George Blake dead

Shanks said no

Shanks said no

Passed away in Moscow age 98. Possibly responsible for over 40 fellow spies dying and sentenced to a then record 42 year term.

Before my time but what little I have read today paints an extraordinary life. I am particularly interested in how he was allowed to escape from prison and Vanessa Redgrave’s husband funding it. Any older / more knowledgeable posters who can shed any light?

11 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Nonsense. 

Oh well, that’s changed my mind.

Was still convicted of spying for a potential enemy though.

And he himself claimed to have betrayed more than 500 western agents.

Edited by FWJ

Governor Tarkin
58 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Oh well, that’s changed my mind.

Was still convicted of spying for a potential enemy though.

And he himself claimed to have betrayed more than 500 western agents.

His stated motives for defecting are something I have a lot of sympathy with, if there is any truth to it, but a traitor is a traitor and he should have been shot.

7 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Passed away in Moscow age 98. Possibly responsible for over 40 fellow spies dying and sentenced to a then record 42 year term.

Before my time but what little I have read today paints an extraordinary life. I am particularly interested in how he was allowed to escape from prison and Vanessa Redgrave’s husband funding it. Any older / more knowledgeable posters who can shed any light?

Just watched a show called Inside Wormwood Scrubs a few days ago and his escape and subsequent travel to the East/West German border was discussed in detail. Must've been either Channel 4 or 5 on demand. The old guy who was interviewed seemed a bit of a professional troublemaker. 

Shanks said no
Just now, CostaJambo said:

Just watched a show called Inside Wormwood Scrubs a few days ago and his escape and subsequent travel to the East/West German border was discussed in detail. Must've been either Channel 4 or 5 on demand. The old guy who was interviewed seemed a bit of a professional troublemaker. 

Cheers Costa, will look that up.

Traitor, betrayer, abuser of trust and facilitator of the deaths of dozens of colleagues. Had a far longer life than he deserved. Good riddance.

Weakened Offender
15 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

His stated motives for defecting are something I have a lot of sympathy with, if there is any truth to it, but a traitor is a traitor and he should have been shot.

Britain is governed by 'traitors' now. People like Blake had more about them than any of those rats. 

Edited by Weakened Offender

SectionDJambo

If the roles had been reversed, in other words he was a Russian caught spying for the UK, he wouldn’t have lived long enough to escape from prison. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

Britain is governed by 'traitors' now.

I'd have a few of them offed as well tbf.

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

Britain is governed by 'traitors' now. People like Blake had more about them than any of those rats. 

Aye, the Russians are a lovely bunch. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

Is that in the same spirit as the SNP backing the Nazis?