Wighton and Kingsley

Stendelnator

Still can't get away from Craig Gordon bringing off a brilliant save, Christie's penalty was a good one but I reckon Craig read it  knowing he would hit it high, watch it again.  Craig had set us up for arguably our greatest Cup victory, considering all the circumstances.

I still can't understand why Kingsley didn't wellie it, he's got a great shot in him.  Wighton was as close as you can be as a cert to miss his.  He played well  scored a few goals but never seems to exude confidence.  I wish Craig Gordon had taken it!!!

Still hurting, way beyond last year's.  We came so close to shutting Brown up, the BBC commentators and Beaton's usual performance.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• Gorgie Boot boy

• soonbe110

• jr ewing

There is also the unfolding psychological game being played out in a penalty shootout. Naismith and Smith had already done the smash down the middle effort which influences the following takers, you always feel like you need to do something different. 

It’s all too easy to blame yesterday on 2 missed pens but you could pinpoint lots of different moments and say that’s where we lost it. I’ll not lie when ginelly missed that chance right at the end of normal time I thought it could maybe haunt us but the guy was fantastic when he came on and got us back to 3-3. Aidy whites poor header that lead to the first goal, Berra giving away a pen. There were lots of moments yesterday you can argue lost us the cup but my god at 2-0 down at HT I would’ve snatched your hand off for pens. As sore as yesterday is, the encouragement I take from it is surreal, doesn’t matter if they’re out of form we went toe to toe with a team that’s swept up for 4 years, on the back of putting out a side that is currently 3rd. I’ve no doubt if we were in the prem we would be top 6. Most of all no one went hiding (Walker up for debate) and before the game that was the most important thing for me. Onwards and upwards. HHGH 🇱🇻

Scottie Wanshot.

The Celtic goalkeeper came of his line for the last 2 penalties. the referee and the other  assistant, one at the side of the goals must have seen this, but didn't have balls to get the kick retaken.

Ex member of the SaS

Not going to moan about players BUT I will never understand why left footed players are crap at penalties. As soon as he stepped up I said OH NO!

Every player played his part and penalties are a lottery so the only winner is a keeper who saves one. But there seems to be very few left footed players who can take a good penalty.

HillmanHearts
17 minutes ago, iwasthere1954 said:

Four SC in 64 years. 

Ok sorry for not being specific enough but it didn't quite seem the point. So Three in the last 63 years. 

I've kinda reflected a bit since last night and I reckon my initial comments regards the Kingsley pen were maybe a bit harsh on the guy. Bourne out of gut wrenching dissapointment. 

It's pens - someone has to lose I suppose. ( Jeez that's hard to say ! )

6 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Not going to moan about players BUT I will never understand why left footed players are crap at penalties. As soon as he stepped up I said OH NO!

Every player played his part and penalties are a lottery so the only winner is a keeper who saves one. But there seems to be very few left footed players who can take a good penalty.

I’d take a look at McGregor and Thumb’s penalties to disprove this theory. Have a look at Kenny McLean’s pens for Scotland as well.  If you want to go further afield, I’m sure Messi is quite decent. 

Baggio (not our one) tried to put his laces through a pretty important penalty in the US. That didn't go so well.

I've taken penalties in shootouts, at a far, far lower level, and even then place it while sending the keeper vs put your laces through it is not easy.

I'm gutted we lost, annoyed at the 1st half, but very happy at the 2nd and extra time. At half time a humping was a possibility. But that was a great chance we just missed.

8 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

I’d take a look at McGregor and Thumb’s penalties to disprove this theory. Have a look at Kenny McLean’s pens for Scotland as well.  If you want to go further afield, I’m sure Messi is quite decent. 

Messi tends to actually miss quite a lot but I do get your point 

A_A wehatethehibs

No pelters for either of them. The penalty shootout is a lottery and our players and management as a collective group chose the penalty order. You wouldn’t find any Hearts fan that would’ve had Wighton on our last kick, no way. Unfortunately the fans were right. But the players and management could only make their decision based on the practice on the training ground. Wighton must have been putting them away, he seems to be that player who can do it in training but on the pitch something goes wrong mentally. I hope he can overcome that as he matures, maybe this hurt will drive him up a level. We would all like to see it. He needs to keep up his fight this season. 

That’s us lost 1 final vs Celtic last year, drawn 1 final this year, so let’s look to get to this seasons final again and we will finally get the cup win which we deserved yesterday. 

