Falkirk v Hearts 30/1/88 Robbo question

Micky

8 minutes ago, Micky said:

Can anyone help, did Robbo break any records when he scored twice during the game versus Falkirk (30/1/88) ?

Vaguely recall that he hit the 100 League goal mark around then. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Edited by martoon

I’m pretty sure Robbo hit 100 league goals at East End Park a fortnight before this game. Don’t recall any record created against Falkirk. 

7 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

I’m pretty sure Robbo hit 100 league goals at East End Park a fortnight before this game. Don’t recall any record created against Falkirk. 

Aye, you're right. 4-0 win.

I think the Falkirk game mentioned was a cup tie we won 3-1.

queensferryjambo
9 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Definitely right for is 100th league goal being at Dunfermline.

Robbo's 100th competitive goal in all competitions was vs Falkirk 08/08/1987. Possibly what the OP is thinking about?

8 minutes ago, Candy said:

I've a vague memory of Robbo being sent off against them around that time due to the actions of a certain A Kidd esq.

Dead right. A. Kidd feigned that he'd been head-butted. 

A turgid 0-0.

SectionDJambo
48 minutes ago, CF11JamTart said:

Dead right. A. Kidd feigned that he'd been head-butted. 

A turgid 0-0.

The beginning of the end for the referee, Kevin O’Donnell, who pissed Wallace off big time over that decision and more against Celtic at Parkhead.

Wallace managed to cause such a stooshie that O’Donnell was taken out of refereeing in the Scottish league.

O’Donnell was a cheat, who had a habit of upsetting Hearts. A bit of a forerunner for Douglas MacDonald in the anti Hearts stakes.

1 hour ago, Shaggy2 said:

Definitely 100 goal mark at this game. Torrential rain and a 4 0 win. I think all 4 goals were in the second half.

18 hours ago, Candy said:

I've a vague memory of Robbo being sent off against them around that time due to the actions of a certain A Kidd esq.

Bumped into Robbo that night in the Rutland and he said when they next come to Tynecastle that wee Fecking ****** Kidd is getting it 😅

19 hours ago, Candy said:

That was in 1987, the week before the semi we lost to St Mirren with Robbo suspended. Happened right in front of me. Robbo and Kidd went face to face, no contact was made but Kidd hit the deck like Davie Provan in 83 and the ref bought it big time. Would probably be reversed if it happened today. 

Kidd was an extremely stupid (or brave) man to do that 20 yards from the Hearts support and its perhaps a surprise Brian Whittaker only had to hold one fan back as he made his way on to make his feelings known to Albert!

18 hours ago, JamTarts98 said:

Definitely 100 goal mark at this game. Torrential rain and a 4 0 win. I think all 4 goals were in the second half.

They were.

Over Christmas/New Year we'd pummelled Dundee, Morton and Hibs 0-0 in 3 straight games. Same story in the first half at EEP then, suddenly, the goals came back.

Cost us in the title race, sadly. We lost ground on Celtic and were never able to make it up.

Real pity. I still believe that season was the best I've ever seen Hearts play. Genuinely believed we could win the League but we never recovered from those goalless games. 

2 hours ago, martoon said:

They were.

Over Christmas/New Year we'd pummelled Dundee, Morton and Hibs 0-0 in 3 straight games. Same story in the first half at EEP then, suddenly, the goals came back.

Cost us in the title race, sadly. We lost ground on Celtic and were never able to make it up.

Real pity. I still believe that season was the best I've ever seen Hearts play. Genuinely believed we could win the League but we never recovered from those goalless games. 

Then we got another kick in the guts from sellik in the Scottish Cup Semi final. Thought it was in the bag...

Even so, the strength of our challenge for the league made it a memorable season.

2 hours ago, martoon said:

They were.

Also threw away points at Ibrox and blew a two goal lead at Parkhead (dodgy penalty got Celtic back into it). I'll need to look at London Hearts as I've forgotten some of that season.

4 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

That was in 1987, the week before the semi we lost to St Mirren with Robbo suspended. Happened right in front of me. Robbo and Kidd went face to face, no contact was made but Kidd hit the deck like Davie Provan in 83 and the ref bought it big time. Would probably be reversed if it happened today. 

Kidd was an extremely stupid (or brave) man to do that 20 yards from the Hearts support and its perhaps a surprise Brian Whittaker only had to hold one fan back as he made his way on to make his feelings known to Albert!

As an infrequent visitor to Scotland, this is the only Hearts away match I’ve been to.  If the dates match up, probably an international rugby weekend?  So my cousins took me to the Hearts match in Falkirk while my dad and his pals would’ve gone to Murrayfield.  

The train back was educational for a lad used to a couple of thousand at the Vetch Field watching Swansea. 

5 hours ago, JamTarts98 said:

Also threw away points at Ibrox and blew a two goal lead at Parkhead (dodgy penalty got Celtic back into it). I'll need to look at London Hearts as I've forgotten some of that season.

Still got a win one though at Ibrox that season. That was a cracking game. Both the games there were cracking games that season. 

On 12/01/2021 at 20:52, Shaggy2 said:

Was east end was pouring with rain i got soaked.