• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Bongo 1874

• JimmyCant

• DH1986

Given that RN was quoted very recently he doesn’t see Steven Naismith as a forward but more of a No.10 these days, I don’t see a place for him in the team or Jamie Walker for that matter.

Not that I’m fussed tbh.....it’s just a big wage to carry for someone you don’t see in your preferred formation.

Edited by DH1986

4 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Given that RN was quoted very recently he doesn’t see Steven Naismith as a forward but more of a No.10 these days I don’t see a place for him in the team or Jamie Walker for that matter.

Not that I’m fussed tbh.....it’s just a big wage to carry for someone you don’t see in your preferred formation.

No great loss tbh.  Aside from one good game in every 3, he's like playing a man down.  He doesn't chase the ball or move into space, just waits for it to come to him, ******s around with it for a bit and ends up losing possession, then doesn't make any real effort to go after it again.  It's like he can't be arsed, which is frustrating because if he just gave a bit more in every game, the difference would be huge. 

lost in space

What a load of bullocks!

If he beleived that, he would have brought in another forward at the beginning of the season when it was so obvious we needed one.

I wont hold my breath and wait for a 4-4-2 exciting attacking team from Robbie Neilson.

Berra than you

Hmmm. The closest we ever got to the last time was middle of the first season back up, when we played a lopsided 4-4-2, with essentially a cm (usually buaben) at RM allowing Paterson to press forward. Would love to see what he's describing, but 4-4-2 rarely works well nowadays.

He's made a rod for hiss own back with that statement imo. If we don't get exciting, attacking football the fans won't be slow to turn. 

1 minute ago, Agentjambo said:

He's made a rod for hiss own back with that statement imo. If we don't get exciting, attacking football the fans won't be slow to turn. 

It'll all come together once Tynie is painted out in grey and we get our new beige kit. 

Injured players back this weekend 🤔

Interesting to see if Ginnelly features. 

It's not if we haven't heard it all before regarding injured players. 

10 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

he's described the system and style of play when doddie was in charge which was brilliant to watch.

So 3 up front?

15 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

he's described the system and style of play when doddie was in charge which was brilliant to watch.

Doddie usually played with a front 3

It's not an immediate change to 442. He clearly states it's the aim to get there over the next couple of windows. 

14 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

nothing wrong with the home form. It’s away that needs sorted

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

We've played our best football this season with a 4-3-3 IMO. I do think however that we have missed a striker that can win balls in the air and hold it up, bring others into play etc. Just don't think the 4-4-2 he's describing there has enough in middle of the park, considering how immobile our centre mids are.

I don't really listen to what Neilson says. Football's football. If you have the correct players in place then formations are an afterthought. In the 80s, MacDonald liked a 4-3-3 with Clark and Robertson around the box and main supply coming from Colquhoun. MacKay in the middle, and Black left-side backing them up in midfield, Berry sitting in front of the defence while Kidd and Whittaker got down the flanks. In the 90s the most exciting formation i watched under Jeffries was a 3-5-2 with McPherson, Weir, Ritchie and fullbacks like Pointon/Naysmith pushing on down one flank and Flogel down the other. Salvatori battling, Fulton passing and Cameron supporting the frontline with Adam and Robertson/Hamilton. McCann was used as and when Jeffries wanted to change the system to a 4-4-2 with a winger. Nowadays it's defensive midfielders this and that, wing-backs, a number 10 player....it's all nonsense. Sign the right players and you won't have to fit square pegs in round holes, which is what's been going on at Hearts for far too long.

2 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

It's not an immediate change to 442. He clearly states it's the aim to get there over the next couple of windows. 

If he signed a powerful striker we could play that way from Saturday.

16 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

So 3 up front?

always looked like a 442 with Clark and robbo up front jc on the wing and usually Jardine or black on the left with later tosh overlapping when he joined from dundee

Dusk_Till_Dawn
15 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

It’s more waffle from a coach who in two windows time will making similar promises and similar comments because making promises is easier than actually delivering.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

And by the way, he comes across like an absolute dinosaur in that interview. 

Get us promoted and move on, Robbie 👍🏻

Yup. Sacked on the day of promotion pls

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s more waffle from a coach who in two windows time will making similar promises and similar comments because making promises is easier than actually delivering.

Since promotion in 2015 there's been about 10 transfer windows so if they still can't get it right after all that then there's something far wrong.

Gordon Ramsay

He alluded to this before the start of the season. We've seen a bit of it but mainly turgid snorefests. Let's hope Gino is fit and Mackay-Steven can get up to speed quickly so we can get going with this.

“You should come out of every transfer window in a better position than before it opened"

What happened to the idea that the January window is THE worst time to bring players in ? 

Is he seriously expecting the fans to believe that this is actually the master plan - after he signed those dross wingers in the summer. Is that his excuse ? 

Good luck Robbie. 

7 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Since promotion in 2015 there's been about 10 transfer windows so if they still can't get it right after all that then there's something far wrong.

They ?

Neilson has improved us with every transfer window he’s had as manager imo.

Just now, DH1986 said:

They ?

Neilson has improved us with every transfer window he’s had as manager imo.

Yes, they....the board.

It's not just Neilson though, there have been others as well. Neilson has signed a few decent players but he was also around when the likes of Oshaniwa, Sammon and some others arrived. It wasn't a dig at one particular manager, it was a generalization over the amount of players that have came and went in the last half decade and still we're trying to find the right players each time the transfer window arrives. That was my point.

I'd like to see Jamie Walker played as a striker. Don't think has the legs to play out wide, and I think too often the game passes him by in midfield. He's always been a solid finisher and it might be the best way to fit him into the side. 

