Copa Libertadores live on BBC

CJGJ

BBC to show live Copa Libertadores matches - BBC Sport

The BBC will show seven remaining games from the Copa Libertadores, including both semi-finals and the final.

The first to be shown is the quarter-final second-leg tie between Nacional and 2019 runners-up River Plate at 00:30 GMT on Friday, 18 December.

The second leg of the all-Argentine last-eight tie between Racing and Carlos Tevez's Boca Juniors is live at the same time on Thursday, 24 December.

Both will be on the BBC Sport website, Red Button and iPlayer.

The Copa Libertadores is South America's equivalent of the Champions League, featuring the most successful sides from across the continent.

Like most football across the globe this year, its schedule has been affected by the coronavirus pandemic, with the tournament suspended after matchday two of the group stage before resuming on 15 September.

There is a special poignancy this year with one of the competition's most decorated sides, Boca Juniors, competing shortly after the death of their former player and football icon Diego Maradona.

River Plate have also recently lost a prominent former player in Alejandro Sabella, who, like Maradona, is also an ex-Argentine international player and coach.

The holders of the Copa Libertadores are Brazilian side Flamengo, who were knocked out in the last 16 by Racing.

Three other Brazilian sides remain in the competition - Gremio, Santos and Palmeiras - with the first two meeting each other in the quarters.

Uruguayans Nacional are top of their domestic league.

Paraguayan side Libertad - who face Palmeiras - complete the list of the last eight.

The final of the tournament will be held on 30 January 2021 at the famous Maracana in Rio, Brazil.

Copa Libertadores quarter-finals (all times GMT)
  1st leg 2nd leg
Gremio (Bra) v Santos (Bra) 1-1 16 Dec (22:15)
River Plate (Arg) v Nacional (Uru) 2-0 18 Dec (00:30)
Libertad (Par) v Palmeiras (Bra) 1-1 16 Dec (00:30)
Racing (Arg) v Boca Juniors (Arg) 17 Dec (00:30) 24 Dec (00:30)

Cheers @CJGJ. Fond memories of watching this at daft o'clock with an equally football daft uncle on eurosport or something like that about 30 years ago in the original bskyb days 😂 might have to try stay awake for what looks like some tasty ties 

Santos won 4-1 

River Plate 6-2

Palmeiras 2-0......all progress to the semi finals

Racing beat Boca 1-0 in the first leg...second leg 24/12/2020

• 3 weeks later...

I’d love it to be another Boca v River Plate final. 
The 2nd leg of the 2018 (postponed/moved) final in Madrid was brilliant.

Recorded the game from earlier, not looking good for River Plate, down to ten men and 3-0 to Palmeiras at 83 mins. Looking forward to Boca v Santos tonight. 

On 04/01/2021 at 19:21, cb1874 said:

I’d love it to be another Boca v River Plate final. 
The 2nd leg of the 2018 (postponed/moved) final in Madrid was brilliant.

yeah i was at that one in the River end, was fantastic.

Would love to go and see it in Argentina 

Disappointed River didn’t make it through as they’ve got such a cool strip it’s hard not to root for them. So I’ll shift my loyalty to Santos based on the fact I bought one of their tops from Thompson’s Sport on Junction Street when I was about 14. 

Edited by Tazio

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Disappointed River didn’t make it through as they’ve got such a cool strip it’s hard not to root for them. So I’ll shift my loyalty to Santos based on the fact I bought one of their tops from Thompson’s Sport on Junction Street when I was about 14. 

3-0 down after 1st leg. Not out yet.

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

50 years of supporting Hearts have made me pessimistic by nature. Based on last night showing they’ll be lucky to make anything back, could be very different with a full crowd behind them but sadly not possible. 

With Boca drawing 0-0 at home to Santos we could see an all Brazilian final

Santos v Palmeiras ?....2nd legs next week 13/1.

In the late 80s we played a home friendly against the Brazilian side Cruzeiro.  In the evening news it said they were the Brazilian champions.  

Were they the current league holders when we played them or they had been?  

Midloth_Iain
2 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

In the late 80s we played a home friendly against the Brazilian side Cruzeiro.  In the evening news it said they were the Brazilian champions.  

Were they the current league holders when we played them or they had been?  

National Honours:
Campeonato Brasileiro Série A (4): 1966, 2003, 2013, 2014
Copa do Brasil (6): 1993, 1996, 2000, 2003, 2017, 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruzeiro_Esporte_Clube#National

10 hours ago, jonesy said:

Boca have a big banner that just says Budge.

Guessing they are big fans of her work?

I've just checked with their Ultras, there was a bit of confusion and they missed out 'Bolt' at the end. 

2 hours ago, Midloth_Iain said:

National Honours:
Campeonato Brasileiro Série A (4): 1966, 2003, 2013, 2014
Copa do Brasil (6): 1993, 1996, 2000, 2003, 2017, 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruzeiro_Esporte_Clube#National

It must've read been champions.  They didn't look like the Brazilian champions on the night.   All I can remember is their tops with coca cola on it.  

