Never get a better chance

Selkirkhmfc1874

Just now, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Gutted after the game kingsley had he missed that penalty straight after Gordon's save !!! Absolutely gutted

That’s a penalty that should have been blasted down the middle at that point 

thehibsareintheirbeds
2 minutes ago, 80bob said:

Spot on, what would we all give- kingsley included - to have that one again. Gutted

Selkirkhmfc1874
10 minutes ago, 80bob said:

Lacked conviction and so did wightons but still proud of the team today 

A Fantastic Opportunity missed for 2 reasons. Firstly to win a Scottish Cup, and secondly to beat Celtic in Glasgow.

We were ahead in the game for the first time in 120 minutes at 3-2 in pens. All we had to do was blast two pens to achieve Glory......

Never will will have a better chance ......

Edited by gowestjambo

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, colinzeal said:

Would have backed Kingsley to score, would never have let Wighton hit one, the boy has no bottle. 

Great performance though! 

Wee it unfair on Wighton. He’s took some responsibly and offered himself. It was right in the corner too gotta give the keeper some credit. 
I feel for everyone tonight, the players and the fans.
I was in tears at 3-3. I thought it was ours...
I hate when Hearts give me hope :lol: 

The Ginnelly miss at 3-3 

and then 3-2 up on penalties are certainly big moments.

But there were a lot of big moments in the game.

Should have been 4-1 to Celtic early second half if Edouard was vaguely bothered. 

You can frett about things or just move on. Hearts will move on and hopefully look back at this as another step back to the top. 

19 minutes ago, colinzeal said:

Would have backed Kingsley to score, would never have let Wighton hit one, the boy has no bottle. 

Great performance though! 

This! 

Find the forensic analysis of penalties a bit unfair on the players who missed. After someone's missed it's pretty obvious he should have done something different. Kingsley and Wighton will be in bits.

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Lacked conviction and so did wightons but still proud of the team today 

Plus the two step run up by Kingston didn't help. 

Just knew Wighton was going to miss. 

Bazzas right boot

Halkett should have went after Gordon's save.

As standard, I ****ing hate left footed penalty takers as well. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Totally wasted opportunity. The defending from them was junior standard. 

Thier goalie was terrible 

Scottie Wanshot.

I just wonder if Boyce and Halliday where still on the park, would they have taken the penalties that  Kingsley and Whigton missed. and if we had turned up for the first half, we might not have been 2 - 0 down at half time.  But fantastic effort today.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
Just now, davemclaren said:

Championship top team v second top Premiership team 

I think we will get better chances. 

Yeah strange take claiming its our best chance. We're a team hamstrung by playing against limited opposition every week and we have a limited budget due to that fact of playing in the championship.

We'll have better chances in future. In summer. In front of crowds.

Just now, Scottie Wanshot. said:

I just wonder if Boyce and Halliday where still on the park, would they have taken the penalties that  Kingsley and Whigton missed. and if we had turned up for the first half, we might not have been 2 - 0 down at half time.  But fantastic effort today.

If, buts and maybes. 

7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agreed. Halkett previously took pens for Livi. Maybe he didn’t fancy it though? Who knows. Terribly unfortunate today 

1 minute ago, Famous 1874 said:

Agreed. Halkett previously took pens for Livi. Maybe he didn’t fancy it though? Who knows. Terribly unfortunate today 

He could barely walk at the end,  probably played a part.

Leveins Battalion

Nothing but proud of the boys. 

Onwards and upwards.

Love the Hearts.

Edited by Leveins Battalion

Penalties weren't missed, they were saved. We missed chances in the 90 minutes, Celtic spurned a few over 120 mins, including x2 at the very end. 

Fine margins, like the semi. Gutted at the result, but the team recovered from a potential hammering at the start.

We started with the wrong game plan against a vulnerable team. But overall performance gives me confidence that we'll stay top this season.

16 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

Find the forensic analysis of penalties a bit unfair on the players who missed. After someone's missed it's pretty obvious he should have done something different. Kingsley and Wighton will be in bits.

Both penalties were on target into the corner. Good saves. 

You see plenty successful penalties that could have been saved. 

Of course its disappointing.

Disser Pointon
16 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

And short fecking run ups!!!!!! 

Selkirkhmfc1874
22 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Championship top team v second top Premiership team 

I think we will get better chances. 

Won't get better chance than Gordon saving penalty to put us ahead Dave ! Kingsley at that stage gotta go hard straight down the middle with conviction 

Different Class

Won't get over that until the next time we win the cup. That's penalties for you, magnified by an extremely unlikely comeback. The heart says it would've been easier to take a 2-0 defeat.

However the head says these are the moments the club needs to use the anger and disappointment to keep momentum building. Not feel sorry for ourselves. Keep getting to Hampden and it will come. :flag2: 

20 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Snap.  My heart sank when I saw that.  I love left footed players but not at taking penalties.  For me it should have been Halkett or Berra.  Possibly even Ginelly as he had the confidence of having already scored.

