Coca-Cola cup final Hearts v Rangers 96

jamtartan74

Been meaning to watch this game back for years and only just got round to doing it now. If any of you young pups haven’t watched it back I urge you to do so, what a game that was. The 2nd half in particular we were outstanding, but typical of Gazza to go and bang in a couple totally against the run of play to effectively kill us off.  Colin Cameron was brilliant. But as most of us will remember that day for is a young Neil McCann, wow just wow. I always remember that game for how good he was that day but watching it back he was incredible, the best performance from a Hearts individual you will likely see, truly breathtaking. But as a whole, we were brilliant that 2nd half, the result (4-3) was not a true reflection of how the game went. Hopefully we put in a similar performance on Sunday and Ginnelly or someone puts in a performance like that young man did that day and the result goes our way this time. Come on the Heeeeeeaaaarrrrttttsss 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🏆🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

oops move to the terrace please mods 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edited by jamtartan74

Neil McCann was outstanding in that game.

I mind him taking out 3 defenders with just one flick of his back heel.

It still boggles me how we didn’t win that game. We were far and away the better team on the day.

Edited by iantjambo

I still think it was the best we have ever played in a final.  1998 we done the job but froze when they scored, Gretna was almost the biggest bottle job in history and 2012 hibs where absolutely shite.  1996 was around the best rangers side you’ll see, arguably the best Scottish footballing side you’ll side ever again.  We should have beaten them playing the most attacking football ever. 

16 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

It still boggles me how we didn’t win that game. We were far and away the better team on the day.

He ripped apart that rangers side in the 2nd half, they couldn’t handle him, honestly the best performance from a hearts player I have seen, every time he had the ball he was booed by the rangers support as they knew he was tearing them apart and was a danger to them. It is baffling how we lost that game but the genious of Gazza answers that one. 

I even watch that game and am somehow happy how good we where.

Sure we beat Celtic in the other rounds too late at night and I got to go (9 yr old) can’t even remember the semi but that was my first time in Celtic park. 

2 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

I still think it was the best we have ever played in a final.  1998 we done the job but froze when they scored, Gretna was almost the biggest bottle job in history and 2012 hibs where absolutely shite.  1996 was around the best rangers side you’ll see, arguably the best Scottish footballing side you’ll side ever again.  We should have beaten them playing the most attacking football ever. 

Agree with everything you said, I remember it well even before I have just watched it, we were outstanding, constantly in attack and der hun were toiling to stop us. Feel gutted about it now having watched it again, 24 years after it happened 😂

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

Sure we beat Celtic in the other rounds too late at night and I got to go (9 yr old) can’t even remember the semi but that was my first time in Celtic park. 

Cheers for posting the link, hope some of the younger ones watch it and appreciate how good that team was. Brilliant performance. 

23 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

He ripped apart that rangers side in the 2nd half, they couldn’t handle him, honestly the best performance from a hearts player I have seen, every time he had the ball he was booed by the rangers support as they knew he was tearing them apart and was a danger to them. It is baffling how we lost that game but the genious of Gazza answers that one. 

Gazza was the difference. If he wasn’t playing. We would’ve won.

45 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Correct. Should also add that in the lead up to his goal for 3-2 we should have had a foul on the touch line, and Craig Moore should have had a red card for an elbow/forearm smash into McCann which he got a yellow for instead. At full time some players and management were going a bit daft about something, my guess is Gazzas goal for 3-2, anyone able to shed light on that one?. The Hearts support were fantastic as always, nice to see the twirly and the Hearts song after full time during the presentation for the undeserving winners, GIRFUY 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

I honestly thought when our second went in that would be our day. Funny how even in another defeat leaving that game it felt like we weren’t far away from a right good team. 

Just now, stevie1874 said:

I honestly thought when our second went in that would be our day. Funny how even in another defeat leaving that game it felt like we weren’t far away from a right good team. 

I felt the same. But they got a goal immediately after our second. The dodgy one that jamtartan referenced above.

What a game!

Neil McCann ooooft

The Hearts support was magnificant that day. Loud as.

Remember standing outside in the snow and a rumour was going around that the game was cancellled.

Just now, Hector Riva said:

What a game!

Neil McCann ooooft

Remember standing outside in the snow and a rumour was going around that the game was cancellled.

Our bus was halfway along the M8 when we heard the game was in doubt.

When Rangers went 2-0 up, I turned to my brother and said "We're still winning this".  He thought I was mad but when Robbo equalized, we all believed it was happening.

It wasn't to be of course but the performance was incredible and probably the best I have seen us play in a cup final.  Neil McCann was world class that day, a born winner and exactly the type that I hope Joe Savage is looking for.

3 minutes ago, Finlay James said:

When Rangers went 2-0 up, I turned to my brother and said "We're still winning this".  He thought I was mad but when Robbo equalized, we all believed it was happening.

It wasn't to be of course but the performance was incredible and probably the best I have seen us play in a cup final.  Neil McCann was world class that day, a born winner and exactly the type that I hope Joe Savage is looking for.

