Ferranti Apprentices

smiler

Hi guys, bit of a long shot i accept.....but i know there's a few ex/current employees on here..... 

Anyone remember the apprentice year intake group photos from back in the day that were on display in Robby Ave training centre? Were they kept by someone or did they vanish when the building got demolished?

I'm trying to get hold of a specific one for a mates milestone birthday.....   

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smiler

• Konrad von Carstein

• Les Izemore

• graygo

I might be in it which would spoil it.  :)

Ferranti were bought over by GEC Marconi I think,  who were in turn bought over by BAE Systems,  I think.

If you can advise the year required I can have an ask about. Still a good few Ferranti apprentices knocking around at Crewe Toll (well normally!)

44 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I might be in it which would spoil it.  :)

Ferranti were bought over by GEC Marconi I think,  who were in turn bought over by BAE Systems,  I think.

Yes but before that they became Ferranti International after they bought some American mob, a bad move and they went bankrupt later on, with the various subsidiaries being sold off. 

What year did you start? 

38 minutes ago, EC_Hearts said:

If you can advise the year required I can have an ask about. Still a good few Ferranti apprentices knocking around at Crewe Toll (well normally!)

He started in 87 and is still at Crewe Toll 👍

I suspect the photos are long gone now but it would be appreciated if you could ask about please. 

1 minute ago, smiler said:

Yes but before that they became Ferranti International after they bought some American mob, a bad move and they went bankrupt later on, with the various subsidiaries being sold off. 

What year did you start? 

International Signal & Control (ISC).  They had a bogus order book I seem to remember.  Ferranti bought it on the basis of their order book but there was no value in it.

Started 1985.  Mechanical technician.  A year in the training centre,  then placed at Silverknowes,  back to Robby Av,  Crewe Toll and Gyle.

Konrad von Carstein

Started 1981.  Mechanical craft apprentice.  A year in the training centre,  then placed at Silverknowes,  back to Robby Av,  Crewe Toll  (2 departments) and final placement back at Silverknowes, some of the best days of my life being an apprentice there.

3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Started 1981.  Mechanical craft apprentice.  A year in the training centre,  then placed at Silverknowes,  back to Robby Av,  Crewe Toll  (2 departments) and final placement back at Silverknowes, some of the best days of my life being an apprentice there.

:Agree:

Loved the training centre.  The machine and fitting shops but especially Lathes.  The Telford College based day release learning was a scream as well.

Konrad von Carstein
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Loved the training centre.  The machine and fitting shops but especially Lathes.  The Telford College based day release learning was a scream as well.

Telford College was a fecking hoot...Day release...buggering off at lunchtime to the Telford Arms...Great stuff...

Just now, Konrad von Carstein said:

Telford College was a fecking hoot...Day release...buggering off at lunchtime to the Telford Arms...Great stuff...

****ing right.  But we went up town and almost always forgot to go back.  

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Absolutely, you might remember the instructors Kennedy and Farquharson who were sound. Meathook Mike who was odd. Norrie the storeman who was unpredictable and the milling instructor, polish name that escapes me, he was an arse. Wee Willie Maltman used to float about selling the Hearts scratchcards as well. 

Most times at college we'd spend at the Telford Arms, happy days man. 

Konrad von Carstein
Just now, Victorian said:

****ing right.  But we went up town and almost always forgot to go back.  

Oh aye that as well...we always seemed to "forget" to go back more often than not :lol: 

Never got pulled up for it either...

5 minutes ago, smiler said:

Absolutely, you might remember the instructors Kennedy and Farquharson who were sound. Meathook Mike who was odd. Norrie the storeman who was unpredictable and the milling instructor, polish name that escapes me, he was an arse. Wee Willie Maltman used to float about selling the Hearts scratchcards as well. 

I do remember them.  Old Farquharson was a maniac and a huge WUM.  Kennedy was a great guy.  The milling guy was a bit of a creepy,  poser I seem to remember.  We used to torment Norrie by nicking half his stock and all our stores tokens back when he wasn't there.

7 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Oh aye that as well...we always seemed to "forget" to go back more often than not :lol: 

Never got pulled up for it either...

Rarely but I think we did get collared eventually.

Konrad von Carstein
4 minutes ago, smiler said:

Bob Farquarson

??? Paton (I think) craft apprentices were in the area off the main workshop used by Tech apprentices - grump twat but ended up being a decent bloke (just as we were completing out training year)

Then my mind goes blank with names...

