-*** Official matchday thread - Heart of Midlothian V Queen of the South***

Psychedelicropcircle

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Agreed. But I'd rather he didn't **** up the tactics next week and he will deserve criticism if he does.

Of course and I’ll criticise him as well but there’s a difference between criticism and a pre-conceived view that he shouldn’t have come back. In some people’s eyes he can do no right. Next week is probably beyond us regardless of the manager or tactics. If celtic turn up we are ****ed. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harry Potter

• neilnunb

• Jamhammer

• GinRummy

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Agreed. But I'd rather he didn't **** up the tactics next week and he will deserve criticism if he does.

What you  really mean is you'll criticise him if we get beat , the tactic malarkey is a smokescreen. You know it , I know it , everyone knows it . 

Francis Albert
2 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Thought we played very well today, and with a little more precision we could have had 2/3 more goals. As in most games one or two players had moments to forget, but overall I thought in general the team functioned well, and goals and winning brings confidence with it.

I most noticed that unlike in recent weeks, where players didn't look fully fit, those that have been carrying injuries looked much more like themselves today, which again is good news. Next week we step away from the league, and play the Scottish Cup Final. I hope the coaches build the team up this week in training to play as they have been playing, don't change everything to try and create a situation to try and stop Celtic. The only game(s) Celtic have looked half decent in this season is where the opposition stand off them and allow them to play. Lets just go out next weekend and play the way we are, don't change anything, don't sit in on the back foot. We'll go into the game as underdogs, but that doesn't mean we can't win it.

Excellent post. As with any opposition we have try to counteract their strengths and exploit their weaknesses but the focus should not be on the first to the exclusion of the second. 

21 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

If he goes through there and bottles having a go and we capitulate weakly as a result, you’re damn right he’ll be criticised. There is no possible justification for not having a go here. If we get beat having a go, which is possible and maybe even likely, I’ll not have a problem with it.

What if Celtic turn up and we can’t get the ball off them to ‘have a go’ ? We’re 11/1 for a reason ... if we win then it will be one of the best results in our history.

That, said 2-1 Hearts ...

1 minute ago, Barack said:

So, pragmatism is needed, we agree on that? The 4 nil win, was a freak once in a hundred plus year win, we know that. We had our chances last year, we all agree on that.  Celtic aren't firing on all cylinders, we agree on that. We aren't firing on all cylinders, we all agree on that. 

Where's the line...3, 4 nil defeat in a plucky attacking show? 

Shall we just take Hearts attacking where appropriate, and defending where appropriate...(most of the match in reality?)

I'm not enamoured by a lot of what I've seen this season. But in no way will I be holding his feet over the fire if Celtic win as expected. We don't at least attempt some kind of response, he will deserve scrutiny. Accountability for a close loss against Celtic, even if we play shite...no. He's one job this year. The Scottish Cup isn't it.

So the reality is this is a free hit in many ways. This Celtic team, even in second gear could give us a hiding, even if we play half decent that could still happen. It’s happened plenty of time before so 3 or 4 wouldn’t be a huge surprise. 

How to maximise your chances of beating a fragile Celtic has been the same for many years IMO. Don’t let them settle. Don’t let them get a rhythm. Don’t show fear. Don’t stand off them. Give their defence a game to play. Even doing all those things you might still get beat, but those things, to me, especially in a free hit situation, are essential. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

What if Celtic turn up and we can’t get the ball off them to ‘have a go’ ? We’re 11/1 for a reason ... if we win then it will be one of the best results in our history.

Worth a tenner. 👍

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

What odds were Ross County at for their league cup tie at Parkhead?

Just now, ramrod said:

Couldn't agree more and for the record we are huge underdogs next week but we have a punchers chance . 

Would be and incredible achievement for Robbie and the boys to beat Hibs in the semi final and Celtic in the final , absolutely incredible given the circumstances. 

Massive task , but we're in there with half a chance . 

If Hearts win next Sunday it’ll be the greatest result of any Hearts manager, ever.

Some folk appear to be toiling with that prospect.

I don’t think we’ll come close to causing an upset but unlike many, I won’t be holding it against RN.

4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Let’s be honest here, if Celtic ‘turn up’ we’ll get beat, probably by a margin. We’ve got to do as mush as possible as early as possible to stop them ‘turning up’  To me that’s done by testing them at the back and in deep midfield. If we end up trying to match our defence against their attack for 90 minutes we’ll lose 

Worthing Jambo
1 hour ago, sadj said:

Did you watch the game today? We could have had a Cowdenbeath result without any problem. We slowed it down a bit second half but then stepped it back up again. We had guile , invention , pace and Irving played some cracking balls. White and Ginnelly ran at the defence and Boyce and Naismith pulled the defence everywhere. Was by far the best we have clicked all season. 

