Life after Covid

Neil Dongcaster

Neil Dongcaster

What have you changed or reconsidered during lockdown? Do you have any big plans or fears for after we get a handle on the virus?

One thing I’ve noticed is how many things we are subscribed to that I actually don’t need or want. The only subscriptions I have left are Netflix, Prime and Audible. Sky got binned off for IPTV in around March.

We were paying £70 a month for a wine subscription and I stopped drinking over a year ago! My wife maybe has a bottle a eeek on average so it was utterly pointless. I think altogether we have saved around £3k a year on total shite.

I rent an office in town that I’ll be binning when our agreement is up in May. Everyone will be working from home and when we need to meet up we will hire out a room or a pub or something. I think offices are done the way we work has now changed.

Unfortunately I think we are in for a mammoth recession. We are down 40% in revenue, speaking to our partners they are essentially open open for Furlough. As soon as April comes they are shutting shop. Employees are receiving 80% of their salary and when the taxman comes looking for their money soon they will fine a lot of empty bank accounts.

Life is pretty much normal for me. I still go to work and I get overtime when I want, I did start my own barbers after the first lockdown but that was struggling so I went back to the buses in October and I'm lucky I did that because I would be screwed right now. I still cut hair on the side and have put my chair in a friends hairdressers so just do appointments on my days off. I have been saving a bit more money but I think that's because I don't really want anything. After covid I dont think much will change for me I will still be sat on a bus 50+hrs a week.

Physically working in an office won't be the norm for me, i'll be lucky to be in the office 1 or twice a fortnight. Also city living is done for for me, we'll be off to the sticks as soon as we can, big house, garden and gym in the garage. Once football is back that'll more or less be my only time for drinking with mates, last year has broken the cycle of needing to go to the pub for a general catch up.

Not a lot of change for me either. Got a baby on way but in terms of work everything continues as normal. However if passenger number don't pick up drastically after the vaccine roll out the company will no doubt have difficult decisions to make.

Will probably do three days in the office and two at home. Maybe they will just give us Friday's for free in this future world without CV19.

Not a lot change for me during lockdown so aiming to just go back to normal as soon as this is over.

Doctor FinnBarr

Not a lot will change for us, both us have worked through this shitstorm. Pre Covid I was only in the pub about once a month apart from matchdays. Had money in place to take daughter on hol for her last ever freebie (along with her partner and our 11 mth old grandaughter) but that was put on hold last year and most likely this year too, maybe better if the wee yin is a bit older when we can get her away.

I'll go home to see friends and family an awful lot more. It was always so easy to think 'next month' and the before you knew it, it had become an annual Christmas visit. After this it'll be at the very least once a quarter and I'll be spending 4 nights at home when I go thanks to the remote working set up we've got going on now.

Not taking those dear to me for granted anymore.

Don’t think a lot will change for me maybe I will think twice on things I potentially want to do or buy and just do them! I was good for doubting a decision and just leaving it . 

I am still working 40hrs a week but my work is dead and on furlough this week but I can see it getting even more quieter . The last year was meant to be a year to get the head down and focus on career and what I want to do I am 30 this year wanting something I will be in for the next 10 year + and that’s been pissed up the wall . Wouldn’t even think about applying for a job now or leaving just in case . 

like a previous post says above will never leave a match early again . 

Howdy Doody Jambo

Working and living at home sounds like a prison sentence and imagine couple's both doing that for years on end, that would drive me nuts, that would drive my wife nuts if I worked at home and she did,it's not best for the economy either, I suppose there may be more choice on how businesses operate in future, but I want atmosphere in pubs, universities full of students, office blocks full of worker's packed restaurants, people in shops, people talking and hugging each other when you're team scores a goal, high 5vs, full football stadiums, people should appreciate freedom more and enjoy life not be kept inside in fear 

No doubt unemployment will rocket then there will be more problems for everyone

The freedom alone when covid has been defeated is what I'm most looking forward to 

Going on a big fek off holiday to Mexico hopefully 🤣🤣 (likely be a good few years away). 
seriously though I’m 50 and planned to retire at 55 so hoping this shitshow doesn’t affect my private pension and by the time it comes around I can enjoy going away on trips etc.

obviously looking forward to seeing my folks and getting back to see mates at hearts games. 

