Celtic’s Dubai Trip - player covid positive ( merged )

His name is

Normally takes a while before things come back to bite you on the arse !!

Neil Lennon on Celtic’s controversial trip to Dubai as he insists 'it’s not a break'

The trip is a tad controversial given the global pandemic but Lennon sees it as essential business.

He said: “It’s not a break, it’s a training camp. It’s just a change of scenery. We just hope to come back refreshed and ready to go.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• Rogue Daddy

• John Findlay

42 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

Whatever they say about it,   it's a PR own goal.   Public opinion of this will be pretty scathing.   Tyson Fury posted a holiday pick from the States and was getting a hard time in the media today as it happens tone deaf blah blah).  As far as Celtic are concerned,   it's been a very poor decision and completely unnecessary too. 

I think it's part of their obsession with 10 in a row. 

It's because the Dubai trip has been seen as a key part of each of the last treble winning seasons. Maybe an element of superstition. 'If we don't go our run will be affected". 

Unbelievable for a club meant to be close to its communities. 

Edited by Mikey1874

1 minute ago, 22games nro said:

Neil Lennon on Celtic’s controversial trip to Dubai as he insists 'it’s not a break'

The trip is a tad controversial given the global pandemic but Lennon sees it as essential business.

He said: “It’s not a break, it’s a training camp. It’s just a change of scenery. We just hope to come back refreshed and ready to go.

WTF !!!  Pretty sure 95% of the population could do with a change of scenery right now ffs. Absolute arrogance and self entitlement right there. Absolute bellend. 

julienbrellier

To be honest nobody will be angrier than the Celtic fans surely. Can you imagine our players were doing this kind of shit mid way in the season during covid. we would probably be relegated again automatically. it is such a bad image and they should get slated for it or there should be some sort of repurcussions.

Nothing like going overboard

They are on a break which will incorporate rest and training (as long as the break is allowed under the current rules and regulations)

The failure of many to understand the importance of rest astounds me given the information out there.

There is never a fuss when you see Italian players for example having a couple of glasses of wine with a meal but see a glass of lager next to a Scottish player and its as if they have had 7 or 8 pints

Had they won on Saturday not a word would have been said but it does not suit the agenda the media wish to take after Celtic's defeat

On the public relations front it does not make good viewing but it is hardly a crime and this fake outrage by some on JKB  is just funny

This picture is a problem for Celtic though. Several football rules may have been broken. The comparison is the Aberdeen pub visit. Problem for SPFL too. 

IMG_20210104_004649.jpg

Update on the earlier picture. Good safe choice of location. 

Maybe the regular flights from Britain and South Africa the problem. 

IMG_20210104_005014.jpg

It's all part of their plan for 10 in a row...

Try to force the Scottish Government to stop professional sport then argue the leagues aren't far enough in to declare a champion and the leagues should be null and void this season.

I mean, that's more likely than them making up 19 points on Rangers.

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, number-16 said:

It's all part of their plan for 10 in a row...

Try to force the Scottish Government to stop professional sport then argue the leagues aren't far enough in to declare a champion and the leagues should be null and void this season.

I mean, that's more likely than them making up 19 points on Rangers.

I was thinking that earlier on 😃, even if Rangers are handed the title they can play the victim card AGAIN and the fans will lap it up. No way they’re making up that gap. 

2 hours ago, 7628mm said:

In Scotland you can have a few pints during this pandemic as long as it is done within the tier 4 rules.

Really , so all these pubs are shut because they can't be arsed ?

2 hours ago, CJGJ said:

The failure of many to understand the importance of rest astounds me given the information out there.

Rest is very important. Do you think travelling to the training ground, bussing to an airport, sitting around for a couple of hours, flying for 8 hours then another hour or two on a bus to reach their destination is relaxing? Same for the return.  Are you aware of the research regarding athletes and travel with regards to rest? You should be as there is plenty information out there. Have a look and educate yourself, you'll be even more astounded.

There were many other more suitable options they could have taken. But they decided on Dubai and flexed their muscles to get a fixture date changed. But you'll be fine with that too.

Unbelievable that the club thought taking the whole squad out of the country at a time like this.  

All it does is add more risk of infection amongst the group, and the chances of spreading it to their families on return is real. 

7 hours ago, CJGJ said:

They are on a break which will incorporate rest and training (as long as the break is allowed under the current rules and regulations)

There is never a fuss when you see Italian players for example having a couple of glasses of wine with a meal but see a glass of lager next to a Scottish player and its as if they have had 7 or 8 pints

Had they won on Saturday not a word would have been said but it does not suit the agenda the media wish to take after Celtic's defeat

On the public relations front it does not make good viewing but it is hardly a crime and this fake outrage by some on JKB  is just funny

Not sure up to 14 hours on a plane is particularly restful. 

