John Lennon

ri Alban

Remember that day well. I was at my parents then home studying for exams when it came across the radio. Couldn’t study much after that. 

Maroon Sailor

One of those moments when you knew where you were.

I was in the Wester Hailes shopping Centre after school that day. I was walking up the stairs and looked down over the railings as I walked round to read the headline John Lennon shot dead on the front page of the Evening News some man was reading.

Was onboard Hms Intrepid in Portsmouth Harbour, when I heard it on the local radio station, radio Victory.

I was in first year at school. I don't actually recall when I heard but do remember the day well, the tv scenes outside the Dakota building and outpouring of grief in central park and elsewhere.  A kid I knew said he'd played Lennon records all night. I assume his parents collection now. 

Shanks said no

My memory of it was the next morning, going to newsagents in Corstorphine to do my paper run. Newsagent was politically far to the right of Adolf H and was repeatedly describing Lennon as a communist b to any customer who would listen. 

Still 40 years later remember thinking you are a complete and utter erse. 

wonder if any locals know which newsagent I am referring to? 

Actually really went off John Peel later that night. He came on and said a few words but then said he didn't do tributes, then proceeded to slate Double Fantasy and resumed his normal show. Always thought that there must have been more to it for a fellow Liverpudlian not to play a couple of the more obscure Lennon tunes to mark his tragic end.

Heard the news on the radio before I set off for school. Only 12 at the time.

Often wondered what John would have been like as he got older.

Also wonder if the wee bit of work McCartney/Harrison/Starr did together in the mid 90's would have been a full blown reunion if Lennon had been around. 

Happy Xmas (war is over).

So this is Christmas....

Brilliant song by a brilliant artist - for some reason, I think this would be a very appropriate ‘Christmas Number 1’ in the horrible year that has been 2020.

J.T.F.Robertson

I seem to recall watching a Monday Night Football game when the broadcast was interrupted to announce it.

Didn’t really bother me at the time. 17 year old punk rocker who thought music began in 1976 and everything prior was “dinosaur music”

I know better now and really got into Lennon/Beatles through George Harrison. 
Sad loss

13 years old, woken up to the news headlines on my wee brother’s then new fangled digital radio alarm. Got up to get ready for school at Hamilton Grammar (2nd year). I was gutted. Suddenly a Beatles reunion was no longer possible. All 4 were actually on good terms at the time. There was wall to wall news coverage and reruns of old Beatles films for the next few days. 40 years yet all so vivid. His then current single ‘Starting Over’, despite being his 1st output in 5 years, had received a cool initial response. Needless to say it did a U turn and shot straight to Number 1 the next week and so too much of his solo back catalogue.

45 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Watching the John and Yoko documentary now on more 4. Pretty mental to be honest. 

I believe She used to exclusively answer the phone and didn’t pass all calls on to John. Including a good few from Paul. She was and is seriously weird and controlling.

I remember that Lennon's death had less of an impact on me at the time than it might have had a couple of years earlier.  I got (and get) the Beatles, and likewise I got (and get) Lennon.  The trouble is that his last bit of musical output was truly shit.  Yoko Ono had the talent of a breeze block, and it was the dumbest of artistic and career moves to do any kind of musical collaboration with her.  The sad truth is that Lennon's career finished with the kind of album you would never release if you thought for one instant it would be your last.  There's a lesson in that for all of us, I reckon.

Maroon Sailor
7 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I remember that Lennon's death had less of an impact on me at the time than it might have had a couple of years earlier.  I got (and get) the Beatles, and likewise I got (and get) Lennon.  The trouble is that his last bit of musical output was truly shit.  Yoko Ono had the talent of a breeze block, and it was the dumbest of artistic and career moves to do any kind of musical collaboration with her.  The sad truth is that Lennon's career finished with the kind of album you would never release if you thought for one instant it would be your last.  There's a lesson in that for all of us, I reckon.

Starting Over and Woman were not bad

8 hours ago, Ulysses said:

More than a couple years. His previous release to Double Fantasy in 1980 was the Rock’n’Roll covers album in 1975. His peak solo album was Imagine in 1971. Moving to the States didn’t really do that much for his music or his longevity.