Wighton and Kingsley

Stendelnator

1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Na,and thats why we are where we are.

Acceptance of mediocre players.

quality of our game dropped lots when Wighton came on for Boyce. He is tidy enough but just not effective, and weak pen. Yes on target but weak in every other respect.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• Gorgie Boot boy

• soonbe110

• jr ewing

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I thought Wighton played well when he came on. Penalties are s lottery, but they hit poor ones. 

Yes,both hit poor penalties. 

That was last roll of the dice for Wighton. Whether that’s fair or not I don’t know but he will NEVER now be a regular starter for Hearts. 
That’s the way it goes he had a great chance and blew it. 

kingantti1874

Well said OP, I’m absolutely devestated.  Putting aside everything else these guys will be beyond gutted, Kingsley In particular had a great game.. 

HillmanHearts
1 minute ago, Zen Jambo said:

Best player in the squad, arguably. 

Kingsley is an excellent player.
Hopefully we can sign him long term.

Still a crucially shit penalty today. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Unfair comments on two players who worked so hard throughout the game. Keeper moved before wighton hit his anyway. Should have been retaken!

HillmanHearts

We don’t get chances to win cups very often. 
Won three Scottish cups in the last 60 odd years .
This was a huge chance.

We had advantage and he papped it towards a corner with no conviction.

****in smack it  !
Good player - but that was shit. 

Gimme an H...
18 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

With every game I hate that useless ***** Wighton more and more.

Hate?

You are honestly the biggest idiot on here and that's saying something. 

Malinga the Swinga
30 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

With every game I hate that useless ***** Wighton more and more.

Your usual negative pish is not appreciated anywhere. Can't your carer limit your Internet time at weekend and give us a break. 

I'd be i interested to know how much practice and coaching they had?

If Kingsley had practiced penalties like that at Oriam surely a coach would have suggested a different approach

south morocco

I like Kingsley, but his body language and approach was  all all wrong with the pen. Wasn’t surprised he missed it.  Too nonchalant .Shit happens. But still gutted . Professional players should be told to burst the net

to score penalties. 

Edited by south morocco

Gimme an H...

****ing hell folk are over thinking this. Professional footballers know whether or not they can take a proper penalty. Before th shootout you'd want Kingsley and Wighton taking one of the 5. They missed their chance in a high pressure situation. It happens. Messi and Ronaldo miss them. The pressure got to them. 

south morocco
2 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

****ing hell folk are over thinking this. Professional footballers know whether or not they can take a proper penalty. Before th shootout you'd want Kingsley and Wighton taking one of the 5. They missed their chance in a high pressure situation. It happens. Messi and Ronaldo miss them. The pressure got to them. 

Never seen Ronaldo miss a pen to be fair. 

3 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

Would have had Halkett over Wighton. From the players on the park I would have gone: Naismith, Smith, Lee, Halkett & Kingsley in that order 

I knew Kingsley was missing as soon as I seen the short run. Looked terrified but can't imagine the pressure or nerves in these situations just wish he had gone down the head down and blast it route like the celtic boy did. Thought Kingsley was immense all game and Wighton done well when he came on too.  What a horrible way to lose a cup final cant fault a single player for their efforts today. 

They both played well. 

I still wouldn't have let Wighton hit a penalty though. You could see it in his face that he was terrified and going to miss. He has no confidence and lacks the killer instinct of a top level striker.

2 hours ago, Ford Prentice said:

The penalties were OK. Could have hit them harder but both well placed which is the main thing. Keeper guessing right twice in a row is unusual. Unlucky.

Bang on

2 hours ago, JamboAndrew said:

When those penalties go in it is 'coolness personified' and when they don't its not powerful enough.

After the first 45 minutes I really feared the worst. They have players on wages that wont be far off our whole squad. They have an 8m defender. Etc... today the team did well. Fine margins and not having the rub of the green meant the scum won today.

Totally agree. Keeper goes the wrong way and a shot trundling in not even near the corner of the goal is hailed as a great penalty!

a great penalty is one that hits the side netting at reasonable pace - no keeper in the world saves them even guessing diving the right way

Any professional Footballer should be capable of scoring from 12 yards. The Keeper should stand no chance if struck with authority high into the net. The penalties saved are always at a comfortable height for a Goalie. We have passed up a glorious opportunity to win the cup against all the odds. You can bet your bottom dollar if we had of scored all five, the celtic websites would not have been "its a lottery and anyone can miss a penalty hard luck lads"

If Kingsley, who most of us thought was nailed on to score had converted, the pressure would have been enormous on celtic. Once Craig Gordon saved Chrisies penalty, we were ahead for the first time in 120 minutes. Instead the momentum swung back in their favour. I dont think any of us fancied Wighton to score....