Proud of them all but Neilson really needs to explain that first half.  As soon as we started pressing we just about had them on toast.

Selkirkhmfc1874
4 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Snap.  My heart sank when I saw that.  I love left footed players but not at taking penalties.  For me it should have been Halkett or Berra.  Possibly even Ginelly as he had the confidence of having already scored.

Proud of them all but Neilson really needs to explain that first half.  As soon as we started pressing we just about had them on toast.

Berra left footed

6 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Won't get better chance than Gordon saving penalty to put us ahead Dave ! Kingsley at that stage gotta go hard straight down the middle with conviction 

Poor penalties but we will still have better chances in the future to win the cup. Hopefully in my lifetime. 

23 minutes ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

bad enough how we are feeling, but the players will feel even worse.

Make it up in the league............or else.

Never get a better chance - that implies that we have no chance in future of winning the cup if we play Celtic in the final. Sorry, but I can't agree. Celtic have had worse teams than this in the past and we have had better teams. They lead us 3-2 in Scottish Cup Finals and overall we've beat them countless times in the past. Today they were lucky. Bring it on again I say.  

I don't know if the takers are decided before or are volunteers. Obviously Boyce and Halliday were both unavailable. I think Both Halliday and Berra would have leatherted the ball but who knows if they hit the target. The only penalty I will ever criticize is a panenka gone wrong. Had Craig stood up for Edouard's it would have been hysterical

I think we said the same 16 months or so ago. Never get a better change against Celtic in a cup final when we are ahead with 15mins to go and totally cruising in the game. 

1 minute ago, Jamhammer said:

I don't know if the takers are decided before or are volunteers. Obviously Boyce and Halliday were both unavailable. I think Both Halliday and Berra would have leatherted the ball but who knows if they hit the target. The only penalty I will ever criticize is a panenka gone wrong. Had Craig stood up for Edouard's it would have been hysterical

I love how GKs get no criticism at pens it is all on the takers. 

Craig G is a brilliant keeper but he’s never been good at pens. Never saved many. He did save one today and it was a decent one. I have to say though I would have stayed up against Aier, he was always blasting it down the middle. 

but this is the point, I would have, should have could have, is always said after a missed penalty. It is what it is. Christie is a sensational player and he could have done something different with his pen. 

2 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

I love how GKs get no criticism at pens it is all on the takers. 

Craig G is a brilliant keeper but he’s never been good at pens. Never saved many. He did save one today and it was a decent one. I have to say though I would have stayed up against Aier, he was always blasting it down the middle. 

but this is the point, I would have, should have could have, is always said after a missed penalty. It is what it is. Christie is a sensational player and he could have done something different with his pen. 

Agree, as I've said elsewhere if you look at the absolute legends who have missed crucial pens. Van Basten, Baggio, Robbo.

Modern keepers nearly always commit themselves. Stand up and give yourself a chance. It was a good save from Craig mind. Good height on it.

"never get a better chance"

That's what we said last year.

And we're saying it again now.

I think that could perhaps be considered as being progress?

Edited by Cade

Different Class
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

"never get a better chance"

That's what we said last year.

And we're saying it again now.

I think that could perhaps be considered as being progress?

Exactly 

There will always be chances for us. There are only a handful of teams who have a realistic chance of winning a trophy in Scotland and we are one of them. If Hamilton had just lost a final on penalties, that would be in the 'never a better chance' category but we have been in the semi or final of the the last four cups prior to the Alloa debacle. 

Penalties aside as they are a lottery, we had a great chance.

That first half where Neilson spent 45minss catching up on what the rest of Scottish Football, UK football and European football know will haunt Neilson,  the players (who looked haunted in first half), and the fans more than the penalties.

Celtic played the same way all game, poorly.

We were great 46mins onwards when we worked out how to play them.

2 hours ago, Gambo said:

Penalties aside as they are a lottery, we had a great chance.

That first half where Neilson spent 45minss catching up on what the rest of Scottish Football, UK football and European football know will haunt Neilson,  the players (who looked haunted in first half), and the fans more than the penalties.

Celtic played the same way all game, poorly.

We were great 46mins onwards when we worked out how to play them.

Like most others I wanted Ginnelly to start. He ended up playing 63 minutes and looked full of running at the end. Just feel we should have been more proactive from the outset. Ultimately very happy with the performance from 2nd half onwards but it doesn't obscure what was a  lack lustre first half. They had a rookie goalkeeper who guessed right in the penalty shoot out but part of the game plan should have been to put him under early pressure.

3 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Like most others I wanted Ginnelly to start. He ended up playing 63 minutes and looked full of running at the end. Just feel we should have been more proactive from the outset. Ultimately very happy with the performance from 2nd half onwards but it doesn't obscure what was a  lack lustre first half. They had a rookie goalkeeper who guessed right in the penalty shoot out but part of the game plan should have been to put him under early pressure.

Agreed.