Underrated films

rudi must stay

4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

A huge tax bill apparently, he's having to take everything that he's offered, his latest "Jui Jitsu" looks like another pile of shite, some of his early were good, Wild at Heart was a great film.

Explains a lot. Doesn’t excuse his utterly tragic over acting in some of the films. One film I managed to get through was Grandiose (sp) 

He played some sort of creepy as **** husband but the over acting made what was meant to be a suspense film into something more comedy 😂 

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• John Findlay

• Dawnrazor

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Explains a lot. Doesn’t excuse his utterly tragic over acting in some of the films. One film I managed to get through was Grandiose (sp) 

He played some sort of creepy as **** husband but the over acting made what was meant to be a suspense film into something more comedy 😂 

I liked him in The Rock.

3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Season of the Witch was about the time I watched one of his films, I liked that one.

Samuel Camazzola
20 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Used to be a big fan of Nicholas Cage. 

His best particular films IMO 

Face/off, Lord of war and National Treasure (was brilliant in kick Ass as well)

however despite being in loads of films lately they are all utterly shite. Wtf happens to him?

Leaving Las Vegas and Raising Arizona are very good films if his. 

10 minutes ago, Cade said:

Iron Sky.

It's complete shite in the very best kind of way.

Best viewed with a few bevvies.

Love it. I went to watch it a few weeks ago and it’s not on Netflix or Amazon Prime anymore. Raging. 

JudyJudyJudy
15 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I'm thinking of another film. Where Cusack plays a psychopath who is in prison, whom Kidman falls for.

Sorry John I didn’t mean to write a rather blunt “ no “ reply I was actually going out when I messaged you so didn’t have time to look it up . I recall it’s a very odd film  with a dubious pissing scene in it 😂😂😂

JudyJudyJudy
16 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Never no. Seen it enough times its great, another Nolan film I really like is Insomnia 

Yes insomnia was great . Really creepy performance from robin Williams 

JudyJudyJudy
13 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

however despite being in loads of films lately they are all utterly shite. Wtf happens to him?

Yes I really like him too . He’s a really good actor and really awful too at times which is hard to accomplish ! I think he had just had hard luck in chosen crap roles . As well as a good action guy in films he plays the goofy type romantic nerd really well in films like “ moonstruck “ and “ Peggy sue got married “ 

JudyJudyJudy

“ Peggy sue got married “ is really underrated . It’s similar to “ back to the future “ Kathleen Turner gets hit on head and goes back to her teenage high school years . Then she has to decide whether she will married her high school sweetheart ( Nicola Cage) who she did ( but this time she may not ) as she knows he turns out to be a waster but a lovable one at that time . It’s a lovely film about what you would do if you went back in time and what would you change or not ? Very thighs provoking as well as funny . There’s a great moving scene when she meets her dead grand parents again . A great film 

Edited by JamesM48

John Findlay
14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Sorry John I didn’t mean to write a rather blunt “ no “ reply I was actually going out when I messaged you so didn’t have time to look it up . I recall it’s a very odd film  with a dubious pissing scene in it 😂😂😂

Not a problem.

rudi must stay
16 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Harry Brown. Good wee film where Michael Caine plays a vigilante on a housing estate after his friend is killed by yobs and takes revenge. Some good performances.

Great film 👍. Good to see it getting some praise

The Real Maroonblood
16 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Harry Brown. Good wee film where Michael Caine plays a vigilante on a housing estate after his friend is killed by yobs and takes revenge. Some good performances.

Decent film considering it was Caine who was the star.

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Decent film considering it was Caine who was the star.

I know what you mean. 😄

Late to this but I always thought U Turn (1997) was a hidden gem that not many people had heard of. Directed by Oliver Stone and with Sean Penn in the lead role, it’s the story of a small time hustler driving to Vegas to pay off Russian gangsters when his car breaks down in a small hick town in the Arizona desert. The townsfolk are a strange and dodgy bunch and everything starts going wrong almost immediately. It’s also got a great cast. 

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0120399/

19 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

You better steer clear of The History of swear words. :facepalm:

22 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

Me myself and Irene 

Amazingly funny film. One Jim Carey’s finest comedies. 

the first scene he changes into Hank is amazing. 

20 hours ago, Les Izemore said:

Late to this but I always thought U Turn (1997) was a hidden gem that not many people had heard of. Directed by Oliver Stone and with Sean Penn in the lead role, it’s the story of a small time hustler driving to Vegas to pay off Russian gangsters when his car breaks down in a small hick town in the Arizona desert. The townsfolk are a strange and dodgy bunch and everything starts going wrong almost immediately. It’s also got a great cast. 

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0120399/

Yeah seen this probably a few years after it came out, enjoyed it, good Morricone soundtrack too I think.

On 04/01/2021 at 22:36, JWL said:

Calibre. Film about a couple of guys that go shooting in the highlands then it all goes a bit Pete Tong.

Aye enjoyed this, been a few lads trips to the Highlands, never going shooting!

Wake in Fright is one of my fave films and underrated I feel.  Getting stuck in the middle of nowhere and hunting in the story too!

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0067541/?ref_=fn_al_tt_0

I P Knightley
On 05/01/2021 at 17:26, dougal said:

A couple of films which didn't seem to get much notice were The Accountant starring Ben Affleck and The Foreigner starring Jackie Chan. Never going to win any awards but good enjoyable action films. Think they were both on Netflix.

