Commentary

rudiatemyhamster

Didn't think it was that bad.  Had a few decent Hearts touches in the programme as a whole.

As for the actual match commentators, I think they go with the flow, if you look at the coments on the JKB match thread from "actual" Hearts fans why would you expect neutral commentators to be different, indeed Hearts fans were way worse ? I have no doubt that if Hearts went out and played great exciting football and had Celtic on the back foot the commentory would reflect that. 

Living in Calgary I watched on HeartsTV so missed the biased BBC commentary. The BBC’s charter is supposed to guarantee impartiality. Was the commentary so bad this was not the case?

It was appallingly, disgustingly and I hate to say it, predictably bad.  Barely a mention of Hearts in over two hours of football.

Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Hearts 

Celtic Celtic  Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic CelticCeltic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic Celtic

Where was this so-called "balance" the BBC are supposedly famed for?

Criminal.

6 minutes ago, Marriott said:

Didn't think it was that bad.  Had a few decent Hearts touches in the programme as a whole.

As for the actual match commentators, I think they go with the flow, if you look at the coments on the JKB match thread from "actual" Hearts fans why would you expect neutral commentators to be different, indeed Hearts fans were way worse ? I have no doubt that if Hearts went out and played great exciting football and had Celtic on the back foot the commentory would reflect that. 

It really didn't. When we scored all we got was "Celtic shouldn't give away free-kicks there, look how vulnerable they are". Everything was filtered through a Celtic prism for the entire match.

6 minutes ago, CalgaryJambo said:

Living in Calgary I watched on HeartsTV so missed the biased BBC commentary. The BBC’s charter is supposed to guarantee impartiality. Was the commentary so bad this was not the case?

100%

They didn't even try to hide it. I really hate Scottish football for all that stuff.

At least if you're abroad you don't have to hear it!

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, Marriott said:

I take it you missed them gushing about how great Celtic were, how they were going to take 5/6 off us then went into total shock when we equalised and gave us no credit for it? Do you think they would’ve reacted the same way if we had got a penalty in the circumstances they did? Or the bit at the end that Dodds described as chances where Rogic had a shot from outside the box that went yards wide and Griffiths flashed over a cross 11 feet in the air that went out for a throw?

Edited by Pasquale for King

9 minutes ago, Marriott said:

A few decent Hearts touches in three or four HOURS of coverage!

The commentators couldn't hide how depressed they were whenever Hearts scored. Also couldn't hide their glee when their darling Celtic did anything good at all. It was sickening.

I shouldn't have to watch with the volume off ffs!

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, CalgaryJambo said:

Lucky you, they had a panel of Martin O’Neil, Shelley Kerr, Celtic employee and alleged Hearts fan Michael Stewart. The two commentators were in shock when we equalised. 

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I take it you missed them gushing about how great Celtic were, how they were going to take 5/6 off us then went into total shock when we equalised and gave us no credit for it? Do you think they would’ve reacted the same way if we had got a penalty in the circumstances they did? 

No fair do's I see the point.

I can ignore it though, doesn't bother me too much, it's like watching Hearts v Allloa it's mostly about Hearts, must be annoying for Alloa fans, but hey ho, big team always gets the attention it's the way of the world, just need to strive to be the big team. 

Was easy to switch off or go to the bog when O'Neill was prattling on ...

Pasquale for King
Just now, Marriott said:

No fair do's I see the point.

I can ignore it though, doesn't bother me too much, it's like watching Hearts v Allloa it's mostly about Hearts, must be annoying for Alloa fans, but hey ho, big team always gets the attention it's the way of the world, just need to strive to be the big team. 

Was easy to switch off or go to the bog when O'Neill was prattling on ...

He was the best of the lot, I should’ve switched to the Premier Sports coverage on my phone. The incompetence of them enraged me too, they get paid handsomely and know nothing about the rules or the game today. A few pointless facts and they think they’re doing great. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

He was the best of the lot, I should’ve switched to the Premier Sports coverage on my phone. The incompetence of them enraged me too, they get paid handsomely and know nothing about the rules or the game today. A few pointless facts and they think they’re doing great. 

