Quick question for any Sparkies

FWJ

Is it an easy job to wire a couple of table lamps to a wall switch? (ie avoiding a socket/plug and trailing cable)

I should add I won’t be attempting this myself (!) but is it straightforward enough in the right hands?

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, FWJ said:

Is it an easy job to wire a couple of table lamps to a wall switch? (ie avoiding a socket/plug and trailing cable)

I should add I won’t be attempting this myself (!) but is it straightforward enough in the right hands?

:Shoosh:

If you wire it straight to the wall socket you're skipping the fuse...

You could wire it to the ceiling light circuit ring I think. Hotels do that but I guess that's also to stop people nicking their table lamps.

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, FWJ said:

electrical-shock-26649429.jpg

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, FWJ said:

2 hours ago, FWJ said:

What is it your trying to avoid? You’d still need a cable from the lamp to a fused spur on the wall

13 minutes ago, mutley said:

What is it your trying to avoid? You’d still need a cable from the lamp to a fused spur on the wall

The fused spur could be behind the sideboard that the lamp is on avoiding trailing cables and it saves putting on the main light, walking over to the plug  and then back to switch off the main light. (Seems like the ultimate laziness - but then who doesn’t use a TV remote!)

It seems I’ve made a really outlandish and dangerous enquiry - but if I can flick a wall switch and wall lights are wired to come on then why are table lights (or a standard lamp) different?

I’m not being Devil’s advocate, I really don’t know.

44 minutes ago, FWJ said:

The fused spur could be behind the sideboard that the lamp is on avoiding trailing cables and it saves putting on the main light, walking over to the plug  and then back to switch off the main light. (Seems like the ultimate laziness - but then who doesn’t use a TV remote!)

It seems I’ve made a really outlandish and dangerous enquiry - but if I can flick a wall switch and wall lights are wired to come on then why are table lights (or a standard lamp) different?

I wasn’t meaning to sound arsey just trying to find out what you were wanting to avoid. It’s doable but it would mean raggleing walls or lifting floor boards to get the wiring in place. 
Have you considered a remote control socket setup? You can get them on Amazon and mount the remote on the wall

20 minutes ago, mutley said:

I wasn’t meaning to sound arsey just trying to find out what you were wanting to avoid. It’s doable but it would mean raggleing walls or lifting floor boards to get the wiring in place. 
Have you considered a remote control socket setup? You can get them on Amazon and mount the remote on the wall

👍  

If it means having to redecorate etc then maybe I’ll give it a miss. 

4 hours ago, FWJ said:

Sounds to me like you're a big coward.

Man up and crack on. Remember to keep the power on otherwise how will you know the light works.......

1 hour ago, mutley said:

DEWENWILS Remote Control Plug Socket, 13A/3120W Heavy Duty Wireless Light Switch, 30m/100ft Long Range, Programmable, CE and RoHS Listed, 1 Pack Sockets and 1 Remote https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YKFD952/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_vPvZFbMEZEN5R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Bloody hell, a solution to a problem on this forum at last. 👍

Might get one myself. 

Walter Payton
10 hours ago, FWJ said:

Alternatively if you've got an Amazon Alexa in the room, you could use these bulbs. Name them individually but place them in a group "bedroom" and all you'd need is "Alexa, turn on/off the bedroom lights". https://smile.amazon.co.uk/LIFX-lumens-Dimmable-required-HomeKit/dp/B086HNXJRR/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2GZ3TOS50EYPB&dchild=1&keywords=lifx+bulb&qid=1607328344&sprefix=lifx%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-6

Edited by Walter Payton

10 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Sounds to me like you're a big coward.

Man up and crack on. Remember to keep the power on otherwise how will you know the light works.......

Man up😧its electricity not playdoh, think hes better sticking to the original plug set up.

42 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Man up😧its electricity not playdoh, think hes better sticking to the original plug set up.

I reckon he was joking...

hope he was joking  🤣

16 minutes ago, FWJ said:

hope he was joking  🤣

Think he was bud, so are you any further forward on a plan of action.

1 hour ago, Walter Payton said:

Alternatively if you've got an Amazon Alexa in the room, you could use these bulbs. Name them individually but place them in a group "bedroom" and all you'd need is "Alexa, turn on/off the bedroom lights". https://smile.amazon.co.uk/LIFX-lumens-Dimmable-required-HomeKit/dp/B086HNXJRR/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2GZ3TOS50EYPB&dchild=1&keywords=lifx+bulb&qid=1607328344&sprefix=lifx%2Caps%2C171&sr=8-6

Don't even need alexa/google home etc, asda do bulbs for 8-10 quid that are a brand called TCP that come with their own mobile app

11 hours ago, FWJ said:

hope he was joking  🤣

11 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Think he was bud, so are you any further forward on a plan of action.

No way was I joking.

I do feel foolish for forgetting to mention about also keeping his hands wet while working to avoid cracked skin.

11 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

No way was I joking.

I do feel foolish for forgetting to mention about also keeping his hands wet while working to avoid cracked skin.

😵.

highlandjambo3
On 06/12/2020 at 19:34, FWJ said:

An electrician couldn’t do it?  
A wall switch can only be used for ceiling or wall lights?

As Jonathan Woss said......”there are wools & wegulations”