Seconded. I completely harmless action movie.

I have a soft spot for the film because I ended up attending the premiere of it in Leicester Square and managed to make a nuisance of myself on the red carpet, meeting Ben Affleck and Anna Kendrick and having a brief chat. I pointed out to them that I'm a real accountant so I was looking forward to a damn fine movie. The 6 foot 5 bouncer who I also had a chat with was a trainee accountant which, I think, was the lucky coincidence that stopped me from being thrown out into the night!

Greedy Jambo

Ava on netflix, get's 5.4/10 on IMDb so is underrated in my eyes. 

Easy watching action movie with a few decent actors thrown in. 

Doesn't drag on either. 

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Cracking old film this...Kevin Costner, Gene Hackman, Sean Young, Will Patton

6587C35E-B0E4-47A8-ABEE-D801CA0D0BA2.jpeg

Agreed very good thriller with a good twist. Jagged Edge is another.

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Agreed very good thriller with a good twist. Jagged Edge is another.

Spoiler

You’ve just ruined it🤣

On 06/01/2021 at 11:01, JamesM48 said:

“ Peggy sue got married “ is really underrated . It’s similar to “ back to the future “ Kathleen Turner gets hit on head and goes back to her teenage high school years . Then she has to decide whether she will married her high school sweetheart ( Nicola Cage) who she did ( but this time she may not ) as she knows he turns out to be a waster but a lovable one at that time . It’s a lovely film about what you would do if you went back in time and what would you change or not ? Very thighs provoking as well as funny . There’s a great moving scene when she meets her dead grand parents again . A great film 

:oohmatron:

Btw it's a ****ing disgrace that this was left more than 24 hours for me to highlight!

Another vote for The Castle just a funny, quotable and lovable film 🙂

I like Coen Brothers films and LOVED the Ballad of Buster Scruggs. 6 short Western tales, I quite happily watch and rewatch a tale or two.

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Cracking old film this...Kevin Costner, Gene Hackman, Sean Young, Will Patton

6587C35E-B0E4-47A8-ABEE-D801CA0D0BA2.jpeg

Enjoyed that film.

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

🤣

Spoiler

Uri lay blew it John🤣

Edited by luckyBatistuta

luckyBatistuta

Ok, the ending was pish, but ‘What Lies Beneath’ is a decent on the edge of your seat horror. More about what you don’t see and what might happen, than just blood and guts. Only got 6.6 on IMDB, but I think it’s slightly higher than that.

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, RobboM said:

:oohmatron:

Btw it's a ****ing disgrace that this was left more than 24 hours for me to highlight!

Another vote for The Castle just a funny, quotable and lovable film 🙂

I like Coen Brothers films and LOVED the Ballad of Buster Scruggs. 6 short Western tales, I quite happily watch and rewatch a tale or two.

lol never notice it. LOL yes Coen brothers are geniuses really.  

John Findlay

The long good Friday. Bob Hoskins as an East End villain who has upset the IRA. Helen Mirren plays his wife/ molly.

Two very familiar faces from TV and film right at the very end.

JudyJudyJudy
24 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Enjoyed that film.

Actually reminded of one of Hackmans other films which is very underrated. Him and Anne Archer in " Narrow Margin" 1990.   Its a really good thriller mainly set on a train. For some reason I love films set on  a train...they always seem to be quite. good

John Findlay
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Actually reminded of one of Hackmans other films which is very underrated. Him and Anne Archer in " Narrow Margin" 1990.   Its a really good thriller mainly set on a train. For some reason I love films set on  a train...they always seem to be quite. good

Agreed. Apart from undersiege 2.

Absolute Power with Hackman and Eastwood is an enjoyable thriller.

4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The long good Friday. Bob Hoskins as an East End villain who has upset the IRA. Helen Mirren plays his wife/ molly.

Two very familiar faces from TV and film right at the very end.

Bob Hoskins was a very good actor.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Agreed. Apart from undersiege 2.

Absolute Power with Hackman and Eastwood is an enjoyable thriller.

Hackman is one of my favorite actors. Great film career. Commanding presence on screen. 

luckyBatistuta
12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

You’ll like this then

E10102F4-9CA6-496F-B952-21ED0F041A30.jpeg

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You’ll like this then

E10102F4-9CA6-496F-B952-21ED0F041A30.jpeg

Might give it a try.  i like Liam Nesson. 

luckyBatistuta
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Might give it a try.  i like Liam Nesson. 

One of his better ones imo, watched it a couple of weeks ago. I’d already seen it, but it came on the tv and I ended up watching it all again and I’m not a big fan of his films.

The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Another good one.

Mississippi Burning was also excellent.

For Hackman fans there’s also The Quick And The Dead. Spaghetti style western where he plays a right shit. Good cast all round actually. 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Tazio said:

For Hackman fans there’s also The Quick And The Dead. Spaghetti style western where he plays a right shit. Good cast all round actually. 

I like most of his film.

24 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Very good film with a lot of good performances, I didn't realise it was directed by Sam Raimi and Joss Whedon had input to the script

John Findlay
44 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Another good one.

Mississippi Burning was also excellent.

Yup, good performances from Hackman, Defoe, and McDormand

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

One of his better ones imo, watched it a couple of weeks ago. I’d already seen it, but it came on the tv and I ended up watching it all again and I’m not a big fan of his films.

Yes he’s not bad but seems to play same parts now of vengeful dad lol