Fell off my couch when he said he had a soft spot for us 😄

I'm not defending them at all, Shelley saying we we weren't a premiership team and Dodds in general annoyed me no end, just saying I can ignore them and do think if we had got at Celtic first half and played brilliant football the tone would be different, they do go with the flow ....

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, Marriott said:

Fell off my couch when he said he had a soft spot for us 😄

I'm not defending them at all, Shelley saying we we weren't a premiership team and Dodds in general annoyed me no end, just saying I can ignore them and do think if we had got at Celtic first half and played brilliant football the tone would be different, they do go with the flow ....

Fair enough, Kerr just sounds like a female version of Pressley. The BBC reality for pick the biggest managerial failures they can find, and crap ex and current players . 

3 hours ago, BEDNAR BOY said:

Watched It on premier as I knew what the BBC clowns would be like.

This! 

yours in sport 

1 hour ago, CalgaryJambo said:

The BBC’s charter is supposed to guarantee impartiality. 

This is a very valid point. So what do we do about it? I don’t know. Personally I’m going to put in a complaint tomorrow, once my rage has calmed down. If I don’t get a reply then what’s the ****ing point.....
Anyway that wee prick McLeod is meant to be an Aberdeen fan, if he is he must go home and greet into his big flossie pillow after commentating on Celtic games.

That display from him and Dodds was a disgrace.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Fair enough, Kerr just sounds like a female version of Pressley. The BBC reality for pick the biggest managerial failures they can find, and crap ex and current players . 

She speaks like she's reading an autocue written in crayon. 

Who selects the commentators? Who trains them? Who evaluates their performance?

O'Neil, Kerr and Stewart were all well balanced and fair. Most importantly they spoke about and were focused on the game. McLeod and Dodds treated it like a Celtic Chat show instead of commentating on the game. Absolutely honking one sided commentating by those two and if the BBC cared, they would not get another game to cover. When you watch an English of Europe game the commentators focus on the match,  so why do we have to be served up with that nonsense. They need training or sacked.

All roads lead to Gorgie

It seemed to me that the pair of them had a preconceived idea that Celtic are a football superpower and Hearts were just there to make up the numbers and were therefor not worth the same air time. Both teams in a final deserve the same respect. Shameful and tolerated by the BBC unfortunately!

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, Mister T said:

She speaks like she's reading an autocue written in crayon. 

Maybe he does her scripts, separated at birth. 

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, cocomac said:

Who selects the commentators? Who trains them? Who evaluates their performance?

O'Neil, Kerr and Stewart were all well balanced and fair. Most importantly they spoke about and were focused on the game. McLeod and Dodds treated it like a Celtic Chat show instead of commentating on the game. Absolutely honking one sided commentating by those two and if the BBC cared, they would not get another game to cover. When you watch an English of Europe game the commentators focus on the match,  so why do we have to be served up with that nonsense. They need training or sacked.

There’s clearly no training involved. Having listened to Celtic tv a few times when watching us play them on dodgy streams over the years they’re not anymore biased than what we heard today. 

Here’s my complaint, get it done lads / lassies, might not be worth a jot but if we’re apathetic about it then there’s no point in moaning about it.

017EB647-6ABF-4099-A433-0BA60CBB7A8C.jpeg

All roads lead to Gorgie

I was at the final last year so didn't hear/ suffer the live commentary but was it as one sided as this? I suspect it might have been.

Also I hope Gretna were given the same respect as us in 2006. 

5 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Also I hope Gretna were given the same respect as us in 2006. 

I would imagine they were gushing over Gretna in 2006. There was loads of folk around me applauding Gretna at the end, much like folk applauding Bale when we played Spurs at Tynecastle. I can’t do that sort of stuff, and the Bale thing actually gave me a little bit of sick in my mouth.

