Consumer Rights....anyone ITK or have experience with an issue?

highlandjambo3

highlandjambo3

I bought an electrical assist bike from Halfords in July this year (not cheap), after 1 run out it failed to recharge, easy fix, they gave me a replacement but I had to wait 3 weeks due to supply issues.  Got the replacement bike and since August I have ran up about 400 miles however, during a cleaning session in November I noticed 2 rear spokes had detached from the rear wheel (turns out they were broken).  I called Halfords who advised me to book the bike in for a check which was done on 17 Nov where it was confirmed “yes” two spokes were broken (like they didn’t believe me when I called).

Anyway, I was told they would have to order in new spokes and,  could I bring it in on the next repair spot was 27th November which I booked.  Took the bike down 27th and the technician said there was a problem with spoke supplies but, they would be in touch when it was ready for collection.  I called on the 8th December, no change and they did not know when the supplier would provide replacement spokes.

So, I’m going to give them till the 17 December, which is one full month to effect repairs or I’ll: (over to you)

1.  Demand a replacement bike.

2. Demand a refund.

Note:

a. They have made no attempt to contact me to keep me in the loop.

b.  The bike is designed and manufactured by Halfords..... its one of their own.

c.  I’ve been informed that the broken spokes may be viewed as miss use and not a design flaw and, I may need to pay for repair, which I’ll strongly dispute.  

d.  They still have the bike.

Where do I stand with this?

You can have either of your demands. Choice is yours. If it was my choice, I would be looking at demand 2. How did you pay for the bike? Hopefully by credit card which gives you additional rights under The Consumer Credit Act

c.  I’ve been informed that the broken spokes may be viewed as miss use and not a design flaw and, I may need to pay for repair, which I’ll strongly dispute.  

Tricky. I had a Volvo once with a design flaw. It was a coupe (c70) and the doors were too heavy as all volvos are tanks. It caused the hinges to slightly fall causing a bit of scraping leading to corrosion. They told me it was wear and tear but as an act of goodwill they paid to fix it. The guy at the garage told me it was a common problem but Volvo would not admit it.

So there is your issue, if they do not admit to it being a design flaw you might be dependent on goodwill.