs

Good to hear Robbies plan to get back to the roots of the best Hearts teams of the last 20 years. 5 of the seasons where we finished 3rd in the premiership or better and/or won cups, he was directly involved as player or manager. And the other 2 he was not directly involved in, Jim Jeffries and Paulo Sergio, 2010-2012, both teams played near enough exactly the football he’s described. So there’s no chance anyone can argue that Neilson doesn’t know what’s required to get Hearts up where we belong.

Get back to the fundamentals that made up our best teams of recent years, and that is players knowing their jobs and offering the various different qualities in different areas of the pitch he’s described, it sounds like the right approach to me after the last 3 car crash managers in row, all of whom had convoluted, incomprehensible, highly technical plans to revolutionise Scottish football, but failed in terms of results. We need honest players who are good at the various different jobs, if you want technical wizard players who can do everything in every position, and play like Bayern or Barca, you’re going to need a billion pound budget. That’s not the way things are at this club. Get back to the basics of a solid foundation, backbone, stamp your authority on the games and once that’s in place, the results will follow. 

adambraejambo

People moaned because Levein could not adapt and change things but he still got time to try.

Stendel came in and tried to change everything and people moaned that he was clueless and  slow to adapt.

Neilson comes in and wins most of our games and after a very short turnaround where it seems some clubs have maybe adapted to our style he comes out and shakes things up a bit. Maybe we could cut him a little slack  and actually let him  have a game or two  with  new tactics before we slag him off. 

For the record I wanted Stendel to stay but I back Neilson 100% . He was not responsible for the mess he inherited. 

4 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Given that RN was quoted very recently he doesn’t see Steven Naismith as a forward but more of a No.10 these days, I don’t see a place for him in the team or Jamie Walker for that matter.

Not that I’m fussed tbh.....it’s just a big wage to carry for someone you don’t see in your preferred formation.

Robbie rates Walker very highly.

5 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

He's made a rod for hiss own back with that statement imo. If we don't get exciting, attacking football the fans won't be slow to turn. 

Turn? 😀😀😀
A lot of fans had turned before he arrived again and a fair few have turned since.

If many more turn he’ll be as popular as his predecessor 

4 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Spot on. Brian Clough was asked how was he able to build such good teams 'because I sign good players....' he replied.

I remember reading an article in 4-4-2 magazine where they interviewed managers around Europe and in the UK, Fergie, Wenger among may others, and it was specifically about their thoughts on what makes a successful team. Pretty much every manager said 90% of the time its the players you pick/sign/promote. The remaining 10% was everything else.

But we live in a tactics, strategy obsessed world now in football. Every manager wants to be the genius. 

Football isn`t easy and there`s many challenges and scenarios to deal with but i think having an eye for a player, knowing how to build a team and honing them on a high workrate gives you the base. I`m not sure football works that way now though and its worse for it, imo.

Edited by Debut 4

2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Football has changed and formations aren't what they once were, now everything is more fluid and positions have changed, full backs and wingers are no longer completely different types of players, both are expected to defend and attack. Forwards are no longer poachers they're now the first line of defence and are expected to drop in to receive the ball from areas in the past would be a midfield position. A 442 changes in game so how attacking or defensive the team play comes down to how far up or deep on the pitch the team is.

What we need to see more of is players initial thought is to play forward, at the moment we still look took take the easy option which tends to be sideways or backwards. 

Within your opening lines is why the game is going as a spectacle.  It is becoming so generic it bores people to f££k.

Where`s the individuality? Key elements are being lost in the game as players become safe, characterless and bred on one way of playing. 

People ask why Hearts rarely produce a centre forward. I was told the strategy was to breed them on being a number 10. I can`t remember the name but we lost a prospect not too long ago because of this. The Dad pulled him out.  But its not just a Hearts problem.

Edited by Debut 4