Rangers scoring their 3rd shortly after we equalised was a sucker punch. The better team lost that day.

Can still remember going to the game and saying it doesn't feel like a cup final. There were flutters of snow outside aswell. 

Then when you walked through the stand at Parkhead and seen the pitch and the stadium full of fans the occasion hit you. 

Still baffled to this day that Mccann won a coca cola mountain bike for being motm 

Салатные палочки

Was touch and go whether the game would be on or not. I remember kicking through the slush on the way to the ground. 

I haven't watched the highlights for a while but was it before or after the equaliser that Mickley had a chance? Actually I think it was before. I thought at the time that was our chance gone.  

There was wee rosette stickers given out at the turnstiles. I stuck one to my schoolbag. 

Goldstone Wonder

My recollection of Gazza’s brilliant individual goal to make it 3-2 is that he shoved Robbie off the ball for a clear foul right in front of the ref at the start of his run.

to be fair our equaliser from Robbo was offside. 

Great game. 

Edited by Goldstone Wonder

Let’s not forget we were still in the hunt for our long awaited return to winning silverware at the time.  I was absolutely gutted at full time. 

The low of going down 2-0, to the high of getting level in the game and Hearts playing brilliantly, we all started to believe it was finally our day. 

I remember a Rangers fan telling me at work in the week afterwards that he’d never heard an opposition support so loud. 

1 hour ago, Hector Riva said:

What a game!

Neil McCann ooooft

Yeah remember that. We were in a club along From the ground and were told it was off!! Went back in ordered more drinks to then be told it was on and were running along the road by then it was all slush!! We were soaked when we got in. 😀 Good times 

24 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

3 main memories:

McCann

That strip

The Coca Cola bike 

The absolutely massive net of Coca Cola balloons above the stand I remember too!! 

Carl Fredrickson

After the previous final this one proved that we were improving as a team. JJ said after the game that if you keep knocking on a door it will eventually be opened. 

I think this final gave is confidence that we could go on and win a trophy - which we did 18 months later but with a different game plan 

The CC cup final had us playing free flowing football with attack being our aim and boy did we do it. The only final defeat I have left feeling optimistic. 

The strip that day was a cracker. We were in the main stand and the noise from the Hearts end was tremendous. McCann was untouchable. IIRC there was one point when Rangers put 3 players on him and he still beat them (might need to watch the game again)

I was dressed as Fred Flintstone and by the end of the game my outfit was saturated with sweat despite the weather being rotten.

Салатные палочки
29 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I remember a Rangers fan telling me at work in the week afterwards that he’d never heard an opposition support so loud. 

The "twirly" at half time. Proper lump in throat stuff that. Seemed like everyone in the ground was doing it. 

2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Our bus was halfway along the M8 when we heard the game was in doubt.

Our bus broke down on the M73 link, ended up hitching a lift on another Hearts bus.

Seat was right at the front behind goals, shit view in general but place went mental when Robbo equalised !

Neil Terry McCann. A winger worth talking about. How I miss wingers of his style. Electrifying pace, great control, and could cross the ball as well. 

He was formidable that day. To this day, I still don't know how he was on the losing team. 

It's still to this day, the best individual performance I have ever seen from a player in maroon. 

He destroyed the Rangers defence that day. 

It is true they put 3 men on him. He got passed them all. I remember it very well. 

I loved his quick jink of out to in. He destroyed his marker every time with it. 

I know we ended up selling him to Rangers a few years later, but I still have a high regard for McCann. He still says of all the trophies he won in his career. The Scottish Cup with us, is his best win. 

Isn't he also the only player to win Man of the match in a final, but be on the losing side? 

22 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

The "twirly" at half time. Proper lump in throat stuff that. Seemed like everyone in the ground was doing it. 

👍🏻  

5 hours ago, iantjambo said:

I don't think mccann got capped until he moved to rangers too.  Mental if true.  Does Craig brown not watch the cup finals?? 

I was there  He was a fabulous player and had the game of his life that day. Only Ryan Stevenson v Killie and Hartley v Hibs have come close since.

That was some advert for Scottish football when you look at the quality in both teams. 

Neil McCann was electrifying that day and tore rangers to bits. 

Gazzas moments of magic-won the game. Ability wise, best player to have played in Scotland in my opinion. 

That shade of maroon was a thing of beauty....  

I was only 9 but I miss the 90s haha 

complete control

Seat just next to the Rangers dug out.  Derek mcinnes wasn't stripped. Near the end of the game he was asking my mate to come ahead.  Doing it so no one could see. My mate  was fecking raging . Had to hold back. 

5 hours ago, Last Laff said:

My first at Celtic Park too. Mesmerising match.

Samuel Camazzola

The cup run began with as being taken to pens at Tynecastle by Stenhousemuir! I think it may have been McCann and Beckford's debuts. 