33 minutes ago, Ma Roon said:

Working and living at home sounds like a prison sentence and imagine couple's both doing that for years on end, that would drive me nuts, that would drive my wife nuts if I worked at home and she did,it's not best for the economy either, I suppose there may be more choice on how businesses operate in future, but I want atmosphere in pubs, universities full of students, office blocks full of worker's packed restaurants, people in shops, people talking and hugging each other when you're team scores a goal, high 5vs, full football stadiums, people should appreciate freedom more and enjoy life not be kept inside in fear 

The freedom alone when covid has been defeated is what I'm most looking forward to 

working from home is murder. Not used to it before covid. And looks like it’s going to be the norm for me as company are seeing it works now. However I offset it with the fact I’m lucky to still have a job so am very grateful 

Edited by 1971fozzy

8 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Hopefully the practice of shaking hands dies a death now, other folk are minging!

That is gonna be the best thing out of this, Touching another guys hand knowing full well he used that hand to wipe his ass, hold his dick to piss and have a wank is filthy.

9 hours ago, Ma Roon said:

I'm in the lucky position that Mrs Ribble can't work from home, she's in care work so at least 3 days a week i'm in the house alone when working. If she was at home full time i'd have been fighting tooth and nail to get back to the office.

As for the office itself, I work in a team of 3 people, only one of which reports to me (for the time being), the other 1000+ folk that work in the same building have zero impact on my day to day workload as everyone I deal with is spread around the companies other locations (London, Munich, Milan and the US) so there really is no reason for me to be in the office other than to sit near some other people that don't impact my work. I'd much rather give up a crap canteen and the occasional laugh at the smoke shelter and have an extra 2/3 hours to myself and no travel costs.

A Boy Named Crow
1 hour ago, Herbert said:

That is gonna be the best thing out of this, Touching another guys hand knowing full well he used that hand to wipe his ass, hold his dick to piss and have a wank is filthy.

Not unrelated, I hope freely available hand sanitiser is here to stay too.  Perfect for recleaning your hands if you've had to touch the handle on the way out of the pub toilet!

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

Howdy Doody Jambo

These big trough male urinals in stadium's, pubs and club's should well be a thing of the past, thank goodness, nothing worse at half time and some drunken person wants to squeeze in between social distanced users, then disney wash there honds before shaking it with a mate at the new year's Derby 

1 hour ago, Herbert said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Practically everything. I cannot see how life before covid will ever get back to that sort of normality. Cruise ship industry is gone, catering business is gone. Small business owners are now non existant. Cafes, take away shops. 

Fishing indstury is gone. 

Brexit exports are being delayed also. 

Looking Likley to be a very deep long resession for the best part of this decade. 

Apologies for the negativity. 

17 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

working from home is murder. Not used to it before covid. And looks like it’s going to be the norm for me as company are seeing it works now. However I offset it with the fact I’m lucky to still have a job so am very grateful 

It's hard now for folk, but hopefully you'll get a bit of a social life back again as well to balance it up.

58 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Absolutely.

Always wanted to go to NYC to watch the Live From Here (formerly A Prairie Home Companion) radio show being performed live, and almost booked to fly in for just 24 hours to do so last winter. Put it off for a year...

Due to cutbacks forced by CV19, the show was cancelled in the summer, permanently.

Will definitely not wait to think twice about places I want to visit and things I want to do once the skies and seas open up again.

Yeah mate I am the worlds worst for pulling out or having ideas and thinking twice then deciding against it . Will never not think twice again . Me and my Mrs have made a list on places we want to see and travel too hope we can get a few of them ticked off when we are allowed to travel again.