Agree, and everyone worked their whatsits off.

Hopefully a hint of the attitude for next week because no matter what anyone says,  the players will have to focus 100% and work like their life depends on it.

9 minutes ago, luckydug said:

It might be sensible to take a night off when we have just won 6-1 going on for eight. 

If RN is as useless as you say you will get loads of chances to mock. 

Next Sunday is a different challenge altogether and Celtic are sure to come out of their bad patch sometime. 

So you might have some fun next Sunday night. 

Myself I would prefer to win the cup and eat humble pie. 

I won't come on here and mock Robbie for not beating celtic next week, because that's just not me, but at the same time I'm not going to be shouting from the rooftops, about beating Queen of the South. 

That's fecking embarrassing. 

My argument is can he take the club to the next level?. 

2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

The only thing that matters is we get out this division first time. If that’s the next level then yes he can. 

7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I won't come on here and mock Robbie for not beating celtic next week, because that's just not me, but at the same time I'm not going to be shouting from the rooftops, about beating Queen of the South. 

Maybe not but you know what we need this season? Someone to take us back to the top flight. After the shambles that have been the last two seasons nothing can be taken for granted and he’s an understandable and somewhat safe choice. Let him get on with it and we’ll deal with the next level some other season. 

Edited by GinRummy

Worthing Jambo
1 hour ago, RobNox said:

I missed the 4th, only caught the replay for the 5th, and when it cut out again in the final minutes, I didn't bother trying to reconnect, thinking the game was over, so I missed the 6th as well.

Flawless today and my BT internet is shite!

6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Out of curiosity, what would he need to achieve to change your mind? 

Worthing Jambo
56 minutes ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Something I have noticed this season is he almost never does that pointless punt up the park, always looks to play the easy pass....dunno if that’s the criticism from fans (rightly so) or Robbie telling him to cut it out...he looks so much better for it?

It is more midfield players coming short to receive the pass rather then relying on Berra being playmaker!

9 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I won't come on here and mock Robbie.....because that's just not me

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Robbie will be the same as Craig Levein was, when he managed Hearts in a cup final, and that's Loser. 

Robbie Neilson's greatest ever achievement, getting to a cup final, due to someone winning 3 games for him to get there. 

Scottish championship will be right up there, in the footballing world of achievements 🙄

Europe achieved plums, Scottish Premiership achieved plums. 

MK dons achieved plums leading to them getting relegated. 

Dundee United false promotion due to league getting called early, with having biggest budget in league. 

And on second try 😂

Fist pumping getting to pens against St Mirren who have a man sent off, only to lose to them on pens. 

Scottish Cup arse handed to him by a guy that has a third eye ach ye know 😂

36 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Thought we played very well today, and with a little more precision we could have had 2/3 more goals. As in most games one or two players had moments to forget, but overall I thought in general the team functioned well, and goals and winning brings confidence with it.

I most noticed that unlike in recent weeks, where players didn't look fully fit, those that have been carrying injuries looked much more like themselves today, which again is good news. Next week we step away from the league, and play the Scottish Cup Final. I hope the coaches build the team up this week in training to play as they have been playing, don't change everything to try and create a situation to try and stop Celtic. The only game(s) Celtic have looked half decent in this season is where the opposition stand off them and allow them to play. Lets just go out next weekend and play the way we are, don't change anything, don't sit in on the back foot. We'll go into the game as underdogs, but that doesn't mean we can't win it.

couldn’t agree more, posted similar on the game thread, we need to get at them from the start , there defence is leaking goals , we cannot allow them to build momentum and confidence . Really hope they get beat or draw today , with a big rangers win, to pile the pressure really on them as a club 

Francis Albert
25 minutes ago, ramrod said:

What you  really mean is you'll criticise him if we get beat , the tactic malarkey is a smokescreen. You know it , I know it , everyone knows it . 

No. I just meant what I said. Which did not include tactic malarkey or smokescreens. I doubt very much I will be critisising Robbie for losing to Celtic. In fact I can pretty much  guarantee I will reserve any criticism for losing to Championship sides.

25 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

What odds were Ross County at for their league cup tie at Parkhead?

18/1 ... one of the best results in the history of Ross County FC?

