NHS Gratitude

otterjohn

*Warning* This is a me me and me post

I had to go into St Johns hospital for surgery earlier on this week.

I just feel like I have to tell everyone how lucky we are to have such a fantastic Health Service despite the continued problems it faces.

From the minute I entered the hospital and welcomed by friendly staff at the front door it was a  very humbling experience. The nurses ,doctors ,anesthetic staff and porters couldn't have been more professional ,friendly and caring.

I've had a lot of surgery in quite a few hospitals the last few years and

not one bad experience.

God Bless any NHS staff reading this and Thank You very much for everything you've done for me.You are all angels in my eyes

Dagger Is Back
21 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

I just feel like I have to tell everyone how lucky we are to have such a fantastic Health Service despite the continued problems it faces.

From the minute I entered the hospital and welcomed by friendly staff at the front door it was a  very humbling experience. The nurses ,doctors ,anesthetic staff and porters couldn't have been more professional ,friendly and caring.

not one bad experience.

God Bless any NHS staff reading this and Thank You very much for everything you've done for me.You are all angels in my eyes

Hope your surgery went well. I was in St John’s in June when I nicked the radial artery in my arm,

Nothing but praise for the help

i got from the starting whistle all the way through.

One thing that struck me was how positive everyone was and also how many staff were from Europe.

I’m not up to date with what Brexit will bring us in terms of employment but we’re so bloody lucky to have the NHS as an institution and the people who keep that institution going

2 hours ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Hope your surgery went well. I was in St John’s in June when I nicked the radial artery in my arm,

Nothing but praise for the help

i got from the starting whistle all the way through.

One thing that struck me was how positive everyone was and also how many staff were from Europe.

I’m not up to date with what Brexit will bring us in terms of employment but we’re so bloody lucky to have the NHS as an institution and the people who keep that institution going

My 76 year old Dad has recently had a new hip on the NHS. He also suffers with early stages of dementia so finds some of life’s more simple tasks difficult never mind the challenge of an operation.

Has to be said despite the OP being cancelled twice due to Covid the whole process has been magnificent. He has been incredibly complimentary to the team who operated on him and all the nurses who looked after him after the OP.

He was out the next day and has followed the physiotherapy program to a T and is now on one stick and self sufficient. Able to get himself up and about, shower and dress himself.

Quite remarkable considering it was only 3 weeks ago.

The care he received during and after his OP has without doubt speeded up his recovery.

Edited by Vlad Magic

21 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

My 76 year old Dad has recently had a new hip on the NHS. He also suffers with early stages of dementia so finds some of life’s more simple tasks difficult never mind the challenge of an operation.

Has to be said despite the OP being cancelled twice due to Covid the whole process has been magnificent. He has been incredibly complimentary to the team who operated on him and all the nurses who looked after him after the OP.

He was out the next day and has followed the physiotherapy program to a T and is now on one stick and self sufficient. Able to get himself up and about, shower and dress himself.

Quite remarkable considering it was only 3 weeks ago.

The care he received during and after his OP has without doubt speeded up his recovery.

great to hear Vlad Ive had my both hips replaced at the Golden Jubilee and couldnt fault it .Because i had to be in hospital at 8am both times I was given a free room in the hotel thats joined to the hospital .Luxury

Our NHS is superb , hope you are better Otterjohn.

Ive used the service over the years from 2 broken wrists, cut elbow,

cut leg, cut finger, appendix removal, swallowed a whistle😧and treated

very well every time.

Captain Lithuania

I’ve had a broken foot for 3 years which they missed 3 times on an X-Ray and I have been waiting for an operation to fix it for nearly a year now. 

However I am sure if my head was falling off they’d be brilliant. 

10 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

very well every time.

I'm sorry, Harry, but I had to laugh at the image of someone whistling every time they burped like in one of the old Looney Tunes cartoons.

How did they sort that one out?

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I'm sorry, Harry, but I had to laugh at the image of someone whistling every time they burped like in one of the old Looney Tunes cartoons.

By natural process, think it was on the sunday or monday, and i had till the thursday to pass it, it appeared on the wed night lol.

Just now, Harry Potter said:

By natural process, think it was on the sunday or monday, and i had till the thursday to pass it, it appeared on the wed night lol.

I'm glad it worked out.

Geddyalexneil

Glad things went well Otterjohn.

