Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Maroon Sailor

• davemclaren

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

been here before
7 minutes ago, Black Isle Jambo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The ground is next to the sea (more Baltic than Adriatic),but the bigger menace up there is hang gliders not seagulls.

026948D5-C9C8-4EF3-8B71-951A49A5F581.jpeg

Nightmare .

Samuel Camazzola
21 hours ago, JTJ said:

Craig Gordon said on Sportscene last night we'll need two hotels, as well as two buses! Personally I prefer Golspie to Brora but it's been a while since I've been to either.

The club will get a access to The Macdonald hotels in Aviemore with no Joe publics around. 👍 

Guess The Crowd
15 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

The club will get a access to The Macdonald hotels in Aviemore with no Joe publics around. 👍 

No, much closer to the ground than that. All in hand.

6 hours ago, jamboy1982 said:

This is the closed hearts game to my house in years! Just a ferry trip to Kirkwall, bud to stromness, ferry to scrabster and a bus to the pitch! 

Plastic jambo 🤣🤔😜 some off us have to sit in the no6 bus at the Corstorphine terminus for 10 minutes. No matter the weather outside.

Edited by TypoonJambo

been here before
47 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Plastic jambo 🤣🤔😜 some off us have to sit in the no6 bus at the Corstorphine terminus for 10 minutes. No matter the weather outside.

Sounds a nightmare journey. What are the roads like in winter?

Edited by been here before

Gobsmacking how some people see it as a journey to hell .brora are up and down that road every fortnight to places like fort William and Aberdeen without a moan we do it once in 50years and it's a problem  laughable

12 minutes ago, been here before said:

Sounds a nightmare journey. What are the roads like in winter?

Don't know,normally asleep by D Mains. I've got total faith in the bus drivers though.

If last season had played out to a finish there is a fair chance brora would have been in league 2 .that could have led to brora having trips on a Tuesday night to annan or Stranraer .now that's a journey you wouldn't want.

1 hour ago, Blackshades said:

If last season had played out to a finish there is a fair chance brora would have been in league 2 .that could have led to brora having trips on a Tuesday night to annan or Stranraer .now that's a journey you wouldn't want.

I imagine Stranraer will be cheering us on whenever our game with Brora is eventually played.......

11 hours ago, tian447 said:

Have you ever actually been to Brora?  It's hardly the back of beyond.

It's on the main A9 road, not some mental Colin McRae-esque dirt and gravel single-track, and it's just over an hour away from Inverness.  The scenery over the Cromarty and Dornoch Firth Bridges are worth the trip alone.

It's better than sitting in traffic on the M8 on our way to getting pumped in Glasgow, anyway. 

No way have i been to Brora. It’s too dangerous without an armed guide with all the Wolfe’s & Bears roaming around.

10 hours ago, kila said:

Who says the tie is taking place this winter anyway? :whistling:

It’s always winter up there in that wilderness.

9 hours ago, been here before said:

:rofl:

The Highland... the winter... "a dodgy road"...

THEY NEVER MAKE IT ALIIIIIIVE.

Nightmare.

#pray4theteam

There’s always danger in the highlands I fear. People disappear all the time on the way to Brora.

I see. Now that a few people have had their say, we've now decided that it was "patter" to begin with. 

:interehjrling:

been here before
7 hours ago, tian447 said:

I see. Now that a few people have had their say, we've now decided that it was "patter" to begin with. 

:interehjrling:

Im fully in the 'it was moronic slavering' camp.

• 3 weeks later...

Crisis talks are under way in an urgent bid to prevent the plug being pulled on this season’s Scottish Cup.

Record Sport understands emergency discussions have taken place over the last two days between the SFA and the SPFL as fears grow that fixture congestion caused by the ongoing coronavirus lockdown measures may mean the competition cannot be played to completion as scheduled, with this year’s final set for Hampden on May 8.

It’s expected that a final decision will be announced next week with a number of radical options currently being examined, including a ‘worst case scenario’ which would see this season’s competition being effectively abandoned for the time being and then re-started after the summer.

The entire third round fixture list had to be scrapped at the weekend as 12 second round ties have still to be played.

That pileup has left 44 teams still in the running for 32 remaining third round places.

But with all football below the top two divisions currently suspended - and with no agreed date in place for a potential restart - the situation is becoming desperate.

