• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Maroon Sailor

• davemclaren

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Shanks said no

Camelon match report from Saturday

Boxing Day 2020. The day when Camelon Juniors FC would make their first ever appearance in the first round of the Scottish Cup.  The stage was set for an exciting tie at Carmuirs Park against Highland League Champions Brora Rangers.

Early in the morning, some of the clubs' volunteers arrived at the Park to get the pitch ready. All looked good and an inspection passed it fit for playing so Brora set off on their journey.

A couple of hours later, Storm Bella made its presence known and, with the help of a few extra volunteers, a mix of sponge rolling, forking, sand spreading and scarifying took place to try to keep the pitch playable.

By the time Brora arrived we seemed to be fighting a losing battle as the rain was relentless. But the referee deemed it playable and both teams made their final preparations.

Just before kick off, the ref spoke again with both managers to discuss options. Both were happy to start the match but the ref made it clear he would abandon the game should there be a player safety issue. Regardless of the score at that time, he would bring it to a premature end and we would go again another day. This was agreed to and the match began.

Both teams started well and from the pace of the game, it seemed the players might have believed if they played fast then the match would be over quicker! There were chances at both ends with great saves from both 'keepers.

However the rain kept falling and it became clear this match wasn't going to go the distance. As the half time whistle was blown with the score still level at 0-0, the ref once again called both managers together and the collective decision was made to abandon the match due to the persistent rain and strong winds.

The rescheduled tie is currently set for this Wednesday, 30 December, at Carmuirs Park with a 7.30pm kick off. This is of course subject to the festive weather! It will once again be live streamed for £5 via www.camelonjuniors.co.uk/ppv but anyone who paid on Saturday for the first attempt at the tie will automatically get access to the match without having to pay again. Thanks to everyone for sticking with us and lending your support in many different ways.

13 minutes ago, R1874 said:

Literally never heard of Camelon 

Arthur Montfort used to call it Camelon (akin to Camelot), Northside of Falkirk.

Carl Fredrickson
16 minutes ago, Smack said:

Camelon used to have one of the better pitches in the juniors, but that information is at least a decade old. 

Try sailing that longboat up the Union Canal 😂 

I used to watch a lot of junior games in the 90s and their pitch was amazing. IIRC it was looked after by the Falkirk FC groundstaff as they played their reserve games there. The pies were excellent too......

1 minute ago, Flimsy said:

Brora did well in the League Cup. I think they will be League One standard.

Robbed of their chance of a promotion playoff last season by the Brechin chairman being on the SPFL board.

Just now, Tommy Brown said:

Arthur Montfort used to call it Camelon (akin to Camelot), Northside of Falkirk.

As does the automated ScotRail voice.

Locals (neds) know it as Kemlin though.

1 minute ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

I used to watch a lot of junior games in the 90s and their pitch was amazing. IIRC it was looked after by the Falkirk FC groundstaff as they played their reserve games there. The pies were excellent too......

The wave machine at the mariner centre!

1 minute ago, Gone said:

As does the automated ScotRail voice.

Locals (neds) know it as Kemlin though.

:lol:

I'm too posh to know how a public transport tannoy system would pronounce it.

Used to work in Larbert in the early 90s.

Not heard Kemlin being used since.

:thumbsup:

Maroon Sailor
5 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

A clear step up from the Vermin however lol

He's easy to deal with - just keep him off his right. He can't hit it for toffee with his left foot

Edited by Maroon Sailor

5 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

:lol:

I'm too posh to know how a public transport tannoy system would pronounce it.

Used to work in Larbert in the early 90s.

Not heard Kemlin being used since.

:thumbsup:

One of the best things I've ever heard was a German say Larbert

Looking at London Heartswe have never played against Brora.

Just hope we can afford to go up there.

IMG_20201228_201109.jpg

Edit:

You'll have to trust me, the team above Broxburn was British Columbia All-Stars:thumbsup:

Edited by Tommy Brown

49 minutes ago, Smack said:

Camelon used to have one of the better pitches in the juniors, but that information is at least a decade old. 

The Mariners? Its next to a canal

Footballfirst

I think that only one game in R2 will be covered live (on BBC Scotland).  While the Hearts game would be an attractive option for TV, they will probably opt for Morton v Dunfermline as the tie of the round.

Footballfirst
55 minutes ago, Smack said:

Wrong canal. The park is next to the Forth & Clyde Canal.  The Union canal joins it at the Falkirk Wheel, the best part of a mile to the west.

millerjames398

Hope camelon do it. it's a 5 minute walk along the canal from my house, with some decent views of the pitch from the path..could also run the risk of gettin my arse booted by the Y-Mob, so maybe give it a miss😂🇱🇻

1 hour ago, baddab said:

Better hope it's Camelon getting to Brora is a nightmare a 5hr  trip you can be in most of Europe quicker

We could fly to Wick or Inverness then its only an hour on a coach.

Would prefer we faced camelon tbh! As others have said brora is in the middle of nowhere and its a potential banana skin tie, happyish with the draw though, I would fancy us to be in the next round no matter which one we get.

2 hours ago, R1874 said:

Literally never heard of Camelon 

Saw Musselburgh beat them 3-2 in a cup tie last year.

36 minutes ago, happyjam said:

We could fly to Wick or Inverness then its only an hour on a coach.

With social distancing, wouldn't we need about 8 planes to into fly to Wick?

51 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Brora v Hearts would be tie of the round. 

On TV surely?

Maroon Sailor

At 28 I was wondering why Simon Murray finds himself at Queen's Park - but after that miss when he goes round the keeper, has all the time in the world to put it in the net, and he takes his time but still smashes it against the bar, it's no surprise

• davemclaren changed the title to Scottish Cup draw - Brora away