• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Harry Potter

• The Real Maroonblood

• Tazio

henrysmithsgloves
2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Depends. If the Q is "Should I murder him and then parade his still be-jacketed body through the streets as a warning to others who might be thinking of buying the same thing?" then I'd probably plump for a strong 'yes'.

🤣

I’ve just done the “why is that arsehole in shorts?” thing as I needed to go to the supermarket and was lounging around the house in shorts and couldn’t be arsed putting jeans on. Bottom half shorts, socks, and trainers. Top half long sleeved t shirt, thick hoodie, and a Rab down jacket. All topped off by a Montreal Canadiens beanie I bought in Canada that is normally too warm for British weather. 
Admittedly only a 10 minute walk in either direction but it wasn’t that bad at all. Wouldn’t do it if there was any standing still for long periods involved though. 

Nucky Thompson
27 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I’ve just done the “why is that arsehole in shorts?” thing as I needed to go to the supermarket and was lounging around the house in shorts and couldn’t be arsed putting jeans on. Bottom half shorts, socks, and trainers. Top half long sleeved t shirt, thick hoodie, and a Rab down jacket. All topped off by a Montreal Canadiens beanie I bought in Canada that is normally too warm for British weather. 
Admittedly only a 10 minute walk in either direction but it wasn’t that bad at all. Wouldn’t do it if there was any standing still for long periods involved though. 

I'm all for wearing shorts and probably do for about 11 months of the year, but this is just far too cold

42 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's to get milder by the weekend. Thank God

Can't stand the cold 

12 degrees by Monday. :jambobanana:

31 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I don't mind the cold on my legs. I just fire shorts on to take the dug oot or go to the shop for whatever. It's just for a few minutes, I don't see the problem.

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I don't mind the cold on my legs. I just fire shorts on to take the dug oot or go to the shop for whatever. It's just for a few minutes, I don't see the problem.

I went for a coffee at work a couple of days ago and the guy at the coffee stall told me I was a nutter for wearing shorts (it’s hot in my work so I often change into shorts when I get there in the morning) oblivious to all the office girls in the queue in skirts. Same thing. Except I obviously wasn’t wearing tights. 

40 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Lounging in shorts? Today? Do you have the heating blasting all day long?

6 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Lounging in shorts? Today? Do you have the heating blasting all day long?

Nah, I’ve just learnt to get used to the house being a bit chilly and I can’t do the wearing joggers thing. 

henrysmithsgloves
4 hours ago, jonesy said:

Given his seal clubbing exploits, I'm sure @ArcticJambo wouldn't be averse to a bit of polar bear hunting, if you're a bit squeamish. 🐻‍❄️🦭

Must admit the polar bear looks awesome on a snowboard 🤣

12 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

-7 on Tuesday morning. Forecast for Monday? 11 degrees.

18 degree swing in the space of a week.

:wtf:

These temperature values are largely due to extremely cold air from the north.  It seems reasonable that a dramatic swing will happen if the weather systems lock that out.  

Monday and Tuesday morning you could feel a fairly gentle breeze that was bitterly cold.  Rarely to you get a gentle wind that has such a wind chill value.  

GTF any air from the north.

Not been much wind this week so despite it being so cold it hasn't felt too bad outside if you keep moving. Next week is warmer but windier so will probably feel colder.

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

These temperature values are largely due to extremely cold air from the north.  It seems reasonable that a dramatic swing will happen if the weather systems lock that out.  

Monday and Tuesday morning you could feel a fairly gentle breeze that was bitterly cold.  Rarely to you get a gentle wind that has such a wind chill value.  

GTF any air from the north.

Or the East.

3 hours ago, kila said:

Not been much wind this week so despite it being so cold it hasn't felt too bad outside if you keep moving. Next week is warmer but windier so will probably feel colder.

Nah, I'll take my chances with a 15mph South Westerly @ 12 degs thanks, no frost, back on the links...

Doctor FinnBarr

Its given Blackburn a decent covering overnight, on the plus side I only had to sweep the car instead of scraping when taking the wife to work.

Did spot one arse clearing his drive wearing shorts though.

On 13/12/2022 at 09:08, Maroon Sailor said:

Coldest place I've ever been was Mo i Rana

It was -20

Had to look that up because it sounds like somewhere in the South Pacific - Bora Bora or suchlike.   
Norway, ok!

I remember early January ‘82 it was minus 20-ish in Ft Wm.  It’s really unusual for it to get really cold there and it hardly ever snows.

Woke up to the garden covered again here in Niddrie. Went out to get the milk off the doorstep at 7 and it was just starting again but didn't last long. Was thinking it felt a lot milder the last day or 2 as well.