And with eight fourth round ties also scheduled to be played out before the end of this month to determine the line up for the quarter finals, a complete contingency overhaul of this season’s competition is now required.

This could include the creation of a ‘Scottish Cup festival of football’, with as many as three rounds of matches being crammed into a ten day window ahead of the planned semi final dates on April 10 and 11.

But such a plan could only be rubber-stamped if enough room can be made in the fixture list for all league matches to put on pause, in order for the cup matches to catch up.

Emergency Scottish Cup crisis talks under way as ‘worst case scenario’ option considered - Daily Record

Edited by CJGJ

27 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Crisis talks are under way in an urgent bid to prevent the plug being pulled on this season’s Scottish Cup.

Record Sport understands emergency discussions have taken place over the last two days between the SFA and the SPFL as fears grow that fixture congestion caused by the ongoing coronavirus lockdown measures may mean the competition cannot be played to completion as scheduled, with this year’s final set for Hampden on May 8.

It’s expected that a final decision will be announced next week with a number of radical options currently being examined, including a ‘worst case scenario’ which would see this season’s competition being effectively abandoned for the time being and then re-started after the summer.

The entire third round fixture list had to be scrapped at the weekend as 12 second round ties have still to be played.

That pileup has left 44 teams still in the running for 32 remaining third round places.

But with all football below the top two divisions currently suspended - and with no agreed date in place for a potential restart - the situation is becoming desperate.

And with eight fourth round ties also scheduled to be played out before the end of this month to determine the line up for the quarter finals, a complete contingency overhaul of this season’s competition is now required.

This could include the creation of a ‘Scottish Cup festival of football’, with as many as three rounds of matches being crammed into a ten day window ahead of the planned semi final dates on April 10 and 11.

But such a plan could only be rubber-stamped if enough room can be made in the fixture list for all league matches to put on pause, in order for the cup matches to catch up.

Emergency Scottish Cup crisis talks under way as ‘worst case scenario’ option considered - Daily Record

Interesting times. 

It would be a tragedy if Celtic were denied the opportunity to win their 94th scottish cuo in a row.

An absolute tragedy.

"Let's just move the fixture pile up to next season, to solve the fixture pile up this season".

Solid.

On 14/01/2021 at 00:30, mitch41 said:

No way have i been to Brora. It’s too dangerous without an armed guide with all the Wolfe’s & Bears roaming around.

It's Rob Roy MacGregor you have to worry about or the "Belter folk."

highlandjambo3
On 13/01/2021 at 12:38, mitch41 said:

In the Highlands in winter and on a dodgy road YES it’s possible a bus might not even get there.

Road to Brora is the A9, it will be clear.  

See the thing is, snow/ice is predicted up here every year (strangely enough) and, we often sit back and watch the news every winter as most of the UK goes into meltdown with this strange cold white stuff bringing our country to a halt.

The pitch at Brora has a slight (massive) slope at one side and, the wall around the pitch is only about 4foot high.....you could see the game from the main road.......under soil heating......Nah......you need electricity for that 😁

Believe there is an another proposal that would mean all teams below championship being offered third round prize money if they withdraw now meaning a much smaller fixture list to get the cup finished. Also means the lower leagues have more time to complete their league fixtures after the suspension. 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

Believe there is an another proposal that would mean all teams below championship being offered third round prize money if they withdraw now meaning a much smaller fixture list to get the cup finished. Also means the lower leagues have more time to complete their league fixtures after the suspension. 

That sounds fair not hope we vote against that.

22 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

In that case it should just be scrapped for this season. It’s the Scottish cup so either all teams participate or none at all 

2 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

In that case it should just be scrapped for this season. It’s the Scottish cup so either all teams participate or none at all 

Commercial cost to that so I imagine that will be the very last option considered. 

Maroon Sailor

For the sake of one day they should have completed the last round before suspending the competition.

SectionDJambo

The Scottish Cup is Celtic's last chance for a trophy this season. Can't see Lawwell being happy about going out without some kind of trophy.

Maybe they'll claim it as they've won the last 4, one of those during this season? 

