Discord (the new Podcast tool)

Deodato

JKB - there's a few Podcasters on here, making sure you've heard about Discord. 

https://discord.com/

This is scaling off the charts, moving the format away from one-way podcasts and to a new model where everyone and anyone can host a two-way radio phone in. Timely given lockdown. 

The UX isn't pretty, but it crushes Slack, Podcast and Blogs all in one. And it's huge with the gaming crew. 

Mods - you may want to get a JKB hub on Discord and let it grow from there. 

Deodato 

On 15/12/2020 at 13:15, Deodato said:

JKB - there's a few Podcasters on here, making sure you've heard about Discord. 

https://discord.com/

This is scaling off the charts, moving the format away from one-way podcasts and to a new model where everyone and anyone can host a two-way radio phone in. Timely given lockdown. 

The UX isn't pretty, but it crushes Slack, Podcast and Blogs all in one. And it's huge with the gaming crew. 

Mods - you may want to get a JKB hub on Discord and let it grow from there. 

Deodato 

As a word of warning.  I play a game online called Achaea.  I got heavily into Discord during the first lockdown.

As a result I met up with someone and am now engaged, and she is emigrating here next year.  Be warned!

Discord is another money making scheme for morons. 

The whole world is going to turn into rich youtube plebs with no talent. 

**** the lot of them. 

5 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Discord is another money making scheme for morons. 

The whole world is going to turn into rich youtube plebs with no talent. 

**** the lot of them. 

In her defence, I'm much poorer

12 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

In her defence, I'm much poorer

And you've probably worked harder for an honest living. 

As i said, **** the lot of them. 

8 hours ago, Dandyman79 said:

Could a jkb discord be used for mafia @iantjambo @Shapes @Boof

I was going to say I haven't a ****ing clue what Discord is...so I watched the video.

On that quick look it does seem as if it would work for a JKB Mafia game. Does it have the same post-search and quote functionality? And would that make it private from other JKB-ers? I sometimes wonder if non-players ever visit our games just for a look-see to find out what's going on. Or by fat-fingered accident :lol: 

In fact I DO know that even if I happen to be too busy to play a game, I'll still look in from time to time to try and detect goons.

Certainly nothing to stop the separate teams having their own Discord groups, though that might make it less fun for the game mod 🤔

Tenaciousdandy
1 hour ago, Boof said:

I was going to say I haven't a ****ing clue what Discord is...so I watched the video.

On that quick look it does seem as if it would work for a JKB Mafia game. Does it have the same post-search and quote functionality? And would that make it private from other JKB-ers? I sometimes wonder if non-players ever visit our games just for a look-see to find out what's going on. Or by fat-fingered accident :lol: 

In fact I DO know that even if I happen to be too busy to play a game, I'll still look in from time to time to try and detect goons.

Certainly nothing to stop the separate teams having their own Discord groups, though that might make it less fun for the game mod 🤔

I've not used discord a lot its mainly a chat app for gamers etc, I was thinking more along the lines for the team chats so not having to use the messenger part of jkb, stopping activity viewing, not that anyone does that anymore 

39 minutes ago, Dandyman79 said:

I've not used discord a lot its mainly a chat app for gamers etc, I was thinking more along the lines for the team chats so not having to use the messenger part of jkb, stopping activity viewing, not that anyone does that anymore 

Yeah - that would work. I remember discovering by accident that even just hovering over someone's name gave you an indication of what they were currently doing. Obviously it could be something as innocent as member A wishing their granny a happy birthday but in a game with such small margins it would be hard to disregard! :lol: 

Backing up on Discord, check out how Vlogger HughWizzy is using it for the Arsenal watch-along and phone in. I see this as highly disruptive. One guy with a laptop and a free app is able to produce a better show than Robbie Savage and all the muppets who do that phone in on BBC5Live. 

More and more folks are following suit - podcasts are one-way, Discord is one-to-many. Hottest start up in the Valley right now and perfect for fans forums. The app Telegram has just added voice functionality as well - so its clear the wind is in this app's sail. 

Meanwhile - Chelsea, well well, Arsenal just left you in the mud. 

• 1 year later...