29 minutes ago, Barack said:

So it's a free hit. Where either a 4, 5 or 6 nil defeat is possible from Celtic; as illustrated in the past under numerous managers, irrespective of what strategy they employ against them, being possible. Excellent. Glad we've come to an agreement on that, other than what result you'd deem acceptable if we lose to them.

We've a chance against Celtic. Same as Ross County did. Are we better than Lille, whom Celtic beat recently...**** no. 

Let's be honest, he's damned if he does or doesn't in folk's eye's. 

I’ve seen Hearts teams lose to Celtic with a bad attitude to the game where they were beat before they got off the team bus. I’ve also seen Hearts teams lose to Celtic but we made a game of it. I’ve seen us play well and deservedly beat them (not very often) I can’t remember us getting anything from sitting back all game and letting them have a free run, hoping for a breakaway goal

Listen, the most likely result is a Celtic win and I expect they will win. Even a Celtic team as disjointed as this one will surely put a game together when there is a trophy at stake.

BUT We’ve got players in our team who will be looking forward to this enormously and see a chance if we give it all we’ve got. Experienced Men like Naismith, Boyce, Gordon, Halliday, Haring who don’t fear Celtic.

All you can ask us that they do their absolute best having been sent out with the right attitude and the right tactics, which I’ve already alluded to. I don’t want them told to contain the game or be overly focussed on what Celtic might do and see if we can pinch something in the break. We’ve seen that movie so many time before and it always has the same ending.

Edited by JimmyCant

Just now, RedStarRiot said:

Out of curiosity, what would he need to achieve to change your mind? 

Well that all depends what you think our ambitions as a club should be. 

My expectations of any Hearts manager, quite demanding but i think we are a massive club, with huge potential. 

Minimum expectation of 4 place every season, cups minimum expectation semi finals. 

After 1st year back in premiership becoming best of the rest recognised outwith, the old firm. 

Where i think we will succeed home form should never be a problem, for any hearts manager, Tynecastle can be an absolute fortress. 

What i have my doubts about away form, big games, going in front and then holding back. 

Style of play i believe Neilson has his limits, but hope he can prove me wrong. 

Worthing Jambo
36 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Excellent post. As with any opposition we have try to counteract their strengths and exploit their weaknesses but the focus should not be on the first to the exclusion of the second. 

I think we should sit off them and let them have the ball for the first 20 minutes, so they can build up some confidence.

Once they build up a head of steam, we can come back and attack them with 10 mins to go.

But, tactics won’t have any impact apparently.

Get in their faces from the start and hard.

Go out to win.

All this shite about choosing between league and cup, is just shite, who invented this modern shite about having to pick one over the other, jeez!!

10 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Telling you what will happen, as i don't see us winning it. 

But that doesn't mean im going to be the first on here to slag him off. If we lose I'm giving you my prediction,

I think celtic will win against killie, and will be to strong for us too. 

Just don't get how everyone thinks he's the dog bollocks?. 

When I'm right in saying he's achieved what? 

1 hour ago, RedStarRiot said:

Mad some folk are still knocking one off over the guy who took us to the bottom of the table brought in some howling players. Stendel wasn't the answer, he had a couple good wins and some decent sound bites to soften up the fans but in general he was honking. Neilson is fine just now and doing whats expected.  

Jury still out on Neilson, he is managing a team in the championship so anything other than promotion Is failure. He’s got a free hit next week against a fragile Celtic team, let’s hope he sends his team out to have a go because today we looked good going forward. Time will tell

7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

But that doesn't mean im going to be the first on here to slag him off. If we lose I'm giving you my prediction,

Won the championship twice 😀

5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Stendel got sacked from Barnsley and relegated us. Yet you think he is the dogs bollocks.

Perhaps if he hadn’t FAILED, this chat between us would be redundant.

But he did Fail.

57 minutes ago, Barack said:

So, pragmatism is needed, we agree on that? The 4 nil win, was a freak once in a hundred plus year win, we know that. We had our chances last year, we all agree on that.  Celtic aren't firing on all cylinders, we agree on that. We aren't firing on all cylinders, we all agree on that. 

Where's the line...3, 4 nil defeat in a plucky attacking show? 

Shall we just take Hearts attacking where appropriate, and defending where appropriate...(most of the match in reality?)

I'm not enamoured by a lot of what I've seen this season. But in no way will I be holding his feet over the fire if Celtic win as expected. We don't at least attempt some kind of response, he will deserve scrutiny. Accountability for a close loss against Celtic, even if we play shite...no. He's one job this year. The Scottish Cup isn't it.