Proud of the performance and effort. 

12 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

No pelters for either of them. The penalty shootout is a lottery and our players and management as a collective group chose the penalty order. You wouldn’t find any Hearts fan that would’ve had Wighton on our last kick, no way. Unfortunately the fans were right. But the players and management could only make their decision based on the practice on the training ground. Wighton must have been putting them away, he seems to be that player who can do it in training but on the pitch something goes wrong mentally. I hope he can overcome that as he matures, maybe this hurt will drive him up a level. We would all like to see it. He needs to keep up his fight this season. 

That’s us lost 1 final vs Celtic last year, drawn 1 final this year, so let’s look to get to this seasons final again and we will finally get the cup win which we deserved yesterday. 

Wighton was taking penalties when Boyce was unavailable. 

He scored a penalty in his hatrick earlier in the season. 

As for Kingsley, if he'd been allowed to take it from the edge of the box he'd likely have burst the net😂

The goalie got lucky and guessed correct. 

Weakened Offender
16 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

We’d never have made it to the penalty shootout today were it not for the two of them. Better players than them have missed in a shootout. They didn’t cost us anything today, and both should be commended for their bravery in stepping up. 

Class. 

Feel gutted for them both. 

17 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

We’d never have made it to the penalty shootout today were it not for the two of them. Better players than them have missed in a shootout. They didn’t cost us anything today, and both should be commended for their bravery in stepping up. 

Well said

2 hours ago, Candy said:

Possibly. 

The usual boring "its a lottery" cliché has been trotted out and whilst practice doesn't necessarily make perfect it does make you better.   

I'd be surprised if we hadn't practiced.  I'm not blaming anyone,  I'm just curious as to what goes into the preparation and how much.   

P.S. I've missed a Cup Final penalty, albeit only against Hutchie Vale.  Sclaffed the ball and it ended up resting against the post  🥵

No doubt you gave yourself a hard time after that penalty, it happens, mind i was in goals

jumped for the ball at a corner, great catch then dropped it in the goals😧.

TBH i was pushed lol🙂, no foul, scottish refs eh.

Edited by Harry Potter

I have nothing but praise for the lads. All of them. 

A supreme effort.

Christie's wonder-strike and a terrible penalty decision put us 2-0 down after 28 mins.

Hearts fought back and won the subsequent 90 minutes of football 3-1. 

Without the handball non-penalty, we scored 2 goals to their 1 in 90 minutes. A supreme effort.

To keep fighting back the way we did was awesome, and Kingsley deserves special praise for his performance for without his contribution there would have been no extra time or penalties.

Massive respect to all the players who took penalties, whether they scored or not.

It wasn't to be this year. Valuable experience for all though. Next year we'll get our reward.

Edited by Hearts_fan

3 hours ago, Anything2 said:

There is also the unfolding psychological game being played out in a penalty shootout. Naismith and Smith had already done the smash down the middle effort which influences the following takers, you always feel like you need to do something different. 

nah.... coin has been heads six times but can still equally go either way.... makes zero difference what guy before does....run up hit hard and low all that you really need to think about.... Wighton feeble shot ...feeble mindset!

Can't blame Kingsley and Wighton for missing, they weren't terrible penalties and they had the baws to step up. 

Thought Halkett should have taken one tbh as he took them at Livi but maybe we thought it would go to sudden death pens and he'd be one of our best takers. 

33 minutes ago, Mighty jam said:

nah.... coin has been heads six times but can still equally go either way.... makes zero difference what guy before does....run up hit hard and low all that you really need to think about.... Wighton feeble shot ...feeble mindset!

But it's not a random result, you get to pick whether you go left, right or down the middle so there is a human element. Some players don't watch the penalties to try and block all that out and just focus on their own. 

Scottie Wanshot.
20 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Kingsley was excellent.

Wighton will never be good enough dor Hearts.

I would sell him in January.

20 hours ago, Homme said:

Handful of no-marks on here and social media slating them. 

In the real world everyone knows.

This , all these twats slating them should try and step up with that pressure. Kingsleys was really poor but he was trying to roll it in and send the keeper the wrong way. Wightons he opened his body too much but again had he done that after selling the keeper we wouldn’t be having this convo. 

Both played a big part in a good performance and we should have won it in normal time. Gino has been getting slated too. ****ing idiots.....

