A Hearts Legend

Kiwidoug

I was just flicking through the channels and I saw an episode of Would I Lie to You which featured Ronnie Corbett.  It was just terrific to see him in that sort of setting.

I know this is probably more for the shed but I wondered if any of you have seen him at tynecastle or know any specific Hearts stuff about him.

Like many of my vintage, he was a massive favourite and any Hearts reminicences would be great.

Howdy Doody Jambo

There was a picture of him in 86 in full team kit when we were going for the premier league, I'm sure he was from the southside area 

I’ve nothing solid but I’ve got hazy visions of him being at Tynie in the 80s. Possibly during the 85-86 season as our hype grew?

54 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I was just flicking through the channels and I saw an episode of Would I Lie to You which featured Ronnie Corbett.  It was just terrific to see him in that sort of setting.

I know this is probably more for the shed but I wondered if any of you have seen him at tynecastle or know any specific Hearts stuff about him.

Like many of my vintage, he was a massive favourite and any Hearts reminicences would be great.

Feel pretty certain he was a guest of Ken Stott at a game when Corbett had a house in Gullane.  I have a few friends who lived in the village at that time and all say what a jovial but humble man he was. 

27 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Quizball? 

1 hour ago, Rab Mac52 said:

He was a pupil at the Royal High. Was he in our team for Quizball?

Eric Brown the Ryder Cup Golfer was our celeb in Quizball, Jim Cruikshank Alan Anderson and Donald Ford were his team mates 

27 minutes ago, One five said:

Does anyone else have pics of celebrities with our strip or scarf on ?

Did see a picture of The Bay City Rollers in Hearts and Hibs kits

18 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Eric Brown the Ryder Cup Golfer was our celeb in Quizball, Jim Cruikshank Alan Anderson and Donald Ford were his team mates 

We used to drink in Eric's pub in Dalry Road and I asked him once about Quizball. He said Cruickie could only answer racing questions - and we didn't get any! John Cairney (actor - played Rabbie Burns a lot) answered everything for Celtic though (dentist) Jim Craig was also good for them. For us another cup final "close but no cigar" event...

32 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Did see a picture of The Bay City Rollers in Hearts and Hibs kits

No mate only seen them in there tartan scarfs lol

3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Many years ago I saw him in the old centre stand sitting next to Sean Connery.

5 hours ago, Rab Mac52 said:

He was a pupil at the Royal High. Was he in our team for Quizball?

I met him,I was at Royal high from 1984-1990 & when I was in 4th yr he came to visit the school, I was 16 & taller than him 😆

Sydney Devine
3 hours ago, David Black said:

Correct - great memory.    14 September 1985 versus Dundee Utd.  Wee Ronnie and Sean Connery were guests of Wallace Mercer.  I sat just across the aisle from them that day.  

24 minutes ago, Sydney Devine said:

Correct - great memory.    14 September 1985 versus Dundee Utd.  Wee Ronnie and Sean Connery were guests of Wallace Mercer.  I sat just across the aisle from them that day.  

Thanks for that. I couldn't remember anything else.

48 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Please someone post that picture of the naked bursds with only a Hearts scarf to cover her modesty.

That would do 😜

8 hours ago, Ma Roon said:

There was a picture of him in 86 in full team kit when we were going for the premier league, I'm sure he was from the southside area 

Yeah from Marchmont.  His Dad was a regular at Warrender baths

6 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Was actually at one of the early games Dunfermline I think - Donald Ford was definitely the brains.

When I was involved with "The Hearts Supporter" mag/fanzine, I had the pleasure of interviewing Ronnie when he was staying at the North British Hotel (probably around 1984/85ish) and I can confirm he was a dyed in the wool Jambo although, as he pointed out, he didn't get much opportunity to see them live once his career took off. He always followed them though and knew all about the players when I spoke to him about the then current side in mid-Eighties. A wonderfully funny man, the interview that appeared in the mag didn't really do him justice. In fact, I wish I could lay my hands on a copy to recall exactly what was said!

His cousin was Jimmy Murray. Fred Ayre brought out a book many years ago when he spoke with a number of stars about their favourite team and match. Ronnie spoke about Hearts history, Tommy Walker and his favourite game - a Hearts 3-2 win over Hibs in the East of Scotland Shield.

4 hours ago, Sydney Devine said:

We won 2 0 ?👍

2 hours ago, jbee647 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Bay City Rollers taken at Heriot Watt , Riccarton I’m sure

22147C4E-5D8A-4A7A-9053-B08543C276C2.jpeg

‘Woody’ has just the right glaikit look to give credence to him being in a Hibs top.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

‘Woody’ has just the right glaikit look to give credence to him being in a Hibs top.

Woody's wee brother is a Jambo. I was at school with him for 5 years.

4 hours ago, One five said:

I’ll have the lady on the left you can have the lady in the middle and the **** on the right can GTF 

Is the one on the left not Kerry Katona? :sick:

Samuel Camazzola
27 minutes ago, Locky said:

Is the one on the left not Kerry Katona? :sick:

Yep. She's only one rung up the ladder from Jane Park which isn't a good thing. 

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Woody's wee brother is a Jambo. I was at school with him for 5 years.

I wasn’t referring to Stuart’s wee brother though, John.  I was referring to glaikit face from the ‘Rollers’.

I also wasn’t alluding to glaikit face’s allegiances, I was referring to the fact that his ‘look’ was appropriate to the football colours of the scum side of Edinburgh.  👍

6 hours ago, Scotland said:

EoJVWbVXEAEHnsH?format=jpg&name=large

The young lady, to the left of the shot, is very pretty.

In a rough sort of way.

The other two?  

Not so pretty, very rough though.

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Yep. She's only one rung up the ladder from Jane Park which isn't a good thing. 

So a bit of a dartboard then?

6 hours ago, One five said:

I’ll have the lady on the left you can have the lady in the middle and the **** on the right can GTF 

Pretty sure that's Atomic Kitten...

My Father went to Royal Highat the same time as Ronnie Corbett he used to tell a story of them running RC up th flag pole. No idea if this was true and it is now over 6 years too late to ask.

11 hours ago, David Black said:

Yes.  That was at the time Connery had announced his retirement from the James Bond role and Ronnie was being touted as his replacement.

14 hours ago, One five said:

Does anyone else have pics of celebrities with our strip or scarf on ?

Louise Minchin on BBC Breakfast?

20210111_235758.jpg

Apologies in advance.  I loved that jersey and wish I had bought it.  It looks sufficiently unlike a football jersey for my wife to let me wear it.

She thinks people my age who wear football shirts are pathetic old gits and I have to concede, some  but not all are.

luckyBatistuta
12 hours ago, One five said:

You sure🤔

6 hours ago, Morgan said:

In a rough sort of way.

The other two?  

Not so much now

AA969A46-B025-40A0-8F96-736EEB0D1D9C.jpeg

BEA5D43E-F051-45BA-A0C0-9640363C12C0.jpeg

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Morgan said:

In a rough sort of way.

The other two?  

The other two were on TV recently (one on the right featured in Masterchef) and are pretty and looking well. KC is as rough as oatcakes. 

scott herbertson

Ronnie was President of London Hearts Supporters Club back in the 80s - don't think he ever attended a meeting tho - Davy Allan could maybe confirm?