Cycling

Ainsley Harriott

Ainsley Harriott

I have gotten into cycling this year during lockdown and wondered if anyone could suggest good routes round Edinburgh and the Lothian. Not too keen to busy roads.

Depends where you are mate, I live in North Edinburgh and my 20 mile route is hopping on the cycle path down to leith/newhaven, back along seafront to Cramond then up and round Dalmeny estate and back. I normally use https://gb.mapometer.com/ to map out my cycles before I go, or a lot of my pals use Strava and log routes/times on there. The cycle paths in Edinburgh are great but I must admit I'm hibernating a bit... cycling in cold rain/wind is not for me! :D 

Good routes to the west of Edinburgh include:

Water of Leith path to Balerno.

Canal to Ratho and beyond (and out to Linlithgow / Falkirk if you want).

Cycle path alongside tramway past Edinburgh Park station and bypass and then onwards to Ratho / points west. 

Cycle path beside A90 to Dalmeny and back through the Dalmeny Estate (or vice-versa), or back through Dalmeny village and minor roads or old railway line to Kirkliston and back alongside A8 (on pavements / cycle-track / minor-roads).

From Balerno, there are options for alternative routes back on minor roads / farm tracks. From either there or Ratho, it's possible to cycle out to Kirknewton and back along Long Dalmahoy Road / Heriot-Watt campus / Baberton Road.

Water of Leith to Balerno has some obstacles, shall we say 😂 You can get around them but you will have to carry your bike. 

The one from Silverknowes to Queensferry is good. If you go through Cramond you will have to carry your bike up stairs then down scaffolded steps. 

Edited by Cruyff

I used to cycle a lot when training for triathlons and depending on the headwinds, would go into West or East Lothian. Some quieter roads in both areas- mapmyride, strava will show most of the variations if you search. 

The current trendy app for finding rides is Komoot. I’ve had a quick play with it and it’s pretty good. You can choose what kind of road you want in terms of quietness, surface, difficulty and so on, so miles better than google maps etc which offer cycling route planning. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Water of Leith to Balerno has some obstacles, shall we say 😂 You can get around them but you will have to carry your bike. 

The one from Silverknowes to Queensferry is good. If you go through Cramond you will have to carry your bike up stairs then down scaffolded steps. 

By "Water of Leith path", I was meaning going along the old railway to Colinton Village and then out along the riverside track. Are there now obstacles between Colinton Village and Balerno? Don't live in Edinburgh any more, so it's been a few years since I cycled that route.

5 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

By "Water of Leith path", I was meaning going along the old railway to Colinton Village and then out along the riverside track. Are there now obstacles between Colinton Village and Balerno? Don't live in Edinburgh any more, so it's been a few years since I cycled that route.

Nah, there's obstacles coming towards or after the Dean Village area, falling trees and landslips that the Council have never fixed going back 5 years or so. Instead they just stuck up fences, which you aren't meant to pass but you can just go around them.

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Nah, there's obstacles coming towards or after the Dean Village area, falling trees and landslips that the Council have never fixed going back 5 years or so. Instead they just stuck up fences, which you aren't meant to pass but you can just go around them.

:lol:  They're still there then?   :phface:

Council can't afford to fix the landslip at Dean Village, the entire hillside would need stabilising and it's not worth the expense considering how few people use it and how the detour around it is so short.

I do a 45 minute loop from Ravelston down to Silverknowes, along to Ocean Terminal and back up the cycle path. Only 5-10 minutes on the roads. 

41 minutes ago, Zico said:

I do a 45 minute loop from Ravelston down to Silverknowes, along to Ocean Terminal and back up the cycle path. Only 5-10 minutes on the roads. 

I do a similar loop, I just wonder if the cycle paths are ever going to dry out before next summer. Wet leaf covered paths aren’t nice, time to spunk a small fortune on decent mudguards. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I do a similar loop, I just wonder if the cycle paths are ever going to dry out before next summer. Wet leaf covered paths aren’t nice, time to spunk a small fortune on decent mudguards. 

I’ve got an xblade on the back. Still get a bit of muck off the front but a reasonable halfway house. Still need to clean the bike again this weekend though. As you highlight, barely had to do it for months over the spring/summer.