Today was a very good performance mate. Played a lot of good football , created a lot , looked inventive and Irving strolled through it. Boyce and Lee should have scored , White and Ginnelly just ran straight at them and 6-1 flattered QoS just imo

2 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Stendel got sacked from Barnsley and relegated us. Yet you think he is the dogs bollocks.

Perhaps if he hadn’t FAILED, this chat between us would be redundant.

But he did Fail.

He played a relatively small part in our Demotion. Doncaster, Levein and Budge in that order were far more culpable.

Just now, JimmyCant said:

He played a relatively small part in our Demotion. Doncaster, Levein and Budge in that order were far more culpable.

I was in Paisley.

He played a significant part.

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, JimmyCant said:

We would’ve had a better chance of staying up if we’d kept Levein 

10 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Not really. We have recently struggled, and lost, to Dunfermline and Alloa, that's what I was judging us on. We are team with no pace and next to no creativity. We are playing against utter shite.

Dunfermline although we didnt get going until it was 2-0 we could easily have drawn or won we had the chances. Alloa is one of those things in football. You can see week by week the players understanding and instincts together are getting better. Today we near enough clicked. You beat whats in front of you and Neilson is doing that for the most part. He is driven and he wants to be in Europe competing for the Group Stages , he isn’t just sitting going ach DG says its shite we are playing against so stroll about guys. Seems like hes here for the long term this time. We have pace , not enough though and we have creativity. Getting the balance to maximise that has been a big problem. Today showed we can do it and that squad is not as shite as you think it is.

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, GinRummy said:

Ffs. 

100%. Would’ve ground out a few results when he got Naismith back and got 9th or 10th whereas Flopp failed 

2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We would’ve had a better chance of staying up if we’d kept Levein 

Aye that fella who won 4 games in a year was saving us right enough

Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

100%. Would’ve ground out a few results when he got Naismith back and got 9th or 10th whereas Flopp failed 

Ok. 

8 minutes ago, Barack said:

Like I've said, no matter which approach is taken on Sunday, it's wrong according to some people. 

That’s not true and you know it. The right approach is obvious. Hopefully it’s obvious to those who matter. It might not get the result we want but the approach is a no brainer. Let’s just see what pans out before we go judging the approach to a game that’s a week away. He (RN) has at least earned the chance with his approach in the semi final.

Most were quite happy with our approach to the last cup final which we ended up losing

Edited by JimmyCant

A_A wehatethehibs
6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Aye that fella who won 4 games in a year was saving us right enough

Was more of an indictment of Flopp than an endorsement of Levein. Both rightly dismissed after results deserted them 

Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Was more of an indictment of Flopp than an endorsement of Levein. Both rightly dismissed after results deserted them 

I think the worst judgement fair to lay at the door of Stendel is that he didn’t make any difference 

7 minutes ago, Barack said:

James, believe it or not, that wasn't aimed at you. There are some who think that way amongst out support. Whether you or I agree on that, is neither here nor there.

Fwiw, I think we will lose. However, it will be a goal difference either way. If we win...it'll be up there with '98.

I thought we’d lose in 98 and winning against a Rangers team of that quality would be a hard act to trump. I think we’re bigger underdogs next week than we were in 98 and seems to me that us winning depends in large part on Celtic having another real mare.

We’ve a chance but there’s a gulf in class that we’ll need to suppress one way or another.bee won in 98 because an ageing Rangers team were at the end of an era and we had 7 or 8 players playing the game of their lives. We’ll need similar things to fall into place next week.

Edited by JimmyCant

1 minute ago, Barack said:

We have. I'm actually glad, all things considered, we've had an adult debate about this. 

Just shows what’s possible on here sometimes. Cheers 🥂 

4 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

trying to think if we're ever won the cup with such a poor team?

Probably no but the 2012 team wasnt great apart from that cup run where we lucked out round after round till the semi final and of course it had a talisman 

Edited by JimmyCant

It's sad to see what this thread has descended into. We need to stop looking backwards, we cannot change the past so why focus on it 🤷‍♂️ great performance and  result today even if it's "only QoS"... you can only beat what's in front of you. Time to skelp the victims now

2 minutes ago, WDJ87 said:

It's sad to see what this thread has descended into. We need to stop looking backwards, we cannot change the past so why focus on it 🤷‍♂️ great performance and  result today even if it's "only QoS"... you can only beat what's in front of you. Time to skelp the victims now

Well said 👏