Kingsley is the best left back we have had since Fysas 

Wighton much improved and I think he will reach double figures in goals this season 

We should be backing these guys 100%.  They stepped up to the plate 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Wouldn’t blame either player for their misses but Kingsley has shown he has a sweet left foot that could have twatted his pen into the top corner so I am surprised he passed it rather than twatted it.

3 hours ago, Hearts_fan said:

I have nothing but praise for the lads. All of them. 

A supreme effort.

Christie's wonder-strike and a terrible penalty decision put us 2-0 down after 28 mins.

Hearts fought back and won the subsequent 90 minutes of football 3-1. 

Without the handball non-penalty, we scored 2 goals to their 1 in 90 minutes. A supreme effort.

To keep fighting back the way we did was awesome, and Kingsley deserves special praise for his performance for without his contribution there would have been no extra time or penalties.

Massive respect to all the players who took penalties, whether they scored or not.

It wasn't to be this year. Valuable experience for all though. Next year we'll get our reward.

Good post.

15 minutes ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

I would sell him in January.

Who's going to buy someone with the quality of Craig Wighton? He'll need to go on a free at the end of the season.

He'll maybe hit double figures this season, that's the minimum requirement, but he should be punted the minute the final whistle goes on the last game of the season. If I see Wighton in a Hearts top in season 21/22, we'll be in a right mess.

Gimme an H...
3 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Who's going to buy someone with the quality of Craig Wighton? He'll need to go on a free at the end of the season.

He'll maybe hit double figures this season, that's the minimum requirement, but he should be punted the minute the final whistle goes on the last game of the season. If I see Wighton in a Hearts top in season 21/22, we'll be in a right mess.

How can you not see the marked improvement in him this season? He really is like a completely different player. He's got pace, power and shown he can finish very well.

If it wasn't for Boyce playing out of his skin he'd be leading the line and doing it well.

6 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

It didn't help that he took a two step run up. 

Really don't know what he was thinking of tbh. 

Hackney Hearts

Does anyone remember Robbie's penalty against Gretna? Rolled it along the ground with the side of his foot - well within reach, but the keeper had gone the wrong way. Did Robbie send him that way, or was it just luck? In any case Robbie got the 'calmness personified' accolade and praised for his wonderful control. 

Complete contrast to the emphatic efforts from Pressley, Rudi and Pospisil which were unsavable (Rudi's might just have been in reach of a wondersave, but it was hit very hard).

Anyway, not going to hold it against Kingsley or Wighton. And I reckon it would be hard for Robbie to complain about their methods, given what he did himself.

Penalty shoot outs are a lucky dip, at the end of the day you could loose a penalty shoot out to the Bulgarian ladies shot put team and it would still be as painful as loosing to Bayern munich 

21 hours ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

The Celtic goalkeeper came of his line for the last 2 penalties. the referee and the other  assistant, one at the side of the goals must have seen this, but didn't have balls to get the kick retaken.

Gordon was also off his line when saving Christie’s pen. Poor officiating all round, there were only 6 of them as well. 

21 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Think it’s more about who puts their hand up to take one in the shootout rather than who looked good in the no pressure training sessions. Credit to Wighton in particular given the stick he has, mostly rightly, taken from Hearts fans. 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Gordon was also off his line when saving Christie’s pen. Poor officiating all round, there were only 6 of them as well. 

Gordon's foot was on the line when the penalty was taken, I just rewatched it

17 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Can't blame Kingsley and Wighton for missing, they weren't terrible penalties and they had the baws to step up. 

Thought Halkett should have taken one tbh as he took them at Livi but maybe we thought it would go to sudden death pens and he'd be one of our best takers. 

👍don’t understand it either. Can only assume he didn’t want to take one. 

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Then how were we in the lead after Gordon saved a penalty?

it was tremendous fight fight granted and if we hadn’t played like we didn’t want it i the first half then it probably would have been different. As for the pens then yes it was lost due to two absolutely crap shots , harsh to blame it on two players , but your right , it was down to them 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
12 minutes ago, fila said:

it was tremendous fight fight granted and if we hadn’t played like we didn’t want it i the first half then it probably would have been different. As for the pens then yes it was lost due to two absolutely crap shots , harsh to blame it on two players , but your right , it was down to them 

I don’t get this logic

From what you say Hearts basically are to blame - presumably down to Neilson for the first half performance.

But you don’t apply the same argument to Lennon for the second half - did he get it all wrong? Did he not set Celtic up properly?

