Scottish Referendum thread ( Merged )

Zlatanable

ri Alban
2 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I've got 45 mins left of my first day back at work. Talking to this lunatic passes the time. 

Here's a deep question

If you reckon someone's a (really shite) troll, and you choose to engage them in conversation regardless,  who is really trolling whom? 

He's easy. So easy that it's possible to push him over the edge and to jkb jail. But I won't as he's helped me pass the time and speak about my favourite, greatest and soon to be liberated from tyranny, country. The one and only Scotland. 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952314e8db3ac7a047402

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ainsley Harriott

• Pans Jambo

• Justin Z

• manaliveits105

Der Kaiser

There should be another referendum the day after the Queen dies......honour her passing sort of thing.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
4 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

You Scottish Nationalists are so touchy! Chill out, being so earnest and tightly wound can't be good for your long term health.

Someone as hysterical as you telling anyone to chill out = :rofl:

The issue isn't whether a referendum will be held or not, but rather will the Scottish people keek their breeks again or not.

Did the OP not start this exact thread a week or so ago? 

It’s almost as if writing that thread title gives them kicks and that they think it’ll sway enough votes against.

🤣

ri Alban
21 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952314e8db3ac7a047402

Hubz tried that one with zero success 

Scotland win the euros and independence in the same year. 

:yas:

Who gies a feck about Hibs. 

:fth:

To be fair, I prefer the lame provocateur thing to the wide eyed innocent routine, at least it's more honest. 

Ainsley Harriott
7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Well according to the GFA a treaty that was signed by Her Majesty's Government of the UK, it's 7 years. This September it will be 7 years since indyref, the only indyref Scotland has had in 314 years. 

Sorry about the threads, but for this to stop, that has to stop. That? Well just have read. 

As the interview yesterday with Boris got you all worked up? 

4 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

As the interview yesterday with Boris got you all worked up? 

Scotland being a subservient vassal state has me all worked up.

Harry Potter
7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Well according to the GFA a treaty that was signed by Her Majesty's Government of the UK, it's 7 years. This September it will be 7 years since indyref, the only indyref Scotland has had in 314 years. 

Sorry about the threads, but for this to stop, that has to stop. That? Well just have read. 

About 35 years, 

ri Alban
2 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

We need more Scottish independence referendums imo. 

Your wish is my command. 👍

::troll::

Just now, ri Alban said:

Your wish is my command. 👍

::troll::

I just read that you're partly responsible for the No vote. 

You're quite the influential figure eh?

ri Alban
Just now, Harry Potter said:

About 35 years, 

Grandparents, Parents, Children. That's 3 generations that can be achieved in Scotland in 35 years, no probs. :D

Harry Potter
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Grandparents, Parents, Children. That's 3 generations that can be achieved in Scotland in 35 years, no probs. :D

Had my son at 34, one generation, 2nd at 38.

ri Alban
6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I just read that you're partly responsible for the No vote. 

You're quite the influential figure eh?

Never really said a word pre independence, as i didn't think for a minute Scotland would shite the bed. 

Now, I don't give a shit what Scots born no voters think, Smithee. EU/UK no voters are irrelevant as they were voting on EU membership and UK mythology. So I don't hold a grudge, Scots born treachery, well... 

Edited by ri Alban
JamesM48

Even though I support independence I would say a generation is probably defined as about 25/ 30 years ? 

Ainsley Harriott
7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Scotland being a subservient vassal state has me all worked up.

Not at all we are a key part of the United Kingdom and The Tories will be running us for a long time yet. Don't let the Wee Pretendy Parliament tell you otherwise.

Greedy Jambo

It's about time we had another indy ref, aW tHe ScOtTiSh WaNs ArE aGaInSt Us!

ri Alban
3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Had my son at 34, one generation, 2nd at 38.

I was 14, 18 and 24 when my boys were born. Grandpa at 43.

2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Not at all we are a key part of the United Kingdom and The Tories will be running us for a long time yet. Don't let the Wee Pretendy Parliament tell you otherwise.

Mate keep that coming, you help my cause more than yours with that patter

5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Even though I support independence I would say a generation is probably defined as about 25/ 30 years ? 

Generally anywhere between 15-25 years is accepted but it's such a nonsense argument. 

The unionist side lied and bullshitted it's way through the whole thing, the ground littered with broken promises, yet to them a comment made by a couple of people is gospel because it suits. 

I dont GAF what sturgeon said, I want Scotland away from this toxic union.

9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I was 14, 18 and 24 when my boys were born. Grandpa at 43.

Did you not take the hint the first time?

