Barbara Windsor dies

neilnunb

1 hour ago, Lone Striker said:

Bob  - I think Maroon Sailor is referring to Cilla Black, not Barbara Windsor 😉

Oh thats consistent I have been all over the place the last couple of days, I guess it was true a pension isn't the  only thing that comes with old age. 

7 hours ago, Tazio said:

I remember sitting in a green room a few years ago chatting to a cast and a young just out of college actor was going on about taking a part in a soap meaning you were a sell out. Which then led to him finding out one of the other actors had done a few months in Eastenders. When he asked why he had done it the answer was £2500 a week and a large chunk of my mortgage paid off. Fast forward five years and the idealistic young actor was in River City for a long time. 
Idealism is all very well when you’re young, but reality soon kicks in. 

Always found it weird how some soap stars leave their cushy number thinking they are going to make it big time.

Reality is their soap careers is their big time.

Maroon Sailor
7 hours ago, benny said:

Always found it weird how some soap stars leave their cushy number thinking they are going to make it big time.

Some of them are lucky not to have their characters killed off.

A lot of them seem to end up crawling back when they are scratching around for work.

12 hours ago, benny said:

The ones that do the big public resignation and talk about their exciting future career and the show holding back tend to be the young ones who’ve only ever known the soap they’re in. 

13 hours ago, benny said:

Yeah delusions of grandeur really . I can only think of a few who have relatively successful careers leaving a soap , Sarah Lancaster, Surrane Jones , the woman who played Sheila grant in “ Brookside “ ( forgot her name ) and Soihbon Finnerman , 

5 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Some of them are lucky not to have their characters killed off.

A lot of them seem to end up crawling back when they are scratching around for work.

Yes and come out with lies stating they “ missed it “ pish 

19 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Yeah delusions of grandeur really . I can only think of a few who have relatively successful careers leaving a soap , Sarah Lancaster, Surrane Jones , the woman who played Sheila grant in “ Brookside “ ( forgot her name ) and Soihbon Finnerman , 

Which soap was Surrane Jones in ?     A few  seem to have their careers enhanced though, as a result of the TV soap exposure, but  not in traditional acting - e.g. Danny Dyer, Shane Ritchie, and the ones who appear on Strictly etc.      Contrast that with the likes of William Roache  - almost 60 years in Corrie and very little else.

The Real Maroonblood

Sue Johnston.

Weakened Offender

Neighbours was a soap and some of the biggest stars around were in that. Loads of American soap stars moved on to big things too. 

37 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Which soap was Surrane Jones in ?     A few  seem to have their careers enhanced though, as a result of the TV soap exposure, but  not in traditional acting - e.g. Danny Dyer, Shane Ritchie, and the ones who appear on Strictly etc.      Contrast that with the likes of William Roache  - almost 60 years in Corrie and very little else.

Corrie 

20 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Ricky Tomlinson, Arthur Lowe, Joanna Lumley, Susan Tully all started in soaps.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

There's quite a few when you look through them.

Susan Tully directs now.

41 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Neighbours was a soap and some of the biggest stars around were in that. Loads of American soap stars moved on to big things too. 

Ricky Martin was in General Hospital for many years before making it as a singer.  

54 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

True 

Jonny Depp was in the absolutely stinking tv show 21 Jump street before he was an A list star

19 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

There's quite a few when you look through them.

Susan Tully directs now.

Yes, that's why I quoted her. Very talented person. Has come a very long way from her days as the awkward pupil in Grange Hill.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Yes, that's why I quoted her. Very talented person. Has come a very long way from her days as the awkward pupil in Grange Hill.

👍

45 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Yes that’s true .