A Hearts Legend

Kiwidoug

11 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Yes.  That was at the time Connery had announced his retirement from the James Bond role and Ronnie was being touted as his replacement.

What happemed?

21 hours ago, Sydney Devine said:

Correct - great memory.    14 September 1985 versus Dundee Utd.  Wee Ronnie and Sean Connery were guests of Wallace Mercer.  I sat just across the aisle from them that day.  

Think that was the first game after Jock Stein’s death. Very eerie and slightly unreal at a time when a minute’s silence was quite rare unlike now, 

queensferryjambo

Ronnie Corbett was interviewed in the Hearts Supporter magazine back in season 85/86.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy anymore but it was very good if I remember correctly he talks about going to watch Hearts in the 30s and 40s as a youth. Think he done military service at some point and obviously moved down South for his career but he still came to matches when he was home in Scotland.

I have a very vague memory of Ronnie mentioning his allegiance to Hearts on a chat show around 1980. Might have been Parkinson. He made a joke that he was using the term favourite "football" team loosely as we weren't much of one. 

We weren't.

Fascinating thread. Can’t add anything to it but it’s a great read. Them burds though 🤮

Edited by Boy Daniel

Francis Albert
On 11/01/2021 at 14:14, rubyruby said:

I met him,I was at Royal high from 1984-1990 & when I was in 4th yr he came to visit the school, I was 16 & taller than him 😆

It must have been a regular gig for him. In the mid 60s he visited the school before its move to Davidsons Mains and gave  a Q&A in the assembly hall. Must have been early in his career. I remember he spoke about Hearts and his cousin Jimmy Murray. It ended uneasily when some aspiring red top reporter asked him, given the reputation of showbiz people, about his sex life. He replied more politely than I would have done!

In terms of celebrity Hearts fans it's hard to think of a more famous one than Ronnie Corbett. During the 80s he really was a household name across the UK - and rightly so as he was a very talented comedy actor. 

The programme for the next home game after the Dundee Utd match included a picture of Ronnie Corbett & Sean Connery on the pitch IIRC.  Mine are in the loft and not in any order so may take ages to find, hopefully someone can confirm this. 

been here before
13 hours ago, hoof.hearted said:

The programme for the next home game after the Dundee Utd match included a picture of Ronnie Corbett & Sean Connery on the pitch IIRC.  Mine are in the loft and not in any order so may take ages to find, hopefully someone can confirm this. 

Can anyone confirm the programmes are indeed in the loft?