The Treasurer

If, as is likely, that this season's Scottish Cup is scrapped, it will prove beyond any doubt that sellik forced last seasons competition to be completed just in order for them to get their precious treble 

Niemi’s gloves

I may be wrong but aren’t the cup winners this season scheduled to go into a fairly late preliminary  round of the Europa League (the one before the League stage?) with third and fourth in the League destined for the new diddy Euro competition. I suspect Aberdeen and Hibs will be keen for the cup to be scrapped to maximise their chance of Europa League football.

Niemi’s gloves
39 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

I may be wrong but aren’t the cup winners this season scheduled to go into a fairly late preliminary  round of the Europa League (the one before the League stage?) with third and fourth in the League destined for the new diddy Euro competition. I suspect Aberdeen and Hibs will be keen for the cup to be scrapped to maximise their chance of Europa League football.

Just had a look at this a bit further. Scotland were ranked #14 at the end of last seasons club rankings and that’s what determines entries to the 21/22 Euro competitions. So based on this season’s outturns in domestic football, entries for 21/22 in Europe are:

Scottish premier winners (Rangers?) go into the Champions League 3rd qualifying round, champions path

Scottish premier runners up (Celtic?) go into the CL 2nd qualifying round, league path

Scottish cup winners (could be us!!) go into the Europa League play off round. The winners of the play off round ties go into the leagues stage of the Europa League and even the losers are guaranteed a place in the Conference league stage. 

By contrast Scottish premier league 3rd and 4th go into the 2nd qualifying round of the new Europa Conference and will have to win three ties to reach the league stage of that competition.

So if I’ve got this right, winning the Scottish Cup this year could be much better than finishing 3rd in the premier league from a Euro point of view

(

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

• 3 weeks later...
been here before
4 minutes ago, GYL said:

Will the Cup be played out this year? Still no plans for L1/2 to resume? 

No one knows.

You could email the SFA re the cup and the SPFL (I think) re the leagues.

Give us a shout when you know 👍

Edited by been here before

6 minutes ago, been here before said:

No one knows.

You could email the SFA re the cup and the SPFL (I think) re the leagues.

Give us a shout when you know 👍

If emailing anyone then surely it should be directed to Celtic? 

Some sort of announcement must be due soon regarding plans for the cup and lower leagues. If nothing was happening I'd expect Partick to have been vocal given they were not happy about the initial suspension of play.

Just now, Hungry hippo said:

Some sort of announcement must be due soon regarding plans for the cup and lower leagues. If nothing was happening I'd expect Partick to have been vocal given they were not happy about the initial suspension of play.

I also think Hearts know leagues will resume, hence the reluctance to recall Cammy Logan as cover for Smith.

5 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

wasn't there a meeting between the L1+2 clubs and the sfa/spfl yesterday or the day before?

3 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

I also think Hearts know leagues will resume, hence the reluctance to recall Cammy Logan as cover for Smith.

There's no reason the lower Leagues can't play during the summer. None of their players will be involved in the Euros. That way they'll know (relegation & promotion) what League's they'll be in the start of next season. 

As for the Scottish Cup....i have no idea what the erses at the SFA will do. Should've heard something by now.

4 minutes ago, jambonian said:

There's no reason the lower Leagues can't play during the summer. None of their players will be involved in the Euros. That way they'll know (relegation & promotion) what League's they'll be in the start of next season. 

As for the Scottish Cup....i have no idea what the erses at the SFA will do. Should've heard something by now.

The JRG will have a cunning plan. 

14 minutes ago, jambonian said:

my thoughts too. Summer should see them complete their leagues

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Best to scrap it for this season. 

37 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The JRG will have a cunning plan. 

I fear that the JRG’s cunning plan for the cup will involve delaying it long enough once again so that there is no possibility of the winner qualifying for Europe. Potentially handing Hibs a place in the Europa League at an advanced stage, only one tie away from the league stage (and with the consolation of a place in the league stage of the new European Conference if they lose that tie)

1 hour ago, jambonian said:

I've been saying this for weeks. The only stumbling block is any player contracts that expire on 30 June potentially leaving a club with some missing players but that's in the hands of the clubs/SFA to fix anyway. 

Summer fitba'...yiss !

There is a meeting with the spfl at 5 with league 1 and 2 clubs. The main issue is that for the season has to end by end of April so the play offs can take place especially that the championship will end then

Edited by Newton51