Edit: Assuming we're playing a 442

Edited by OTT

39 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I don't really listen to what Neilson says. Football's football. If you have the correct players in place then formations are an afterthought. In the 80s, MacDonald liked a 4-3-3 with Clark and Robertson around the box and main supply coming from Colquhoun. MacKay in the middle, and Black left-side backing them up in midfield, Berry sitting in front of the defence while Kidd and Whittaker got down the flanks. In the 90s the most exciting formation i watched under Jeffries was a 3-5-2 with McPherson, Weir, Ritchie and fullbacks like Pointon/Naysmith pushing on down one flank and Flogel down the other. Salvatori battling, Fulton passing and Cameron supporting the frontline with Adam and Robertson/Hamilton. McCann was used as and when Jeffries wanted to change the system to a 4-4-2 with a winger. Nowadays it's defensive midfielders this and that, wing-backs, a number 10 player....it's all nonsense. Sign the right players and you won't have to fit square pegs in round holes, which is what's been going on at Hearts for far too long.

:clap:

:spoton:

Edited by Boris

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

I'd like to see Jamie Walker played as a striker. Don't think has the legs to play out wide, and I think too often the game passes him by in midfield. He's always been a solid finisher and it might be the best way to fit him into the side. 

I wouldn't play Jamie walker at all, can't even cut it in the championship. 

He's basically described every good Hearts team since 86, with one small difference. We've never tended to have two out and out wingers in these teams. It's always tended to be a winger plus a more central midfielder playing on the right/left side. e.g. Colquhoun/Black, McCann/Fulton, Skacel/Cammazola. It's a 4-3-3 in attack and 4-4-2 when defending, with the winger dropping back to help the full back.

I would be worried about being too exposed with two out and out wingers, unless you're going to play a 4-2-3-1 as we have been doing.

If we're going to play the big man/wee man striking partnership, one of the wide midfielders needs to sit a lot more to help offer a bit of protection to the defence if the other team counter attacks.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

I wouldn't play Jamie walker at all, can't even cut it in the championship. 

Exactly. Sub at best when the game has slowed down. We can’t afford to carry passengers. 

Just now, OTT said:

I'm not saying Walker couldn't do a job up there but it sort of defines my point in fitting square pegs in round holes. If recruitment was done properly then we wouldn't need to "fit him" or anyone else into a team at all. You need a striker? Go and get one. You need a central defender? Go and get one etc etc. It's always handy if a player can fill in somewhere if there's an injury crisis, like Smith playing as a temporary centre-back if a defender is sent-off/injured/suspended. I'm fine with that but i still wouldn't be wanting him there all the time as it then weakens the right-back area. You're basically robbing Peter to pay Paul as the saying goes, solving one problem and creating another.

With the squad we've got at our disposal right now i wouldn't be too concerned if they did want to try Walker upfront but it really shouldn't have to come to that. I get your point though.

55 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Agree 

When you have the ball get 5 or 6 players forward. 

Simple. 

14 minutes ago, Benzinho said:

He's basically described every good Hearts team since 86, with one small difference. We've never tended to have two out and out wingers in these teams. It's always tended to be a winger plus a more central midfielder playing on the right/left side. e.g. Colquhoun/Black, McCann/Fulton, Skacel/Cammazola. It's a 4-3-3 in attack and 4-4-2 when defending, with the winger dropping back to help the full back.

I would be worried about being too exposed with two out and out wingers, unless you're going to play a 4-2-3-1 as we have been doing.

If we're going to play the big man/wee man striking partnership, one of the wide midfielders needs to sit a lot more to help offer a bit of protection to the defence if the other team counter attacks.

Somebody with better memory than me will remember but I think JJ/Sergio time we kept trying [and failing] with 2 wingers

35 minutes ago, OTT said:

Always wondered about that given Walker is an intelligent player and as you say a good finisher. Good players should be able to adapt to another position given time.

lost in space
36 minutes ago, OTT said:

I would like to see Walker playing as a striker too - for hibs.

Slow. Bad attitude, not bravest, rubbish in the air, not able to run at a defence.

To be fair, he has an eye for goal and a Strong shot - but that isnt enough.

19 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Somebody with better memory than me will remember but I think JJ/Sergio time we kept trying [and failing] with 2 wingers

Although ironically Sergio got it spectacularly right in the 5-1 Final with Driver and Suso.  

Just now, baxterd1974 said:

Another wonderfully supportive thread, well done usual suspects!

You get to the stage where you just roll your eyes and move on.  People seem to thrive on misery.  

The Treasurer

Just a wee reminder to those complaining about Robbie's "boring" style of football.

We are top scorers in the division by some way.

We scored 5 goals in two SC games against two of the supposed better teams in the Premiership.

Before anyone says it, our away form is not good enough, but that is hardly a new thing since RN took over.

In fact the last time we were any good away from home was when he was last in charge

1 minute ago, baxterd1974 said:

Another wonderfully supportive thread, well done usual suspects!

He’s asked for that to be honest. Are we suddenly to believe that Neilson is going to play an aggressive 4-4-2 away from home. He’s NEVER been aggressive away from home. He NEVER will be.

4-4-2 against weaker teams at home ? Yes I can see him doing that, in fact he’s done it several times. 

He had got more kudos if he had added that we’re going to Kilmarnock, Perth, Dundee and Paisley etc playing aggressive 4-4-2 but he didn’t add that because he’ll NEVER do it.

5 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Although ironically Sergio got it spectacularly right in the 5-1 Final with Driver and Suso.  

To be fair, we could play 11 wingers against Hibs and still win!