On 14/12/2022 at 18:30, kila said:

I actually much prefer it the way its been this week. The ice is a pain in the arse and all, but I don't actually mind the cold. It's the wet and windy weather I really can't be arsed with. I'd take a full winter of calm, low minus temperatures.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Locky said:

I actually much prefer it the way its been this week. The ice is a pain in the arse and all, but I don't actually mind the cold. It's the wet and windy weather I really can't be arsed with. I'd take a full winter of calm, low minus temperatures.

Totally agree.

Samuel Camazzola
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Nowhere near as cold as it was.  Some respite before going cold again soon.

Double digits on Monday. As high as 17c down south too. Big meltings coming! 

5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Totally agree.

Nothing worse than being in the town when it's pissing down and blowing a gale. Edinburgh can be a right pain in the arse for weather sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Double digits on Monday. As high as 17c down south too. Big meltings coming! 

And the return of golf🤞🙏

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Taffin said:

And the return of golf🤞🙏

Hope so 👍

Gradual thaw in East Lothian so far today so hopefully the links is open tomorrow 👍

25 minutes ago, Locky said:

A sunny, but cold, winter day with no wind is actually one of my favourite types of weather. And, yep, wet and windy is the absolute pits.

9 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

On Links, yes. Parkland will be far too soft. 

Usually good drainage on links, but not yet. Frost has penetrated deep into the soil, the melt has flooded parts of the course and is currently closed...:verymad:

21 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

On Links, yes. Parkland will be far too soft. 

11 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Hope so 👍

Gradual thaw in East Lothian so far today so hopefully the links is open tomorrow 👍

4 minutes ago, OBE said:

Usually good drainage on links, but not yet. Frost has penetrated deep into the soil, the melt has flooded parts of the course and is currently closed...:verymad:

I'm heading home (Edinburgh) Sunday for Christmas, I'll play absolutely anything next week to get out whilst I'm there 😂😂

Wet n windy, temps up, heating bill reduces, what's not to like?...Below zero sucks, glad it doesn't last long, change of wind direction is never far away...

19 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

A sunny, but cold, winter day with no wind is actually one of my favourite types of weather. And, yep, wet and windy is the absolute pits.

Same here. Yesterday was braw. Clear blue sky as far as the eye can see, and not a cloud in the sky. I sat at my window for a bit watching a plan in the distance that I could clearly see with its trail flying just north of Hexham, from Niddrie! 

29 minutes ago, OBE said:

Wet n windy, temps up, heating bill reduces, what's not to like?...Below zero sucks, glad it doesn't last long, change of wind direction is never far away...

I've spent a fortune on gas the last month. FORTUNE! About 12 quid a day+ ATM.

28 minutes ago, Locky said:

Same here. Yesterday was braw. Clear blue sky as far as the eye can see, and not a cloud in the sky. I sat at my window for a bit watching a plan in the distance that I could clearly see with its trail flying just north of Hexham, from Niddrie! 

I like it if it's during the holidays. It makes my job rather tricky.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I've spent a fortune on gas the last month. FORTUNE! About 12 quid a day+ ATM.

Snap!...Wednesday was -7 and over £12 for both gas n electricity, something ain't right. Both sets of Grandparents were not that well off, but they never had great expense heating their homes. On opening their front door, the heat was like a slap in the pus, both miners mind, back boiler central heating...🔥

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Saw loads of flights walking home yesterday, way more than usual. Love checking out where they are going on flight radar. 

Was watching 3 planes at one point yesterday all from my window while I had a fag. Was braw. The one way in the distance that I could see was coming in to Edinburgh from Amsterdam, but as I said, just north of Hexham in my line of sight. There was another a lot closer that I tracked from the Borders and flew right over, a cargo plane from Heathrow to Seattle, then to top it off a plane flying much lower in a straight line above my head coming to land at Edinburgh.

Oddly satisfying and fascinating.

henrysmithsgloves
7 hours ago, OBE said:

Snap!...Wednesday was -7 and over £12 for both gas n electricity, something ain't right. Both sets of Grandparents were not that well off, but they never had great expense heating their homes. On opening their front door, the heat was like a slap in the pus, both miners mind, back boiler central heating...🔥

Probably got a coal allowance,my old man got coal supplied and delivered free. I can't mind the exact amount though. I still have a back boiler on my duel fuel charnwood.. cosy 😁👍🏻

32 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Probably got a coal allowance,my old man got coal supplied and delivered free. I can't mind the exact amount though. I still have a back boiler on my duel fuel charnwood.. cosy 😁👍🏻

Aye, a coal allowance. Can remember my Grandfather asking me to count the bags being delivered if he was out or just make myself visible when the delivery took place, Ton at a time.

Dual fuel, cannae beat a real flame...

That's the change in the weather just starting now in the Borders, winds got up, banks of clouds rolling in from the South West and the start of the snow/sleet.  A few hours of this and warmer air follows behind it, good, fed up with the cold weather now.