I've seen plenty penalties stroked into the corner as the keeper went the wrong way, even by world class players. Unfortunately for us, the keeper went the right way. They were soft penalties but they were on target. 

I've taken penalties at a gala day against the pub team goalie and ah shat it so I'm  slagging nobody. 

2 hours ago, HillmanHearts said:

Let’s be honest

At the end of the end of the day Kingsley has cost us the cup.

Shit penalty.

**** me hit it hard a least.

Really decent player and I’d like him to stay but that’s  just that.

Let's be honest but there again..

At the end of the day Kigsley's scored one, made an assist, awarded Man of the Match and his miss made it all square in shoot out

Shit penalty

Probably takes them and scores like that in training

Really decent player and hope he stays

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

Both played excellent. Undeniably poor penalties and you can tell they both aren't naturals at it or very good at taking them. 

No problem. Onwards.

Ainsley Harriott
13 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Does anyone else think its ironic that someone calling themselves leveins battalion is calling out others for accepting mediocracy 

I find it amusing that people have been watching football for years, then come on the forum and say 'should have put his boot through it' for every single penalty. I suppose it's a friendly reminder that many people have very little understanding of football, or have never played at any level.

The Treasurer

Both were poor penalties, no doubt about that, but lets not forget that Christie, arguably one of the best players in the country at this time, also missed.

Doesn't make things any better but it can happen to even the best of them

Kingsley pen was so disappointing as he has a great left foot but you could see that he was so unsure of the moment which I am not going to criticise him for.   Wighton I had a feeling would miss but again, greater players than him have missed in pen shoot outs.

11 hours ago, cosanostra said:

They both played well. 

I still wouldn't have let Wighton hit a penalty though. You could see it in his face that he was terrified and going to miss. He has no confidence and lacks the killer instinct of a top level striker.

Not that long ago since Wighton was being lauded as the answer to our penalty kick problems when he scored two in one match.

I'm sure Kingsley will be absolutely devastated at his miss. Nothing anyone will say to him will make him feel any better about it, and no doubt in future matches a few mouthy opponents will try to wind him up about it.

He needs to remember that other players made crucial errors too which cost us. He had a fantastic game otherwise which I'm sure all of us appreciate. 

He has the chance to become a big part of the team over the next few years should he sign a new deal.

He needs now to feel the love from the fans and I'm sure we will have a tremendous player determined more than ever to make up for his one lapse.

11 hours ago, Candy said:

If Kingsley had practiced penalties like that at Oriam surely a coach would have suggested a different approach

Every player had a penalty on Saturday morning at oriam.

I'm  sure both them scored in practice ,but it means nothing now 

Wighton was the hero in the semi final, and a big part of the reason we were even there at all yesterday. He played well when he came and has been unlucky to be out of the team while Boyce was having his drought, in my opinion.

A few folk on here are too stubborn to admit he's improved, however.

The whole 'never good enough for Hearts' chat is just incredibly boring, tbh

14 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Totally agree with this. Been like that for way too long now 

12 hours ago, Candy said:

The pressure of the job in hand was probably enough, could have practised for days prior to the game.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
14 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

This 'acceptance' pish does my head in. What difference do you think it makes if I think Wighton is allright or pish? Why would fans 'acceptance' impact the team's performance at all. And how is it the single biggest reason 'why we are where we are'? It's just something you like to tell yourself to justify being angry on the internet.

3 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

The pressure of the job in hand was probably enough, could have practised for days prior to the game.

Possibly. 

The usual boring "its a lottery" cliché has been trotted out and whilst practice doesn't necessarily make perfect it does make you better.   

I'd be surprised if we hadn't practiced.  I'm not blaming anyone,  I'm just curious as to what goes into the preparation and how much.   

P.S. I've missed a Cup Final penalty, albeit only against Hutchie Vale.  Sclaffed the ball and it ended up resting against the post  🥵

12 hours ago, Gimme an H... said:

Hate?

You are honestly the biggest idiot on here and that's saying something. 

To quote Goldie Lookin Chain;

"I tried to see things from his point of view

But I couldn't fit my head up his arsehole too"

It took serious nuts to volunteer for those penalties, bigger nuts than any of the fury laden manchildren on here will ever have.

We lost, I'm gutted, but those players gave us what they had yesterday, I can't ask more than that. 

iwasthere1954
12 hours ago, HillmanHearts said:

We don’t get chances to win cups very often. 
Won three Scottish cups in the last 60 odd years .
This was a huge chance.

We had advantage and he papped it towards a corner with no conviction.

****in smack it  !
Good player - but that was shit. 

Four SC in 64 years. 

15 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

We’d never have made it to the penalty shootout today were it not for the two of them. Better players than them have missed in a shootout. They didn’t cost us anything today, and both should be commended for their bravery in stepping up. 

This.