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not sure up to 14 hours on a plane is particularly restful. 

Any idea if it was a private jet or an airline, because that’s not a bubble if it was the latter. 

8 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

100% bang on the money. On sunloungers drinking pints in the sun when it’s tier4 here. 
And remember their game was moved v Hibs because of this with nobody from the SPFL contacting Hibs. They were just telt. Obviously because  Lawwell as we know runs the SPFL

Hibs were contacted, and asked.  They declined the request, but were told tough.  

7 hours ago, 22games nro said:

Even if that were true, they can train in Glasgow, so hardly essential.   

i am working from home, and it would be like me flying out there with my laptop, and working from there instead (ignore the time difference).  

5 hours ago, JamTarts98 said:

Rest is very important. Do you think travelling to the training ground, bussing to an airport, sitting around for a couple of hours, flying for 8 hours then another hour or two on a bus to reach their destination is relaxing? Same for the return.  Are you aware of the research regarding athletes and travel with regards to rest? You should be as there is plenty information out there. Have a look and educate yourself, you'll be even more astounded.

There were many other more suitable options they could have taken. But they decided on Dubai and flexed their muscles to get a fixture date changed. But you'll be fine with that too.

There is also the fact Hibs had a game moved against their wishes, and which inconveniences them, to allow it to happen. 

5 hours ago, JamTarts98 said:

Agree, and in other breaking news: professional athletes in Scotland can rest and train effectively in Scotland. It's bizzare that foreign travel is okay right now when it's neither necessary or essential. Even if authorities allow this, its still irresponsible. 

Edited by Gmcjambo

7 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Thing is it’s not just JKB,

a quick look at most Celtic social media and forums  (not all green B.) shows exactly how fans who pay their hard earned money every week feel about this.

To say they are not happy about it is an understatement, yes there’s the losing the derby thing, but almost unanimously it’s the fact they are breaking COVID rules with other people not in their sporting bubble well within the social distancing rule.

and with all that putting the chances of catching COVID at a higher risk. Simple question is "why would you" !

if it’s rest they wanted , why didn’t they just go to lennoxtown or another complex closer to home.

and if it’s because of the cold and them wanting a different climate then turn on the indoor heating ! 

4175A72E-9224-4E9C-B8FF-A2A0925BEC40.jpeg

In Dubai they fold your towels into swans and carve ice blocks into angels. 
The pool attendant was asked to shape the umbrellas in the image of their current guests 😂

9765BC87-F6B0-4AA8-87DC-CEFDDD044B50.jpeg

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Who’s the sneaky **** with the camera? I hate Celtic but I hate folk like this more. 

There’s literally about 2 billion smartphones on the planet. The players and manager did this in full knowledge the public would see everything. They don’t give a **** is the message. 

willie wallace
56 minutes ago, Paolo said:

There is also the fact Hibs had a game moved against their wishes, and which inconveniences them, to allow it to happen. 

Yea.SPFL told Hibs as the rescheduled match fell on the same footballing weekend they would side with the home team.

Midloth_Iain
11 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Who’s the sneaky **** with the camera? I hate Celtic but I hate folk like this more. 

An average tax dodging blue nose business man who is pissed off that his chosen Dubai resort has been infected by the trhamps ...

21 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

I'm actually surprised the press haven't book into the same hotel waiting on a full HD photo opportunity

Just waiting on the exclusive Daily ****** and The Scum pictures taken by their photographers they will be better and an interview from an eyebrows joined Smelltic fan there moaning they are there too. 

Just worried how many points Doncaster will deduct from us for doctoring the bottle of popcorn teeth's factor dufflecoat. 

39 minutes ago, tamanov said:

In Dubai they fold your towels into swans and carve ice blocks into angels. 
The pool attendant was asked to shape the umbrellas in the image of their current guests 😂

9765BC87-F6B0-4AA8-87DC-CEFDDD044B50.jpeg

🤣🤣🤣

Maroon Sailor
9 hours ago, 22games nro said:

Ready to go for what ?

Europe ? Nope

League ? Nope

League Cup ? Nope

Completely unnecessary - just a holier than thou attitude.

11 hours ago, cocomac said:

What happens if the UAE gets added to the travel ban list? 

Fingers crossed.

highlandjambo3

This trip would have been organised a while back, on the basis of a “well done” nugget for catching up the other cheek and, a special pat on the back for Celtics outstanding victory on Saturday but, alas it’s all coming apart at the seams.........

I remember when we were pish and had our Christmas break/holiday cancelled.....that would have been Celtic’s better option but no......PR disaster looms and popcorn is ready.

John Findlay
16 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

However that's a bridge too far....

One of my favourite war films.

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Not the ten. The 9.79. It was never a valid 10.

