Wighton and Kingsley

Stendelnator

We’d never have made it to the penalty shootout today were it not for the two of them. Better players than them have missed in a shootout. They didn’t cost us anything today, and both should be commended for their bravery in stepping up. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• Gorgie Boot boy

• soonbe110

• jr ewing

You only have to look at the calibre of players who have missed huge penalties to know it happens to the best.

We should have had them in regular time. No one is to blame. It wasn't to be

Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

Kingsley was excellent.

Wighton will never be good enough dor Hearts.

Wighton was more than good enough when he came on.  

Leveins Battalion
Just now, gashauskis9 said:

Na,and thats why we are where we are.

Acceptance of mediocre players.

1 minute ago, gashauskis9 said:

I thought Wighton played well when he came on. Penalties are s lottery, but they hit poor ones. 

Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

Na,and thats why we are where we are.

Acceptance of mediocre players.

Agree. We’re too nice a club. Guys like Wighton and White should not have their contracts renewed. We should be aiming for better than that.  

They were not great pens, but I've never had to step up and do that. Penalties are just a way to find a winner. We had the chances to win this match during the game.

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

I thought Wighton played well when he came on. Penalties are s lottery, but they hit poor ones. 

Indeed. No blame on either of them but the last two penalties were poor.

Ford Prentice

The penalties were OK. Could have hit them harder but both well placed which is the main thing. Keeper guessing right twice in a row is unusual. Unlucky.

I feel for them. Missing penalties is a sickener and it's bad luck. They hit theirs poor/soft so the keeper had a chance and as he guessed the right way on both they were easy saves.

They need to pick themselves up and learn from it. The pressure was huge.

Both played well.

At the end of the day, the goalkeeper did well to guess and save them. They didn't balloon the balls over the bar or anything.

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

Kingsley was arguably the best player on the park today.

Even the BBC agreed with that.

We don't need scapegoats. We came so close. It would have been different if 2-0 at half time had become 5-1. Instead it was the closest final for years.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

An invitation for roasters. 

Christie is probably the best player in Scotland right now,  and missed. 

Penalties are simply a tie breaker. 

We don't get win number 9, just as it feels a wee bit hollow winning a cup final on penalties, not winning a shoot out should not feel so bad. 

Next. Ayr another shower of ***** 

If we feel bad how do they feel right now.Kingsley's MOTM will mean nothing to him now and in the future.Probably the worst night of his career.

Christie on the other hand won't be caring that he missed.So disappointing but let's rally round and win the title at a canter.

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Kingsley in particular.  Had he scored then Wighton has a free hit. Just needs to stick his boot through it. If he scores we win, if he misses the shoot out goes on.  Significantly less pressure on him if Kingsley scores.  Wighton actually took a decent pen. Just unfortunate that keeper guessed correctly 

9 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

They were not great pens, but I've never had to step up and do that. Penalties are just a way to find a winner. We had the chances to win this match during the game.

This. 

Kingsley is a top top player and Wighton has massively improved but a general squad player. 

Might not have been playing in a final today had it not been for Wighton. Wouldn't have made it to penalties if it wasn't for Kingsley.

Kingsley was arguably motm. He was the BBC choice anyway.

Yes they were poor penalties. But to slate them for it is the sign of an utter imbecile

Pasquale for King

It’s been mentioned about the short run up but it was more the  telegraphed nature of their pens, that should’ve been ironed out in training. 
I hope they’re not stigmatised by it, Gordon has a poor record on penalties and only went the right way twice out of six penalties. 
It’s a team game, win or lose. 

When those penalties go in it is 'coolness personified' and when they don't its not powerful enough.

After the first 45 minutes I really feared the worst. They have players on wages that wont be far off our whole squad. They have an 8m defender. Etc... today the team did well. Fine margins and not having the rub of the green meant the scum won today.