The Polish named instructor was OK with us

There was one who resembled a thin gangly Eric Morcambe - school teacherly fud

Young guy was the drawing instructor - he was sound

Norrie was a torn faced arse :lol: 

The rest have faded with time :( 

16 minutes ago, smiler said:

Some of those names are a blast from the past! I started at Robbie Ave in 1988.  😄

Was the milling instructor Kilanowski? Ricky maybe?

When I was there Norrie the storeman used to scowl when you needed something like a new drill bit 😄 it's as if he was paying for the stock out of his own pocket! 😄

Ferranti's was great. My father in law was there for 50 years 

Edited by Rodge

2 hours ago, smiler said:

79 Intake, Mechanical Technician, I cannot praise the company enough for their training.

The quality of the machines in the training centre, are still newer than any company's I've worked with since.

Auld Farquy, we all hated him at first, great guy.

Graham Kennedy liked me as I was a Jambo, Mr Paul beside him was hilarious.

I was stupid taking my redundency in 91, they offered me another job in Crewe Toll.

2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Bob Farquarson

??? Paton (I think) craft apprentices were in the area off the main workshop used by Tech apprentices - grump twat but ended up being a decent bloke (just as we were completing out training year)

Then my mind goes blank with names...

The Polish named instructor was OK with us

There was one who resembled a thin gangly Eric Morcambe - school teacherly fud

Young guy was the drawing instructor - he was sound

Norrie was a torn faced arse :lol: 

The rest have faded with time :( 

Norrie Patton turning along with Farqy

Mr Prentice, taught all the really intricate stuff.

Mr Smith did sheet matal working, you made your toolbox:lol:

Stuart ? taught us technical Drawing standards.

A wee Ginger headed guy did the milling machines. (edit Mr Paton, seen it above)

Mr Gardiner was one Electrical guy I remember only.

In charge, forgetting his name, he run Boghall Aces 21s, wanted me to play for them. (bob malcolm??)

A grey hairedwee teuchter who interviewed me for the job, cant remember his name.

Edited by Tommy Brown

Hi, Smiler.

Not really a post to help with your query, but I noticed you mentioned a William Maltman.  A pretty unusual surname. I knew  (not very well) a William Maltman a good few years ago.  Do you happen to know if his wife was named Barbara?  When I knew of them they lived at Buckstone then moved to Morningside.

Konrad von Carstein
23 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

A wee Ginger headed guy did the milling machines. (edit Mr Paton, seen it above)

In charge, forgetting his name, he run Boghall Aces 21s, wanted me to play for them. (bob malcolm??)

A grey hairedwee teuchter who interviewed me for the job, cant remember his name.

Bob Paul not Farquarson from my post.

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Could that have been Willie Wood

4 hours ago, smiler said:

I’m sure if he is related I knew of an Andy Maltman I think he was in Quality Department possibly 

My dad worked there for about 50 years I think starting as an apprentice. Robbie Avenue , night school at Napier. Sliverknowes and Crewe roll. Got to travel the world with them too. Was working in gulf With them just before that war and got one of the last civilian flights out. Worked on apache radar, euro fighter

21 minutes ago, samgolden said:

I’m sure if he is related I knew of an Andy Maltman I think he was in Quality Department possibly 

Andy is still there in a project management role. No idea if they are related but from memory Willie was quite a wee guy whereas Andy isn't !!

remember willie ending up in South Gyle, I left  Nov 91.

Would always come in blether about football for ages upteen times a day.

Wanae much work done in that company.:lol:

5 hours ago, Rodge said:

Some of those names are a blast from the past! I started at Robbie Ave in 1988.  😄

Was the milling instructor Kilanowski? Ricky maybe?

When I was there Norrie the storeman used to scowl when you needed something like a new drill bit 😄 it's as if he was paying for the stock out of his own pocket! 😄

Ferranti's was great. My father in law was there for 50 years 

Ricky Kilanowski, that's it, he hated me! 

Three of my uncles worked for Ferranti when I joined, it was a job for life back then, until the ill fated buy over, then it went pear shaped for a lot of guys. 

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

79 Intake, Mechanical Technician, I cannot praise the company enough for their training.

The quality of the machines in the training centre, are still newer than any company's I've worked with since.

I was stupid taking my redundency in 91, they offered me another job in Crewe Toll.

Kennedy liked me as well as we were both Hearts, used to see him often at Tynie and he'd still be wearing his work issue brown safety shoes. Wouldn't talk to you at the games though. 

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Hi, Smiler.