Is it not just the case that a game of football has two teams and there are momentum changes in games. One team - especially against the best team in the country, can’t dominate the whole game. Yet, we dominated the second half sufficiently that we should have won it in 90 minutes.

Did you watch Sergio’s semi final against Celtic - was even more defensive first half. Celtic should have been out of sight at half time in that game. Them’s the breaks. 

You also seem to neglect that we started the game well enough with Berra and Naismith being a bit unlucky with chances and the fact that Celtic only had 3 shots on target first half.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Gimme an H...
18 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Will always wonder why folk feel the need to come on here and post make believe shite like this. What do you get out of it? 

5 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Even seeing that makes me want to greet. We deserved that trophy. 

Hallelujah brother, its heartbreaking. 

I really didn't enjoy going back and pulling up the video but the big man deserves his dues.

Nelly Terraces

Not having a pop at either & feel sorry for both but soon as Kingsley only took 2 steps back from the ball I was shouting "he's gonna miss!", know it's not always the case but short run ups are never a good idea.

Wighton looked like he normally does when given a good chance to score, like a rabbit in the headlights, say what you like but he's never gonna be good enough for Hearts.

23 hours ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

It’s all too easy to blame yesterday on 2 missed pens but you could pinpoint lots of different moments and say that’s where we lost it. I’ll not lie when ginelly missed that chance right at the end of normal time I thought it could maybe haunt us but the guy was fantastic when he came on and got us back to 3-3. Aidy whites poor header that lead to the first goal, Berra giving away a pen. There were lots of moments yesterday you can argue lost us the cup but my god at 2-0 down at HT I would’ve snatched your hand off for pens. As sore as yesterday is, the encouragement I take from it is surreal, doesn’t matter if they’re out of form we went toe to toe with a team that’s swept up for 4 years, on the back of putting out a side that is currently 3rd. I’ve no doubt if we were in the prem we would be top 6. Most of all no one went hiding (Walker up for debate) and before the game that was the most important thing for me. Onwards and upwards. HHGH 🇱🇻

From a very reliable source, Walker is still not 100% recovered, plus he is not an out and out winger, his most effective and preferred position is left mid, picking things up and moving forward.  Also Jamie is NOT a defender - Alloa penalty and yellow on Sunday for shirt pull - he just gets in the way.

The modern game is to have your wingers/attackers back defending, but unless they are super skilled, it just adds problems.

Gordon Ramsay
17 minutes ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Not having a pop at either & feel sorry for both but soon as Kingsley only took 2 steps back from the ball I was shouting "he's gonna miss!", know it's not always the case but short run ups are never a good idea.

Wighton looked like he normally does when given a good chance to score, like a rabbit in the headlights, say what you like but he's never gonna be good enough for Hearts.

Agree with both. They contributed during the game, no doubt. Kingsley massively and I'd like to see us keep him too. 

The short run up though on the left foot never looks good and Wighton, well, you just knew. He's done OK this season but being honest, he's not Hearts standard and doesn't have the mentality to play for Hearts. League 1 player. 

Allowayjambo1874

No one can blame them as for all we know the other 6 players may have said they definitely didn’t want to take one so at least they had the balls to step up.

Kingsley is a quality operator, everyone can see that so this will quickly be forgotten and everyone will move on.  

I hate to say this, and it’s only a gut feeling, but I think that’s Wighton done at Hearts. Every single missed effort, every time he gives the ball away or when he has a quiet/poor game that penalty is going to be rammed down his throat. I’m glad for the lad that there are no fans in stadiums as it would be brutal for him. 

Gorgie Boot boy
2 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Not having a pop though.

iwasthere1954
On 21/12/2020 at 10:29, HillmanHearts said:

Ok sorry for not being specific enough but it didn't quite seem the point. So Three in the last 63 years. 

I've kinda reflected a bit since last night and I reckon my initial comments regards the Kingsley pen were maybe a bit harsh on the guy. Bourne out of gut wrenching dissapointment. 

It's pens - someone has to lose I suppose. ( Jeez that's hard to say ! )

I've seen us win four but I still feel the same as yourself. We'll come back again I'm sure.

22 hours ago, Gimme an H... said:

How can you not see the marked improvement in him this season? He really is like a completely different player. He's got pace, power and shown he can finish very well.

If it wasn't for Boyce playing out of his skin he'd be leading the line and doing it well.

don't know who you;ve been watching mate because it isn;t Wighton....only game he got pass marks from me was against Arbroath.... Feeble and ineffective in almost every other game