Just sent this to BBC Complaints:

YOUR COMPLAINT: 

One sided commentary at the Scottish Cup Final 

Good morning.
Yesterday afternoon I watched the Scottish Cup Final on BBC Scotland.
The eventual score was 3-3 after a very exciting and eventful cup final.
However, the game for me and many others I have spoken to after discussing this matter with them, was spoiled by the one-sided commentary from the commentator and the pundit (Dodds) who continually spoke of Celtic throughout the game giving little reference to Heart of Midlothian who they were playing. Despite Heart of Midlothian taking the game to Celtic and almost winning, the commentator and Dodds repeatedly praised Celtic, spoke endearingly about their record and what the repercussions would be should they loose. There was little reference made to Heart of Midlothian and at times the listener would have had difficulty remembering there was another team playing. There was no reference to the fact Heart of Midlothian were a Championship team, that they had endured a dramatic two seasons including being demoted by other clubs including Celtic to the Championship partly because of COVID 19 and that they were by far the underdogs having played far less games than Celtic because they were playing in the championship. Worse, was that Heart of Midlothian players received very little praise despite almost winning the cup final whilst there was an almost constant discussion ongoing about the brilliance of Celtic, how “they can still win the cup” referring to Celtic (however surely both teams can still win the cup regardless of the score line) and an investigation into recent Celtic poor performances.
In conclusion, I was/am disgusted at the, one-side commentary made during yesterdays Scottish Cup Final towards Celtic that cemented my belief of the Glasgow bias in favour of both 'Old Firm' teams to the detriment of other clubs in Scotland and how this commentary spoiled a fascinating match with the continual discussion about Celtic (that had nothing to do with the game I was watching). 

I honestly didn't think they were too bad but at times they gave away their Celtic bias.  At one point they were clearly irritated that Craig Gordon got in the way of a Celtic attempt on goal.  It was in fact a really good save from a first class goalkeeper.

They did acknowledge at times in the 2nd half that Celtic had fallen to bits but were a bit reluctant to give us credit for that.

The commentary was horrendous from start to finish. I suspect Celtic TV might have been more impartial. If they weren’t bumming sunshine up Celtic’s arses they were waffling irrelevant nonsense.  

The commentary was something I noticed too, and I was 2 sheets to the wind. Surely it wasn’t as bad as that in the last final? ( I was at the game so can’t comment).

The narrative was already pre-determined I reckon. The plucky, downtrodden underdogs, with hundred of millions to spend, somehow manage to win all the trophies, even with all that pressure of having all the money and all the best players! What a heartwarming tale

11 hours ago, BEDNAR BOY said:

Watched It on premier as I knew what the BBC clowns would be like.

Same here. Couldn’t stand listening to BBC Celtic tv. Even Sutton was very magnanimous and said we didn’t deserve to lose. Best bit was when the cameramen changed over as Ajer took the last pen and their broadcast froze. Everyone missed the winning pen. Plenty of praise for us from McCoist and Sutton and it was a very unbiased broadcast.

Dodds and McCleod are just a pair of insignificant weegie rimming wankstains 

highlandjambo3
12 hours ago, gashauskis9 said:

Quite miraculous how they went from “this is not the Celtic we know” before pens to “no other team will achieve this” after pens.  

They gave us **** all credit. Even when we scored, it was put down to their frailties rather than our effort.  

Come on, we all know this was only ever about how good Celtic are (if they won) or his bad they are (if they lost)

It was truly awful - with commercial tv/papers/radio - you understand that they are playing to their demographic - who buy their papers watch the advertising. These BBC clowns are paid for directly by us. I actually thought the direction was amateurish too - the game was going on and the camera was missing the action - there’s only one job.

highlandjambo3

Wonder what happened to the masses of great unwashed who were outside the ground......an Ariel shot near the end showed that they seemed to have disappeared..........plod probably turned up with bars of soap.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

They were embarrassing. Creaming themselves over a non-achievement quadruple treble which has a massive asterisk next to it anyway given that Celtic didn’t win 2019-20 league  on the pitch 

I used to like Liam McCleod (still enjoy his commentary from the 5-1 game “oh Hearts are rampant etc”) but he was terrible yesterday.

I also found it weird in the semi final, in the first half he must have Mentioned Hibs beating us in a 5th round replay a dozen times, Hibs beating us in 3 of last 4 Scottish cup meetings, “Sir David Gray”, and Hibs going on to win the cup that year. He didn’t mention 5-1 once (I think) or the Hartley semi at all. It was only in the second half that the sad news about Zal forced him to mention the 5-1 game. 