Салатные палочки

Kingsley I hope we get tied down on a long term contract. Wighton played fine when he came on but he doesn't have the bottle required. 

Win together lose together. that simple really. both took ownership to take them. They were well placed but too soft and presumably telegraphed as the keeper got over to them quite easily. not sure if he was off his line though. If he was, that indicates he knew where they placing them. Obviously should have been retaken if that was the case

To many commenting, who weren't even good enough to get in their school team, never mind take a penalty kick ever.

Both were excellent in play.  It's just typical football that both ****ed up on the pens.  Boyce & Walker subbed off may have hurt us in the pens but both had to come off.

29 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

We’d never have made it to the penalty shootout today were it not for the two of them. Better players than them have missed in a shootout. They didn’t cost us anything today, and both should be commended for their bravery in stepping up. 

Excellent post. 

It was a strange short run up from Kingsley. 

He should have smashed it because he is a really striker of the ball as can be seen from his goals. 

Knew Wighton was going to miss as he made it obvious where he was going to put it. 

10 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

To many commenting, who weren't even good enough to get in their school team, never mind take a penalty kick ever.

Agreed.  Criticism from the penalty experts on JKB..  Words fail me. This place is humming btw.

They were poorly taken pens but pens is a lottery. At least they made goalkeeper make the save.

We can rightly say they were poor pens but no blame should be attached.

Critical at the time through emotion at the time but when you take a step back, fair ****s to those 2 showing the balls to step up. 
2 poor penalties mind but it happens unfortunately and today just wasn’t our day 

Kingsley had a great game. The only thing he did wrong was the penalty and both were under huge pressure. Thought Wighton played well when he came on. Wasn’t scared to attack the defence and take his man on, which he did repeatedly. Some clever play from him at times. Did more in ten minutes than Jamie Walker did in his whole appearance. I’d get Walker out the door in the next window as he’s just an imposter with the heart of a mouse. No place at HMFC for players who hide when the going gets tough.  

Tokyo Drifter
55 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Agree. Wighton's miss was due to a good save rather than a poor penalty, though I have to say as soon as I saw Kinglsey's two step run-up I knew he was in trouble. His was a poor penalty. 

9 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Kingsley had a great game. The only thing he did wrong was the penalty and both were under huge pressure. Thought Wighton played well when he came on. Wasn’t scared to attack the defence and take his man on, which he did repeatedly. Some clever play from him at times. Did more in ten minutes than Jamie Walker did in his whole appearance. I’d get Walker out the door in the next window as he’s just an imposter with the heart of a mouse. No place at HMFC for players who hide when the going gets tough.  

Very fair assessment of Jamie Walkers contribution today. It would seem his level best is the Championship and no higher than that. 

NaturalOrder74

Honestly neither of them skied it could argue all night that we could have taken them better but the boys got us there in the first place from 2-0 down that takes something special against Celtic* 

HillmanHearts

Let’s be honest

At the end of the end of the day Kingsley has cost us the cup.

Shit penalty.

**** me hit it hard a least.

Really decent player and I’d like him to stay but that’s  just that.

2 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

Let’s be honest

At the end of the end of the day Kingsley has cost us the cup.

Shit penalty.

**** me hit it hard a least.

Really decent player and I’d like him to stay but that’s  just that.

Must sign now  to make up for the miss. 

22 minutes ago, Gambo said:

They were poorly taken pens but pens is a lottery. At least they made goalkeeper make the save.

We can rightly say they were poor pens but no blame should be attached.

That's probably a fair way to look at it.   All the penalties were on target, so none were wasted.  You see EPL players taking penalties on MotD like Wighton's and Kingsley's - and if the goalie goes the wrong way, the commentator gushes about how brilliant they were. If the goalie saves them, the commentator often describes them as poor penalties.      How many folk on here tonight would do any better in a Cup Final shootout  after playing 120 minutes ? 

Commentators 

1 hour ago, Stendelnator said:

My feelings exactly.