Davie Irons, Falkirk Herald, The Scotsman reporting Hearts never respected Celtic.......

queensferryjambo

On 22/12/2020 at 00:15, sirwalter said:

Did John Fairgrieve write for "The Scotsman" or are you thinking of John Rafferty?

Yes sorry and thanks, I am thinking of the late great football reporter, John Rafferty. John Fairgrieve was the Hearts supporting football reporter who worked with the Mail. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gorgie Boot boy

• Nookie Bear

• davemclaren

• queensferryjambo

On 22/12/2020 at 17:44, Jamhammer said:

To be fair to Davie Irons he was great in Brideshead Revisited 

You’re getting mixed up. Davie Irons has never done anything of note and never will, hence his attention seeking behaviour. 😀

Edited by GinRummy

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
1 hour ago, Independence said:

Yes sorry and thanks, I am thinking of the late great football reporter, John Rafferty. John Fairgrieve was the Hearts supporting football reporter who worked with the Mail. 

Both very fine journalists, their quality of writing and sense of fair play sadly lacking now.  I have John Rafferty's "One Hundred years of Scottish football" sitting on the shelf beside Bob Cramsey's history of the Scottish Football League "The First One Hundred Years", along with Albert Mackie's "The Hearts".  All three are way beyond the abilities of any football hack writing today.  There's good writing around, certainly, but very little of it in Scotland.

Pish like this has been going on for years. I remember the Federation of Hearts Supporters Club asking them if they would care to attend a meeting to discuss the matter which they all declined (including Fairgrieve who also wrote a lot of crap half the time). Only exception was Alex Cameron (I think) who demanded a fee for appearing!

Strangely enough no meeting was ever held.

Gorgie Boot boy
6 minutes ago, Groatallar said:

Pish like this has been going on for years. I remember the Federation of Hearts Supporters Club asking them if they would care to attend a meeting to discuss the matter which they all declined (including Fairgrieve who also wrote a lot of crap half the time). Only exception was Alex Cameron (I think) who demanded a fee for appearing!

Strangely enough no meeting was ever held.

Was Steven Killy Kilgour involved in this ?

I can't remember. This happened in the early 80's and the only names I can recall are Alex Jones and John Frame both Danderhall Hearts Supporters club.

It was a bit crazy in they days as Hearts were a basket case as they were both skint and crap and often had the begging bowl out to the Fed. As a result the Hearts Federation seemed to be closely in the know with things happening as we were always being invited to Tynecastle for drinks before being asked for sponsorship. 

Gorgie Boot boy
7 minutes ago, Groatallar said:

I can't remember. This happened in the early 80's and the only names I can recall are Alex Jones and John Frame both Danderhall Hearts Supporters club.

It was a bit crazy in they days as Hearts were a basket case as they were both skint and crap and often had the begging bowl out to the Fed. As a result the Hearts Federation seemed to be closely in the know with things happening as we were always being invited to Tynecastle for drinks before being asked for sponsorship. 

Maybe not then, we were naughty.

The lad did get involved later on .

Not spoke to him in years, i remember he was capable of rage though.

Great Jambo.

Edited by Gorgie Boot boy

Doctor FinnBarr
8 hours ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

Was Steven Killy Kilgour involved in this ?

Don't imagine so as he was a member of Blackburn/Whitburn Hearts at the time and there was me and another guy attending Fed meetings as reps.

Gorgie Boot boy
37 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Don't imagine so as he was a member of Blackburn/Whitburn Hearts at the time and there was me and another guy attending Fed meetings as reps.

I know him from those days, Livingston and district Hearts supporters club.

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Gorgie Boot boy said:

I know him from those days, Livingston and district Hearts supporters club.

Hmm, I'm struggling now, was the Livi bus the one that ran from Craigshill?

With the likes of Pendy on it?

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

Hoping my wee team, Preston Athletic, can cause a huge upset today and **** Davie Irons’ football career once and for all. 

They’ve beaten Stenhousemuir before, but it’ll be a lot tougher today as the last one was on a muddy Pennypit. A 17 year old Temps played that day.

Come on The Panners!

Edited by Shaggy2

Gorgie Boot boy
6 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Hmm, I'm struggling now, was the Livi bus the one that ran from Craigshill?

With the likes of Pendy on it?

Yeah , bill hunter Haggis Halo Chico.

On 21/12/2020 at 22:43, Nookie Bear said:

Ah, this is the guy from the Terrace podcast.

I don’t know what’s worse: Irons lying, the Falkirk paper giving him bandwidth, the Scotsman picking it up and asking Fowler to write a piece about it, or Fowler going ahead without checking. 

Absolutely. 👍   

This ridiculous episode epitomises just how pathetic the Scottish football goldfish bowl is.   So Fowler's excuse is that he was asked by the Sports editor to make an article out of something being reported in another paper ? Which implies that Fowler wasn't at Hampden (or if he was, he  didn't hang around for the presentation) ..... same with any other Scotsman journo.      

It's laughable seeing these editor requests at the end of online articles for you to take out a subscription to "keep local journalism alive".    Sad to say, but Aidan Smith is a better and fairer football writer than any of the View from the Terrace guys.

part_time_jambo
4 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Absolutely. 👍   

This ridiculous episode epitomises just how pathetic the Scottish football goldfish bowl is.   So Fowler's excuse is that he was asked by the Sports editor to make an article out of something being reported in another paper ? Which implies that Fowler wasn't at Hampden (or if he was, he  didn't hang around for the presentation) ..... same with any other Scotsman journo.      

It's laughable seeing these editor requests at the end of online articles for you to take out a subscription to "keep local journalism alive".    Sad to say, but Aidan Smith is a better and fairer football writer than any of the View from the Terrace guys.

The same Aiden Smith that wrote an article recently gloating about Hibs beating Hearts in a 5 a side game?

6 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

The same Aiden Smith that wrote an article recently gloating about Hibs beating Hearts in a 5 a side game?

Aidan Smith is a “journalist” almost on a par with Chic Young FFS. Absolute vermin shitebag to the core

Weakened Offender
3 hours ago, HMFC 86 said:

Aidan Smith is a “journalist” almost on a par with Chic Young FFS. Absolute vermin shitebag to the core

Aidan Smith is an absolute welt of a man and a hawker of utter drivel. If anyone thinks his printed word is worth reading then they probably can't read properly. 

3 hours ago, HMFC 86 said:

29 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Aidan Smith is an absolute welt of a man and a hawker of utter drivel. If anyone thinks his printed word is worth reading then they probably can't read properly. 

A shitehawk, if you will...   :thumbsup:   :rudi:

willie wallace
10 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I believe this Irons tool is, or was, in the Vernon Sollis...... 

Strange that he should be telling porkies then, isn't it ??

What a blast from the pass.

Used to see Vernon kicking about when we were kids.We are about the same age.

Was involved in some great fights.

• 3 months later...