4 minutes ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

They were embarrassing. Creaming themselves over a non-achievement quadruple treble which has a massive asterisk next to it anyway given that Celtic didn’t win 2019-20 league  on the pitch 

I used to like Liam McCleod (still enjoy his commentary from the 5-1 game “oh Hearts are rampant etc”) but he was terrible yesterday.

I also found it weird in the semi final, in the first half he must have Mentioned Hibs beating us in a 5th round replay a dozen times, Hibs beating us in 3 of last 4 Scottish cup meetings, “Sir David Gray”, and Hibs going on to win the cup that year. He didn’t mention 5-1 once (I think) or the Hartley semi at all. It was only in the second half that the sad news about Zal forced him to mention the 5-1 game. 

Thing is, why talk about those games at all? I don’t watch games and think “ooh that player played in 2006 against Gretna” or ponder how many finals have gone to penalties like they said about a dozen times. 

McLeod speaks too much and fills the time repeating pointless stats. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
8 hours ago, smiler said:

I would imagine they were gushing over Gretna in 2006. There was loads of folk around me applauding Gretna at the end, much like folk applauding Bale when we played Spurs at Tynecastle. I can’t do that sort of stuff, and the Bale thing actually gave me a little bit of sick in my mouth.

I think Gretna were lapping up the applause at the end, their late owner was certainly. The 40k of us that day were just in party mood or relief to be honest and didn't mind applauding them but any other team it would have been a different case as most seemed to follow the media in being anti Romanov.

We had the temerity to challenge the old duopoly that season so I'm sure the pundits would be rooting for Gretna no doubt.

The Bale thing made me cringe that night too.

1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I think Gretna were lapping up the applause at the end, their late owner was certainly. The 40k of us that day were just in party mood or relief to be honest and didn't mind applauding them but any other team it would have been a different case as most seemed to follow the media in being anti Romanov.

We had the temerity to challenge the old duopoly that season so I'm sure the pundits would be rooting for Gretna no doubt.

The Bale thing made me cringe that night too.

Yeah that was a unique final I guess, absolute fairytale them getting there, so I appreciate why folk clapped them. It's just not for me. You also wouldn't have got any other team doing a lap of honour as they did. 

ToadKiller Dog

My non football interested friend was watching with me ,shes originally from the east end of Glasgow. 

This is what she asked me "Are the commentators so pro celtic because the games being played in Glasgow, are the BBC not doing a Edinburgh version for hearts fans ?" 

How to explain 🤔 😆 🤣 

15 hours ago, Gizmo said:

It really didn't. When we scored all we got was "Celtic shouldn't give away free-kicks there, look how vulnerable they are". Everything was filtered through a Celtic prism for the entire match.

Your spot on , I eventually dumped it and switched to Premier Sports and it was much better balanced and giving credit to Hearts . The Bbc pair were a disgrace . I’m surprised Re Dodds ... or am I 😏

BBC commentary team were a disgrace.....There would have been more partiality if the game had been screened on Celtic TV!

Turned the TV over at H/T as couldn't be bothered listening to Shelley trying her hardest to speak some form of the English language!

And of course Michael and Martin trying their best to reinvent the English language!

Edited by Hashimoto

Muted the commentary during the game could hear it in the background as me and half a dozen mates were video chatting via zoom during the game.

19 hours ago, billybalfour said:

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but the female at the start said Hearts make one change and Rob Lee isn't playing.

Apart from that it was a Celtic love in.Dodds should hang his head in shame.

Rob Lee😂, you would think they would do some research, clueless.

Martin o'neil and his "stuck between two rocks" half time comment. Even my 6 year old said didn't he mean a rock and a hard place dad. 

Then mcleod and his theory of the team scoring first has won it on all but 3 times. Aye, it's actually 4 as we scored first in last seasons final! 

I remember in 1988 when we beat Celtic at tynie, the camera hoist was going up behind the roseburn end and had a bucket in it. Boy shouts "is that archive's Paul mcstay wank bucket"? Guessing they brought it out of retirement for them yesterday.