John Le Carré dead

RobboM

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/dec/13/john-le-carre-author-of-tinker-tailor-soldier-spy-dies-aged-89

Good innings, terrific writer.
I grew up in Cornwall and close to where he lived. I remember my friend's family had a signed copy of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy they said from a nearby neighbour, though that didn't mean much to me for a long time. That family fished out of a local cove and my friend's brother was given a  credit on one of Le Carre's books for advice given on walking moorland at night .... mind you the brother also spent time inside for smuggling. I have a very Cornish name and one of the very few times I have seen it was in one of le Carre's books. Apparantly he used to pick names out of the Penzance phone directory. I'm sad not to have any more of his books to read.

Probably the best espionage writer there ever was.

Having worked for both MI5 and MI6 during the 1950s and 60s, he knew exactly what he was writing about.

I just finished reading a book by him a few days ago: "The Pigeon Tunnel", which is a series of memoirs rather than a novel. Very interesting and enjoyable - he certainly led an amazing, eventful, and full life - and within which he very modestly and unassumingly recounts his encounters with many powerful and influential figures of the past 60-70 years.

He was also a very good writer and came across as a decent man, and one who cared deeply about those suffering from oppression and authoritarianism throughout the world.

Francis Albert

Best writer about the world of espionage but beyond that a great writer full stop. His experience in the secret service was actually surprisingly brief but his novels for decades afterwards rang true however true they actually were. 

Superb author, Smiley's people probably one of the best espionage series I've ever watched on television and Alec Guinness for me was George Smiley.

Though to be fair, Gary Oldman did do a very reasonable job in the film version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

A man who definitely knew his subject.

Rupert Pupkin

😢😢😢

The Smiley books are brilliant. Have read em all.

I’m currently half way through “The Night Manager “

RIP John, a true literary great .

Edited by Rupert Pupkin