I remember Cruzeiro slaughtered Celtic and Gerry McNee on Scotsport (Sunday before) said we should cancel our game as we'd lose by more and it would be "embarrassing".

As it turned out they could only score one and we scored with both our attacks to win 2-1. Lucky yes, but a decent game with their skills worth watching. I've no idea how strong a side they put out.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
13 hours ago, jonesy said:

Boca have a big banner that just says Budge.

Guessing they are big fans of her work?

Still working on the ‘out’ section

21 hours ago, allyjambo said:

yeah i was at that one in the River end, was fantastic.

Would love to go and see it in Argentina 

There you go...these guys organise week long trips to take in a bunch of games. There'd be a premium to pay if you wanted to attend the Boca V River derby....but I wouldn't be going all that way to watch it on the telly.

https://homefans.net/tour/ultimate-argentina/

19 hours ago, cb1874 said:

There you go...these guys organise week long trips to take in a bunch of games. There'd be a premium to pay if you wanted to attend the Boca V River derby....but I wouldn't be going all that way to watch it on the telly.

https://homefans.net/tour/ultimate-argentina/

I went to Boca 10 years ago to watch them play Belgrano (the team that relegated River Plate). Watch this video of the famous River fan. 

Atmosphere at the game was mental. If you fancy going use a company we went with Vamos a La Cancha search on Instagram. Book your own flights and hotel. Stay central. The area of Boca at night is dangerous like a midweek at Parkhead with guns plus having someone with you who speaks English with you at the game will translate the songs - mostly about River being "lady front bottoms'. 

When the pandemic ends it is deffo worth a visit. The Budge Ultras were there 10 years ago too. You can also get the catamaran across the Rio del Plata and go to Montevideo to see Penarth. Oh and watch yourself on the metro in BA 2 of my mates got their wallets nicked.

On 06/01/2021 at 22:44, Mikey1874 said:

Ooft. Pulled it back to 3-2 on aggregate by half time tonight. It looked early on like they were struggling to adapt to the artificial pitch but they’ve got the hang of it now. 

20 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Ooft. Pulled it back to 3-2 on aggregate by half time tonight. It looked early on like they were struggling to adapt to the artificial pitch but they’ve got the hang of it now. 

Interestingly poised game like

What the **** is going on with VAR? I’m not even sure what is going on there. Nothing to see, and nothing spotted by an experienced commentator and an ex pro on several watches. Farcical. 

Just now, Tazio said:

What the **** is going on with VAR? I’m not even sure what is going on there. Nothing to see, and nothing spotted by an experienced commentator and an ex pro on several watches. Farcical. 

No idea , weird as , i dont know what they saw , I couldn’t see anything on any of the replays 🤷🏻‍♂️

That might be the only way Palmerias are keeping themselves in this. River have lost their edge since that goal was not given

This games got everything. Disallowed goal for River, red card for River, a minute later a penalty to River, River player booked for wanting the player who gave the penalty away red carded, now the ref is checking VAR if it’s a penalty. Now he’s cancelled it. 
And I reckon the River players will be well pissed of so let’s hope they keep the head. Or if not at least banjo some *****. 

Just now, Tazio said:

This games got everything. Disallowed goal for River, red card for River, a minute later a penalty to River, River player booked for wanting the player who gave the penalty away red carded, now the ref is checking VAR if it’s a penalty. Now he’s cancelled it. 
And I reckon the River players will be well pissed of so let’s hope they keep the head. Or if not at least banjo some *****. 

Cracking isnt it. 

Just now, sadj said:

Cracking isnt it. 

Im glad I stayed up. I wasn’t going to bother as I’d given up on River getting anything. I hope this ref isn’t planning any holidays to Buenos Aires anytime soon. Or certainly certain areas of it. 

Just now, Tazio said:

Im glad I stayed up. I wasn’t going to bother as I’d given up on River getting anything. I hope this ref isn’t planning any holidays to Buenos Aires anytime soon. Or certainly certain areas of it. 

Still no idea why the goal was disallowed , the pen was 50/50 but as it was given I wouldn’t have said it was clear enough of a dive to overturn. He def won’t be going anywhere near  Buenos Aires for sure. 

no idea how that stayed out there either 🤣 River could be 7-0 up

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Still no idea why the goal was disallowed , the pen was 50/50 but as it was given I wouldn’t have said it was clear enough of a dive to overturn. He def won’t be going anywhere near  Buenos Aires for sure. 

no idea how that stayed out there either 🤣 River could be 7-0 up

A marginal offside about six passes before the ball went in.

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Yep. 10.15pm on iPlayer. This is one of those games you don’t want to stop. 

Indeed , its been almost as good as the cup final imo

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Palmeiras arseholes. River deserved that. 

Didnt they just , can you imagine that happening over here if that was us 3-2 up against the OF?