We had to go to extra time in the following rounds until we trounced Dundee at Easter Road. Paille got the mountain bike that day! 😄. During that season, I'm pretty sure there was a stat that we had scored more at Easter Road in three games than Hibs had managed in around a dozen. 

McCann was unbelievable in the final. If it wasn't for a blatant foul and a bit of Gazza magic, the cup was heading our way. 

Stopped at Harthill for the obligatory piss and there must have been 8/10 inches of snow there.  We were all really worried the game would've been called off.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

That was a team that got the fans behind them. Exciting football, commitment to the jersey and a desire to beat teams.

Outside the ground after the game, I was walking back to my car with my son, who was 9 at the time. It had been his first final. I was aware of someone walking quite quickly, coming up behind us. It was John Cumming. He ruffled my boy's hair, had a smile on his face, and said "maybe next time". Of course, he was right.

LarrysRightFoot

All our Cup finals in my living memory - 96 x 2, 98, 06, 12, 13 - have been memorable or notable for different reasons (good and bad) until 19 which wasn’t really anything to write home about - although I suppose it was historic for Celtic. 

Tomorrow is another one for the history book even before kick off due to the circumstances.

Really hope we do it tomorrow. Strangely not feeling nervous (yet) - probably due to the strange circumstances and not being able to go.

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

6 hours ago, iantjambo said:

And Goram, and McCoist, and Laudrup. 

However, we had Robbo, McCann and Mickey. 

The talent on show was phenomenal. 

Jock Brown comment about Heart's first chance, right after Robbo's attempt (I know it was highlights.)

Comment about there being no queue to join the wall for Albertz' free kick, but the wall did not flinch. 

Two goals against initiated by possession gained by a foul. No yellows for systematic fouling of McCann. 

However, an outstanding Hearts performance of skill and commitment. What I would give for that now.

And Robbo was a better striker than Coisty. He just got more chances.

This was a brilliant match. Wasn’t it under threat from the weather? I have a vague recollection of heavy snow before the game. 

We were outstanding, and thoroughly deserved to win the cup -but they had  Gascoigne. 

After the game I had come to accept that I’d never see us lift a trophy, which made 1998 all the sweeter. 

This was a couple of days before my 18th birthday, after the loss at Hampden in the Scottish Cup there was a feeling that it might never happen for us.

We were halfway along the M8 on the Craigmillar Hearts supporters bus when the news came through the game was on.

What a game, Neil McCann produced the single greatest performance I have ever seen in the flesh from a Hearts player, truly remarkable that day. We lost, but the feeling coming out of Parkhead was of optimism, we had shown we could compete and we were not far away. I still think this loss set us up for the final win in 98

As for Gazza, I haven't watched it back in years but his dangerously flying elbows should have saw his goals chalked off but no way Dallas was penalising Rangers 

I never understood why the blatant foul on the touch line was not given on the lead up to their third goal. That changed the momentum of the game back to rangeers.

Talking about fouls not given - Still to this day, I cannot believe the blatant foul on Sandy Clark at Dens was not a penalty!!

I was at the game with my dad and both of us could not believe how good McCann was that day. Rangers had to put 3 men on him to try and stop him. Great atmosphere even though we lost. 

7 hours ago, jamtartan74 said:

Correct. Should also add that in the lead up to his goal for 3-2 we should have had a foul on the touch line, and Craig Moore should have had a red card for an elbow/forearm smash into McCann which he got a yellow for instead. At full time some players and management were going a bit daft about something, my guess is Gazzas goal for 3-2, anyone able to shed light on that one?. The Hearts support were fantastic as always, nice to see the twirly and the Hearts song after full time during the presentation for the undeserving winners, GIRFUY 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

I think the stand side linesman asked to get his photo taken with the winning team. Gary Mackay seemed to go ballistic at this as it was that linesman who "missed" the foul in the lead up to Rangers' 3rd goal. It is very unusual for officials to get their photo taken after the game. I might be wrong, but Gary was pointing at the official and had his hands on his head which was very understandable.

10 minutes ago, JTJ said:

I think the stand side linesman asked to get his photo taken with the winning team. Gary Mackay seemed to go ballistic at this as it was that linesman who "missed" the foul in the lead up to Rangers' 3rd goal. It is very unusual for officials to get their photo taken after the game. I might be wrong, but Gary was pointing at the official and had his hands on his head which was very understandable.

Oh I never realised that, that’s a bit naughty, no wonder they weren’t happy then if that’s true. 

1 hour ago, gowestjambo said:

I never understood why the blatant foul on the touch line was not given on the lead up to their third goal. That changed the momentum of the game back to rangeers.

Talking about fouls not given - Still to this day, I cannot believe the blatant foul on Sandy Clark at Dens was not a penalty!!

Don’t go there... 🥴

Leveins Battalion

I was 13 then,went on the old Porters Pub bus,late getting to Parkhead and the 1st thing I saw when I got in the ground was McCoist making it 2-0.....

Neil McCann was magnificent that night,akin to Kevin Mcalister against us a year or 2 later,both deserved to be winners.