The hilarious thing is the run gets forever remembered as Almost 9 in a row :lol: 

1 hour ago, Paolo said:

Even if that were true, they can train in Glasgow, so hardly essential.   

i am working from home, and it would be like me flying out there with my laptop, and working from there instead (ignore the time difference).  

I would suggest it is a bit more like you going out there to take part in a "Staff Training" programme (albeit remotely) for a few days which is in fact a wee holiday and a thank you for all your efforts while working from home last year. 

Taking this next bit from a Celtic perspective and in no way about your own performance. 

Whilst having been performing well in the 1st 3 months of last year you have, since starting to work from home, been an abject failure at your job and have only been sent out to Dubai as a way of your company giving it the BIG FINGERS up to the Scottish Government as the Company is bigger than anyone in Scotland and can do as they please as rules are only for the peasants and not the Elite which is what you are. 

John Findlay
18 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

That fecker Lennon is the only person I know with suntanned teeth.

Jaundiced teeth

20 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

So where 'can you have a few pints'?

There are pubs down Leith and likely elsewhere in Edinburgh that are open for carryouts generally at the weekends. 

In addition if you have a pint glass in your house it can be filled to the brim with alcohol of your choice and can be drunk at your leisure. You can even have more than 1 pint making that a few pints

37 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

After this blatant piss take by the clarty mob I'm almost tempted to say I would laugh my cock off if Hibs beat them.

However that's a bridge too far....

A draw will do 

9 hours ago, CJGJ said:

I would have thought that an 8 hour flight both ways over a week period and a time difference of 4 hours would probably negate most of the benefits of such a trip. I am surprised that more people don't understand that given the information out there.

I do not care one way or the other whether that effects their performance on the field but what annoys me, and no doubt many others, is the fact that whilst not breaking the law they are without doubt pushing the boundaries of what responsible behaviour should be during this pandemic.

We have seen many examples recently of countries being added at very short notice to the list that require quarantine on return. What would happen if Dubai were put on this list this week? Would that not have been deemed to be irresponsible behaviour in taking your complete workforce away when this could happen on your return? Would their opponents be given 3-0 results? I think you know the answer to that one.

Fake outrage, I think not, I have no time for their little pals across our city but I do believe it was outrageous that having asked them if they would rearrange their fixture and being told they would not the SPFL in their wisdom decided that they would impose this change to the benefit of Celtic to accommodate this trip.

Strangely enough the person I know who is genuinely most outraged by all of this is a Celtic season ticket holder. Fair to say I find his outrage to be most satisfying and if I can wind him up all the better.

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Spot on. 

Three of the guys in the picture are from the club's security team so I wouldn't be surprised if several others are associated with the club too. 

The UAE is (currently) on the exempt list and from speaking to folk over there on holiday, all airport and complex protocols are strictly adhered too. 

Maroonblood22

Dubai is far from 'dry' and there will be plenty of bevvying and contact with the public at that hotel, their 'bubble' is well and truly burst... again.

The SG and SPFL should be throwing the book at them for this and there's no way there games should be going ahead as normal when they return although we know how that will go.

Unknown user

Whether the UAE is on a list or not is irrelevant, there are strict protocols in place which allow football to go ahead in Scotland. St Mirren fell foul of them, so did Killie. 

I'd be interested to know what they entail and how these videos fit in.

highlandjambo3
8 minutes ago, Maroonblood22 said:

Dubai is far from 'dry' and there will be plenty of bevvying and contact with the public at that hotel, their 'bubble' is well and truly burst... again.

The SG and SPFL should be throwing the book at them for this and there's no way there games should be going ahead as normal when they return although we know how that will go.

I’ve been to “dry” countries or regions before, Kerela in India and, Brunei south east Asia.  Beer was regularly served (if you were European) in a tea pot with cups in full view of anyone & everyone, police/officials etc and....it was regularly accepted to be part of the normal everyday thing that a restaurant would do.  You don’t sell beer then your customer base falls away, less income, less local employment, economy weak etc........

It was often suggested that cash regularly changed hands between officials and restaurant owners.

Locals drinking however was a different scenario altogether.

south morocco
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Whether the UAE is on a list or not is irrelevant, there are strict protocols in place which allow football to go ahead in Scotland. St Mirren fell foul of them, so did Killie. 

I'd be interested to know what they entail and how these videos fit in.

Sweep sweep probably or a wee public slap on the wrist. 

Fozzyonthefence
15 minutes ago, Maroonblood22 said:

The SPFL are hardly going to throw the book at them when it was them that made Hibs move the game so Celtic could go on their little holiday.  Scandalous decision from the SPFL and the media should be asking who is running Scottish football - Doncaster or Lawwell?  Would Hibs have been allowed to move this fixture so they could do this while Celtic protested?  I think we know the answer.

• davemclaren changed the title to Celtic’s Dubai Trip - player covid positive ( merged )