I absolutely agree with you on the NHS. I have in the last few years been in and out of hopitals as well as my local surgery and all my experiences have been positive. The staff are superb wherever I have been. 

We are very lucky to have the NHS and we should protect it at all costs. I don't think I would have been here if health care was private due to finances (I am not in poverty, but the bill for the stent operation and stay would have bankrupted me probably).

Until I turned 50 the only times I had been at the hospital for treatment was for broken bones and a tooth being stuck on the top of my head... honest! That caused some laughs at A & E 😂. Last few years I seem to be a regular but no complaints from me, only praise.

13 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

After finding it again, did you ever use the whistle again?

Anyway, as others have said, wevare extremely lucky to have the NHS. I am a clumsy bugger and have had many trips to A and E, also been a lot recently as I'm now waiting on a new hip. A more professional and caring service must be almost impossible to find.

39 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

very well every time.

Walking disaster area, no wonder the NHS is stretched with the likes of you stoatin around self harming.

30 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Walking disaster area, no wonder the NHS is stretched with the likes of you stoatin around self harming.

😮aye, its not easy, 

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

all very well but we still dont know what you were up to when you swallowed the whistle

1 hour ago, Captain Lithuania said:

I’ve had a broken foot for 3 years which they missed 3 times on an X-Ray and I have been waiting for an operation to fix it for nearly a year now. 

However I am sure if my head was falling off they’d be brilliant. 

Sorry youve had that experience but im sure your in a very small minority.Have you spoken to the waiting times people and explained.Hope its sorted for you soon

Captain Lithuania
1 hour ago, otterjohn said:

Sorry youve had that experience but im sure your in a very small minority.Have you spoken to the waiting times people and explained.Hope its sorted for you soon

I’m sure I am in a small minority. I am quite young and I can still walk relatively pain free, the bones are likely to just break again  without a pin in it. 

I am on a waiting list, got a letter saying COVID is delaying these routine procedures and rightly so. 

The only annoying part is that it was missed a couple of times over the last 3-4 years. For what it’s worth I think the NHS are great, especially in times of emergency. 

23 hours ago, otterjohn said:

not one bad experience.

how long were you in for? 

My wife works in St Johns kitchens so likelihood is she'd have sorted your meals for you at some point. 

I was a porter for 5 years in St Johns (left 1999) and could tell you a story or 2 about arsehole patients... ;) 

I may have been an angel then but now I'm just a warehouse prick .

On a serious note though, this country (UK) doesn't really know or appreciate what it has in the NHS.. 

I truly believe it is the envy of the world as far as Health care Systems go... 

I really hope the current and future govt realise what a remarkable organisation it is. 

27 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

how long were you in for? 

My wife works in St Johns kitchens so likelihood is she'd have sorted your meals for you at some point. 

I was a porter for 5 years in St Johns (left 1999) and could tell you a story or 2 about arsehole patients... ;) 

I may have been an angel then but now I'm just a warehouse prick .

On a serious note though, this country (UK) doesn't really know or appreciate what it has in the NHS.. 

I truly believe it is the envy of the world as far as Health care Systems go... 

I really hope the current and future govt realise what a remarkable organisation it is. 

Hi muldoon 74 On this occasion I was in overnight but had to go back in for some more stitches the following day Everyone involved were great at caring for me

I still have a lot of surgery to get done but It dosent worry me, I have complete trust in any of the hospitals I'm lucky to be treated at

Im sure there's much more to you than being a warehouse prick.

Being a good Jambo is one

J.T.F.Robertson

It would be wonderful, if instead of describing them as "heroes", they (we) actually paid them what they're worth. 

That would be a bit too economically inconvenient.

With any big organisation people will have different experiences. My laddie plays football and is pretty good. He broke a bone during lockdown, was in minor injuries in the evening and the next day was in was in for an op and out by lunchtime. Have no doubt this swift action has stopped longer term issues.

33 minutes ago, otterjohn said:

Good news he got sorted quickly.Are we likely to see him gracing the famous maroon

Thanks, not in the short term as not one of the clubs looking at him.

Cant speak highly enough about the Care we receive. Had to get a very large mole on back looked at as had been bothering me for a few months. Went in at 11.50am and left at 1.30pm mole free and 16 stitches. No messing around and the nurses, docs etc were all excellent.