:lol:

frankblack

Are aussie_h and the unionist posters having a competition about how many independence threads they can get on the first page of the Shed at once? 🤔

Samuel Camazzola

Based on the gap between Hibs' Scottish Cup wins, I'd round a generation to approx 40 years. 😄 

Are folk still obssessing about this daft wee throwaway comment in a single interview that was only used to underline the importance of the vote?

:rofl:

Tommy Brown

I've always thought a generation as 25 years.

But as @ri Alban has shown, it can be as little as 14 years in some cooncil schemes. :vrface:

14 years is probably pretty average in Dundee.

The whole "once in a generation" thing is a benefit to Nationalists.

Just about every politician agrees that there WILL be another vote after - an as yet undetermined  - period of time.

Had the phrase never been used the argument would be about having one at all, not when.

ri Alban
47 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Are aussie_h and the unionist posters having a competition about how many independence threads they can get on the first page of the Shed at once? 🤔

Yes. Blame the Z man. 

35 minutes ago, Cade said:

Are folk still obssessing about this daft wee throwaway comment in a single interview that was only used to underline the importance of the vote?

It was used more than a single throwaway comment

There will be another referendum when the people living in Scotland demand one.

Another SNP landslide in a few months will be one indicator.

Neil Dongcaster

I was completely on the fence about independence. Thinking about it now and I’m still unsure.

Why should the average person who is pretty comfortable and not that driven by the thought of Scottish independence vote for it?

Dirty Deeds

Forgetting politics,  i always thought a generation was 20 years.

Politically I would say a generation lasts as long as the government so:

Gen 1: Thatcher and Major

Gen 2: Blair and Brown 

Gen 3:Cameron,  May and Johnson 

As for the next Scottish independence referendum, I'd say it's in the Unionist interests to hold in sooner than later as more union supporters dying than reaching voting age. 

We should have a Referendum on whatever, whether that be Indy, EU membership, the Monarchy etc... if the people of that Country vote in a Government on the basis of having said referendum in their manifesto. That's what happens in a Democracy. 

Awbdy Oot
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Correct, it wasn't included in the Edinburgh agreement. It was a throwaway line just like the one Boris used about being dead in a ditch rather than agreeing a Brexit extension and Ruth Davidson saying we needed to say no to independence to stay in Europe, actually no, that was just a lie.

ri Alban
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Correct, it wasn't included in the Edinburgh agreement. It was a throwaway line just like the one Boris used about being dead in a ditch rather than agreeing a Brexit extension and Ruth Davidson saying we needed to say no to independence to stay in Europe, actually no, that was just a lie.

Mind when Ruth and Mundell said they'd resign if Northern Ireland got special treatment over Scotland after Brexit. Saying that I'm still waiting on the SNP to abolish the council tax and get us independence. 

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

It was used here by the Scottish Government 

https://www.gov.scot/publications/scotlands-future/

Lemongrab

I'm sure I remember Sturgeon saying the referendum was a once in a lifetime opportunity.  Was she referring to the lifetime of a Tasmanian tiger, or maybe a newt?

redjambo

I don't know why, but I have it in my mind that a generation is 25 years. That's a smokescreen though as there has been a definite and material change in the UK situation with Brexit and given that we voted against it in Scotland, that should trigger a re-assessment of the union.

Tommy Brown

I've voted for the idea of Independence all my days. I'm not a hard-liner, more a romantacist.

The Brexit vote totally surprised me, as usual Scotland voted entirely the opposite.

Does the Scottish electorate have the stomach for it all again, but reversing us back into Europe?

Severely doubt it.

8 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

39 years - Prime Minister has confirmed 

Pretending to believe anything that comes out of the mouth of that mendacious, intellectually limited hustler.

Please - keep 'em coming. You really are a tonic.

redjambo
3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I've voted for the idea of Independence all my days. I'm not a hard-liner, more a romantacist.

The Brexit vote totally surprised me, as usual Scotland voted entirely the opposite.

Does the Scottish electorate have the stomach for it all again, but reversing us back into Europe?

Severely doubt it.

I was previously against independence and voted No in the independence referendum. However I now have a vigour for independence simply because of the whole Brexit process and seeing petty English nationalism coming to the fore. I'm an internationalist and a European, and the UK is moving in the opposite direction. I don't know if there are many more like me out there but if there are then we might make a difference.

manaliveits105
9 minutes ago, Boof said:

Pretending to believe anything that comes out of the mouth of that mendacious, intellectually limited hustler.

Please - keep 'em coming. You really are a tonic.

I dont believe anything she says now - proven liar 

2 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

I dont believe anything she says now - proven liar 

'She'? Is Boris Johnson a woman now?

• davemclaren changed the title to Scottish Referendum thread ( Merged )