Not really a post to help with your query, but I noticed you mentioned a William Maltman.  A pretty unusual surname. I knew  (not very well) a William Maltman a good few years ago.  Do you happen to know if his wife was named Barbara?  When I knew of them they lived at Buckstone then moved to Morningside.

I'm not sure Morgan, he was the wee guy that used to stand at the McLeod St / School end entrance selling the Hearts scratch cards. Nice guy too. 

3 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

There was another milling guy called Rab Shand? 

I mind the wee white haired teuchter guy, he interviewed me as well 😀

27 minutes ago, smiler said:

There was another milling guy called Rab Shand? 

I mind the wee white haired teuchter guy, he interviewed me as well 😀

Rab Shand, forgot about him 👌

43 minutes ago, smiler said:

I'm not sure Morgan, he was the wee guy that used to stand at the McLeod St / School end entrance selling the Hearts scratch cards. Nice guy too. 

Aye ok, fair enough.

I don’t think it can be the same bloke, the one I knew was quite tall and portly, wore specs and had a heavy mop of hair.

Ha ha Kennedy was indeed a good guy and big jambo.i remember the night v hibs I got lifted and dubbed up for the night.next day got back to the training centre for dinnertime.made a daft excuse up for being off in the morning.kennedy took me aside and Saudi could have swore I seen you getting marched round the field last night"then broke into a huge smile ha ha .Good guy

13 hours ago, Morgan said:

Aye ok, fair enough.

I don’t think it can be the same bloke, the one I knew was quite tall and portly, wore specs and had a heavy mop of hair.

Willie had a right mop of hair, was fairly portly but was definitely not tall. 

Konrad von Carstein

Willie had a right mop of hair, was fairly portly but was definitely not tall. 

Maybe Morgan is an Ooompa Loompa so anyone above 3 foot is tall? 🤔

4 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Maybe Morgan is an Ooompa Loompa so anyone above 3 foot is tall? 🤔

Who knows?

6D63D280-39AF-4B51-A46F-267E6475ED3B.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Who knows?

6D63D280-39AF-4B51-A46F-267E6475ED3B.jpeg

Almost the right colour of the Ferranti training centre machine shop coat that we wore.  The hair-do would have got you a kicking in the social club though.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Almost the right colour of the Ferranti training centre machine shop coat that we wore.  The hair-do would have got you a kicking in the social club though.

The hair colour is none too clever either.

:boak:

On 13/01/2021 at 13:19, Konrad von Carstein said:

I started at the same time, mechanical technician though. 👍

On 13/01/2021 at 13:33, smiler said:

Kilanowski. 

Edit: Already answered, I'll read the bloody thread now.

Edited by graygo

On 13/01/2021 at 15:45, Tommy Brown said:

Got a hard time from Kennedy until our team won the 5 a sides at the sports day, then he was sound. 😁

Konrad von Carstein
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

I started at the same time, mechanical technician though. 👍

Booooo - ****ing - booooo!!!

Techy wank!

:lol:

Konrad von Carstein

I left after almost 20 years, just before everything moved to the refurbished Crewe Toll 

Employment history:

Apprentice,  Robbie Ave - 1 year

Environmental Test Workshop, Silverknowes - 1 year - A coming of age period for me, great bunch of lads, some sadly no longer with us, but I had some fantastic times there.

Plant Maintenance Robbie Ave, 1 year - Absolute blast for a teenager, could have made a TV series about the exploits of the "Heavy Squad"

Tool Room, Crewe Toll - 6 months - Not great, but, due to having so many of my intake around the place it was bearable.

Machine Tool Maintenance, Crewe Toll - 6 months - Pretty good as we went to various sites "fixing stuff" and weren't stuck in the Machine Hall

Final placement - Back to Environmental Test, that place had such an effect on how I turned out as a young man still have a few people on FB and keep "vaguely" in touch.

I ended up in the commercial department and that was where I was when I left...don't regret leaving but sometimes wonder where I woud be had I stayed as I was doing reasonably well in my role...

I joined in 1984 as a Mech Techie and left in 2016. 

I worked at all the sites mentioned above and others besides. Bellesk House anyone?

The OP asked about the apprentice photos. When Robbie Ave closed (90/91?) they fell into the possession of an old timer at South Gyle, I’ve no idea why. He stuck them all in a filing cabinet and forgot about them, until folk heard he had possession of them and started asking for copies. Well, old Jimmy duly obliged, at a fiver a pop. 

I think I’ve still got mine somewhere. 

I was the only apprentice going back to the first photos in the early 1950s (I think) that was photographed wearing skin tight cammo breeks tucked into 12” docs. For some reason I was quite chuffed at that.